VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

It seems that the detective on Katelin's case in Spotsylvania seems to REALLY care so much about her case, so I hope LE is just tightlipped while they construct a solid case.

Thank you @kelsie ! This is an excellent video. I like how they lay out the text messages with the times. I hope JB is scared, as the FBI is digging in.

I'm just so devastated for her mom and sister and girlfriend. She was such an important part of their lives, just ripped away from them by someone who helped RAISE her! (My opinion)
It doesn't make any sense. If stepdad was innocent, he'd have no problem doing what's asked of him. If he was innocent, he'd be in contact with Katelin's family and supporting them. I'm not a big believer in polygraphs, but if I was asked to take one, I would agree to it no problem. It shows the investigators transparency and cooperation. I pray to God they're just trying to build a rock solid case because thinking of what likely happened to Katelin puts a pit in my stomach. I rack my brain for a motive. Could be sexual, could be a hate crime due to her sexuality, could be the sickest way possible to "get back at" his ex-wife. Any of these possibilities make me sick.

They never got a search warrant to search his second property because his mom was living there as a tenant. I don't understand the laws that go into that, but it infuriates me. Some mothers lie to cover their kids' actions. Something has GOT to give in this case. I hate that this is still unsolved despite the events being somewhat obvious to many of us. imo.

I wonder if this will be one of the cases like the ones we occasionally see on ID TV where a new prosecutor will figure that this case is not going to get any better and will go with a circumstantial/common sense theory of the crime. With no body and no forensics, it would come down to the persuasive powers of the prosecutor.

A "badly decomposed body" was found in the woods in Spotsylvania yesterday evening. Not sure if this could be Katelin since any remains would likely be described as "skeletal" by now, but they couldn't determine sex/race so perhaps they were very close to skeletal. Might be unrelated but here it is anyway:

Police trying to identify human remains found in Spotsylvania

NamUs lists a man missing since last February in Spotsylvania County, so imo it's more likely to be him, but posting regardless.

New podcast episode by John Lordan about Katelin's case: Searching for Katelin Akens - Part 1

Katelin's former stepfather had a simple task, take her to the airport so she could fly home. However Katelin would never get there, and cooperation has stopped from the last person to see her. Did she run away from her life, or are we looking at a case of foul play? Part 1 of 2.

A "badly decomposed body" was found in the woods in Spotsylvania yesterday evening. Not sure if this could be Katelin since any remains would likely be described as "skeletal" by now, but they couldn't determine sex/race so perhaps they were very close to skeletal. Might be unrelated but here it is anyway:

Police trying to identify human remains found in Spotsylvania

NamUs lists a man missing since last February in Spotsylvania County, so imo it's more likely to be him, but posting regardless.
It was a man: Authorities still investigating ‘suspicious’ death in Spotsylvania | WRIC ABC 8News

The Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office shared Monday that the person has been identified as an adult male and the next of kin has been informed, but authorities withheld the man’s identity as the investigation continues.

I'm new to this thread but for some reason kaitlin has been on my mind for the last week or so (which is weird/random as I'm from UK and don't really know a lot about her case) but sonething in my gut tells me the last person to see her is actually involved with her disappearance... Then today I see there is a new local billboard appealing for info about her disappearance and then today I go on to youtube when a video about her case is on there too (I've not searched her case in months, just been thinking about it only). Apologies if I upset anyone with this post but felt I needed to come here document it.

All MOO of course.

I'm new to this thread but for some reason kaitlin has been on my mind for the last week or so (which is weird/random as I'm from UK and don't really know a lot about her case) but sonething in my gut tells me the last person to see her is actually involved with her disappearance... Then today I see there is a new local billboard appealing for info about her disappearance and then today I go on to youtube when a video about her case is on there too (I've not searched her case in months, just been thinking about it only). Apologies if I upset anyone with this post but felt I needed to come here document it.

All MOO of course.

I think that many posts on this thread make it clear you’re far from alone in that “gut” feeling! Problem is, though, that the Fredericksburg PD seems to feel no sense of urgency to solve this case. Given how much time has elapsed with no apparent progress or any continued efforts to interview the last person who saw Katelin, it almost seems (IMO) that the police here are actively obstructing justice rather than pursuing it.

All MOO of course.

I'm a UK poster too. Have followed this case here since the start and it makes me so damn angry. I'm 100% sure not one person believes she just ran off by herself, nope, we all know.

I'm a UK poster too. Have followed this case here since the start and it makes me so damn angry. I'm 100% sure not one person believes she just ran off by herself, nope, we all know.
I'd bet you'd be right in that assumption. I don't believe there's a snowballs chance in Hades that she ran off by herself.....
Praying for justice for Katelin.

The last person to see her alive has to know something. I first heard about this case not too long ago when I started listening to crime junkie. This case has really stuck with me as it is so intriguing. How can someone "not know" where she is. Someone has to know something and just doesn't want to say for fear that they will get in trouble.
I believe I read on here that the step dad wasn't cooperating? Is this true? Did he cooperate in the beginning and then stop or did he not cooperate at all? If he didn't cooperate at all wouldn't LE realize that he was definitely hiding something and bring him in for questioning and search everything around him? That s something I would definitely do.

The last person to see her alive has to know something. I first heard about this case not too long ago when I started listening to crime junkie. This case has really stuck with me as it is so intriguing. How can someone "not know" where she is. Someone has to know something and just doesn't want to say for fear that they will get in trouble.
I believe I read on here that the step dad wasn't cooperating? Is this true? Did he cooperate in the beginning and then stop or did he not cooperate at all? If he didn't cooperate at all wouldn't LE realize that he was definitely hiding something and bring him in for questioning and search everything around him? That s something I would definitely do.
The prevailing theory here is that the stepfather killed her. He will not unlock his phone for the police. If they ever get it unlocked, they may be able to find the evidence needed to charge and convict him.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "cooperating." He may have initially answered questions, but if his answers were lies (as I believe that they were), that's not what I would call "cooperating."

The prevailing theory here is that the stepfather killed her. He will not unlock his phone for the police. If they ever get it unlocked, they may be able to find the evidence needed to charge and convict him.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "cooperating." He may have initially answered questions, but if his answers were lies (as I believe that they were), that's not what I would call "cooperating."
thats how it sounded when I was listening to it. I always thought he was lying. I just didn't know if he actually answered questions for the police. If he did I don't believe he actually told the truth

Re: the KA case, I strongly suspect the last person to see her knows what happened here. I also find it odd that this person claimed that KA was dropped off at the mall - but no cameras picked her up. Odd.

That being said, I also agree that they probably don't have enough evidence to do anything here. And, suspicions aren't definitive facts.

Hopefully something will "break" at some point re: this case. It definitely seems solvable & doesn't appear to be nearly as much of a mystery as many other missing persons cases out there.

Last edited:
Hopefully something will "break" at some point re: this case. It definitely seems solvable & doesn't appear to be nearly as much of a mystery as many other missing persons cases out there.

I'm of the opinion stepdad has to have connections with someone for why he wasn't investigated harder in the beginning. Why did the false story appear in the paper stating cameras confirmed he dropped her off when they didn't? I hear people say there isn't enough evidence, but in VA there have been convictions with less. He was the last person seen with her and he lied about where he dropped her off (confirmed by pings and cameras). He didn't call/text trying to reach her. He didn't join in on the search. He didn't go into work like he planned right afterwards and stopped going into work. These are all huge red flags. Other people have been charged and convicted for abduction based on that . Why did it take a month, as I recall, just to get a search warrant for his house? In VA people have been convicted with no body and only circumstantial evidence with no DNA. Is Spotsylvania just scared to try a case b/c he can afford an attorney? I don't get it.

Why is he special?

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme