Found Deceased VA - Julia Christine Devlin, 55, Shenandoah National Park, Charlottesville, 14 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JUL 23, 2021
Search for Julia Devlin of Charlottesville continues - (cbs19news.com)
JUL 24, 2021
Search ongoing in national park for missing Virginia woman - The Washington Post
[...]

The National Park Service is leading efforts to find Julia Christine Devlin, a 55-year-old University of Virginia economics department lecturer who was last seen in Charlottesville July 14, news outlets reported.

Security footage showed Devlin’s car entering the park late on July 14, park officials have said. Her sedan was found wrecked and abandoned July 17 on Skyline Drive in the southern part of the park.

Canine teams and officials with the Virginia Department of Emergency Management were assisting in the search, The Daily Progress reported. Volunteers were not being recruited.

[...]

Devlin is described as white, 5 feet 7 inches tall, and 150 pounds with dark blonde hair.

Last edited:
JUL 23, 2021
Search for Julia Devlin of Charlottesville continues - (cbs19news.com)
JUL 24, 2021
Search ongoing in national park for missing Virginia woman - The Washington Post
[...]

The National Park Service is leading efforts to find Julia Christine Devlin, a 55-year-old University of Virginia economics department lecturer who was last seen in Charlottesville July 14, news outlets reported.

Security footage showed Devlin’s car entering the park late on July 14, park officials have said. Her sedan was found wrecked and abandoned July 17 on Skyline Drive in the southern part of the park.

Canine teams and officials with the Virginia Department of Emergency Management were assisting in the search, The Daily Progress reported. Volunteers were not being recruited.

[...]

Devlin is described as white, 5 feet 7 inches tall, and 150 pounds with dark blonde hair.

I am struck by “late on July 14.” I usually think of people motoring the Skyline Drive during daylight to enjoy the views. I guess the question is “how late?” Even late afternoon would allow for a few hours of daylight this time of year.

No word on where she might have been headed? Was she known to enter the Skyline Drive often as R&R? Was she dressed for hiking? Car full of luggage for a trip? Picnic hamper?

Hello, I'm new here. Actually came to find it there was any word on lost hiker Tate Morrell, in Montana. But I did find this on the news just now:

Remains found in Shenandoah National Park

Did they find her near the car? I'm not familiar enough with this case or the area to know, but it sounds as if she was found some distance from it. Sad and troubling.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm new here. Actually came to find it there was any word on lost hiker Tate Morrell, in Montana. But I did find this on the news just now:

Did they find her near the car? I'm not familiar enough with this case or the area to know, but it sounds as if she was found some distance from it. Sad and troubling.

This is sad but glad for her community and loved ones that the wondering is over. I had hoped she had just twisted her ankle and needed help.:(

Awful news. :( It sounds to me like this was an unfortunate and tragic accident but I hope we receive updated information on her COD. Prayers for her family and loved ones.

Search for Charlottesville woman in Shenandoah National Park suspended Saturday (whsv.com)
A body of a woman believed to be Julia Devlin was found Saturday around 10 a.m. in extremely steep and rough terrain in the southernmost part of the park, according to park officials.

[...]

The body is being transported to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Augusta County for positive ID and determination of cause of death.

ETA: Welcome to Websleuths, @traveld. :)

I just read a short news story saying she was found in the southernmost part of the park in steep, rough terrain - she’s been transported to the medical examiners office for definitive identification and determination of cause of death. There’s still no comment one way or the other about whether foul play is suspected. Body found, believed to be that of missing Virginia woman | 13newsnow.com. She was far enough away from the car that initial searches didn’t locate her; whether that was oversight or she was found a significant distance away I can’t say. There’s still a little mystery without more info, and authorities are sharing the minimum information. I don’t know how unusual that is in a park road wreck, it just seems a little odd.

Welcome!!!!!!

Sounds like both:
"was last seen on security footage in her white Lexus sedan entering Shenandoah National Park in Charlottesville on July 14, park officials said."
ETA this quote is from the NY Post article cited earlier, not the FB link. BBM

Wonder what park service camera actually picked up? Julia in driver’s seat? Passenger seat? Was she alone? Would the security camera have been wide angle to catch existence of any luggage or person in back seat?

I don't use social media -- guess I am always going to be a step behind y'all.

DBM - Already posted.

Body found in Shenandoah National Park believed to be University of Virginia economics professor, 55 | Daily Mail Online

So her white Lexus was found crashed in the southern part if the park, and her body, too, was located in the southern part of the park…so maybe she crashed for reasons unknown (swerving to avoid wildlife?) and, injured, got out of the car only to end up in treacherous territory and unable to call for assistance. Such a shame, and my condolences to this woman’s friends, family, colleagues and students—she sounds like quite an accomplished and interesting person.

Last edited:
I can't quite make out what the spokesperson means.

I confess I had some apparently bad info, that I have chalked up to some misunderstood hyperbole, that the body was found further away, very dramatically. if incorrectly so.

This is a walkable distance, but if I understand the spokesperson, she dumped/wrecked that car and walked - on foot? To the "other side" of a cliff face? Was there a gap to walk behind a cliff?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back