VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And someone said he saw her punch him with a closed fist.

I think that was Travis, aka ‘The Beard’; and I also note that I’m sure he’s the person who basically said ‘yeah, when they were having marital discussions we didn’t hover over them… that’s their business.’ In the 1:09:39 clip we can in fact hear him come into the area where they were, to say ‘hey, her Uber is here’… does anyone really think that AH wanted them to be present during arguments and intimate moments in which SHE appeared unflattering?!

I have heard several witnesses testify about abuse they have seen. Just yesterday the security guy said she threw a can and hit him in the back.
She’ll come up with all sorts of “witnesses” too most likely. Today a has-been actress claimed she saw his violent side many years ago. Anyone looking for relevance that has long passed them by is piling on.

Typical. Transparent.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Sky News

The defendant's first witness...

Amber Heard's team's first witness is clinical and forensic psychologist Dawn Hughes, who is based in New York.

She is being questioned first by Elaine Bredehoft, one of the actress's lawyers.

Sky News

Dr Hughes tells the court about her experience working with people with issues such as substance abuse, mental health and domestic abuse and trauma, as well as war veterans and child sex abuse survivors.

She has a private practice in Manhattan, she tells the court, and also has a faculty position at Weill Cornell medical college, which is unpaid. She tells the court she teaches ethics to interns.

Her expertise is interpersonal violence and traumatic stress, Dr Hughes tells the court. Interpersonal violence includes domestic violence, rape and sexual assault, the court hears.

She says she has been practising for about 25 to 30 years and has examined "hundreds upon hundreds" of victims of interpersonal violence during the course of her career.

Dr Hughes has been involved in training New York State Supreme Court justices on issues of interpersonal violence and traumatic stress, the court hears.

She takes the court through all her work and qualifications, as well as leadership positions in the field.

Dawn Hughes is a breath of fresh air...east coast...no dropping names...no catering to hollywood celebs. I know the DP groupies will not like her but I am really open to what she has to say.

… does that mean Death Penalty groupies? Diet Pepsi groupies? Just wondering, because I’m afraid that as a neutral party I’m not acquainted with what ‘DP’ stands for…

Sky News

What does intimate partner violence mean?

Expert witness psychologist Dawn Hughes is asked to explain what domestic violence (DV) and intimate partner violence (IPV) mean, and tells the court that when she talks about these she means the same thing.

IPV is a "pattern of manipulation and coercive control" which can include a variety of abuse - physical, emotional, sexual, economic, she tells the court.

"The abusive behaviours occur over time, not all at once," she says, and are also interspersed with "normal times" and "love and care" - which is what makes it difficut for a victim to leave.

The overarching dynamic is of "one person wanting to have dominance in that relationship", Dr Hughes tells the court.

Dawn Hughes is a breath of fresh air...east coast...no dropping names...no catering to hollywood celebs. I know the DP groupies will not like her but I am really open to what she has to say.

Respectfully, I'm not sure why you say DP groupies? I believe we are all adults here are very capable of hearing the testimony and coming to our own conclusions. Not everyone hears and sees things the same way .. that does not mean we are groupies.

Sky News

What does intimate partner violence mean?

Expert witness psychologist Dawn Hughes is asked to explain what domestic violence (DV) and intimate partner violence (IPV) mean, and tells the court that when she talks about these she means the same thing.

IPV is a "pattern of manipulation and coercive control" which can include a variety of abuse - physical, emotional, sexual, economic, she tells the court.

"The abusive behaviours occur over time, not all at once," she says, and are also interspersed with "normal times" and "love and care" - which is what makes it difficut for a victim to leave.

The overarching dynamic is of "one person wanting to have dominance in that relationship", Dr Hughes tells the court.

the part bbm sounds like she is describing AH

Sky News

Defining sexual abuse, stalking and economic abuse

Amber Heard's lawyer Elaine Bredehoft is now asking psychologist Dawn Hughes about sexual abuse.

Dr Hughes tells the court that any non-consensual sexual act is sexually abusive.

Sexual violence is an umbrella term that can include rape, childhood sexual abuse, or any other forms of sexual abuse.

Ms Bredehoft then asks about stalking and "surveillance" such as monitoring phones, interrogation and getting others to check up on a partner.

Dr Hughes says this "erodes" a victim's autonomy and sense of privacy.

Economic abuse can be another way of "maintaining control", sometimes not allowing access to finances - leaving people more dependent on their partners.

These behaviours are not always present in a relationship affected by interpersonal violence, she tells the court.

I don't like the way she keeps using "her" and "him", rather than "abuser" and "abused".

ETA: I think she's making a HUGE mistake.

thank you, was just coming to post that. The assumption by this expert, who otherwise is quite interesting, is that abusers are male and victims, female. However much of what she is describing as far as the dynamics of abusive relationships is dead on IME. sadly IMO these things are describing AH, not JD, as the abuser. Much of what she describes as the abuser behavior we have heard evidence was exhibited by AH, not JD.

I have many years experience in an intimate relationship with a narc. I think it's why this trial has captured me. I relate to JD's experiences of AH as described by him and others.

Sky News

'Trauma bond'

Amber Heard's lawyer Elaine Bredehoft is now asking psychologist Dawn Hughes, an expert witness, how a victim of sexual assault by a partner might act.

"This is one of the myths," Dr Hughes tells the court, that a victim would leave. "Nothing could be further from the truth," she says. Victims "bury it" and try to reach out to the "kind and loving" person they entered the relationship with.

Heard is yet to give her testimony, but Ms Bredehoft told the court during her opening statement that the actress would tell the court she suffered sexual abuse.

What role does "love and normalcy" play in domestic violence in relationships? Ms Bredehoft asks.

In a "lull", the victim is back with the loving partner they wanted in the first place, Dr Hughes says.

Pairing a violent dynamic with the love and attachment creates a "trauma bond, a psychological bond", she says.

This makes it difficult for a victim to leave or even believe that she can and she should, she says.

Asked to describe "love bombing", she says this is showering someone with affection and love - sending flowers, buying gifts, going on trips - which gets people "hooked" on the kindness.

Would a victim yell at a partner? Dr Hughes is asked. "Absolutely."

A victim can be afraid but can also be angry at the same time, she says.

Some will fight back "even though the risk of violence is there", she says.

Respectfully, I'm not sure why you say DP groupies? I believe we are all adults here are very capable of hearing the testimony and coming to our own conclusions. Not everyone hears and sees things the same way .. that does not mean we are groupies.

I know, I’ve never even seen all of the Pirates movies… I was working full time and going to school.

I never spent any time on social media until the pandemic; I didn’t even really like it, so I don’t have any idea what type of baggage Johnny Depp fans are dragging around behind them since 2014… I just remember glaring showbusiness things.

This is, and also was for some time, a glaring show biz thing, if anyone cares at all about show business. The case he won against his former business managers in 2017 (?), about working without the net of contracts, was, not to put too fine a point on it since it’s not the topic at hand, a game changer for the entire industry.

Question for any of those who followed the UK trial... Do you think overall public opinion was initially in JD's favor against The Sun BUT changed in favor of The Sun after AH's testimony? If so, was it her direct testimony and evidence that swayed the opinion, or something else??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Her Orangeness