VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They haven't said anything about purchases on her card. However, LE did say that they can confirm her stepfather's car was in the area of Springfield Town Center that day even though neither of them appeared on surveillance cameras (none present in location that stepdad says he dropped her at).

I thought it was odd choice of words to say they can confirm his CAR was there. I could see them saying they can confirm he was there due to a receipt or phone call tracing...but what, other than video, could prove his car was there?

Perhaps his car is seen on a traffic cam in the area, but from the angle they were not able to see WHO was in the vehicle. Maybe they can clearly see his plates so they know it is his car, but not who is driving it.

jmo

This is so confusing.

I, like many others, am shocked at the silence of LE.

There's also the possibility that they know nothing. If that's the case, though, I'd expect to hear SOMETHING! I'm also curious how the investigation is being handled, starting with the dated/inaccurate information and photos on the missing flyers.

To be honest, this may just be the way that department works because there hasn't been a lot of "news" in the Heather Ciccone case, either...when it seems like a open/shut case. Maybe they are overwhelmed? I'm not sure how large that department is and how often they get situations like this...or 2 at one time.

I'm with you, though...I don't think she is hiding on her own. She would have to have seen the reports about her, has basically zero funds to get around and survive, and from all we understand she had nothing to really "escape" from except the very place she was visiting.

Maybe something happened that needed "cleaning up" and someone reached for the first thing they could find (i.e. Clothes in the luggage) and then disposed of said clothes along with the "mess"? The luggage and remainder of items could then just be tossed, explaining the missing garments? Jmo

They haven't said anything about purchases on her card. However, LE did say that they can confirm her stepfather's car was in the area of Springfield Town Center that day even though neither of them appeared on surveillance cameras (none present in location that stepdad says he dropped her at).

I thought it was odd choice of words to say they can confirm his CAR was there. I could see them saying they can confirm he was there due to a receipt or phone call tracing...but what, other than video, could prove his car was there?
1. A ticket 2. An eyewitness 3. His cell phone pings 4. The GPS on the car 5. A red light camera

To be honest, this may just be the way that department works because there hasn't been a lot of "news" in the Heather Ciccone case, either...when it seems like a open/shut case. Maybe they are overwhelmed? I'm not sure how large that department is and how often they get situations like this...or 2 at one time.

I'm with you, though...I don't think she is hiding on her own. She would have to have seen the reports about her, has basically zero funds to get around and survive, and from all we understand she had nothing to really "escape" from except the very place she was visiting.
We can't know what was going on in her head at the time. People have walked away from seemingly solid relationships and families for a vast number of reasons. Some are certain they can walk away and start over and others seem to run from themselves.

There isn't a good way to leave your old life without confrontation and some people can't handle it so they take the cowardly way out. They don't think about the feelings of those left behind as they are too wrapped up in their own selfish desires. I have heard some say they felt their loved ones were "better off without them" or similar nonsense. It is selfish and cruel. I have no respect for someone who is a walkaway John or Jane because they have no conscience. No excuse is good enough unless they were in danger of some sort.

Letting a policeman know you are going to walkaway is the right way to handle it. They can notify your family you are not dead and save their departments from trying to track you down. You would then be free to go wherever you please with LE's blessing. I would like it to become a law with a hefty fine and maybe even jail time so it would help end that type of missing saga.

Not saying Katelin has gone missing of her own accord, but it is still one possibility and actually has the best outcome. We haven't heard from her real father and other family members to my knowledge. Maybe there are other friends out there willing to hide her out for whatever reason. LE seem to think they have some evidence pointing to her being alive and off on her own, but they are not giving it up. And they could be chasing their tails. Who knows?!

We can't know what was going on in her head at the time. People have walked away from seemingly solid relationships and families for a vast number of reasons. Some are certain they can walk away and start over and others seem to run from themselves.

There isn't a good way to leave your old life without confrontation and some people can't handle it so they take the cowardly way out. They don't think about the feelings of those left behind as they are too wrapped up in their own selfish desires. I have heard some say they felt their loved ones were "better off without them" or similar nonsense. It is selfish and cruel. I have no respect for someone who is a walkaway John or Jane because they have no conscience. No excuse is good enough unless they were in danger of some sort.

