VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
yea that happened here locally to me too and later the guy's bones were found in a nearby field.

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/10...-man-vanishes-at-mineta-san-jose-intl-airport

One woman was elderly and suffered from dementia, IIRC.

And the most recent case involved a woman who left the airport voluntarily:

Woman vanishes from Dallas airport - NY Daily News
www.nydailynews.com/.../woman-vanishes-dallas-airport-arti...
Daily News
Oct 11, 2012 - Jeanne Rysiewicz, 26, was seen on security footage leaving the airport alone, while her family ... She found no sign of her daughter. ... There has been no sign of activity on Jeanne's credit cards or Facebook page, where her ...

I keep wondering if she didn't make a logical decision to get to where she needed to go and was picked up by a stranger if she was hitch hiking or walking from one point to another. We are all stumped how she disappeared in thin air - it doesn't make sense. At her age I probably wasn't thinking like a mature adult and made poor decisions. MOO

I could see that happening. But it does not seem to fit with the supposed text to mom or with the suitcase dumped back by Stepdads house, with her clothing missing. Baffling case.

The silence from LE is killing me. Where are you Katelin?

I am really surprised that there is not some surveillance video that could help determine what happened that day. With the mall and metro station being so close to DC, it seems like the area should have pretty tight security.

I would really like to know a timeline of what she did and where she went in the 24 hours or so before she disappeared. Things like when did her mother drop her off at the ex-step-person's house? What time was her flight? What time did they leave for the airport? I am not asking for anybody here to answer these questions, but hope that somebody in the media is reading here and try to search out some more of the story.

Bumping my post from yesterday and adding:
VERIFIED PROFESSIONALS and CASE INSIDERS

We are lucky enough to have posters from all walks of life with a broad spectrum of expertise. Some hold specialized knowledge that applies to the various circumstances of the cases we discuss, and can contribute valuable insight and information. We welcome their participation.

To ensure that anyone posting as a "professional" in a specific field truly is what/who they claim to be, WS employs a verification process.

The verification process also applies to "case insiders". Relatives, friends, and others personally acquainted with a victim or suspect; or a professional working on behalf of a victim or the family, i.e., a private investigator, can submit a request to be verified as a "case insider".

If you would like to become verified, please contact the site owner at wsverify@gmail.com with your Websleuths name, your real name, the case, a telephone number, and the times when you can be reached.

If you are a "professional" or "case insider", but would prefer not to be verified, please understand that you will be required to follow the general rules for posting, and back up your statements with links to appropriate sources.

More information on how to submit a request, and the information required, can be found at this link:

Verification Process for Professionals and Insiders

NOTE: Websleuths does not condone members becoming personally involved in cases by initiating contact with family members, law enforcement, or the media. This does not preclude responding to a request for volunteers, or utilizing proper channels to report valid information, i.e., "a tip", to law enforcement.

I just wanted to stress the importance of the new people who have come on here and posted. We really don't want to lose you all, you are informative and supported here as well. I can't stress enough for you all to become verified insiders. We have many cases on here where other family members have done so and it's helped the case (s) tremendously.
If you are having problems understanding what becoming a verified insider means, you can ask <modsnip> or hit that little triangle on the left of your post. A moderator will gladly help you. PLEASE PLEASE DON'T GO AWAY, We are all here to help you. PLEASE BECOME VERIFIED.

I just don't see a 19 year old being abducted from a mall or airport. They are old enough the scream or know better to go with someone. I also wouldn't think she would accept a ride from a total stranger either. If she was that independent, I see her smarter than that. I also am pretty sure that even though she is an adult, I wouldn't just drop my kid (stepsons or bio) off at a mall if it was my responsibility to get them to the airport. I would wait for them to shop then drive them the other 3 miles however long it was and just drop them off at the airport. She would have had to been in a more remote location in order for that to happen. Also, it could be that whoever that was involved in her disappearance actually put her wallet and things in her suitcase just to dispose of it. I wonder if she only carries a wallet on her or if she is a purse carrier. The person might have also kept her phone on purpose for the sole reason of sending that text in order to put some time/distance between her abduction and when they would notice she was missing.

What time was her flight?

