VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was your son's ticket booked through your husband and the airlines he flies for?

I can vouch for it being possible without any family connection. A coworker of mine just recently had to fly back home and we didn't discover until the next day she had left her ID with us by accident. And when we let her know she simply said she almost couldn't get on the plane but apparently didn't have any real issue so there must be ways around it..

Thank you. I had no idea how far they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If she grew up in Spotsy, it's very unlikely she'd run into old high school acquaintances and even more unlikely that there would be an old familiar hangout in Springfield. The two locations are not really close, at all. It's easily an hour drive from Spotsy to springfield without traffic.
Many who grow up in small towns will hang out in nearby big cities.

This sorta reminds me of the 1975 Lyon sisters investigation. It seemed that the police focused all of their attention on the mysterious "Tape Recorder Man". All along wile the real suspect sat right in front of them.

It seems that the Stepfather and Foul Play has become your "Tape Recorder Man".

Probably due to what someone said on Facebook or something.

YOU HAVE TO BROADEN YOUR INVESTIGATION FOLKS!

To many one track minds.

I actually think it has more to do with reports in MSM that her step-father was the last person to see her. And that LE confirmed he was "in the area" of supposed drop/off but has not confirmed an actual sighting of either of them, most specifically Katelin, in that area. The confirmation from Katelin's mom that she also received a text from her daughting stating she made it on the plane points to either Katelin running away and needing time or somebody who knew Katelin's travel plans and needed to buy time for themselves. The last person to see Katelin alive (that we know of) knows her mom, her relationship with Amber & her travel plans. JMO but I think that's why this case makes it easy to have tunnel vision. I understand your point though.

Could another family member or close friend have met Katelin near the mall? It could be possible in an area without cameras Katelin hopped right out of SD's car and into another car but I'd think her SD would have noticed if it was that immediate to not catch her on cameras.

Do you lean towards a starting over disappearance or that she met with foul play? Maybe due to somebody even closer than her SD?

Just want to point out re: the texts -- we've had many cases here on WS where the perp texts pretending to be the victim in order to throw off timelines etc...

Many who grow up in small towns will hang out in nearby big cities.

I understand that but, trust me, Springfield wouldn't be the place where they'd hang out. If they wanted to stay closer to home, they'd hang out in Fredericksburg or Woodbridge. If they wanted to travel all the way up here to hang out, it would be Tyson's Corner, Olde Town Alexandria, or bypass NoVA altogether and head right into DC. There's nothing for high schoolers to really do in Springfield, except go to the mall and that mall was entirely gutted of stores up until a year or two ago. Even people from Springfield don't hang out in Springfield.

There have been a few disappearances in the last year (and six in my small town) that turned out to be accidental overdoses. The person or people they are with panic instead of seeking medical treatment. I hope that's not the case here.

Right?! The real estate agent who met a guy at a house showing and he killed her.... HE sent a text to her husband that she was out having drinks with friends. But that was a red flag as she didn't drink.

Just want to point out re: the texts -- we've had many cases here on WS where the perp texts pretending to be the victim in order to throw off timelines etc...

This sorta reminds me of the 1975 Lyon sisters investigation. It seemed that the police focused all of their attention on the mysterious "Tape Recorder Man". All along wile the real suspect sat right in front of them.

To many one track minds.

I think the fact that there is a "history" between a certain family member and Katelin makes a difference in peoples focus.

People keep bringing up that she left cash in her luggage and I just wanted to ask if we've got some sort of link that says how much cash was left? In my opinion, I don't think it's weird for a person to ditch it if they are running off and leaving the rest of their wallet (ID etc) behind. Most people probably don't carry much cash to begin with, unless she worked at a job where she got cash tips. She wasn't a waitress or anything, was she?

Another point I wanted to bring up, is that IF a person is choosing to disappear themselves, they may not be thinking very logically about anything, to be quite honest. It could have been something that was not planned out very far in advance at all. Maybe she was stressed out about a number of things, been going through feelings of "what should I do?" and actually been planning to get on that flight to begin with, but then had a sudden change of heart and impulsive moment.

