VERDICT WATCH VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sky News

'Everyone in Hollywood knew': Depp's lawyer addresses Washington Post article

Ben Chew, Johnny Depp's lawyer, tells the court that Amber Heard "lies all the time" and "has an excuse for everything".

However, "in this courtroom, confronted with the evidence, she can't run away from her own words".

He now shows the court once again Heard's Washington Post first-person column, which is headlined: "I spoke up against sexual violence — and faced our culture’s wrath. That has to change."

This was published in December 2018, two years after Heard filed for a restraining order against Depp in May 2016.

In the article, she wrote: "Then two years ago, I became a public figure representing domestic abuse, and I felt the full force of our culture’s wrath for women who speak out."

Further down, she wrote: "I had the rare vantage point of seeing, in real time, how institutions protect men accused of abuse."

Mr Chew says these lines "clearly" refer to Heard's allegations against Depp. Their message and implication is clear, the lawyer says - that Heard is a "survivor of domestic abuse" and Depp is a "perpetrator".

Mr Chew reads out the following paragraph: "Imagine a powerful man as a ship, like the Titanic. That ship is a huge enterprise. When it strikes an iceberg, there are a lot of people on board desperate to patch up holes — not because they believe in or even care about the ship, but because their own fates depend on the enterprise."

He says "everyone in Hollywood knew" what Heard meant in her article.

Mr Chew says Heard has done a "lot to try and walk away from the title", he says, with the actress previously testifying she did not write the headline.

However, he says that Heard did not have to "personally write any part of the op-ed for her to defame Mr Depp through implication".

"Make no mistake," he says. "This was about Mr Depp."

The note passing .. AH is still trying to control the narrative .. lets see how many notes JD passes his team when its her turn for closing :rolleyes: MOO .. she has no trust in her team knowing her story .. because her story continues to change .. right up until the end.
So true, classic symptom of “I know better than anyone so listen to me, me, me”

Sky News

'We implore you to give him his name, his reputation and his career back'

Johnny Depp's lawyer Ben Chew says the most important questions the jury needs to consider are:

Were the statements (in Heard's Washington Post article, as detailed in previous post) about Mr Depp? "Yes," he says.
Were each of the statements false and did the statements have a defamatory implication? "The clear answer is yes."
Mr Chew says the statements are "despicably false".

"While Mr Depp's name will be forever tarnished by these horrendous and false allegations, this case is about telling you his story and the truth about what really happened," Mr Chew says.

"It is about restoring his lost reputation. It's about showing Mr Depp's children, LR and J, that the truth is worth fighting for."

He says Depp has been carrying these "outrageous" stories for six years.

"He has told you the truth, the unvarnished truth, even truth that [is] pretty embarrassing. He knew that was going to happen when he brought this case."

Mr Chew finishes by saying: "We implore you to give him his name, his reputation and his career back."

I thought the closing was brilliant and to the point. Loved when Ben said "they're still at it" in response to Heard's team arguing what Heard testified to.

Now, since Amber has been writing a novel during the closing, let's see how her closing goes. I suspect she wants her attorneys to tailor the closing in response to Johnny's closing and toss their original closing which may really get them "off their game" so to speak.

Loved the hugging and huddling of Johnny's team when leaving for break. Good luck Johnny!

I can't imagine what AH's crossing will focus on. To me one of the issues with her story is that there are no medical records, how? I'm not even talking about records that show she had bad injuries. Just medical records when she went to go get check ups for over all health? Imo it's because she had a nurse - so she didn't need to go to a doctor. And as we know the nurse found no injuries etc... the way AH describes how she was beat, injuries would have been very visible imo. Anyway - it's just very clear to me. Either everyone that testified lied about not seeing anything, or AH is lying. /just a rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member