VA VA - Mamta Kafle Bhatt, 28, mom & pediatric nurse, 'involuntary missing,' husband reported her missing Aug 5, Manassas Park, 31 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Detailed timeline. I think this is the first time I've seen the date the Tesla was sold.

Naresh was very, very busy...two different Walmarts, packing up the house, selling the car, visiting a cafe in Loudon County. No wonder he didn't have time to join the search for Mamta. :mad:

AUG 24, 2024
Authorities said Bhatt sold his Tesla on August 19...
That article also says he never deployed. I think I had heard he’d gone to Afghanistan, so I guess that’s false. He also didn’t move rank much.

I get the impression police had been watching him for a while. Maybe it took selling the car for them to be able to get its records which lead to getting the home search warrant? Idk. It will be interesting if/when more details come out

AUG 23, 2024
  • Prince William County prosecutor Sarah Sami said investigators found blood spatter in the master bedroom and bathroom.
  • On July 30, the last day that family reported hearing from Mamta, Naresh Bhatt purchased knives.
  • At some point, he also went to a Loudoun County Walmart to buy Lysol and Febreze.
  • Naresh Bhatt’s only words to the court Friday were that he was “not very fluent” in English.
  • Sami pointed out “a number of inconsistent statements” Naresh Bhatt had made about the whereabouts of his wife.
  • Naresh Bhatt originally told LE that his wife was visiting friends “either in Texas or New York."
  • On Aug. 1, her co-workers contacted police after Mamta missed two shifts.
  • Naresh Bhatt was unemployed at the time of Mamta’s disappearance.
Just catching up here. This guy is claiming that he’s not very fluent in English? How was he in the US Army and hired as a police officer without being fluent. He’d have to be able to write reports as a PO. Sounds just a little too convenient. Is he hoping to use it to claim he didn’t understand the questioning by police and that’s why he gave conflicting statements?

I hope he leads LE to Mamta’s body but I have a feeling this is one stubborn SOB who won’t give up anything.

Just catching up here. This guy is claiming that he’s not very fluent in English? How was he in the US Army and hired as a police officer without being fluent. He’d have to be able to write reports as a PO. Sounds just a little too convenient. Is he hoping to use it to claim he didn’t understand the questioning by police and that’s why he gave conflicting statements?

I hope he leads LE to Mamta’s body but I have a feeling this is one stubborn SOB who won’t give up anything.
It is very, very common for people fluent in conversational English as a second language to have a translator in a court case. The concepts, rules, and terminology used in a court room are completely different to every day language. There's no mystery here, no ploy, it's just about him being able to understand what's happening and participate in his own defense.

MOO

It is very, very common for people fluent in conversational English as a second language to have a translator in a court case. The concepts, rules, and terminology used in a court room are completely different to every day language. There's no mystery here, no ploy, it's just about him being able to understand what's happening and participate in his own defense.

MOO
I’m not questioning the reason for the govt providing an interpreter. I’m just calling BS on his saying he’s “not very fluent in English.” That I believe is a ploy.

He only made it a few weeks in the police academy, he was not a police officer. His English must be pretty good to be in the Army, work in IT, apply to be LE, etc. I can see why he wants to make that claim but as you point out, it's not plausible. MOOO.

7PM 8/12:

Hubby doesn't want to discuss....
From the article: "After being at the Manassas Park Police Department for hours, we found Bhatt's husband, Naresh Bhatt. "I am suffering through a lot," Bhatt told WUSA9. Bhatt did not want to go into detail about the case but told WUSA9 that he was calling on the community to help him bring his wife home. "

Hubby didn't want to go into details with the media. Not quite the same as "doesn't want to discuss" with the police.

What is it about men doing this, seriously. I just watched the new Laci Peterson docuseries. But I could fill a page with names. List. Dupont de Ligonnes. Jeffrey MacDonald, too. I think the baby in this case is very lucky to be alive - these cases often have fatal outcomes for the kids, too.

It's like the killer's ego won't allow their partner to exist without them. Like their partner thriving independent of them doesn't occur to them, because they're the centre of the universe. They just get to a place where they're not feeling it anymore and hit hard reset. You have to be completely narcissistic to do that. Not see your family as actual people, just as... furniture.

MOO
found it a bit unusual that he spared the child because it seems, IMO, that a lot of men who kill their wives have no patience for children. I guess they see the wife's leaving as an ultimate betrayal- also wonder if he told M that he was unemployed- if he was hiding financial problems and lying and it was all going to come out so he saw this crime as a way to avoid reality.

