VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case is beyond frustrating. Is Katelin actually still missing? Has it been disclosed to family they've located her and she doesn't want contact? Did she plan to meet someone at the mall & take off with them - or did that person hurt her? UGH! I know we all have the same questions and it'd be really great to get some solid answers, one way or another.

I know we can't discuss SM (and I won't as it pertains to this case specifically) but I would like to say as a general statement - that it's generally best to keep your SM posts private - limited to friends and family only - especially if your name has been in the media in connection to a crime, missing person's case, or whatever else. In SO many cases I've followed I see people connected to cases that have their SM wide open for anyone to see. This can and often does lead to all kinds of wild speculation, misinterpretations, etc. In the Noah Chamberlin case, it didn't take much for a whole bunch of wackos to launch into the entire family (only due in part to social media), WRONGLY assuming that poor baby was the victim of foul play. I can think of several others (AJ Hadsell, Bella Grogan-Canella, Jenise Wright, just to name a few) where victim's families and loved ones had their SM wide open for the world to see. It's never a good thing. Ever. Just wanted to say that.

If she had contacted LE or they felt they were sure where she was they would issue a generic public comment such as "We do not at this time feel that this person is in any danger and we are no longer searching for them".

This case is beyond frustrating. Is Katelin actually still missing? Has it been disclosed to family they've located her and she doesn't want contact? Did she plan to meet someone at the mall & take off with them - or did that person hurt her? UGH! I know we all have the same questions and it'd be really great to get some solid answers, one way or another.

I know we can't discuss SM (and I won't as it pertains to this case specifically) but I would like to say as a general statement - that it's generally best to keep your SM posts private - limited to friends and family only - especially if your name has been in the media in connection to a crime, missing person's case, or whatever else. In SO many cases I've followed I see people connected to cases that have their SM wide open for anyone to see. This can and often does lead to all kinds of wild speculation, misinterpretations, etc. In the Noah Chamberlin case, it didn't take much for a whole bunch of wackos to launch into the entire family (only due in part to social media), WRONGLY assuming that poor baby was the victim of foul play. I can think of several others (AJ Hadsell, Bella Grogan-Canella, Jenise Wright, just to name a few) where victim's families and loved ones had their SM wide open for the world to see. It's never a good thing. Ever. Just wanted to say that.

Yes Mom I'll remember that.. I would think that LE would announce that whomever had been located, and then offer no other info. I just hope and pray she's OK somewhere..

If she had contacted LE or they felt they were sure where she was they would issue a generic public comment such as "We do not at this time feel that this person is in any danger and we are no longer searching for them".

I guess.... but I've seen cases (locally) where a young person has gone missing and LE has gotten the vibe that it was voluntary and while the person is still missing, there is no big urgency. I've never really understood why they don't just say: we think this person is voluntarily missing or a runaway or whatever, but I've seen it happen that way. And then the person turns up eventually.

Maybe LE has not made contact, but they have things that point to more than likely voluntary, so they are just leaving it open. If the family felt that LE wasn't doing enough I would think (hope) they would be pressing for more action. From what I had seen on fb however, her immediate family was saying that LE had it covered, they were handling it, and they seemed satisfied with the way LE was dealing with the case.

moo

I'm pretty sure LE would issue a statement too, if she'd actually been located. Then again, LE sometimes does stuff that makes me go HUH?! after the fact.

I don't think LE has talked to Katelin. Regardless of what is going on, there is just no way they have confirmed her identity and spoken with her and left her missing flyers up. (And indeed they are still up.)

http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1259083/1

They might have very good evidence that she possibly planned this or disappeared on her own or whatever, but I just can not and do not buy that LE has talked to Katelin and has left the case open. It goes against all logic, particularly LE logic, in that they would like to cases off of their list as easily and quickly as possible (not saying they are not doing their job well by any means, I 'm just saying no one is going to keep working on something that is already done)...

My biggest hope is that this young woman is safe. My second biggest hope is that whatever is going on or has happened, that the case isn't forgotten about and will be resolved promptly (that the silence is tactical).

Refresh my memory, was there ever any search done of the area her things were found in?

Refresh my memory, was there ever any search done of the area her things were found in?

From what I recall, the police searched the basic area but to my knowledge their was no big publicized search (volunteers called in, S&R teams, etc.)

I could be wrong in that, but a quick google search didn't turn up any results for any real search (publicized one).

Here's an interesting comment from this article about a current teen missing in NC.