We are sitting here, most of us very analytical people (which explains our interest in this forum) but we have to remember that not everyone is that way, especially at 19 AND if emotionally charged. While disappearing ourselves may seem crazy and totally illogical if done after texting family members or throwing luggage into a roadside ditch, I think a person certainly could do something if they are at their wit's end. Unfortunately none of us can speak for Katelin, her emotional attachments toward those in her circle, or her state of mind at the time of her disappearance. And by none, I do mean none. No offense intended toward her loved ones, but I've seen so many times when family members say that their loved one "would never do" such and such or "was so happy" when the person was just very good at keeping their true feelings hidden. You all have seen it too, I am sure. Right here on WS -- mothers leaving their young children, husbands leaving their loving wives.

So, all that being said, I guess we could list the possible reasons for her going missing:
(in no order of probability!)

1. She disappeared herself.
2. Her stepdad caused her disappearance. (LE has not named him a POI at this point, btw)
3. A random stranger abducted her after stepdad dropped her off.
4. She met with a known friend who then caused her disappearance.
5. She met someone via sm (internet etc) & arranged to meet them & they caused her disappearance after stepdad dropped her off.

Any other ideas?? (Please do not include aliens.)

To many one track minds

It has nothing to do with having a one track mind. Many have looked over the evidence presented and come to a conclusion, and that should be respected. You have a different opinion, and that's ok too. There has been no verified sighting of Katelin since she was dropped off at her ex stepfather's home, so it's understandable that many lean in that direction.

I don't know if there are or not. I'm just thinking of the route he may have taken (if he's being truthful) and that just seems the most "likely" area that may not have cameras, since most of the other parking areas are open and there are visible cameras throughout the shopping center.

AndiLA, what would be the likely route for the SD to take from Spotsylvania to the airport? Would he have come anywhere near River Road? Do we know how far it would be to Springfield Mall area? I know where Woodbridge is and there is a marina there. I know where Fredricksburg is because there are some great shops there off of I-95. How far is River Road from I-95?

I do not mean to overwhelm you with questions! TIA for any you (or anyone) can answer.

I think the fact that there is a "history" between a certain family member and Katelin makes a difference in peoples focus.

It certainly makes a difference to me. Besides, LE is certainly going to include scrutinizing the last person to see Katelin. That would be protocol, IMO.

If she left voluntarily then she had to have some help. She probably is traveling by car, if her luggage was ditched by her.

If she left with someone it was either spontaneous, impulsive decision, and a sudden opportunity OR it was pre-planned.

If it was a sudden opportunity, then it had to have happened after SD dropped her off at the mall. And if that happened, she would have had to meet someone there pretty quickly. Like in a coffee shop or a store or somewhere. HOWEVER if that happened I would think she would have been on camera during that time. That would have taken awhile. I can't see her jumping out of SD's car then jumping right into a strangers car and accepting a ride. It is hard for me to believe she had time or inclination to meet someone new in that small window of time. The only way would be if she had tinder or something, and LE would have seen that if it happened that way.

The other possibility would be that she had pre-planned her meet up with a friend. But she would have had to plan it on cell, or social media, most likely. And LE would have seen that too.

So it is still hard for me to believe that she voluntarily left. The only way it makes sense is if it was a solid relationship with someone and they set it up secretly in person. But wouldn't her family have known if she was hanging out with someone that weekend? It was only 2 days. How would she have time to do that?

IDK. Everything keeps bringing me back to SD. :waitasec:

CookieM, I'll try to find the article where it states Katelin's wallet with cash in it was also in the bag found on the side of the road. That, along with her identification raises flags for me.

*I haven't seen an amount of cash mentioned.

The article just said "some cash". Hardly helpful or lends a clue to anything...she could have had money in her luggage, money in her wallet, money in her pocket, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People keep bringing up that she left cash in her luggage and I just wanted to ask if we've got some sort of link that says how much cash was left? In my opinion, I don't think it's weird for a person to ditch it if they are running off and leaving the rest of their wallet (ID etc) behind. Most people probably don't carry much cash to begin with, unless she worked at a job where she got cash tips. She wasn't a waitress or anything, was she?