Letting a policeman know you are going to walkaway is the right way to handle it. They can notify your family you are not dead and save their departments from trying to track you down. You would then be free to go wherever you please with LE's blessing. I would like it to become a law with a hefty fine and maybe even jail time so it would help end that type of missing saga.

Not saying Katelin has gone missing of her own accord, but it is still one possibility and actually has the best outcome. We haven't heard from her real father and other family members to my knowledge. Maybe there are other friends out there willing to hide her out for whatever reason. LE seem to think they have some evidence pointing to her being alive and off on her own, but they are not giving it up. And they could be chasing their tails. Who knows?!

I agree with you -- If she has decided to walk away on her own, it's the best of the possible outcomes. We that read/post on here know that if we were in the situation that we needed to cut ties and leave, we would (hopefully) notify LE so they would not spend time and resources looking for us. I'm betting she would not even think of such a thing.

As far as the jewelry that may or may not have been in the bag.... perhaps she swapped out different jewelry and may still be wearing a similar set?

As others have said.... the "quiet" speaks volumes and there is a whole lot we don't know and many pieces of the puzzle that we don't have.

I don't think so, the odds would be too great the suitcase fell out of the vehicle, her plans changed, she didn't make the airport, a fake communication(?), then no communication, no access to money that we know of. It just doesn't add up IMO & this is what the police said:

"Akens’ luggage was later found on Monday in a drainage ditch on River Road near the Fredericksburg city limit in Spotsylvania County."

"The circumstances surrounding this case are suspicious enough to warrant our full investigative efforts, in attempting to locate Miss Akens,” said Sheriff Roger L. Harris.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/56293973-story

I assumed as much, just hate that the ending is one that doesn't look very promising at this point and that is so sad.

(Snipped for focus)

BBM - What have LE said that indicates they have some evidence pointing to her being missing on her own? I don't remember seeing that.

BBM - What have LE said that indicates they have some evidence pointing to her being missing on her own? I don't remember seeing that.

I can't find the article now but I remember reading early on from a legit source that police said they were optimistic she may be gone of her own accord bc of cell phone and social media activity..

I can't find the article now but I remember reading early on from a legit source that police said they were optimistic she may be gone of her own accord bc of cell phone and social media activity..

"We're hoping – and this has happened before – that she simply decided that she wasn't going to go back [to Arizona] and made other arrangements. Information recovered from her social media accounts and her cellphone records shows that [that may be case]." - Captain Jeff Pearce of the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office

http://www.people.com/article/spots...n-michelle-akens-missing-heather-ciccone-dead, dated 12/10/15

Yes they did say that in an article a few days ago, I remember it too. But then they also described the circumstances she went missing under as suspicious, so their statements have been kind of wishy-washy.

My gut read on this case is they are trying to make someone feel comfortable while they investigate, but that a crime was committed and they do have a suspect in their sights.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I believe SeriouslySearching is referring to statements made by Spotsy Police Chief Jeff Pearce:

"We're hoping- and this has happened before – that she simply decided that she wasn't going to go back [to Arizona] and made other arrangements," Pearce says. "Information recovered from her social media accounts and her cellphone records shows that [that may be case]."

EDIT: I see someone else already covered this, and I was a few mins too late!

While I agree that it would be nice if people leaving their old lives informed at least LE so as to save the state time and money, having to ask for LE's blessing to come and go in order to avoid a fine or jail time... No thanks.

"We're hoping – and this has happened before – that she simply decided that she wasn't going to go back [to Arizona] and made other arrangements. Information recovered from her social media accounts and her cellphone records shows that [that may be case]." - Captain Jeff Pearce of the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office

http://www.people.com/article/spots...n-michelle-akens-missing-heather-ciccone-dead, dated 12/10/15

Thank you. Now I remember seeing this and pretty much discounting it because it was written by People magazine. I have found their reporting to be less than creditable in the past. The way Captain Pearce was quoted it almost made it sound like Katelin had runaway before, while what he meant, was that there have been other cases where the individuals have left on their own accord.

I wonder if his comment about cellphone records was referring to the two text messages somebody sent from her phone right before the phone was shut off. One of them was reported in MSM as a message that her mother received saying she had made it to the airport. We can't talk about the second one because it has not been mentioned in MSM.

I also wonder what he meant by info from her social media accounts. Was there something more than those two text messages?