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/local/community/fort-mill-times/article56617398.html

Cases of missing persons are handled differently depending on what information investigators have. Suspected kidnapping of a child would be publicized differently, for instance, than an older teen in a runaway situation.

If a teen runs away and is safe with a friend or acquaintance, extra attention can sometimes have an opposite affect to the one parents want, officials said.

“It kind of fuels the desire to stay gone,” said Trent Faris, spokesperson for the sheriff’s office.

And here's the WS thread for the teen:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...auren-Skye-Sulli-17-Fort-Mill-20-January-2016

From what I recall, the police searched the basic area but to my knowledge their was no big publicized search (volunteers called in, S&R teams, etc.)

I could be wrong in that, but a quick google search didn't turn up any results for any real search (publicized one).

Doesn't that seem strange? A person is missing, all of their belongings are found dumped, and no area search? That in and of itself says something to me. That perhaps they feel they know she has to be elsewhere.

Good, I'm not crazy :) I was pretty sure I'd noticed last night that the public FB group called "Help Find Katelin Akens" had vanished from FB while the older "Find Katelin" group continued, and have to say that it strikes me as unusual given that many of the most active members of the now-vanished "HFKA" group were Katelin's fiancee and her family as well as Websleuths regulars, while the "Find Katelin" group has been the site of many comments and contributions from Katelin's "blood relatives."

While I could extrapolate about what this might suggest in terms of the case's resolution, I don't have any desire to contravene Websleuths' TOS--so all I can objectively say is that it seems uncommon for a SM group focusing on a missing person to disappear without notice and/or explanation and/or offering of a potential or definitive outcome of the search.

Regardless of the makeup of either group, I sincerely hope that those family, friends, in-laws, etc.--who are sincerely trying to ensure Katelin's safety have been given the information to do so or the means to pursue their search.

Yes, to this 1 million times over [emoji6]!!!!!

Per my opinion based on what I have read and sleuthed, it's of my opinion there may not be enough resources to work Katelin and Heather Ciconnes cases, it seems as though one case is being worked more aggressively and the other case has been put on the backburner, it's just easier to go along with the idea she ran away.

Per my opinion based on what I have read and sleuthed, it's of my opinion there may not be enough resources to work Katelin and Heather Ciconnes cases, it seems as though one case is being worked more aggressively and the other case has been put on the backburner, it's just easier to go along with the idea she ran away.

I think that you're absolutely correct. Why don't they call in some help, it seems they really need it.

Gosh darn it! I'm going to walk out on a limb here. We can't deny the fact that HC was murdered, and her body was found about 8-miles from where KA's suitcase was found. Therefore there's no denying there is a murderer on the loose in the area. So is it at all possible that whoever killed HC had something to do with KA's disaperance, and dumped her luggage off the roadway?

I stated that same thing in a post a long time ago, Ibiz. Too coincidental, IMO, that it was the same weekend and in close proximity.

JMO

Do you think the coincidence of the 8 miles difference from where HC was found and KA' s suitcase was dumped, could be a planned event if KA was picked up by a friend?

The friend was likely local and knew the circumstances about the murder, so thought by dumping the suitcase close to the proximity of the discovery of HC, it would be suspicious and raise questions that KA had met the same ill fate of HC?

Do you think the coincidence of the 8 miles difference from where HC was found and KA' s suitcase was dumped, could be a planned event if KA was picked up by a friend?

The friend was likely local and knew the circumstances about the murder, so thought by dumping the suitcase close to the proximity of the discovery of HC, it would be suspicious and raise questions that KA had met the same ill fate of HC?

I agree. Whatever seemed to have happened here involved someone Katelin knew. This is one scenario. The other is IF she made it to Springfield and IF something happened to her that she did not plan, then it likely would not be a stranger. If a stranger did something to her in Springfield I believe her luggage would have been thrown in a dumpster up there. In that case, dumping the luggage where they did indicated they knew where she grew up. I don't believe she had a drivers license and some of what would be in her wallet or purse might have an Arizona address so that not point a stranger back toward Spotsylvania.

Gosh darn it! I'm going to walk out on a limb here. We can't deny the fact that HC was murdered, and her body was found about 8-miles from where KA's suitcase was found. Therefore there's no denying there is a murderer on the loose in the area. So is it at all possible that whoever killed HC had something to do with KA's disaperance, and dumped her luggage off the roadway?

OK maybe but why then does this killer leave one body in open sight, then take or hide the other. That's pretty risky stuff to haul someone around. That's a good way to get caught, it seems to be a different M.O.

Pretty sure LE has already stated these two cases are not related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hustling01