VA VA - Michael, 50, Mary, 36, & Jennifer Short, 9, Bassett, 15 Aug 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I haven't heard anything else from the investigator that I had email contact with. He was given the address to all the links here, and a brief overview of the case, and now no contact with him at all.

This is so sad, seems nobody around, even the media will not try to revive anything to do with this case:banghead:

curious_mom said:
I really don't think anybody is interested in this case anymore, and that's such a shame!

I have written letters to every media outlet I can think of, and have heard of, including all the top blogs who do criminal investigative stuff, and so far I've only got one person who sent back an email with a question, and then nothing else.

I was in the process of setting up a website about this case, but if I cannot get anybody interested in discussing the case, I'm not sure I'm going to go thru all the trouble to set that up.

I'm sure if the right people would get involved, and this case was brought back into the forefront like alot of the new cases are, maybe LE would get something more than they have already. It's such a shame that when a case goes cold, people lose interest. There is a person running around out there right now who murdered a whole family, and who knows when that person might strike again!

I did send an email to a private investigator this morning who is working on the Tara Grinstead case. Since he is a professional, my guess is he'd want to be paid for anything related to this case, but I haven't heard back from him so we'll see.

This is just so frustrating!!!

I don't know of any blogs that work with cold cases. I think one is badly needed, to keep the crimes in the public eye. I have a theory that someone somewhere wants each case to be forgotten. So the more each case is publicized, the more people we could keep on edge, by pubically showing the cases aren't forgotten.

Jennifer Renee Short
Age at Time of Disappearance: 9
Sex: Female
From City/State: Bassett, VA
Case type: Unsolved Homicide

Case Summary
Jennifer was discovered missing the morning of August 15, 2002. Jennifer's parents were both found murdered inside the residence. Both died from a single bullet wound to the head. The following month, on September 25th, Jennifer's skeletal remains were located beneath a bridge on Grogan Rd., in Rockingham County, NC. Her cause of death was determined to be caused by a bullet wound to her head and remains unsolved.

Investigative Agency:
If you believe you have any information regarding this case that will be helpful in this investigation please contact:
Henry County Sheriff's Department at (276) 638-8751

Source:
National Center for Missing Adults (NCMA)

Link:
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?C200301484W

I just read this case today and wanted to see if there were any updates. I sure hope for a resolution in this case soon. Great work!

I say this to stir up any hope of finding the killer(s) of the Shorts. It seems like too much time has passed, there seems to be little interest in this.

Again, if common sense prevails, it has to be one of two people. Bowman or Lemons. Lemons was involved in another crime where a woman brought in a car to be crushed on his lot, it just happened to contain a body in the trunk.

Bowman had every reason to have committed this crime. He's just arrogant enough and stubborn enough to know what to not say.

It's a coin-flip, and there are no other options. Is it the finger pointer or the stubborn hick? I have a feeling LE knows...

Those of us who live in the area and post at places like Websleuths will NEVER let Jennifer and her family far from our minds and hearts. I live in Greensboro, NC, and I have posted several x about these murders-especially after Duncan was captured in the Groene case. Why, you ask? Because it occurred to me that in some respects, there were unsettling ?? that bugged me after his capture.

1. That Duncan staked out the Groene family-and I wondered if something similiar happened in Jennifer's case.

2. The cut phone lines at the Short residence-didn't Duncan do the same at the Groene home?

3. That Duncan was a scuba entheusiast and that there was a scuba event at large venue in the area around the same time frame.

4. My own belief is that Jennifer was the target all along-why else take the chance of removing her from the home at all?

I know that to date, no concrete evidence has surfaced to place Duncan in the area at the time of the murders-but I still have not seen an answer to a ?? I posed before-what was the caliber of the weapon Duncan was caught with; and what was the caliber of the weapon used in the Short murders?

Just my own meanderings-and any errors are my own!

gatetrekker44 said:
I still have not seen an answer to a ?? I posed before-what was the caliber of the weapon Duncan was caught with; and what was the caliber of the weapon used in the Short murders?
This is all I could find in trying to answer your questions. I'm sure there could have been other weapons found on him besides the ones mentioned.

The Shorts are believed to have been killed by single .22-caliber gunshots to the head. http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/Archive/2002/Sept'02/s090802.htm

Wolfinger said Duncan is believed to have killed Brenda Groene, her boyfriend, Mark McKenzie, and her older son, Slade. Their bodies, bound and beaten, were found at their home in Coeur d'Alene in mid-May.
http://news.usti.net/home/news/cn/?/news.crime.murders/2/wed/ah/Uus-missingkids.RmFE_Fl7.html

Convicted sex offender Joseph Edward Duncan bragged to his 8-year-old captive during more than six weeks on the run, telling her how he used a shotgun and hammer to kill her family after staking out their home for days, court documents show.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/keyword?k=MOLESTOR

T'sNana said:
I just read this case today and wanted to see if there were any updates. I sure hope for a resolution in this case soon. Great work!
We haven't had any updates on this case in a VERY long time, although LE states they still have many investigators on the case following many leads, also, still awaiting some forensics testing.