In all of your questions, the only one I can answer is that her flight to Las Vegas left Reagan at 5:40 p.m.

I too would like to know who she met/spoke to prior to leaving, as well as what time did mom drop her off at SD's and what time SD left for the airport.

There has been zero additional information since the initial reports came out...this leads to partially believe LE doesn't need any help from the public because maybe they have a good idea of what has happened here and are waiting for confirmation of some sort?

Otherwise, you would think they would do things like direct focus on a particular area (i.e. confirmed sighting/film of her in X location) or "did anyone see X make/model of car at Y location on Z day". You'd expect at least SOMETHING from LE at this point, right?

Something tells me they have phone records and it is very telling to what happened.

I just wanted to stress the importance of the new people who have come on here and posted. We really don't want to lose you all, you are informative and supported here as well. I can't stress enough for you all to become verified insiders. We have many cases on here where other family members have done so and it's helped the case (s) tremendously.
If you are having problems understanding what becoming a verified insider means, you can ask <modsnip> or hit that little triangle on the left of your post. A moderator will gladly help you. PLEASE PLEASE DON'T GO AWAY, We are all here to help you. PLEASE BECOME VERIFIED.
Thanks, Mistree. That's a very nice post, and we certainly do appreciate our verified insiders. Let me just jump in and clarify a couple of things, though.

When the staff becomes aware that a new member has joined who is an insider, one of us always sends a pm explaining how the verification process works, and why we have it in place. In turn, the member has an opportunity to respond with any questions or concerns before s/he makes a choice. And you're right. We truly are glad to help. But often, for various reasons, members would prefer not to be verified, and we respect that.

I also wanted to add as a reminder that all members with questions about TOS should address them in a private message to an admin or mod. Conversations in the thread about "the rules" distract from the main topic, and members can't be sure that the answers they receive from other members will be accurate. So when questions come up in the threads, it's helpful all around if members suggest to one another to send a pm to a staff member. Using the alert feature is fine, too, but sending a pm eliminates a step. :)

There has been zero additional information since the initial reports came out...this leads to partially believe LE doesn't need any help from the public because maybe they have a good idea of what has happened here and are waiting for confirmation of some sort?

Otherwise, you would think they would do things like direct focus on a particular area (i.e. confirmed sighting/film of her in X location) or "did anyone see X make/model of car at Y location on Z day". You'd expect at least SOMETHING from LE at this point, right?

Something tells me they have phone records and it is very telling to what happened.

rbbm

Not only has there been no new info, the info was sparse and even conflicting to begin with. All we know is that she was last seen on December 5th and that her flight was scheduled for 5:40 pm from Reagan.

We don't know WHEN she was last seen exactly. We don't know what time mom dropped her at her stepdad's house, how long after that did they supposedly leave for the airport, at which point did she decide to go to the mall instead of directly to the airport, if mom knew the plan had changed beforehand or only told after Katelin was missing....
We don't know if her mom was the only one who received communication from Katelin that day. Did she text anyone else?
I'm still not clear on why her ex stepdad was taking her to the airport. Were they very close relationship-wise?
Did neighbors of the stepdad see him leave his house or return?
Was she only reported missing when she did not appear at the airport? Did Amber first alert to her being missing? Or did her parents expect to hear from her and didn't and that's who first questioned her whereabouts.

This is a frustrating case because there is so little information. I do agree that maybe this just means that LE knows what happened and is getting their ducks in a row.

moo

I wonder if she had any issues with any local friends. If she was dropped off at mall and possibly ran into someone. I just don't feel this young lady walked away from her life. Imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been thinking she may have gone to the mall to meet someone. And wouldn't there be some kind of trail / evidence in her cell phone calls if that's the case.

Also, didn't I read that her suitcase was found with no clothing in it? Which I find puzzling.

Thanks, Mistree. That's a very nice post, and we certainly do appreciate our verified insiders. Let me just jump in and clarify a couple of things, though.

When the staff becomes aware that a new member has joined who is an insider, one of us always sends a pm explaining how the verification process works, and why we have it in place. In turn, the member has an opportunity to respond with any questions or concerns before s/he makes a choice. And you're right. We truly are glad to help. But often, for various reasons, members would prefer not to be verified, and we respect that.

