VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I was focusing on the Springfield area is because I'm local and I wanted to provide insight on the very very very offchance that she did disappear from the mall or metro station. However, no scenario I run through my mind is even remotely plausible.

And if she staged her disappearance, the ONLY reason to leave cash behind is if she ran off with a very very well-to-do guy or gal. But even then, I'm such a tightwad, I'd still want my cash, too! Cash is cash and there's no such thing as too much. ;)

She is not going to be able to get on a commercial plane in the US without ID.

And that is just one of many things about Katelin's disappearance that does not make sense. It seems to me that whoever dumped Katelin's bag rifled through it, grabbed what was obvious and did not check through it thoroughly. Why leave behind cash? Why leave behind ID? I would think that if Katelin were looking to disappear, ANY amount of cash would be important for her to tak with her. I would think ID would be important as well.

Something smells really bad here!

That part is so odd as well as her identification still being in that discarded bag. Her wallet with cash being in there would definitely make it appear there was foul play, IMO. Why not take the cash from the wallet?

But all of that gets us nowhere, IMO, because did Katelin just make it appear that way, or did she really meet with foul play?

MOO

Why not leave the clothes in the bag as well? If someone killed her ? Why would they dump her bag in a spot wear they know it will be found within days of dumping it? At the same time keeping her clothes.

And that is just one of many things about Katelin's disappearance that does not make sense. It seems to me that whoever dumped Katelin's bag rifled through it, grabbed what was obvious and did not check through it thoroughly. Why leave behind cash? Why leave behind ID? I would think that if Katelin were looking to disappear, ANY amount of cash would be important for her to tak with her. I would think ID would be important as well.

Believe it or not, you can get on a commercial plane in the US. My 21 year old forgot his ID in his truck this Thanksgiving, but he was allowed through security and boarded the plane. I don't know how they decide who can and can't fly without ID, but my husband who is a commercial pilot says it happens a lot.
I still don't think she was ever at any airport.

Just another thing to think about...

Springfield sits right outside DC. DC has got to be one of the most heavily secured cities in the world. Metro has got to be watched with security cameras. If Katelin got anywhere near the Metro station, there would be video. And knowing what time she was supposed to fly and what time she was ***supposedly*** dropped at the mall would give you an estimate of what time to be looking at video from the metro.

I would be shocked if Katelin was ever anywhere near the mall!

Finally all caught up with the thread.

I sincerely hope this ends well... although my gut is telling me otherwise.

I can't seem to get behind the idea of a run-away and can't help but look sideways at the person that supposedly dropped her off, really hope my gut is wrong about this and she's found safe and well.

Thoughts are with her and her family.

Why not leave the clothes in the bag as well? If someone killed her ? Why would they dump her bag in a spot wear they know it will be found within days of dumping it? At the same time keeping her clothes.

Maybe to dump them in another area to mislead?

None of these things can be explained. None of it makes sense!

MOO

Believe it or not, you can get on a commercial plane in the US. My 21 year old forgot his ID in his truck this Thanksgiving, but he was allowed through security and boarded the plane. I don't know how they decide who can and can't fly without ID, but my husband who is a commercial pilot says it happens a lot.

Was your son's ticket booked through your husband and the airlines he flies for?

Oh, man! I wish I didn't know this when airport security is so important. My daughter flies frequently for her work.

If someone is wanting to get away for a few days without burning her bridges because she might want to come back again it'd be much easier to if you just call and tell people you're going away for a few days instead of staging an abduction. It'd be hard to explain later.

But people aren't always logical.

If you want to disappear, leaving the credit cards might be reasonable because using card money may help them trace you.

Metro stations are COVERED in security cameras. I take the Metro daily to school and work. My apartment building is attached to a metro station and there are no fewer than eight 15" screens housed in the station manager's booth that view the escalators and every view of the platform.

If she was ever at any station, they would know. And if she DID get on at Springfield but got off before the airport, she'd be caught on camera then, as well as if she missed the airport stop and had to circle back,because the further she travels, the more secure the locations are. Crystal City, Pentagon City, Arlington, and the Pentagon are all stops after the airport and are all major hubs for federal agencies and employees. It's just not possible that she was ever in Northern Virginia or DC. JMO.

She could have some other photo ID. I have never used my driver's license at the ticket counter or getting to the gate. Because it is easier to get to my employee ID, they've accepted that ID.

I can't help but think that there is someone else familiar with the Spotsylvania/Fredericksburg area involved. It appears they were familiar with that road (one of the locals on here stated that there was a homeless population near there). Just like leaving a car in a bad area of town with keys in it or a victim's wallet someplace where they hope someone will steal the credit cards, they left the luggage there with the cash in it hoping it would be picked up by someone else? And they sent texts to both the fiancee and the mother? I could see if her mother's phone number was on her phone as 'Mom' or 'Mother', but they would also appear to know who the fiancee was as well?

This seems to point to Katelin's step father, but I wonder if she posted her plans on Facebook or other social media and someone from her past saw it.

Yeah, there is a lot here that smells bad.

This happened to my husband, he forgot his wallet at home but was still able to board the plane. He was taken in a back room, asked a bunch of questions (neighbors name, etc.), somehow they are able to verify it's you and you're not wanted, etc. On our return home flight, the TSA did the same thing.

i get the impression (so jmo) ;) that they havent even looked at all the security footage yet, so we dont really know for sure where she was or was not

I'm also still wondering if she had any issues with people in high school. Possibly runs into them at the mall. They say hey let's go to so and so for old times sake and she has no fear. Perhaps this person or people did something. She is only 19. I also was a mature 19 year old. But I would have been excited to meet up with old "friends". Jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know step dads can and do horrible things. My son is in treatment right now and gets weekend passes to home. His step father drives him back every Sunday without me. Nothing ominous about it. I don't go as I don't want to. I love my son and love having him here but don't go back every Sunday with them.

I'm also still wondering if she had any issues with people in high school. Possibly runs into them at the mall. They say hey let's go to so and so for old times sake and she has no fear. Perhaps this person or people did something. She is only 19. I also was a mature 19 year old. But I would have been excited to meet up with old "friends". Jmo

I don't think she ever made it to the mall.

I also wonder if she was planning to buy a paper farecard for her trip to the airport or if, perhaps, a family member had a registered SmarTrip card they were letting her use? I know when I have friends come in to town to visit family 9 times out of 10, a family member will let them use one of their spare ST cards because it's quicker (just a quick tap of the card at the gate, as opposed to inserting a paper farecard) and cheaper ($1 more per trip to use a paper card). If she was using a registered ST card, her movements on metro and all buses in Northern Virginia, DC, and Maryland would be easily traceable. But, seeing as how Spotsy isn't exactly DC metro area, it's also just as likely her family didn't have SmarTrip cards because they never used the metrorail system.

This sorta reminds me of the 1975 Lyon sisters investigation. It seemed that the police focused all of their attention on the mysterious "Tape Recorder Man". All along wile the real suspect sat right in front of them.

It seems that the Stepfather and Foul Play has become your "Tape Recorder Man".

Probably due to what someone said on Facebook or something.

YOU HAVE TO BROADEN YOUR INVESTIGATION FOLKS!

To many one track minds.

If she grew up in Spotsy, it's very unlikely she'd run into old high school acquaintances and even more unlikely that there would be an old familiar hangout in Springfield. The two locations are not really close, at all. It's easily an hour drive from Spotsy to springfield without traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13