VA VA - Mamta Kafle Bhatt, 28, mom & pediatric nurse, 'involuntary missing,' husband reported her missing Aug 5, Manassas Park, 31 July 2024 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The defense is downplaying the blood evidence. There was pooling and splatter, and somewhere there's an article that states the bed was moved to cover a bloodstain. I'll see if I can find it. MOO
^^rsbm

Last I read, they don't have DNA on the blood evidence yet! So bizarre investigators still can't/won't confirm if the pools of blood found in the house belong to the victim.

SEP 18, 2024
The suspect was denied bond in late August but in a new motion filed Wednesday, his defense attorney argues the case has a "lack of probable cause" and assertions by law enforcement about Bhatt’s involvement in his wife’s disappearance are "riddled with inconsistencies".

Bhatt’s attorney specifically pointed to the Commonwealth’s claim that Bhatt did not want to file a missing person’s report during an August 2 welfare check ...

(more at the link)

Yes, but unless I am misreading your post, none of that explains the discrepancy in what the defense says as opposed to what prosecution says. In fact, it only heightens it. How can defense say the blood found is what could be found in any typical home, if they've heard what we've heard about what investigators found? You say the defense is downplaying the blood evidence. Aren't they LYING about the blood evidence? I thought attorneys weren't allowed to lie. Oh, wait, that only applies in court, I guess?

OK, well, then there's your explanation, imo, gitana1 (who originally posed these questions). But since OP is a lawyer him or herself, you already knew this. So do you find it unethical for his defense attorney to be saying this to the media? Or is this pretty much par for the course (it may be both as well). But since you posed the question, it seems like you might find it surprising?

ETA sorry, I know I've combined my replies to both pommymommy and gitana1 into this one reply, so hope it's not confusing. Also, I know there's a way to tag, if that's the correct term, another user's name within a post, so that they will see it, but I don't know how to do that. Or I would. :-)
No need to apologize. Your reply was not confusing at all, and hopefully @gitana1 will weigh in.

To tag someone, just type the @ symbol and the name of the member you want to tag. A pop-up will appear and you can select who you want. :)

MOO

^^rsbm

Last I read, they don't have DNA on the blood evidence yet! So bizarre investigators still can't/won't confirm if the pools of blood found in the house belong to the victim.

How can they confirm who "the pools of blood" belong to when "they don't have DNA on the blood evidence yet?"

Seems my post was unclear for OP -- let me try again:

The irony here is that the husband was arrested three weeks ago after evidence of 'pools of blood' -- not a miniscule spec, was presented in court, and said blood evidence has still not been confirmed as testing positive for the victim MKB.

FBI and local LE have been using Rapid DNA testing on sight for several years -- hence the words "can't/won't" in my quoted post. MOO

8/23/24 -- Blood, passports, cleaning supplies: Missing Virginia mom's husband faces chilling allegations

The defense is downplaying the blood evidence. There was pooling and splatter, and somewhere there's an article that states the bed was moved to cover a bloodstain. I'll see if I can find it. MOO

A few photos here:

Police found evidence that a body had been dragged, and large amounts of blood were evident at the home of Mamta Kafle Bhatt, according to court documents from her husband's arraignment Friday morning.

Investigators say they found the Bhatt home in disarray, with evidence of blood mainly in the primary bedroom and corresponding bathroom.

ETA:

After completing their search warrant, investigators found what appeared to be blood pooling and blood splatter in the home’s main bedroom; the bed appeared to be moved, blocking a closet; light pink stains were found on bedroom carpeting after the bed was removed; and pools of blood were found in the bathroom “as if something was dragged across the floor,” along with blood pooling on the shower floor, WJLA reported from Friday’s arraignment.

When investigators removed the bathtub, they saw what they believed to be blood in the caulking of the bathtub, WJLA reported.
It’s so bizarre to me when defense attorneys make outrageous statements like one pretending that a huge amount of evidence doesn’t exist. For some reason, they must think this tactic works on a potential jury pool because they do it so often.

To me, making nonsensical, outlandish statements you know aren’t true would ruin your credibility so that nothing you said could be trusted. But apparently people fall for it.

Yes, but unless I am misreading your post, none of that explains the discrepancy in what the defense says as opposed to what prosecution says. In fact, it only heightens it. How can defense say the blood found is what could be found in any typical home, if they've heard what we've heard about what investigators found? You say the defense is downplaying the blood evidence. Aren't they LYING about the blood evidence? I thought attorneys weren't allowed to lie. Oh, wait, that only applies in court, I guess?

OK, well, then there's your explanation, imo, gitana1 (who originally posed these questions). But since OP is a lawyer him or herself, you already knew this. So do you find it unethical for his defense attorney to be saying this to the media? Or is this pretty much par for the course (it may be both as well). But since you posed the question, it seems like you might find it surprising?

ETA sorry, I know I've combined my replies to both pommymommy and gitana1 into this one reply, so hope it's not confusing. Also, I know there's a way to tag, if that's the correct term, another user's name within a post, so that they will see it, but I don't know how to do that. Or I would. :-)
Yes I find it unethical and I agree it’s straight lying. I don’t get how a professional can lie like that with a straight face.

