VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bumping for Katelin. There are many aspects of this case that really irk me. One being LE's apparent focus on tower pings of SD and KA's texts sent/received, which is not foolproof by any means nor even very reliable for pinpointing someone's location at certain times.
Spoofing -- There's many programs and apps that one can install to use to spoof their cell location when sending out a text (and receiving one). SD could've used one. You can also easily spoof a number to make it look as though it's coming from another number if one knows how. I wonder if LE ever searched SD's phone, especially in regards to deleted apps or if he was using a VPN and/or app with spoofing capabilities and latency manipulation of some sort.
Didn't Katelin have a VPN of some sort installed on her phone?
Does anyone know what SD does (or did) for a living or what his field is/was?

Bumping for Katelin. There are many aspects of this case that really irk me. One being LE's apparent focus on tower pings of SD and KA's texts sent/received, which is not foolproof by any means nor even very reliable for pinpointing someone's location at certain times.
Spoofing -- There's many programs and apps that one can install to use to spoof their cell location when sending out a text (and receiving one). SD could've used one. You can also easily spoof a number to make it look as though it's coming from another number if one knows how. I wonder if LE ever searched SD's phone, especially in regards to deleted apps or if he was using a VPN and/or app with spoofing capabilities and latency manipulation of some sort.
Didn't Katelin have a VPN of some sort installed on her phone?
Does anyone know what SD does (or did) for a living or what his field is/was?

I think of Katelin often. I wish LE would put fresh eyes on this case because I agree, things were missed in the initial investigation. She had no money. I don't believe she deliberately disappeared to start a new life some where else. I believe she met with foul play and someone is getting away with it.

Hopefully they checked his financial transactions to see if he got any money out to help her runaway, if that is the case.

Watched this today. Nice overview of Katelin's case and some interesting conclusions.
Thoughts?
My thoughts...
First, there's no mention of the sa by the ex stepfather. IIRC, that was an issue.
The suitcase in the ditch, it didn't need to be a second person to throw it out of a moving vehicle. It didn't even have to be a moving vehicle either. BUT, someone could have thrown it out the driver's door, by pulling into the wrong lane of traffic, tossing it, and then right back into the correct lane. Could have thrown it onto the road and a passerby saw it, moved it to the ditch thinking it fell off a truck, or a luggage rack on a vehicle. It could have fallen off a truck or luggage rack!

I don't think Katelin ditched the suitcase. For one, even if she wanted to disappear, there's no logical reason to ditch the suitcase. She would still have her clothing, and other items that needed 'something' to carry them in. Sure she could have used a smaller carry bag, or tote, or gym bag, however, why worry about using something else when you already have something perfectly capable of doing the job? Second, 'IF' she was meeting someone else, from a dating app, from another secret app, she still needed her few belongings, wallet and money. Yet her wallet was among the things found in the suitcase. So now, no identification, no money....if she was leaving to start new some place, she would need her identification. Yeah she could have gotten fake, but again, WHY? She didn't need to! She didn't do anything illegal to be hiding! There's no law that says she can't start new somewhere else, and still use her identity. Things would be much easier to use her identification.

Lastly, if Katelin were still alive, she could contact ANY police dept in the USA, say she's been reported missing but that she isn't, and that she doesn't want contact with family and police would not tell where she is. They would remove the case, let her family know she's alive, and voluntarily starting over, and if she wanted to contact the family she could, but the case is closed, and it's up to Katelin to do what she wants. That's all that could happen! There's nothing illegal that Katelin has done. So nothing she can be charged for, nothing she can be arrested for. She's free to live her life. If Katelin were as close to her ex stepfather, as this video would have you think, she wouldn't want that cloud hanging over him that he could be guilty of something. She would want it known that he didn't harm her. Yet, she hasn't done that. If the ex stepfather wanted to clear the suspicion, likewise he could show his phone that Katelin had confided in him that she wanted to disappear so he helped her do so. Again, nothing illegal about that. He could calm the fears of her family, his family and LE with proof that Katelin was talking to someone else and left with that person. Or, if he thought she had left with someone else, yet hasn't been heard from in 3 yrs, and he really cared for and loved Katelin, then why hasn't he come forward with any information of her meeting someone else and putting that suspicion on that person? And why hasn't he given LE that information for them to see if Katelin is alive and living with this other person and is OK?

Because IMO, the ex stepfather knows there's nothing he can say that will help him or Katelin at this point. He knows there's nothing to ease the suspicion from him. But that's just my thoughts on it. Maybe his loyalty to Katelin is strong enough that he would rather live under suspicion, and possibly charges and still keep protecting Katelin. I don't know.

My husband just watched that video with me. His thoughts....has the ex stepfather's work place been thoroughly checked? The areas all around it? He felt the body could be near the work place and the ex stepfather couldn't deal with working there anymore because of it. My husband knows nothing about the case other than that video.

Hopefully they checked his financial transactions to see if he got any money out to help her runaway, if that is the case.

Yes and IMO she would have needed help more than once if she was starting over with nothing. I'm sure she could have gotten a job somewhere and be self sufficient. I don't believe she is alive though. I would LOVE to be wrong!!!

Yes and IMO she would have needed help more than once if she was starting over with nothing. I'm sure she could have gotten a job somewhere and be self sufficient. I don't believe she is alive though. I would LOVE to be wrong!!!
I dont either, most likely the person responsible burnt the clothes and got rid of the rest. Does this guy got access to a farm or firepit. I am not all up to date with this case.

No chance he helped her do anything except find her way to a secret grave in some clearing in the woods.
What do you think he knocked her out with drugs and took her somewhere else

He wouldn't have needed drugs; he could have used brute force. It could have been a loss of temper situation, but I think it was more likely sexually motivated. We've seen a number of cases over the years of girls raped and murdered by stepfathers/mom's boyfriends.

He wouldn't have needed drugs; he could have used brute force. It could have been a loss of temper situation, but I think it was more likely sexually motivated. We've seen a number of cases over the years of girls raped and murdered by stepfathers/mom's boyfriends.
In other articles i read it said they searched his house and cars. They must not of find anything noteworthy. In other words he must of took her somewhere else.

JMO but I don't believe for one second that her stepfather tried to help her. I also believe she is missing voluntarily. How many cases of missing girls have we followed? Too many to count! How many of those girls, women have turned up 3 years later and been fine? Very few. My prayer is that there will someday be justice for Katelin.

Last edited by a moderator:
JMO but I don't believe for one second that her stepfather tried to help her. I also believe she is missing voluntarily. How many cases of missing girls have we followed? Too many to count! How many of those girls, women have turned up 3 years later and been fine? Very few. My prayer is that there will someday be justice for Katelin.
Did you mean to say "don't believe she is missing voluntarily"?

BBM.

Is that a typo? I'm fine with it if it's your opinion, it just seems at odds with the rest of your post.

I quoted myself to fix a typo as it's too late to edit my post. I meant to type "I also DON'T believe she is missing voluntarily". Sorry about that!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back