Another point I wanted to bring up, is that IF a person is choosing to disappear themselves, they may not be thinking very logically about anything, to be quite honest. It could have been something that was not planned out very far in advance at all. Maybe she was stressed out about a number of things, been going through feelings of "what should I do?" and actually been planning to get on that flight to begin with, but then had a sudden change of heart and impulsive moment.

We are sitting here, most of us very analytical people (which explains our interest in this forum) but we have to remember that not everyone is that way, especially at 19 AND if emotionally charged. While disappearing ourselves may seem crazy and totally illogical if done after texting family members or throwing luggage into a roadside ditch, I think a person certainly could do something if they are at their wit's end. Unfortunately none of us can speak for Katelin, her emotional attachments toward those in her circle, or her state of mind at the time of her disappearance. And by none, I do mean none. No offense intended toward her loved ones, but I've seen so many times when family members say that their loved one "would never do" such and such or "was so happy" when the person was just very good at keeping their true feelings hidden. You all have seen it too, I am sure. Right here on WS -- mothers leaving their young children, husbands leaving their loving wives.

So, all that being said, I guess we could list the possible reasons for her going missing:
(in no order of probability!)

1. She disappeared herself.
2. Her stepdad caused her disappearance. (LE has not named him a POI at this point, btw)
3. A random stranger abducted her after stepdad dropped her off.
4. She met with a known friend who then caused her disappearance.
5. She met someone via sm (internet etc) & arranged to meet them & they caused her disappearance after stepdad dropped her off.

Any other ideas?? (Please do not include aliens.)

I agree with the bolded:

"Another point I wanted to bring up, is that IF a person is choosing to disappear themselves, they may not be thinking very logically about anything, to be quite honest. It could have been something that was not planned out very far in advance at all. Maybe she was stressed out about a number of things, been going through feelings of "what should I do?" and actually been planning to get on that flight to begin with, but then had a sudden change of heart and impulsive moment."

I agree and I have been trying hard to come up with a scenario where that might have happened. But I cannot figure out one where she would not have been seen on camera or discovered electronically already.

If she went on as though she was going to fly home, then suddenly decided to change plans, then she would have already walked into the mall and been heading to or been on the metro already. There should be video, if so.

And if she decided spur of the moment, to change plans, why is her luggage back in Spotsy area? How did she get a car and a ride back in that direction if it was a sudden plan to leave the old plans aside? I can't figure out how that part happened.

I want to believe she is OK< and just hiding out after a little mental breakdown. But I don't see how it could have happened in that way without her being caught on camera or seen by someone, etc.

AndiLA, what would be the likely route for the SD to take from Spotsylvania to the airport? Would he have come anywhere near River Road? Do we know how far it would be to Springfield Mall area? I know where Woodbridge is and there is a marina there. I know where Fredricksburg is because there are some great shops there off of I-95. How far is River Road from I-95?

I do not mean to overwhelm you with questions! TIA for any you (or anyone) can answer.

I'll have to look at a map in a bit and see where this River Rd is that her bag was found. IMO, there's no reason to get off of the freeway from Spotsy to Springfield. It's a straight shot up 95. And from Spotsy to the airport 95-395 would be the route taken. I'm not familiar with the backroads as I rarely travel further south than fredericksburg, but on the occasion I feel the traffic is too heavy on 95, I'll take Rte 1 down (I think its also called Richmond Hwy). So, this River Rd area is baffling me, I'm finishing up a paper for school and haven't had a chance to really look at where it is in reference to the route(s) that make the most sense (to me). As soon as I'm done, I promise to take a look and give my feedback!

How do you go about buying a prepaid phone (sorry if that's a stupid question!) I mean, do you just get it off the shelf basically and purchase or do they ask for info about the purchaser? Could she have purchased another prepaid phone ahead of time? Paid cash so no real record of the purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214