VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This timeline from Spiritecho was very helpful.

I would like to add that according to this article, her phone sent a text to Amber at 11:56am saying, "Something came up and I’m not coming back today. I’ll let you know when I get a new flight."

Spiritecho's timeline has her mother dropping her off at her stepfather's home between 11am and noon. This means the plan for her not getting on the flight was set into motion very shortly after her mother dropped her off.

It also said her flight was at 5:40pm. It takes 33 minutes to get from Springfield Town Center mall to National, 15 minutes of that is walking from the mall to the train station. It might take a little more with a suitcase and for someone not familiar with the train system. I would give myself an hour to get to National and aim to get there at least an hour before the flight leaves. So 3:30pm would be my absolute latest time to leave. Unless I were shopping for something specific from that mall, I probably would not stop there at 1:30pm. I would go straight to National and go to the shops there. I guess all that's moot because the pings shows they never left the area of his house. It just shows how sloppy her step father's lies were.

The 11:56am text is meaningful though. It means in less than an hour, either her stepfather and possible accomplices took control over her phone OR she decided she was not getting on the plane that evening. Whatever happened happened fast.

I think there was probably evidence or something on [her clothes and diploma], so they were disposed of elsewhere. :(
Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
The prep should have disposed of the suitcase and wallet in the same manner. Her wallet had the cards with her name in it, so whoever put it beside the road should have known someone might find it and report it to the police.

This makes me wonder if they wanted it to be found. Suppose her stepfather agreed not to a plan to let her gone on her own someplace other than her flight to Arizona. Her stepfather could have thought this was a harmless fib to help her escape from a relationship her g/f in AZ. Maybe a friend picked her up. Her friend purposely left identifiable things nearby so suspicion would fall on her stepfather. Her stepfather lied as planned, and once she turned up missing with her suitcase near his house, he felt like no matter what he said at that point he would look guilty. He would have even more incentive to keep quiet if he knowingly turned her over to bad guys of some sort.

There is a slight chance the suitcase was left there to draw investigation on her stepfather, but in general I tend to suspect stupidity over machinations. Whoever did this was troubled and didn't have as long to mull it over as we have had.

Her stepfather could have thought this was a harmless fib to help her escape from a relationship her g/f in AZ.

Kind of don't think her gf in AZ is a gangster, if she wanted to break up with her gf, why would she feel it was necessary to disappear without even telling her mother ?

I have two questions:

Does anyone know what time the ex-SF phoned in that he wasn't going in to work? Seems like that would be important for a number of reasons. Day before? - Indicates significant premeditation. Or maybe just an hour before he was supposed to start work, when all those other texts were happening. And if so, who took the call and how did he sound?
Also, in that very short 8 hour search of his property, I am wondering if scent dogs were used.

I came across this excellent video on you tube. https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=IcTmsVuI97E

I do have a question that I’m hoping any of u can answer: they talk about text messages supposedly sent from Katelins phone which didn’t match the tower it pinged from. There is another text message and FN message from her to her fiancée I believe. Where did these messages ping from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two questions:

Does anyone know what time the ex-SF phoned in that he wasn't going in to work? Seems like that would be important for a number of reasons. Day before? - Indicates significant premeditation. Or maybe just an hour before he was supposed to start work, when all those other texts were happening. And if so, who took the call and how did he sound?
Also, in that very short 8 hour search of his property, I am wondering if scent dogs were used.
He wasn't meant to work that day at all.
Idk if dogs were used but it wasn't searched until a month after she went missing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He wasn't meant to work that day at all.
Idk if dogs were used but it wasn't searched until a month after she went missing

Right... so if the messages supposedly were Katelin where were the messages sent from (where did they ping from) ? And x step dad said he was at work but in fact did not work. Lies.

They pinged from near his house and then the last one pinged where her bag was found. No where near the airport

Urgh I just tried searching for Katelin's thread and couldn't find it, so I came to 2010 and upward missing. I know threads must be moved but just made my heart drop.
Where are you baby girl???!!!!

After just watching the Disappeared episode from last year, I believe she is deceased. Her family is right - there is no way she would have not gotten in touch with them if she was alive. But it does bother me that they say over and over how Katelin was not capable of most things. After being away from home for so long, she might have worked out how to do more things for herself.

