VA VA - Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield, 15 Jan 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well she could have gone down to the river to meet someone from one of the other plants/companies in the area, maybe this was going to be prearranged meeting that only she and the other person knew about. There has to be more to this story..........someone knows more, surely Kelly had friends she talked to.

I can't even believe the police said suicide based on questions of beliefs, religion, baptism. I guess that would make most of us suicidal at some point in our lives.........I would also be looking around at who she may have been talking to about these things, someone new in her life a preacher friend maybe.

Well she could have gone down to the river to meet someone from one of the other plants/companies in the area, maybe this was going to be prearranged meeting that only she and the other person knew about. There has to be more to this story..........someone knows more, surely Kelly had friends she talked to.

I think it is totally possible she went to meet someone, but I wouldn't think it was prearranged - because if she was making arrangements, wouldn't she have set the time for a regular break time? Or if she didn't set the time for a regular break time because she generally met with her coworkers on break, then I think when she left her work station she would have wanted to appear nonchalant - like she was just doing a normal thing, kwim? It seems odd that she "ran from the building." Why would she do that?

Does anyone know if she had a food allergies? Or if she was eating anything right around the time she ran from the building?

I ask because once I had a very strange reaction to strawberries. I can barely explain what happened, but my mind started wigging out - if my husband wouldn't have been there, I don't know what might have happened? Turned out to be an allergy. I had eaten strawberries all my life without any problem. Now I wouldn't touch them for a million bucks. I only bring this up because of the oddness of the way Kelly left the building. Maybe she was having a reaction to something and just needed air?

Puzzling.

Salem

i think it is totally possible she went to meet someone, but i wouldn't think it was prearranged - because if she was making arrangements, wouldn't she have set the time for a regular break time? Or if she didn't set the time for a regular break time because she generally met with her coworkers on break, then i think when she left her work station she would have wanted to appear nonchalant - like she was just doing a normal thing, kwim? It seems odd that she "ran from the building." why would she do that?

Does anyone know if she had a food allergies? Or if she was eating anything right around the time she ran from the building?

I ask because once i had a very strange reaction to strawberries. I can barely explain what happened, but my mind started wigging out - if my husband wouldn't have been there, i don't know what might have happened? Turned out to be an allergy. I had eaten strawberries all my life without any problem. Now i wouldn't touch them for a million bucks. I only bring this up because of the oddness of the way kelly left the building. Maybe she was having a reaction to something and just needed air?

Puzzling.

Salem

no food allergies!!

Was she in a relationship? Recently broke off a relationship? Just met someone new?

It is said she left her machine running....and ran from the building.....something caused her to do that. Was she dating someone from work?

Kelly Catalano was last seen around 10:00 am Friday. Family members say her time card wasn't punched, her car was left in the parking lot at work, and her next door neighbor says things were far from normal at her Chester home.

Johnston says, "The front and back doors had both been left open and that's not like Kelly, she's always careful."

She adds, "I'm terrified for her, I love Kelly, but I am really frightened for her."

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-missing-women011510,0,2397138.story

What do you think the bolded statement means? That the doors were actually open or were they just unlocked? It sounds like they were actually standing open?

Salem

Honestly,for her to be working there that long,responsible and leave her machine on,sounds like she was upset and ran to meet someone.She's not married,has no children,neighbors saw noone at her house new?Maybe he came at night.I think possibly a man she had to see without anyone knowing.Maybe he was breaking it off and she ran to meet with him upset.

I would interview every person in that area of her job.Maybe this man had been watching her before,copied her keys and was a stalker,worked his way into her life.If something happened,he hurried into her house to get anything that belonged to him before LE searched it.JMO On 1/2/10 her myspace says adventurous,a relative said she was so happy,I'm just wondering if there was a man in her life really.

While anything is possible, of course, this would be one strange suicide. I can't think of any case of suicide I've ever heard of where someone shows up to work, just runs out of the building toward a river. If she committed suicide, then she would have to have jumped in the river otherwise where is her body?