Mamta's mother says if they can bring her granddaughter back to Nepal, they will. Much more in the article; sounds like Mamta had MIL troubles. Lengthy article. MOO

AUG 25, 2024
[...]

“We have no idea about our daughter's condition or if she is even alive,” said Mamata's father, Kamal Kafle. “It's been so many days, and we haven't received any news.”

To gather information about the disappearance, Mamata's mother, Geeta Kafle, and brother, Mahesh Kafle, are making arrangements to travel to the US, according to Kamal. Speaking to the Post, Kamal expressed his growing concern: “We haven't learned anything about her condition; our hearts are pounding heavily. As soon as all the necessary arrangements are made, we plan to leave for the US immediately.”

[...]

Last edited:
Detailed timeline. I think this is the first time I've seen the date the Tesla was sold.

Naresh was very, very busy...two different Walmarts, packing up the house, selling the car, visiting a cafe in Loudon County. No wonder he didn't have time to join the search for Mamta. :mad:

AUG 24, 2024
Authorities said Bhatt sold his Tesla on August 19...
Dear God, he wouldn't report her missing at the beginning but then he said she destroyed her cell phone prior to going missing. I was unaware of how much blood and the locations there were. So very sad. I hope he keeps talking,explaining, the hole for him just keeps getting bigger. IMO

Mamta's mother says if they can bring her granddaughter back to Nepal, they will. Much more in the article; sounds like Mamta had MIL troubles. Lengthy article. MOO

AUG 25, 2024
[...]

“We have no idea about our daughter's condition or if she is even alive,” said Mamata's father, Kamal Kafle. “It's been so many days, and we haven't received any news.”

To gather information about the disappearance, Mamata's mother, Geeta Kafle, and brother, Mahesh Kafle, are making arrangements to travel to the US, according to Kamal. Speaking to the Post, Kamal expressed his growing concern: “We haven't learned anything about her condition; our hearts are pounding heavily. As soon as all the necessary arrangements are made, we plan to leave for the US immediately.”

[...]
The stories of the MIL...if true....
" Clan of the Cave Bear".....anyone?
Geesh

Yes, very sad story. Honestly, I think the guy was off-kilter way before it happened.

But, perhaps, just perhaps, the "gossip" that exists in tightly-knit communities will be his comeuppance? Would anyone marry off her daughter to his brother, knowing that there is such a history of violence in the family? Would he ever be able to marry, to get a good job? I doubt it. I guess he is tied up to Canada now, either way. There might be some Western concept of karma, such as "circles on the water."

Of course, he could have been paranoid thinking it was not his child. Another version - in Canada, prenatal sex determination is commonplace. Was he unhappy with a second daughter?

^^rsbm

MFB was being tortured! More from the quoted link/ post:

Parents are suspicious of foul play

Mamata’s parents and other kin are suspicious of foul play in the mysterious disappearance as they smelt a rat in Mamata’s mother-in-law’s treatment of their daughter.

“We started hearing that Mamata's mother-in-law, who had gone to the US to care for her, was not treating her well, and was sceptical about Mamata’s indifference to their demand of Chhaupadi, the tradition of keeping a person in different shed during menstrual period,” Kamal said. “Whenever we asked Mamata how she was doing, she always said she was fine. She never told us about the pain she was going through, though we did hear bits and pieces from outside. We thought it was just minor quarrels that would be resolved.”
[..]

Mamata’s family claims that recently, her husband, Naresh, and his mother had not been treating her well. “During her menstruation, they did not treat her well under the guise of tradition,” said Mamata's aunt, Maiya Kafle.

Maiya complained that ironically the woman who had gone to take care of the puerpera tortured her.

“Her mother-in-law had gone to care for her, but instead, she made Mamata work on an empty stomach and did not provide proper food or care. This has only deepened our suspicions,” she said. “We believe that their relationship started to deteriorate after her mother-in-law went to the US. Even after that, there were issues, which we were suspicious of.”

Mamata Kafle case: Family prepares to travel to US to get updates

The stories of the MIL...if true....
" Clan of the Cave Bear".....anyone?
Geesh

Might be true.

I don't know about Nepal, but in India, it is the oldest son whose responsibility is to take care of his family. The MIL-DIL or alternatively, MIL-SIL's relationships, of course, are subject to multiple jokes in all countries and cultures. However, in countries with high population density and nuclear family structures, things may become tense.

Now, Chhaupadi is practiced in Western Nepal and rural areas. The government policy is against it. My question is, were Mamta and Naresh of different cultures within Nepal? (She, a big-city and more intelligent girl? Him, not so much?). Sounds so at least.

My next question is, did they even speak the same language? Or did they communicate in English?

Chhaupadi - Wikipedia

AUG 25, 2024
[...]

[...]

So some other questions coming to my mind:

1) Mamta graduated from her nursing program in Bangalore, an Indian IT hub, which is rapidly growing and well-off. Think of our Silicone Valley or even Seattle, you can imagine the type of people Mamta was exposed to. I don't know where in Nepal she lived, but IMHO, highly likely, she was very educated and open to the world.

2) now, Kanchanpur, the part Naresh was from, is SW part of Nepal, and I understand that clinging to Chhaupadi traditions would be unsurprising there. He moved to the US, true, was in the army, and then, failed police academy...probably, intellectually he was way lower than Mamta. Her mom says that they didn't know him. Believable.

3) To be honest, I wonder if the marriage was that much arranged. There are dating apps for any country, religion or community. Even for Muslims in Central Asia. While any culture conforms to own religious/cultural norms, progress is speeding things up. I doubt that Mamta never saw Naresh before marriage or that she had no say in it. It doesn't seem so at all from what her mom's account. Mamta was probably early and educated Gen Z, Naresh, an early millennial, from a more parochial culture, obstinate, paranoid and with a controlling, difficult mom from an uneducated part of the country?

I think Mamta would fit into US culture to a T. And her husband probably felt it, was jealous, foresaw that she'd leave him (I wish she lived to it!), be an independent woman and a good nurse, and he felt incompetent and humiliated in comparison to her.

Naresh killed her because while he limited Mamta in everything - money, car, food, house, time allowed to work, impregnated her, was sending her out of the house during menstruations, stole her green card - she still managed to advance in her career, and life, and make friends. Naresh was sitting in his "solely owned" house and using his "solely owned" Tesla and felt what he really was - a total loser.

I also wonder if she had her period when she was killed? Her friends may know.

Putting it all together, I seriously doubt it is a good idea to send the child back to Nepal. Her mom was withstanding the torture to be able to escape the controlling environment. Mamta's parents invested into the education of their only daughter. Does anyone see my point?

So some other questions coming to my mind:

1) Mamta graduated from her nursing program in Bangalore, an Indian IT hub, which is rapidly growing and well-off. Think of our Silicone Valley or even Seattle, you can imagine the type of people Mamta was exposed to. I don't know where in Nepal she lived, but IMHO, highly likely, she was very educated and open to the world.

2) now, Kanchanpur, the part Naresh was from, is SW part of Nepal, and I understand that clinging to Chhaupadi traditions would be unsurprising there. He moved to the US, true, was in the army, and then, failed police academy...probably, intellectually he was way lower than Mamta. Her mom says that they didn't know him. Believable.

3) To be honest, I wonder if the marriage was that much arranged. There are dating apps for any country, religion or community. Even for Muslims in Central Asia. While any culture conforms to own religious/cultural norms, progress is speeding things up. I doubt that Mamta never saw Naresh before marriage or that she had no say in it. It doesn't seem so at all from what her mom's account. Mamta was probably early and educated Gen Z, Naresh, an early millennial, from a more parochial culture, obstinate, paranoid and with a controlling, difficult mom from an uneducated part of the country?

I think Mamta would fit into US culture to a T. And her husband probably felt it, was jealous, foresaw that she'd leave him (I wish she lived to it!), be an independent woman and a good nurse, and he felt incompetent and humiliated in comparison to her.

Naresh killed her because while he limited Mamta in everything - money, car, food, house, time allowed to work, impregnated her, was sending her out of the house during menstruations, stole her green card - she still managed to advance in her career, and life, and make friends. Naresh was sitting in his "solely owned" house and using his "solely owned" Tesla and felt what he really was - a total loser.

I also wonder if she had her period when she was killed? Her friends may know.

Putting it all together, I seriously doubt it is a good idea to send the child back to Nepal. Her mom was withstanding the torture to be able to escape the controlling environment. Mamta's parents invested into the education of their only daughter. Does anyone see my point?
Regarding #3, it doesn't sound like it was an arranged marriage based on how her mother describes it. She says they agreed to it for their daughter's happiness. MOO

During this time, Mamata had an affair with Naresh Bhatt, who was originally from Kanchanpur but was living in the US. “Mamata was our only daughter, and we wanted her marriage to be well-considered,” said Kamal. “We didn’t know much about Naresh’s family, but for Mamata’s happiness, we agreed to the marriage, which took place in Panauti, Kavre.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416
Back