SEP 19, 2024
  • In the bond motion NB’s lawyer says a detective made a “false statement” that prosecutors used to obtain an arrest warrant.
  • In the criminal complaint, a detective said they found evidence a body was dragged out of the home.
  • The detective later clarified they only found a body was dragged from one room to another in the house.
  • In court records, a Manassas Park officer said the detective admitted “she may have used the wrong words.”
  • The officer said the detective worked for more than 30 hours straight and had no malicious intent.
  • The defense says prosecutors improperly waited until Sept. 16 to tell them about the captain’s statement.
  • NB’s lawyer also sought to cast doubt on the blood detection system LE used inside the home, and whether it was NB who conducted internet searches on remarrying after a spouse’s death.
  • Prosecutors say they have ample evidence of blood, missing knives and a cleaning supply purchase ...
  • A judge is expected to consider NB’s request for bond Friday afternoon.

Updated Fri, September 20th 2024 at 6:40 AM
This will be Naresh's second bond hearing. Back on Aug. 26, a judge agreed with prosecutors that Naresh was a flight risk based on information revealed in the courtroom.

The second court hearing is expected to address whether Bhatt still poses a flight risk or threat to the community.

HAPPENING @ 12:30P, the attorney for the Manassas Park husband accused of concealing his wife’s dead body will argue for Naresh Bhatt to be released.Mamta Kafle Bhatt’s supporters sent me this statement calling for him to be held & for stronger charges.
I agree, they should indict him on murder charges immediately because her supporters want it.

Just kidding, that’s insane. All that matters is that he remains behind bars until that time comes.

In the argument for Naresh Bhatt to receive bond, the defense will call out police over what they call a flawed and inconsistent investigation. They’re criticizing the Commonwealth for withholding this letter which said the detective made inaccurate statements. @wusa9
View attachment 532510
lol. Nice try. I was annoyed that the dragged out of the house thing wasn’t supported by any evidence, but it doesn’t change anything. Whether he dragged her from the house, carried her from the house, or magically levitated her body from the house, he still removed her from the house.

Mistakes get made, especially after 30 hours without sleep. I’m sure there are bigger mistakes here than that, which is nothing.

Pretty much every case I’ve followed has had some absolutely massive ones, and it hasn’t changed anything.

SEP 20, 2024
  • Matthew Torres was in the courtroom today and says it was tense, and there were so many supporters there for Mamta that some of them couldn't get in and had to wait outside.
  • New evidence as to what went on before the welfare check.
  • Days before, NB went to different dump sites and removed bags from his Tesla, and was seen on camera.
  • At times, he was wearing gloves or napkins while removing the bags.
  • At one point, he was seen in Loudon County removing bags from his car and putting them into a clothing donation box. It turns out, they were bathmats with blood splatter on them.
  • During LE's search of the house, a cadaver dog hit on the bedroom and bathroom.
  • There was a streak mark going to the bedroom to the bathroom, and congealed blood in the bathtub.
  • Forensic testing is still not in to prove the blood is Mamta's.
  • The defense argued that there is no body and blood alone is not enough to prove NB was concealing a body.

Last edited:
SEP 20, 2024
The prosecution gave a timeline of events surrounding her disappearance, describing pools of blood and spatter visible through BLUESTAR technology in the couple's master bedroom and bathroom, saying the amount of blood detected comes from injuries that wouldn’t be survivable. The prosecution stated that BLUESTAR technology detects the most diluted blood samples.
  • Prosecutors revealed that a K9 cadaver dog detected a dead body in the master bedroom and bathroom.
  • NB was seen on surveillance video dropping several bags at dumpsters throughout the area.
  • Mamta's phone was last pinged in Loudoun County.
The hearing lasted 2 and a 1/2 hours.
  • Body cam videos from officer interactions were played.
  • NB was allegedly spotted in Loudoun Co. with garbage bags, sometimes using towels or napkins to dispose of the bags.
  • He also disposed of a bathroom mat in a clothing donation bin, which will be tested for blood.

Last edited:
SEP 20, 2024
  • One of the places NB was seen on camera disposing trash bags was an apartment complex where he would take his daughter to a babysitter. Another was a trash compactor in Falls Church.
  • They also have video of NB buying rubberized gloves, knives, extra-large storage bags and cleaning supplies after Mamta disappeared.
  • NB searched the internet for a diagram of a brain and “chicken farm near me,” prosecutors said.

SEP 20, 2024
  • One of the places NB was seen on camera disposing trash bags was an apartment complex where he would take his daughter to a babysitter. Another was a trash compactor in Falls Church.
  • They also have video of NB buying rubberized gloves, knives, extra-large storage bags and cleaning supplies after Mamta disappeared.
  • NB searched the internet for a diagram of a brain and “chicken farm near me,” prosecutors said.
Yeah, I'm convinced he dismembered her body in the bathtub (remember those knives he purchased), placed it into trash bags, and distributed it in various dumpsters. Unfortunately, that trash would be long gone, and landfill searches would be insanely difficult. I think this is going to be a no-body murder case, which will be as close to a slam dunk as you can get for a case like that.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
culley2821
Back