VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I've been following all of this here on Websleuths, but I didn't make an account and have access to post in here until just very recently. I'm impressed that so many of you have been able to hit on some very key points with such little background information! I was surprised! It seems like so many of you are either just verrrry good at analyzing these sorts of situations, or you have some seriously strong intuitive abilities. Or maybe a bit of both. =)

Anyway, I'm Amber Rios's mother. It's very nice to meet you.

<modsnip>
Thank you so much for joining us.

<modsnip>

Hi everyone! I've been following all of this here on Websleuths, but I didn't make an account and have access to post in here until just very recently. I'm impressed that so many of you have been able to hit on some very key points with such little background information! I was surprised! It seems like so many of you are either just verrrry good at analyzing these sorts of situations, or you have some seriously strong intuitive abilities. Or maybe a bit of both. =)

<modsnip>

Hi Amber's Mom. Thanks for joining the discussion!

<modsnip>
Welcome to WS, nic<3 (Amber's mom)! Glad you have joined us here. We have some amazing people who follow these cases from start to finish. What we can learn from one case, we can apply to others so in that sense it does mean we have something to bring to the table. I do think just like LE (law enforcement) using their "gut feelings", our own instincts can play a role in our theories. However, we try to stick with learning the facts of any case and work within those boundaries.

<modsnip> Being a mother is difficult when your child is worried and hurting no matter where you are at the time. I hope Amber has a good support system where she is in AZ. This isn't easy for anyone who knows and loves Katelin, but especially for Amber. My heart truly goes out to her in this situation.

Nice to meet you, too! Please jump right in! The goal here is to bring Katelin home. She needs everyone to put aside differences and judgments in order to make it happen. This is a great place to do just that. =)

Hi, haven't posted on this thread yet but hoping for Katelin's safe return.
I have skim-read all 28 pages but I feel like I've missed something here - her family are (still?) calling her phone but it goes to voicemail?
It's a burner phone....but can still be pinged, surely?
Apologies if this has already been answered, it seems too simple so I am sure it is!
Thanks

Yes, if they have the phone number, and as we know (Virgin Mobile); I Dont see why it can't be pinged.

Yes, if they have the phone number, and as we know (Virgin Mobile); I Dont see why it can't be pinged.

But it would have to be on.

<modsnip>
:loveyou:
So glad to see you here! Welcome aboard!

I mean actually using her ticket. That would be an easy trace I suppose....and based on the humongous amounts of errors made at the airports nothing would surprise me if someone got on with it.

If it were a small-town airport, I'd agree with you, but would be amazed if someone other than KA was able to use KA's ticket at a major airport serving the D.C. area, particularly in this time of heightened security in the name of preventing terrorism.

Certainly the TSA misses things here and there, but given that one must simultaneously show a photo ID AND their boarding pass to a TSA agent *before* getting into the security/metal detector line, there's little chance that another person could use her ticket (unless it was, say, an identical/close-to-identical twin).

If it were a small-town airport, I'd agree with you, but would be amazed if someone other than KA was able to use KA's ticket at a major airport serving the D.C. area, particularly in this time of heightened security in the name of preventing terrorism.

Certainly the TSA misses things here and there, but given that one must simultaneously show a photo ID AND their boarding pass to a TSA agent *before* getting into the security/metal detector line, there's little chance that another person could use her ticket (unless it was, say, an identical/close-to-identical twin).

Why would someone use her ticket and fly to Arizona? If it were an attempt to create an alibi or save money on a ticket it wasn't a very bright idea considering all the security and cameras at an airport.

Seems like a huge risk to take for no good reason. At least not one I can think of.

Why would you think that?

Well because the river is right off the road where her luggage was found and because her charger for the phone was in that luggage and on the fredericksburg side of the road one could easily toss the phone into it.

If she had a need for the phone ,her charger would not have been in the luggage.

But not when your luggage is in a drainage ditch. ;)
I was just saying I don't carry my charger with me; I check it with my luggage. It stays there till I reach my destination.

I was just saying I don't carry my charger with me; I check it with my luggage. It stays there till I reach my destination.

Judging by the fact that she apparently wasn't carrying much, I'd say this was a carry-on type bag, not a check-it type bag. So she'dve had the charger "with her" on the plane.

Given the fact that Katelin has not been seen on any Mall video footage, Metro cameras, Metro Parking Garage cameras or Airport video footage, I don't believe she ever made it to the Metro no less the airport.

Like another member stated, if there was any evidence of Katelin going missing from the Mall or the Metro, in Fairfax County, then we would be hearing about the Fairfax County Police and possibly even the Metro Transit Police running some type of investigation. In addition, if there was any video, from eight days ago now, then why wouldn't LE release the video to the public... in order to possibly trigger someone's memory?

ADMIN NOTE: No "verified insiders" are posting in Katelin's thread at this time.

Mods don't like to remove posts, especially those from new members. So please observe the rules, and don't ask questions which can't be answered. You place the other person in an uncomfortable position by doing so.

Also, all members are expected to know the rules (and I know many of you do). New members should take time to review them, particularly this thread:

Rules: Etiquette & Information

:tyou:

Bumping my post from yesterday and adding:
VERIFIED PROFESSIONALS and CASE INSIDERS

We are lucky enough to have posters from all walks of life with a broad spectrum of expertise. Some hold specialized knowledge that applies to the various circumstances of the cases we discuss, and can contribute valuable insight and information. We welcome their participation.

To ensure that anyone posting as a "professional" in a specific field truly is what/who they claim to be, WS employs a verification process.

The verification process also applies to "case insiders". Relatives, friends, and others personally acquainted with a victim or suspect; or a professional working on behalf of a victim or the family, i.e., a private investigator, can submit a request to be verified as a "case insider".

If you would like to become verified, please contact the site owner at wsverify@gmail.com with your Websleuths name, your real name, the case, a telephone number, and the times when you can be reached.

If you are a "professional" or "case insider", but would prefer not to be verified, please understand that you will be required to follow the general rules for posting, and back up your statements with links to appropriate sources.

More information on how to submit a request, and the information required, can be found at this link:

Verification Process for Professionals and Insiders

NOTE: Websleuths does not condone members becoming personally involved in cases by initiating contact with family members, law enforcement, or the media. This does not preclude responding to a request for volunteers, or utilizing proper channels to report valid information, i.e., "a tip", to law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member