But what reason would he have to do her harm or kill her?

It doesn't really show motive nor intent for him to do this. Jmo. She was leaving that day. She was an adult and he could have said no to the ride since he is separated from moms and the family.

I just don't see a motive here. And the police probably dont see one as well.

What type of argument can take place 2 hrs before leaving to go drop her off to the airport?

But what reason would he have to do her harm or kill her?

It doesn't really show motive nor intent for him to do this. Jmo. She was leaving that day. She was an adult and he could have said no to the ride since he is separated from moms and the family.

I just don't see a motive here. And the police probably dont see one as well.

What type of argument can take place 2 hrs before leaving to go drop her off to the airport?
Perhaps sexual attraction?
Imo, well not really my opinion, just throwing it out there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A podcast called Crime Junkie released an episode about Katelin last week: https://www.crimejunkiepodcast.com/single-post/2018/03/12/Episode-15---MISSING-Katelin-Akens

(Not sure if it's okay to link to it and I haven't listened to it myself yet -- just saw it posted in the Find Katelin fb group and thought it might be of interest.)

I couldn't get too excited about this podcast. However, it does provide exposure to Katelin's case and that in itself can help.

Perhaps sexual attraction?
Imo, well not really my opinion, just throwing it out there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lol. Ok. And I understand since I doubt he was sexually attracted to her. But you never know.

But in all honesty. I am not seeing a motive for him to kill her unless she just witnessed that he was involved in something else.

The grand jury just needs a motive and it just doesn't seem to be one as we speak. Jmo.

Plus the family doesn't seem to have a motive as well.

Because if so; She wouldn't have been dropped off to him in the first place. Jmo.

Kind of don't think her gf in AZ is a gangster, if she wanted to break up with her gf, why would she feel it was necessary to disappear without even telling her mother ?
Yes. My scenario does not make much sense. It would have be a case where she her mother was part of the problem she wanted to get away from. Another flaw in this scenario is that if she had a thought-out plan to start a new life, her stepfather could have revealed it to help police find who did it and to get suspicion off him. Another flaw is that the plan would have to be for Katelin eventually to admit to someone where she went. If the plan was for her to disappear, her stepfather would have known from the beginning that his lies in connection with her disappearance would look suspicious.

I struggle to think of an innocent explanation. I know he has no motive, that does not rule him out as a suspect. People commit crimes with no motive.

It makes me wonder how much circumstantial evidence is required to convict someone. If you say you took someone from point A to point B, witnesses show she was a point A but never at point B, and she disappears, and you have no explanation, it seems like there is probable cause to suspect you were involved in a crime. Maybe it takes a little more evidence to rise to the level of "beyond reasonable doubt".

Yes. My scenario does not make much sense. It would have be a case where she her mother was part of the problem she wanted to get away from. Another flaw in this scenario is that if she had a thought-out plan to start a new life, her stepfather could have revealed it to help police find who did it and to get suspicion off him. Another flaw is that the plan would have to be for Katelin eventually to admit to someone where she went. If the plan was for her to disappear, her stepfather would have known from the beginning that his lies in connection with her disappearance would look suspicious.

I struggle to think of an innocent explanation. I know he has no motive, that does not rule him out as a suspect. People commit crimes with no motive.

It makes me wonder how much circumstantial evidence is required to convict someone. If you say you took someone from point A to point B, witnesses show she was a point A but never at point B, and she disappears, and you have no explanation, it seems like there is probable cause to suspect you were involved in a crime. Maybe it takes a little more evidence to rise to the level of "beyond reasonable doubt".
Oh my gosh. I am in New Orleans and so I loooove the First 48 New Orleans episodes. One of the things that shocks me most is HOW much evidence they have and they KNOW who the killer is but they still need more to arrest them. The DA requires an insane amount of evidence before they will agree to bring it to a judge. It's truly crazy. I spent my whole life doing the right thing, partially because I was always told you would go to jail. Now, I think I am realizing that it's actually hard to go to jail. And it's scary.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We just don't know what we don't know.
I seem to say that a lot...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member