Thank you. Now I remember seeing this and pretty much discounting it because it was written by People magazine. I have found their reporting to be less than creditable in the past. The way Captain Pearce was quoted it almost made it sound like Katelin had runaway before, while what he meant, was that there have been other cases where the individuals have left on their own accord.

I wonder if his comment about cellphone records was referring to the two text messages somebody sent from her phone right before the phone was shut off. One of them was reported in MSM as a message that her mother received saying she had made it to the airport. We can't talk about the second one because it has not been mentioned in MSM.

I also wonder what he meant by info from her social media accounts. Was there something more than those two text messages?

Hmmm TWO texts messages? There is definitely more to this story.

I know that we often don't like to think that a person would disappear themselves because of the heartache and worry it causes the family and friends, but it does happen. People have left families and even children before and just wanted to start over away from their past. I know I've seen it many times here on websleuths. Family saying "They would never just take off!" or "They had nothing to run from!" and then lo and behold we find out that they have left on their own accord. It's actually the best scenario at this point, if you ask me. Much better than her being abducted or harmed.

The scenario fits in my opinion. She took a trip alone to see her family. She had a prepaid phone, so I guess that's less traceable and easy to ditch and repurchase another if eventually needed. She only had a carry-on with her she could have brought along a backpack in that carry-on and transferred things into that after ditching the carry-on. She asked to be dropped off at a mall so her whereabouts are a bit uncertain. She could have easily changed clothes, donned a hat, even used spray coloring in her hair -- the pictures of her on the missing flyers and pics on sm all look so different, even her weight is in question, so she could have gone unnoticed. Her piercings, which are very identifiable, were taken out (I'm still not clear on WHERE they were found.) If she disappeared herself she certainly would have left her ID and her bank card. People think it is crazy to run off with no way to support yourself, but come on, people do it all the time. Hundreds and hundreds of teen runaways end up on the street. They certainly don't wait until they have the funds to live off of before they run away. How do we know how much money she had with her to begin with anyway? She may have squirreled away enough for a bus ticket or something. Is there a bus station around there? Could she have hitched a ride with someone at the mall and gotten a ride closer to a bus station? You never know. Maybe she told someone a story that made them feel like she was in danger and needed to escape a situation and that stranger thought they were helping her out. Or maybe she arranged it ahead of time. She could have met a person online who agreed to help her out.

I'm just throwing these ideas out there because the more I think about it, the more I wonder if she left on her own. I actually hope she did because then she would be alive. I hate to think of the other alternative!

moo

We can't quote from the facebook group, correct? People are giving a lot of info... I am still not sure whether it is an abduction or a voluntary leaving at this point.

We can't quote from the facebook group, correct? People are giving a lot of info... I am still not sure whether it is an abduction or a voluntary leaving at this point.

Nope, can't quote from facebook

I guess I just don't see the runaway theory as much mainly because of where her luggage was ditched at. That would mean she left the mall and headed back towards where she lived at. I guess it could make sense if she ran away with someone in her hometown and they had to go back that way for something. I'd be much more inclined to believe the runaway theory if her items were found closer to the mall/metro.

Nothing is out of the question and anything is possible, I just feel that the above coupled with her lack of finances (assumed) coupled with people her age not being able to separate themselves from their phones...makes it unlikely. Then again, maybe someone else is supporting her financially.

The lack of news is just baffling. I haven't even seen as much as a rogue search party being formed. If this were my kid, you'd have to place me behind bars to prevent me from searching every square foot I could access. Wish we had a VI in here for this one!

The lack of news is just baffling. I haven't even seen as much as a rogue search party being formed. If this were my kid, you'd have to place me behind bars to prevent me from searching every square foot I could access. Wish we had a VI in here for this one!

rsbm

It is weird. I hope they are at least passing out flyers to get the word out. The thing is, that in missing person cases, unless the person is high profile, the family and friends really have to flood social media with info/pics because msm isn't going to keep publishing stories with no new updates -- they will just move on to the next news. I hope the family is doing that. They need to tweet and fb and instagram.
Or did LE tell them to keep quiet? Have they made any media appearances pleading for the person who took her to let her go, or for her to come home if she's out there and on her own? I hadn't seen anything, but I've only been able to watch with one eye, so to speak. Is there a reward?

moo

The last comment I see is from Dec 9th, I am probably looking in the wrong place. I don't do very well on facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties