VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I always thought she voluntarily disappeared and after tonight's show, I think the step-dad was enlisted to help her. The phrase about not wanting to be in Virginia and not wanting to go to Arizona says it all to me.
I still don't even understand why her mom had the step dad taking her to the airport anyway. And the mom had to say on TV, "Her step dad knows Katelyn can't ride the train from the mall to the airport." Come again? Same vibe I had when this first happened.

I don't think that her being voluntarily gone is outside the realm of possibility at all. Or even that she'd ask for help from the only dad she ever knew.

What I have a tough time reconciling is that it means she's the kind of person who could feel so bad about the hook up with her friends that she'd need to run away from it. Would that kind of person be able to allow her mother to suffer her disappearance for a year and a half and not somehow let her know she's alive? It seems counterintuitive.

For that matter, could the step dad allow that suffering to go on with an ex wife he's still clearly somewhat friendly with. If it's just needing to drop out of her life, at some point wouldn't they both conclude it's better to tell mom not to worry? It's all so strange.

JMO

No that's understandable and makes more sense than a lot of theories. People many times forget when they see family members so adamant about what their loved ones "would NEVER do" that you never truly know what's inside anyone..if one of my loved ones disappeared I'd be saying the same thing and it would be highly unlikely but people do things all the time we never thought they could do. And you never know what's really inside. The only reason I have a problem with that theory is I just can't see search warrants and me being looked at as I'm responsible for someone's disappearance or worse and the stepdad taking all that on to cover for a former stepdaughter..that just seems like a stretch but again we never know. I'm leaning more towards he did something to her rather than assisting just because of what he has to gain versus the negatives of covering for her. But I don't think what you're saying is that unlikely either.. jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I agree with you too. That's the thing: this whole case is so strange! I can see it both ways, but in each theory are several holes so I don't feel certain about either.

What about the possibility that she wanted to leave and met up with someone via a chat app? She could have gone off with someone who harmed her.

Don't get me wrong, I think the step-dad is shady, but I'm just unable to shake these questions I have.

I don't think that her being voluntarily gone is outside the realm of possibility at all. Or even that she'd ask for help from the only dad she ever knew.

What I have a tough time reconciling is that it means she's the kind of person who could feel so bad about the hook up with her friends that she'd need to run away from it. Would that kind of person be able to allow her mother to suffer her disappearance for a year and a half and not somehow let her know she's alive? It seems counterintuitive.

For that matter, could the step dad allow that suffering to go on with an ex wife he's still clearly somewhat friendly with. If it's just needing to drop out of her life, at some point wouldn't they both conclude it's better to tell mom not to worry? It's all so strange.

JMO
Yeah, it doesn't jive.

His cell pinged near his home when he said he had just dropped her off at mall. Her cell pinged near where her luggage was found, which was near home. He called out of work that day but told her mom that he dropped her off and went to work.

This guy is as guilty as sin. When her sis said she had no clue how to use the metro, I knew his story was complete B.S. People who have no experience with the subway don't just say "Oh, let me try it" four hours before a flight. That was his big mistake, not knowing she had no experience with the metro when he made up that dumb story.

JMO

Oh I don't think she would have run away because of the hook up with the friends. I think that it would have been brewing for a long time before this and maybe that was the catalyst. Her family seems to think (from what they said on the Disappeared episode) that she was not capable of doing things on her own. She called them all the time, couldn't figure out what to do when a baking pan was too full, would never be able to figure out how to use public transport...etc, etc...
Maybe she was stifled in that environment and this was the time she chose to break free.

This guy is as guilty as sin. When her sis said she had no clue how to use the metro, I knew his story was complete B.S. People who have no experience with the subway don't just say "Oh, let me try it" four hours before a flight. That was his big mistake, not knowing she had no experience with the metro when he made up that dumb story.

It has always bothered me how the female family members talk about her like she wasn't quite bright. Maybe that's why she had no problem leaving without contacting them.

Oh I don't think she would have run away because of the hook up with the friends. I think that it would have been brewing for a long time before this and maybe that was the catalyst. Her family seems to think (from what they said on the Disappeared episode) that she was not capable of doing things on her own. She called them all the time, couldn't figure out what to do when a baking pan was too full, would never be able to figure out how to use public transport...etc, etc...
Maybe she was stifled in that environment and this was the time she chose to break free.

Yes. That would be a whole other kettle of fish. I agree that they seemed to have a "set" perspective on her capabilities. And I did find it odd they were convinced a young woman who graduated from high school at 16 could not get on the Metro and go five stops.