I also wanted to add as a reminder that all members with questions about TOS should address them in a private message to an admin or mod. Conversations in the thread about "the rules" distract from the main topic, and members can't be sure that the answers they receive from other members will be accurate. So when questions come up in the threads, it's helpful all around if members suggest to one another to send a pm to a staff member. Using the alert feature is fine, too, but sending a pm eliminates a step. :)
Thank you Bessie.

I'm running out of ideas. Perhaps either she was abducted or like Neesaki mentioned, she may have met with one of her friends. What else could it be? MOO

LE being tipped lipped does not make me have confidence in them at all. I do not think the phone records have led to anything because it has been 9 days and no Katelin.If she took off on her own by now they would have had a lead on her. <modsnip>

No description of what she was wearing or the missing clothing on her poster . The family was asked not to search ,yet you have to scroll halfway down the sheriffs page to see her poster.

I believe they don't know what happen.

It always struck me odd that at 19 she picked a life partner. That would have scared me solid. Maybe she, like maybe many 19 year olds, changed her mind. She needed clothes, but maybe did not want to go to beauty school and be part of a couple permanently at age 19. Have a friend pick you up, let you change bags, let you off elsewhere. Dump empty luggage by SD's, throw police and others off the real trail. Plus, if police find her, all they are required to do is make sure she is where she chooses to be, not in danger, or in need of medical care. She can go anywhere she wants.

LE being tipped lipped does not make me have confidence in them at all. I do not think the phone records have led to anything because it has been 9 days and no Katelin.If she took off on her own by now they would have had a lead on her. <modsnip>

No description of what she was wearing or the missing clothing on her poster . The family was asked not to search ,yet you have to scroll halfway down the sheriffs page to see her poster.

I believe they don't know what happen.

Regarding what she was wearing the day she went missing, I haven't heard anything... however, Amber knows that she did take a gray fleece Bass Pro Shops sweatshirt as her only outerwear, and she had pink and gray Van's shoes.

I guess there is a possibility that she felt pressured from both sides, family and fiancé/family, and decided to go rogue and start over on her own. It just seems odd that she would do so in such a bod, bizarre way.

It always struck me odd that at 19 she picked a life partner. That would have scared me solid. Maybe she, like maybe many 19 year olds, changed her mind. She needed clothes, but maybe did not want to go to beauty school and be part of a couple permanently at age 19. Have a friend pick you up, let you change bags, let you off elsewhere. Dump empty luggage by SD's, throw police and others off the real trail. Plus, if police find her, all they are required to do is make sure she is where she chooses to be, not in danger, or in need of medical care. She can go anywhere she wants.

Maybe but I don't think so, if she went willingly she would have taken the phone charger and cash. I don't think she'd dump the stuff so close to home on the street. I'd choose a dumpster not leave it on the street. A lot of people at 19 pick a life partner, it doesn't scare everyone.

Maybe but I don't think so, if she went willingly she would have taken the phone charger and cash. I don't think she'd dump the stuff so close to home on the street. I'd choose a dumpster not leave it on the street. A lot of people at 19 pick a life partner, it doesn't scare everyone.

Not only that, but if you subscribe to the idea that she left on her own- you have to accept that the stepfather dropped her off at the mall as he says. In turn, that would mean that Katelin started her "alone journey" at that moment...if so, why get rid of her stuff? Even further, why go an hour back to near your home to dump your luggage and chance being seen/found by someone?

I think her leaving on her own will and trashing her belongings is very low probability at this point, as unfortunate as it is.

If they had found her luggage abandoned outside/near the mall or Metro station, then I could entertain that theory...but with what we know, I just can't.

While I'm not optimistic about the outcome, I wanted to say the while the luggage dump site is en route to SD's area, it doesn't mean it's not en route to other locations. For example if someone from Katelin's past was involved, they may come from a similar area or take a similar route - even if ultimately heading out of town. In fact I find it confusing that someone worried about being associated with Katelin's absence would choose to toss the luggage on their logical route. I am confused by how minimal the commentary has been - we still don't know the chain of events surrounding her being reported missing, for example. I am suspicious, but also pretty open to strange outcomes on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE