VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! But she didn't,obviously,because if she did she would've done it way bigger and better :rolleyes::D
That was brilliant the way Camille replied to AH when she said that.

IIRC, Camille had said to AH,[paraphrased]--- 'you told TMZ to come film you getting the TRO, didn't you...and you gave them the kitchen video...and set the whole thing up...'

Amber angrily replied [paraphrasing]--- ' INCORRECT, I did not do that, you Are wrong...if I was going to set something up it would have been much bigger and better anyway'

and Camille replied [paraphrasing]--- ' I thought you didn't know how to contact TMZ or anyone like that, wasn't that your testimony?'

That was brilliant the way Camille replied to AH when she said that.

IIRC, Camille had said to AH,[paraphrased]--- 'you told TMZ to come film you getting the TRO, didn't you...and you gave them the kitchen video...and set the whole thing up...'

Amber angrily replied [paraphrasing]--- ' INCORRECT, I did not do that, you Are wrong...if I was going to set something up it would have been much bigger and better anyway'

and Camille replied [paraphrasing]--- ' I thought you didn't know how to contact TMZ or anyone like that, wasn't that your testimony?'
It was amazing! AH lost it. AH's behaviour was violent and intimidating imo. So scary what JD had to deal with in that relationship.

I thought CV was very aggressive with her- everyone else seems to think it was warranted, and a great tactic, but I am not sure it was not too confrontational, IMOO.
I think it was the perfect strategy. It pushed Amber over the edge just enough to reveal her true character. It was important for the jury to get a glimpse of her inner ugliness.
I feel like her testimony did not address how his attorney affected her. Her testimony was how his "supposed abuse" affects her. That to me means she loses her counterclaim.

She can't have a career because she is horrible at acting.

She even said it is since the trial - the trial is not on trial here unless I am wrong.

She should feel humiliated because she is horrible at testifying.
YES< she screwed up with that rebuttal. She was supposed to hit home the damages done to her career because of JD and his attorney's statements to DM.

Her attorneys and experts testified that she had some work she lost because of the alleged defamation. They even specified one of the projects ---Ambulance ---and said she was set to star in it but lost it because of the DM articles. And they claimed she was on the precipice of a huge wave towards stardom until JD lied about her.

She should have discussed that and talked about the specific projects she lost, and given examples of how she wasn't getting any big auditions anymore.

It seemed like she totally abandoned the countersuit and just got swe0pt up in bashing JD some more instead.

Jurors in the defamation trial between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard will not consider whether Adam Waldman, Depp’s former attorney who was kicked off of the case, had free speech protections when he made allegedly defamatory statements against Heard.

In a key ruling on jury instructions, the judge overseeing the case sided with Heard’s lawyers on Thursday that Waldman does not qualify for privilege, a defense from defamation, because his statements were not in response to anything Heard said or wrote. A ruling the other way could have led to jurors outright denying Heard’s $100 million counterclaim against Depp.

Waldman, other than Heard and Depp, is the central figure of the trial. Heard has claimed that Depp, through Waldman, defamed her by calling her abuse accusations a hoax.

Ben Rottenborn, representing Heard, said of Waldman that it cannot be the case “that defending yourself through judicially immune statements in a lawsuit entitles someone to go out and say whatever they want to avail themselves to privilege.” He called Waldman — thrown off of the case for leaking information covered by a protective order to the press — Depp’s “attack dog.”

Asked about Heard’s statements that Waldman was responding to entitling him to a defense of privilege, a lawyer for Depp pointed to an article in The Sun that called the actor a “wife beater.”

“They have to be Ms. Heard’s statements,” Fairfax County Circuit Court Judge Penney Azcarate replied.

Trials are won and lost on jury instructions. They tell jurors how they should apply legal standards, treat certain evidence and consider objections, among other things. Jury instructions can get hotly contested, especially in a long trial with dozens of witnesses and exhibits.

Depp argued that the question of whether Waldman qualifies for privilege should be decided by a jury. Under defamation law, people can claim the defense if they’re sued for defamation responding to an allegedly defamatory statement from someone else.

Samuel Moniz, representing Depp, said, “The statements were clearly in direct response to Ms. Heard’s allegations on their face. Whether that response was fair and reasonable is a jury question.”

Azcarate initially appeared to side with Depp. Disagreeing with Heard’s attorneys on whether the issue is a matter of law, she said the question swings on “whether or not there is any evidence that a jury can find [of Waldman’s statements] being protected speech.”

The judge added, “I don’t think it’s my role to weigh that evidence.”

The discussion turned when Azcarate pressed Depp’s lawyers on specific statements from Heard that Waldman was responding to. She ultimately refused to deliver Depp’s requested jury instruction, emphasizing that privilege can only be claimed if there is no actual malice.

“The only way to find defamatory statements in this case is if there’s actual malice,” Azcarate said. “That’s unique to this case, and I understand that. But if they find actual malice in the defamatory statements, you don’t have protected speech privilege anyway.”

For her to prevail in her counterclaim, Heard has to prove that Waldman made the allegedly defamatory statements with actual malice, or the knowledge that he knew his claims were lies.

In another ruling on jury instructions, the judge agreed with Depp’s lawyers that jurors should be told not to draw inferences from their objections during Waldman’s deposition.

“To be fair, you wanted to keep [the objections] in,” Azcarate told Rottenborn. “You wanted to leave them to show that you asked the questions, and they weren’t answered. But you can’t infer from that, ‘Oh, they’re hiding something.'”

During his deposition, Waldman asserted attorney-client privilege to refrain from answering questions aimed at supporting claims that he was acting on behalf of Depp when he made the allegedly defamatory statements.