It has always bothered me how the female family members talk about her like she wasn't quite bright. Maybe that's why she had no problem leaving without contacting them.

Perhaps, but I personally am quite bright, and my family speaks of me that way, and I'd still have no clue how to take the metro from the mall closest to my nearest airport. It would be VERY out of character for me to say I'm going to do that (unless I'd researched it for days). And I think her family is correct in saying it was for her too.

Yes. That would be a whole other kettle of fish. I agree that they seemed to have a "set" perspective on her capabilities. And I did find it odd they were convinced a young woman who graduated from high school at 16 could not get on the Metro and go five stops.

Do you regularly ride public transportation?

Do you regularly ride public transportation?

Not recently. But I did once upon a time. And I have taken it from Franconia Springfield to Reagan. It's a straight shot with no line changes. Metro can have its challenges, no doubt, but it's one on/one off for the ride they are talking about.

Not recently. But I did once upon a time. And I have taken it from Franconia Springfield to Reagan. It's a straight shot with no line changes. Metro can have its challenges, no doubt, but it's one on/one off for the ride they are talking about.

I don't doubt that it's easy, but for someone not used to doing it, the day you were going to catch a flight in a few hours is not the day to learn how. I've done it too (two different metro systems), during two different times in my life, and I learned how to do it well, but that was many, many years ago, and if I were do attempt to do it now, I'd research it first and probably tell people around me I was doing it! She was on constant contact with her sis and mom. She'd have mentioned it. JMO.

Why should the ex stepfather have known anyway, if he left when she was 13, that she could not ride the metro? Mom said he should have known.

Perhaps, but I personally am quite bright, and my family speaks of me that way, and I'd still have no clue how to take the metro from the mall closest to my nearest airport. It would be VERY out of character for me to say I'm going to do that (unless I'd researched it for days). And I think her family is correct in saying it was for her too.

Don't stay in that abuse. How can we say that the family is correct when we have not met Katelyn? Taking the metro 5 stops is incredibly easy.

Don't stay in that abuse. How can we say that the family is correct when we have not met Katelyn? Taking the metro 5 stops is incredibly easy.

Abuse? Huh?

I guess we can't say for sure, but I am certainly not discounting her family saying it's out of character. What's step-dad's excuse for his phone, and hers, being 50 miles away from where they "said" they were via text at the time the texts were sent? And him lying about going to work? He's guilty. Her body is on his property 10 acres is plenty of space to hide a body if nobody is searching for it like a needle in a haystack.

IMO, JMO

I don't doubt that it's easy, but for someone not used to doing it, the day you were going to catch a flight in a few hours is not the day to learn how. I've done it too (two different metro systems), during two different times in my life, and I learned how to do it well, but that was many, many years ago, and if I were do attempt to do it now, I'd research it first and probably tell people around me I was doing it! She was on constant contact with her sis and mom. She'd have mentioned it. JMO.

Likely true. Especially if she had no history of taking the Metro. I do kind of think that part of the story makes little sense as a practical thing she was going to do.

I was more agreeing with the sense that her family did give off a vibe of saying she's smart but not really great at figuring out how to do "life" things - which might have frustrated her. But honestly, who knows how accurate things end up sounding when these shows edit family interviews.

I still think the whole story is hinky and lean toward the fact that she would not put her family through this.

Why should the ex stepfather have known anyway, if he left when she was 13, that she could not ride the metro? Mom said he should have known.

That's a good point. I do think that he may have kept in touch with the girls after the split, but she had moved to AZ and how would he know if she had used public transportation in her travels?

I recall that there was some discussion of Katelyn not having a good relationship with the ex-stepdad but on the show the mom made a point of saying that Katelin was excited to see him because she hadn't seen him in a long time. For some reason I was under the impression that she was kindof forced to get a ride with him, but I guess not.

My theory is that she confided in the SF what had gone on at the drunken party, and he thought that he could have a bit too, she objected and he during the event, killed her. Or even if she did not confide in him, someone let him know. Many men, think that if women have done it before, they have not right to say no to other men.

Stepdad didn't go to work as planned the day of the disappearance. To me, that's big.

Stepdad didn't go to work as planned the day of the disappearance. To me, that's big.

I agree, especially with him lying about it to LE. I could understand if he lied to mom, but for him to lie about it, the n the day K just happen to disappear, just doesn't sit right with me.

*Just my random thoughts & opinions*

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IndigoRose
Back