VA VA - Mamta Kafle Bhatt, 28, mom & pediatric nurse, 'involuntary missing,' husband reported her missing Aug 5, Manassas Park, 31 July 2024 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AUG 30, 2024
News4 obtained search warrant documents revealing new details.
  • LE filed a search warrant to get a DNA sample from Naresh Bhatt.
  • Regarding Mamta's phone - on July 29, there were numerous calls with her husband. After that, all calls went to voicemail.
  • Naresh told LE his wife destroyed her phone before July 31.
  • But on Aug. 1, her phone was pinging in the Aldie area of Northern VA.
  • Naresh told LE he was at a cafe there.
  • The warrant shows LE is also trying to learn more about a ride Mamta received the night of July 27.
  • They write she was sitting outside the hospital where she worked with a friend. She ordered and then canceled an Uber ride.
  • “Cameras … showed Ms. Kafle … entering an unknown black four-door sedan driven by an unknown subject at 10:17pm.”'

Last edited:
Perhaps. If he married again to someone in Nepal would he get the $ of a dowry? The house and car were listed as being several thousand per month, doubt a basement rental and PT nurse salary covered it. He seemed unable to hold a job long term since leaving the Army. MOOO.

for sure had his eye on that prize!

From the quoted link dated 8/30/24:

Manassas Park police Chief Mario Lugo said investigators developed information that led them to the area Friday evening.

"Item(s) that have been collected are being processed to determine if they are connected to this investigation," Lugo said in an email.

Police have closed the park on Signal View Drive in Manassas Park, which is less than two miles from Naresh and Mamta Bhatt's home in Blooms Crossing.

Amenities: Athletic fields, Benches, Grills, Picnic tables, Playground, Walking Trails, Pavilion, Waterpark

DSC_0072

DSC_0238-scaled

DSC_0243-scaled

DSC_0252-scaled

Last edited:
#BREAKING Manassas Park Police have closed down Signal Hill Park to conduct a search in connection with the Mamta Kafle Bhatt case. Were told investigators got information that led them here, and have collected items here they are processing to see if they’re related to the case.

#Breaking Manassas Park Police have shut down Signal Hill Park to search for Mamta Kafle Bhatt. The park was shut down at 1pm. Police remain on the scene. #ManassasParkPolice

AUG 30, 2024

Update​

In a statement to InsideNoVa outside the Manassas Park police station around 8:20 p.m., Holly Wirth, a friend and former coworker of Mamta Kafle Bhatt, had this to say:

“I did speak to one of the detectives, Mr. Loving. He did want me to assure you that they are investigating this to the fullest extent. They did do a search, as we saw, at Signal Hill Park. That search has now ended. They have released the park back to the public. They are hopeful that they have collected some evidence, but it’s going to take time to process, and so please trust the fact that they are working on this case day and night. We trust the process, but we do know that any time evidence is collected, it has to go then [to be] analyzed for forensic. So nothing determined tonight, but I do feel confident to say that they are going places. They’re being led to places, and this will likely be fruitful and more to come when they can share more."

Investigators focus on Mamta's phone, canceled Uber ride​

A detective wrote that on July 29 – the last day friends heard from Mamta Kafle Bhatt – there were numerous calls with her husband. After that, all calls went to voicemail.

But on Aug. 1, her phone was pinging in the Aldie area of Northern Virginia.

Naresh Bhatt told police he was at a cafe there.

The search warrant shows investigators are also trying to learn more about a ride Mamta Kafle Bhatt received the night of July 27. They write she was sitting outside the hospital where she worked with a friend. She ordered and then canceled an Uber ride.

They wrote: “Cameras … showed Ms. Kafle … entering an unknown black four-door sedan driven by an unknown subject at 10:17pm.”'

In new court documents 7News acquired on Thursday afternoon, three evidence pictures show what appears to be blood stains inside the couple's home. One of the pictures highlights a stained carpet of a room.

Those court documents also define how the prosecutors hoped to proceed with the case against Naresh Bhatt, without Mamta's body.

Evidence photos in Narsh Bhatt's court documents show what appears to be blood stains. Naresh is accused of killing his wife Mamta Kafle Bhatt (Credit: Prince William County Circuit Court).

Evidence photos in Narsh Bhatt's court documents show what appears to be blood stains. Naresh is accused of killing his wife Mamta Kafle Bhatt (Credit: Prince William County Circuit Court).

AUG 30, 2024
  • The search lasted nearly three hours.
  • Officers and rescue teams scoured wooded areas and fields on foot.
  • Chief Lugo said detectives received information that led them to the park.
  • The park is located about a mile from Mamta's home.
  • Detectives are processing items collected during the search to determine if they are connected to Mamta's disappearance.

Perhaps. If he married again to someone in Nepal would he get the $ of a dowry? The house and car were listed as being several thousand per month, doubt a basement rental and PT nurse salary covered it. He seemed unable to hold a job long term since leaving the Army. MOOO.
I think his best hope of remarrying would have been with a woman from a less traditional family. I would assume a family who still adhered to the custom of dowry would also be hesitant to accept a man who had already been married as a potential son-in-law. And that’s before taking into account the fact that the previous marriage ended under suspicious circumstances — I think some of the links shared here have been from newspapers local to Nepal, so this story has probably made it over there.

I think his best hope of remarrying would have been with a woman from a less traditional family. I would assume a family who still adhered to the custom of dowry would also be hesitant to accept a man who had already been married as a potential son-in-law. And that’s before taking into account the fact that the previous marriage ended under suspicious circumstances — I think some of the links shared here have been from newspapers local to Nepal, so this story has probably made it over there.

Only do you think he could be of interest to anyone? If you remove all ethnic details, Nepali, traditions and everything, and look at the expression of his face, what do you see? Plus, JMO, he was probably interested in younger women.

Culturally, a divorced man isn't exactly prized in South Asian culture. They're considered to be bad luck and a disgrace. A lot of men will hide they've been divorced or had marital issues, because a lot of more traditional families will refuse to marry off their daughters to a divorced man. Remember, South Asians are the least likely to divorce in the entire world, even lower than the Middle East. I think the divorce rate is 1%-2%. With that being said, a divorced woman is also considered bad luck and would face difficulties getting remarried as well. I suspect Mamta felt that she had a good support system in the States (her friends are great people) which gave her the motivation to pursue potential divorce. I also suspect after gaining citizenship, she'd apply for and sponsor her family to come over eventually.

At least in my family's part of South Asia, the female to male ratio is abysmal. I think it's like 875 females per 1,000 males? In the early 1900s it used to be less than 800. Women do have a lot of choices these days in South Asia, at least when it comes to arranged marriages. Arranged marriages aren't like what they used to be a couple decades ago where you're forced to marry someone you've never seen, it's more like "okay, my family recommended someone, I'll meet up with him and his family a couple times and see if I like him or not". Still not so great because I think the best way to actually know someone is to live with them for quite some time, however living with someone before marriage (that isn't part of your immediate family) is still severely frowned upon in South Asia.

The arranged marriage dynamic in South Asia is quite interesting. It's said that you don't just marry a person, you marry their entire family. I read an article that Mamta was having trouble with her in-laws and apparently her MIL wasn't fond of her? Honestly, this is extremely common in many cultures, but it's extremely bad in South Asian culture because it's supposed to be the daughter in law's duty to "appease" the elders. South Asian mothers dote on their sons to an extreme extent, and are willing to excuse certain things that they'd never excuse for their daughters (this doesn't apply to all families of course, but will apply to the majority IMO). When a son gets married, the new daughter in law will face excessive scrutiny and anything minor will be criticized (sometimes the DIL doesn't do anything wrong at all, but gets criticized anyway). Here's a great journal that expands upon the MIL and DIL dynamic in South Asia: Violence Perpetrated by Mothers-in-Law in Northern India: Perceived Frequency, Acceptability, and Options for Survivors - PubMed . Here's another article that elaborates upon the South Asian preference for sons and how women are viewed less than: 5X Fest | How son preference in the South Asian community contributes to the cycle of abuse and violence

I mention the MIL - son, DIL - husband angle because it's well documented and known that in South Asian households many men will give preference to their mother over their wives. So, when there's trouble brewing between the MIL and DIL, it's really, really bad news because at times the husband will also turn against his wife. I'm not sure if this dynamic was happening in the Bhatt household, but wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Feel like Bhatt was probably going to cook up the story that his "wife ran away" and paint Mamta to be the bad one. Either that or pretend he was never married in the first place. He probably understood what was coming (divorce) and wanted to get rid of Mamta before it could actually go to court. I suspect he was planning to return to Nepal and start a new life there, maybe hoodwink a poor and oblivious woman from a village. I'm actually shocked he didn't take Mamta on a "family trip" or "holiday" back to the homeland/Nepal and murder her there. This is usually the modus operandi of murderous South Asian households. They will take the person they want to get rid off back to South Asia, either hire someone to get rid of them or get rid of them themselves, and then return back to the west. By doing this, it's waaay harder for them to be convicted for a crime or for LE to even bother becoming suspicious sadly...

Honestly, overall, Bhatt was just a dumb dude in general. It's clear he was let go from many jobs because he flat out sucked. He isn't some genius conniving murderous mastermind, everything he did was quite poorly planned and literally everyone suspected him from the start. Hope he rots in prison.

Only do you think he could be of interest to anyone? If you remove all ethnic details, Nepali, traditions and everything, and look at the expression of his face, what do you see? Plus, JMO, he was probably interested in younger women.
I had the impression, he had already someone for his next marriage. So he was "of interest" to someone, it seems. ;) Maybe, he tried (again) to use a woman, who in turn tried to use him (residence permit comes to mind). MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member