The judge also allowed jurors to award punitive damages if necessary.

I wonder how Amber feels tonight. Does she grasp the magnitude of what she said today about the Op ed, about calling everybody a liar, about her contradictions, and her snarling demeanor on the stand?

Is EB going to attempt damage control in her closing? Will she state that everyone misheard the Op ed comment, or that AH is so devastated that she misspoke? How can she spin that?
they will say, as AH did before, that the Op Ed was "about the world" and that while JH is an example, the Op Ed was broadrer and that AH meant to address the broader "problem" with the world at large, not just him. This is what AH claimed before and it is really not inexplicable that in this case, with JD in the court, and all these claims brought back, that she would have a melt down. My guess. Parts of these cases really did deal with possible professional damage to the careers of these two, but I do not think that the audience, the news media, or commenters found that testimony as salacious as the abuse claims themselves. In a different world, this case would have been all dry financials and Twitter experts. Not sure what the jury has focused on.

Is it coincidence that (again) they are dressed the same?
I think she's mostly behind by at least a day. Had to love her newfound demeanor I think it was May 25th, when she came in all smiles, and being affectionate with her legal team.. I guess that's what all those furious notes she's been taking are all about - how to be JD?

Wait! Hold the phone!!
Today she said he was never even there!!
Lol!!! Bam!
Yes, when Camille said Mr Night never witnessed JD yelling at her by the fire pit, or grabbing anyone's arm, Amber said :
[paraphrasing] " He wasn't even there. I've never seen him before. I don't even know who he is."

and a few things like that, seemingly to say that he was some random imposter pretending to be the owner of the trailer park....:rolleyes:

Join Websleuths and Aimee from True Crime Sushi as well go live at 8:45 AM Eastern Friday for closing arguments in Depp/Amber.
We will give very colorful commentary along with surprises as we all watch closing.
WE GET UP AND GO LIVE EARLY FRIDAY MORNING (8:45 AM EASTERN) ON WEBSLEUTHS YOUTUBE LIVE

What was that about the mesh shirt and he answered with a bewildered look he’d never worn a mesh shirt.
Earlier, AH testified that the manager of the Trailer park, where they were partying, had come in and seen the place trashed the next morning. She said he was very upset by the damage that JD had done. And she described the manager as a 'guy in a black mesh shirt.'

Turns out the owner/manager was not wearing black mesh shirt and didn't know why she said that. And if you saw the guy you can see he was down to earth, retro 50's style artist guy, not into 'black mesh shirts. lol

YES< she screwed up with that rebuttal. She was supposed to hit home the damages done to her career because of JD and his attorney's statements to DM.

Her attorneys and experts testified that she had some work she lost because of the alleged defamation. They even specified one of the projects ---Ambulance ---and said she was set to star in it but lost it because of the DM articles. And they claimed she was on the precipice of a huge wave towards stardom until JD lied about her.

She should have discussed that and talked about the specific projects she lost, and given examples of how she wasn't getting any big auditions anymore.

It seemed like she totally abandoned the countersuit and just got swe0pt up in bashing JD some more instead.

OOPS---I thought we were at their countersuit rebuttal already....IGNORE my above comments....:oops::oops::oops:

I’m so glad that this is almost over.
Remember how 6 weeks ago we saw smaller groups of people ( and 2 alpacas) respectfully lined up just to show support for Johnny? Some didn’t even mind if they got inside or not, they just wanted JD to know they were there for him. It was sweet and touching.

Now it’s become a sideshow.

I’m actually hoping that neither party is present for the reading of the Verdict.
Some folks on social media are saying they are bummed out at the prospect, saying things like “ We’ve gone through all this- We deserve to see their faces “
I couldn’t disagree more.

I just think that no matter what the Verdict comes back as, it can potentially become crazy and ugly.

Kinda like when a team wins the Super Bowl and their fans celebrate by destroying property and trashing their own town. Crazy.

I want JD to win this case but I think he’ll be fine if he doesn’t.
I don’t want a bunch of rabid fans making him look bad though.
As much as I want AH to not win, I honestly don’t want to see her publicly humiliated if she loses.
I think JD is too dignified for that to be part of his legacy.
Just MOO.

The body language expert said the thing about Amber is that she doesn’t believe anyone because she thinks she is smarter/superior.
I think that is evident by the self righteous and smug look on her face whenever a witness from the other side testifies. Her mocking smile when JD testified says it all. Listening to that recording with her voice full of demeaning sarcasm, laughing almost hysterically at JD was very unnerving. I can't imagine having to deal with that day after day.

On March 31, 2021, Governor Ralph Northam signed Senate Bill 1261 (“S.B. 1261”), which significantly expands the scope of the Court of Appeals of Virginia. Under S.B. 1261, civil litigants will now have the right to appeal final judgments to the Court of Appeals of Virginia, beginning on January 1, 2022. This legislation will have a substantial impact on civil litigation practice in Virginia, the last state to allow an appeal as of right in civil cases.

I don't think JD would appeal if it goes against him re his suit, he has done what he needed to do.

I think AH might if it goes against her in either suit because she has proved she just has to have the last word!.

If it goes against JD in the suit against him, I wouldn't be as sure, but I think he might realise that that would undo some of what he has achieved thus far.

Its a very frightening thing to do because you don’t know what the repercussions are going to be. Many are murdered in this stage, so laughing is definitely not a normal emotion.

I guess it's not so dangerous when you're lying and you also know that your spouse is out of the country for weeks.

The damage AH has done for survivors like you and @Gypsy Road,and worse,for those still trapped is unforgivable. She could literally have blood on her hands and I think she is so self absorbed she doesn't even realise it.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member