Also it is a strange method of suicide as the river does not look particularly deep. I guess at this time of the year, she would probably die from hypothermia as opposed to drowning, but that is still an odd way to go.

Unless Kelly just snapped, I too would tend to think she got a phone call that caused her to react. The caller could have reached her at the office as opposed to calling her cell. That would be more difficult to trace being an incoming call to a business. Then again, if a co-worker had swiped and copied her keys, it could have been an internal call or someone walking by her workstation. But what was the substance of the conversation?

While there is not enough information out there on who might have been rummaging through her home or why, it is possible that she had some secret of some sort that someone discovered when going through her stuff. This secret did not have to be anything illegal, just highly personal. Upon discovering that someone else knew this, she may have flipped, but I still doubt she jumped in the river.

While anything is possible, of course, this would be one strange suicide. I can't think of any case of suicide I've ever heard of where someone shows up to work, just runs out of the building toward a river. If she committed suicide, then she would have to have jumped in the river otherwise where is her body?

Also it is a strange method of suicide as the river does not look particularly deep. I guess at this time of the year, she would probably die from hypothermia as opposed to drowning, but that is still an odd way to go.

Unless Kelly just snapped, I too would tend to think she got a phone call that caused her to react. The caller could have reached her at the office as opposed to calling her cell. That would be more difficult to trace being an incoming call to a business. Then again, if a co-worker had swiped and copied her keys, it could have been an internal call or someone walking by her workstation. But what was the substance of the conversation?

While there is not enough information out there on who might have been rummaging through her home or why, it is possible that she had some secret of some sort that someone discovered when going through her stuff. This secret did not have to be anything illegal, just highly personal. Upon discovering that someone else knew this, she may have flipped, but I still doubt she jumped in the river.
Webrocket...

ITA...suicide just does not seem viable in this case. Kelly sounds to be a very stable, happy, well-adjusted person from all accounts. Of course, we all have our own secrets, this is true and could have something to do with her disappearance.

It just does not sound like her (from what we have been told so far) to go to work, become overwrought emotionally over something (phone call, conversation, etc.) and then "run for the river" to end it all. I find it hard to believe that she would commit suicide at work expecting that her coworkers would be the ones to find her body. I totally doubt anyone of her nature would allow that to happen. It just doesn't fit. With the info we have so far I highly doubt that is what happened.

I agree that she was somehow lured out of the building....after that I have no idea.

This really bothers me - she seems like a sweet, kind loving person.....am hoping she is found soon.

Who expects to go to work and just disappear from there? That's just the strange part and I don't buy that she willingly "took off" or decided out of the blue to "end it all".

Hi all, I've been following Kelly's thread but haven't posted until now. Like all of you, my heart goes out to Kelly's family and friends, and I'm sincerely hoping she is found alive and unharmed.

So from the information provided by Curious, if true, at around 10:15am, about an hour after her first break, Kelly suddenly took off running out the doors of the building and down to the river, even leaving her machine running. 'Leaving the machine running' indicates to me that prior to suddenly taking off, she was at her machine working as she normally does, and no one has reported that she was exhibiting any bizarre or unusual behaviors immediately prior.

If this is indeed the case, it seems to reason that right before taking off, Kelly received some sort of information from somebody/something that provoked her into quickly leaving her work station and rushing down to the river. The only three ways this information could have been conveyed, IMO, is through either a cell phone call/text message, verbally through face-to-face contact with someone (a co-worker or boss) or that she suddenly remembered/thought of something urgent.

Can any of these be eliminated? I believe I remember reading her cell phone records were checked by LE, and that nothing of consequence was found; this may or may not be true - however it stands to reason that if a phone call or text was received or made around the 10:15am the person with whom she was communicating could easily be determined. As far as face-to-face contact with someone, did Kelly work in an area where she was surrounded by or in view of others? If someone were talking to Kelly immediately prior to her taking off, would her co-workers be in a position to notice, i.e., nearby? Or did she work in an isolated spot where someone could have come up and talked to her or said something to her and her co-workers may not have necessarily noticed? The third option, that she suddenly remembered or thought of something that made her feel that she needed to run down to the river, is the most unlikely IMO, yet it may be the case if the first two can be definitively eliminated. Regardless, however, does anyone have any ideas on what could have possibly made her take off like that? I'm still coming up with theories as far as that goes.

Kelly was a welder, I'm not sure what "leaving her machine running" involves, but that doesn't sound right to me.....IMO

I can't even believe the police said suicide based on questions of beliefs, religion, baptism. I guess the would make most of use suicidal at some point in our lives.........I would also be looking around at who she may have been talking to about these things, someone new in her life a preacher friend maybe.

the news here says the police found a journal with writings and that 2 off her co-workers admitted she asked a couple strange questions like what happens when you die and do you need to be baptised to go to heaven, IMO, this was not the type of conversations she had with her fellow workers, family, maybe, but not workers...just some guessing here....and i hate to guess but that hasnt stopped me from praying...

I know it's already been posted, but it hasn't been discussed much.

Police: No evidence to suggest foul play in missing Chesterfield woman case
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 11:14 PM EST Updated: Jan 21, 2010 11:19 PM EST

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) – We've uncovered new information in the case of a missing Chesterfield woman. Kelly Catalano disappeared from work almost a week ago. Police told us they haven't uncovered any evidence to suggest foul play is involved. Police said Kelly Catalano's recent conversations lead them to believe she was considering the end of her life. Kelly's family, however, said "there's absolutely no way she committed suicide."

Important points made in the article:

- Thursday, Chesterfield Police told us they've been looking into Catalano's recent discussions and writing.

-Capt. Terry Patterson said they uncovered, "…questions about religion and what happens after you die, questions about baptism and things of that nature."

-For the last couple weeks, Catalano and two of her coworkers would walk along Innovation Drive near the factory around 11:30am every day. The morning of her disappearance Kelly told those two men she would join them. When they paged her to say they were heading out, she never responded.

Was she generally a religious person or was this a new-found thing?

Have the two men she usually walks with been looked at?

They say no evidence of foul play... but is there usually evidence? So many times when it's been pretty much determined foul play is involved there is no evidence (like in the situation of a child).

I'll certainly think twice from this point forward about discussion or writings concerning my own mortality, just in case I turn up missing. Realistically, I turned forty less than a month ago, and I'm not going to live forever. When you get older you begin to realize that there are things that need to be dealt with in the event your time on this earth is cut short and that you're not going to live forever like you once believed. It brings about thoughts of your own religion and curiosity about "the end." I too have been known to discuss what happens when you die, heaven, and even suicide, but certainly not as a personal choice for bringing about the end. I think in light of what's being presented as a possibilty here, my worst fear would be that people would actually believe that I flung myself into a river. Of course, that's just me, but I am very close to Kelly's age and these things just recently hit me....and so did a new love. I was a basket case at first and yes, I too left home and left the house wide open one day...literally.

Kelly's behavior could be called bizarre. The doors that I believe were left unlocked. I don't think they were left wide open UNLESS perhaps the knob lock didn't catch behind her and she was running late? Taking off in the middle of a shift. It could all point in the direction of something we touched on yesterday. When you do these things and you're in love, people accept it as "the norm." You just don't normally disappear.

Maybe, just maybe, Kelly is in love? Maybe she absent mindedly FORGOT to lock the doors? Maybe she was so concerned recently with her own mortality because she was in love, and the possibility of having that time cut short scared her? Love and a new romance makes you do crazy things sometimes, right?

Let's not forget that running is a normal part of Kelly's life, so to see her running may not shock those close to her. Yes, in work boots. I wear 6" Timberlands 90% of the time and yes, I do run in them quite well if necessary. She would be likely to run I would think, if she were in a hurry to get outside and subsequently get back in to her work station without possibly being reprimanded.

I have read stories of adults and small children who disappear, seemingly from crowded cities and streets in broad daylight. I lean toward the possibility that this "walk" or meeting was pre-arranged with someone, that no one is aware of. Unless someone inside the building gave her the old nod or the "come here" finger to meet them ouside OR she could see outside and saw them. I shy away from Kelly receiving a call or a text message. It's been my experience in factory work that the cell phone is left off during work hours as per company policy, and if it were off when she went running out the door, and something happened almost immediately, then the phone remaining off would stand to reason. She wouldn't have cut it on unless she intended to use it, right?

I have the strange feeling that what we're going to find, is that Kelly did nothing more than trust the wrong person. I just don't believe that she flung herself into the river, spontaneuosly decided to end her own life, or that she's out there in the woods surrounding Blueprint......much less by choice.

Could she have fallen in accidently or been pushed? Absolutely...but if so, WHERE IS SHE???

and that's MY opinion

This may sound a bit random, but did Kelly have a pet? If I recall correctly, one of her nieces made the comment that her "car" was her baby...but when I read that, I couldn't help but wonder if they might've meant to type "cat." The reason I'm going there is because if there was a potential stalker or person entering her place in her absence, they would've had access to a pet. Taking or threatening her with her pet somehow could have led to her racing out of her workplace at an odd time and leaving a machine running, or so I'd imagine. But in this case, I would think there'd been some kind of text or media/photo message received just shortly beforehand that would've explained it, unless somehow someone communicated with her privately (see some of Mia's questions in her post above), or perhaps clues had been dropped or evidence seen during her earlier break/walk that she suddenly pieced together and panicked for the safety of her pet?

Like Salem, I have also wondered if the doors to her place were literally standing open, or were just found unlocked.

If she did have a pet, has the pet been accounted for?

This may sound a bit random, but did Kelly have a pet? If I recall correctly, one of her nieces made the comment that her "car" was her baby...but when I read that, I couldn't help but wonder if they might've meant to type "cat." The reason I'm going there is because if there was a potential stalker or person entering her place in her absence, they would've had access to a pet. Taking or threatening her with her pet somehow could have led to her racing out of her workplace at an odd time and leaving a machine running, or so I'd imagine. But in this case, I would think there'd been some kind of text or media/photo message received just shortly beforehand that would've explained it, unless somehow someone communicated with her privately (see some of Mia's questions in her post above), or perhaps clues had been dropped or evidence seen during her earlier break/walk that she suddenly pieced together and panicked for the safety of her pet?

Like Salem, I have also wondered if the doors to her place were literally standing open, or were just found unlocked.

If she did have a pet, has the pet been accounted for?

I read on WTVR's link to the Topix forum, in a comment, that a neighbor said Kelly had a cat and that said neighbor was now feeding this poor creature until it's Mommy (Kelly) comes home.

Could she have fallen in accidently or been pushed? Absolutely...but if so, WHERE IS SHE???

and that's MY opinion

Most of the people who fall into rivers do so late at night when intoxicated. Neither applies here plus she has been by there countless times so I don't think she fell into the river at all.

Could she have been pushed? Absolutely. Could she have jumped? Yes but not likely.

Have the two men she usually walks with been looked at?
(snipped for space)

I find myself wondering the same thing.

Did I read that they'd just begun talking these walks fairly recently?

And were these by chance the same couple of co-workers who reported her asking questions about religion, death, baptism, etc?

Is this LE team really THAT thick??? Been searching for days around the area...Kelly has not been found. LE bases their opinion on some writings? So if Kelly ended it all, where is her body? It's not like she hid herself after she killed herself.

I think the family needs to hire a PI if they haven't already done so.

I read on WTVR's link to the Topix forum, in a comment, that a neighbor said Kelly had a cat and that said neighbor was now feeding this poor creature until it's Mommy (Kelly) comes home.

Thanks for answering that. I'm glad to know that her cat is alive and well, assuming that person's comment was valid! Poor kitty, Kelly & loved ones.

If the cat is fine, the potential for it to have been used to panic her in some way seems quite a bit less likely, although I guess a potential stalker could've simply threatened her with its safety, but not actually taken or harmed it.

There are some other interesting ideas proposed above which may make more sense than this theory, but I've been trying to think of anything else that might explain the situation surrounding her disappearance, and this was one idea that I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste