VA VA - Mamta Kafle Bhatt, 28, mom & pediatric nurse, 'involuntary missing,' husband reported her missing Aug 5, Manassas Park, 31 July 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

8/28/24

Updated Wed, August 28th 2024 at 5:52 PM

MANASSAS PARK, Va. (7News) — The mother and brother of missing Manassas Park woman Mamta Kafle Bhatt, 28, have arrived from Nepal after getting an emergency visa, and are reunited with Bhatt's 1-year-old daughter, according to the family's immigration lawyer.

Mamta has been missing since last month, and police officials said she is presumed dead after arresting her husband and charging him with Prohibition Against Concealment of a Dead Body.

ETA: I believe the news 7 link above is blocked on WS because it cites the crowd raising money but you can copy the link to your browser to read/listen to the video.

I can only imagine how bittersweet this is for her family. It is likely they have never held this young babe. But in order to hold her, they have to accept that her mother has been hideously murdered by a man who won't disclose where she is. I am thankful they are here but this young babe doesn't really know them and she must be confused/terrified. I hate the selfishness of this man who destroyed his wife and daughter as well as everyone they touched.

AUG 28, 2O24
Dahal said Bhatt's family members arrived Tuesday and provided the following statement:

We would like to let everyone know that Mamta’s mom and brother has been reunited with Mini Mamta. We request community and media to give them privacy. They will speak up when they feel comfortable. We will not be disclosing their location at this time. They are dealing with unimaginable pain so please be kind to them.

Dahal said one of Bhatt's friends still has custody of the baby at the moment. One of Mamta's friends has set up a [fundraiser] for the child.

8/28/24

Updated Wed, August 28th 2024 at 5:52 PM

MANASSAS PARK, Va. (7News) — The mother and brother of missing Manassas Park woman Mamta Kafle Bhatt, 28, have arrived from Nepal after getting an emergency visa, and are reunited with Bhatt's 1-year-old daughter, according to the family's immigration lawyer.

Mamta has been missing since last month, and police officials said she is presumed dead after arresting her husband and charging him with Prohibition Against Concealment of a Dead Body.

ETA: I believe the news 7 link above is blocked on WS because it cites the crowd raising money but you can copy the link to your browser to read/listen to the video.

still doesn't work
thanks anyway

AUG 28, 2024
[...]

During a bond hearing this week, prosecutors briefly mentioned that Mamta may have been a victim of domestic violence.

[...]

Prosecutors working on Kafle’s case revealed that she had reached out for help on social media, including Facebook. ...

[...]

"It takes seven to eight times before a victim leaves their home and their abuser, unfortunately. And by the time they are ready to leave, that is the most dangerous time," said Elisa Castillo, director of domestic violence services with ACTS (Action in Community Through Service).

[...]

I can only imagine how bittersweet this is for her family. It is likely they have never held this young babe. But in order to hold her, they have to accept that her mother has been hideously murdered by a man who won't disclose where she is. I am thankful they are here but this young babe doesn't really know them and she must be confused/terrified. I hate the selfishness of this man who destroyed his wife and daughter as well as everyone they touched.
there was a 3 yr old in my neighborhood today having a melt down over wanting his mommy- his father was carrying him and he is usually a pretty smiley child ... a few minutes later his mom arrived and he was fine. I cannot imagine how much this baby is missing mom. maybe she will forget after awhile and re-attach to some other family members but this has to be torture IMO

They have likely seen the baby via video call and interacted and started a relationship. Mamta called her mom daily. MOO. But yes, not the same as holding the baby all the time.

I feel so sorry for her family to have lost their wonderful daughter and for the baby to have lost her mom. Bittersweet indeed.

AUG 28, 2024
[...]

"Child Protective Services has done phenomenal work by making sure the baby is protected. They have done the background check and whoever is taking care of the baby is in a situation to do so. They have a very warm loving beautiful house and family and they have watched the baby before as well and the baby is familiar with them," Sharma-Dahal.

[...]

"Although a parent's love can not be replaced and the baby is still in a very vulnerable phase. She is surrounded by people who love her kindly and genuinely," said Sharma-Dahal.

For now, the little girl will stay with Mamta's family, but that could change in the future because while Mamta's family are citizens of Nepal, the baby is a U.S. citizen.

[...]

AUG 28, 2024
[...]

One of the five people who lives in the Bhatt family home spoke exclusively to 7News' Lianna Golden.

He said there were four adults and one child. They are all from Columbia and only speak Spanish.

They did not want to go on camera but told Golden they had lived downstairs in the basement for eight months, only exchanging pleasantries with the Bhatts since they didn't share a common language.

The group said they plan to move out within days, now shaken up by what's happened just above their heads.

[...]

"Although a parent's love can not be replaced and the baby is still in a very vulnerable phase. She is surrounded by people who love her kindly and genuinely," said Sharma-Dahal.

For now, the little girl will stay with Mamta's family, but that could change in the future because while Mamta's family are citizens of Nepal, the baby is a U.S. citizen.
To me the last sentence sounds like a case of colonialism, if your child/grandchild is a US citizen then the US authorities have the right to keep them, and decide what is to happen to them! Not because because being with the maternal family would endanger the child, it's because they can't be allowed to take a US citizen away from the US of A. Would the decision be the same if the parents/grandparents had been from Europe?
If I'm not mistaken, MKB was not yet a US citizen, she was Nepalese, so the child would have Nepalese citizenship too through her.

To me the last sentence sounds like a case of colonialism, if your child/grandchild is a US citizen then the US authorities have the right to keep them, and decide what is to happen to them! Not because because being with the maternal family would endanger the child, it's because they can't be allowed to take a US citizen away from the US of A. Would the decision be the same if the parents/grandparents had been from Europe?
If I'm not mistaken, MKB was not yet a US citizen, she was Nepalese, so the child would have Nepalese citizenship too through her.

I think that just may be a badly worded sentence by a reporter who doesn't fully understand the situation.

Regardless of citizenship, the courts will have to determine who is awarded custody, just like in any child custody situation. The situation could get complicated if Naresh's family contests the claim. It could take some time to resolve, and while the matter is in front of the courts, the child will likely have to stay in the U.S.

But once Mamta's family is awarded full custody (as they should be) then they should have every right to return to Nepal with the baby.

IIRC earlier someone stated that you cannot have dual citizenship with the US and Nepal, and that is a Nepal rule.. not a US one. This is why they say the husband only has US citizenship. Again IIRC Mamta was also days away from her US citizenship.

IIRC earlier someone stated that you cannot have dual citizenship with the US and Nepal, and that is a Nepal rule.. not a US one. This is why they say the husband only has US citizenship. Again IIRC Mamta was also days away from her US citizenship.
Children in most countries prohibiting dual citizenship are exceptions to the rule when receiving nationality by descent, and hold both nationalities until they reach the age of majority, at which point they must decide which one to keep; this includes Nepal, per section 10(iv) of the Nationality Law: https://jp.nepalembassy.gov.np/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/citizenship_act_eng.pdf

For the US, the child is a US citizen only, even if she actually is a dual citizen. It also doesn’t matter if it’s Nepal or Europe, for the US, the child is a US citizen and done.

I do, though, think the paragraph is badly worded by a reporter. Facts: This would be a lengthy court custody process anyway, even if no other country is involved. Unless the courts speed it up what they will hopefully do. That’s why every parent needs Estate Planning for their child and name a custodian if they happen to both die. Otherwise the child will remain for many months in the foster/state system until the court has figured a custodian out. They still don’t have to grant custody to the custodian in the Estate Planning, but it is way better to officially have named one. Now with grandparents in another country involved seeking custody, it makes the decision process even much more complicated. The child is US citizen and they would send a US citizen to another country.

Edit: Also, since there likely is no emergency custodian named, and Naresh is not guilty until convicted, the grandparents very likely won’t be able to take the child out of the country for now. I hope they can get granted a visa to stay in the US for the time frame of the trial or another official court order.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katgneal
Back