Shadow205 said:
Does anyone know if the Short family ever attended NASCAR races? I know that they lived fairly near the track in Martinsville, VA. I am working on something involving Jack Wiley & Glenna Faye Marshall. See the thread http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35588
Although this family lived only about 14-20 minutes from the Martinsville Speedway, there was never any mention about them going there to the races. It's possible I guess, but the biggest majority of us locals would rather stay home and watch it on TV, as they really are the better seats.

gatetrekker44 said:
Those of us who live in the area and post at places like Websleuths will NEVER let Jennifer and her family far from our minds and hearts. I live in Greensboro, NC, and I have posted several x about these murders-especially after Duncan was captured in the Groene case. Why, you ask? Because it occurred to me that in some respects, there were unsettling ?? that bugged me after his capture.

1. That Duncan staked out the Groene family-and I wondered if something similiar happened in Jennifer's case.

2. The cut phone lines at the Short residence-didn't Duncan do the same at the Groene home?

3. That Duncan was a scuba entheusiast and that there was a scuba event at large venue in the area around the same time frame.

4. My own belief is that Jennifer was the target all along-why else take the chance of removing her from the home at all?

I know that to date, no concrete evidence has surfaced to place Duncan in the area at the time of the murders-but I still have not seen an answer to a ?? I posed before-what was the caliber of the weapon Duncan was caught with; and what was the caliber of the weapon used in the Short murders?

Just my own meanderings-and any errors are my own!
There have been many references to Duncan maybe being involved in this case, and if I remember correctly, someone in Websleuths and or the "Court TV" message boards sent their 2 cents worth about this to local LE. But there has never been any mention of it in our local news concering this allegation.

As far as I could tell, the closest info about Duncan maybe being involved came from the fact that he had a family member, maybe a sister, who resided in NC, not to far from the Short location in VA. Also, Duncan was suppossedly involved in that online game of GPS hunting of clues (sorry, don't know what the game is called), and may have been as close as the NC area where his sister lived.

The biggest reason I think he was not involved, was because of the location where they found little Jennifer's body. Although it was located off one of our major highways, your everyday tom dick and harry wouldn't just happen upon this location. If you didn't know where it was, it would have been very hard for a stranger to find because it was several turns off the main highway and not very highly travelled.

But I guess anything is possible when it comes to this case, since nothing else they've investigated has seemed to pan out.

I think the majority of us in the area feel as if Jennifer were the intended target, since she is the one who was kidnapped, not just shot at her home like her parents, unless of course the target was one of the parents and in shooting them, little Jennifer woke up and the animal/animals that killed her parents just couldn't decide what to do with her at first, and later decided she, too, had to be done away with???

MOO

Curious-mom, I know that there was a POI in the Short case. Was he ruled out or is he still being considered? What are the thoughts of local people as to his involvement?

curious_mom said:
Although this family lived only about 14-20 minutes from the Martinsville Speedway, there was never any mention about them going there to the races. It's possible I guess, but the biggest majority of us locals would rather stay home and watch it on TV, as they really are the better seats.

Shadow205 said:
Curious-mom, I know that there was a POI in the Short case. Was he ruled out or is he still being considered? What are the thoughts of local people as to his involvement?

A POI, who lived in this area, had some possible tie with the family through a mobile home deal with his landlord and who left N.C. for Canada shortly after the murders, was brought back from Canada and appeared at a grand jury regarding the Short murders....but he has never been charged. He is a bit of a local nut - and had a reputation of being nutty with a bad temper before this murder took place. Still and all, I just don't think he is the person who did this. I think a lot of people in this area do believe he is the person responsible, but I'm not one of them. Supposedly he and his landlord had a deal on purchasing/selling a mobile home that fell through - the Short family's business was moving mobile homes - and some say he may have had contact with them to move the mobile home. Jennifer Short's body was found in N.C. in the county where this POI lived and she was found near property where this mobile home was located. So he definately knew the area and the rural location where Jennifer was later found. But so did the landlord that he had the hassle with over the mobile home. And believe me, he's not wrapped too tight either. The police were alerted to this guy by the landlord and the landlord told some tales about the guy, which I don't think ever truly panned out. Some may have, some did not. So why did the landlord guy try to point the finger elsewhere? That's always been the question nagging my brain.

I would really like to hear more of your thoughts on the Short case. The discussion has been moved to: http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31716 in order to follow the forums rules.

And hey, wow, I was talking just yesterday about this case with several people from another forum, and last night on the news we get info on the case. No new evidence, just info about a conviction for one of the people who gave false info to try and collect the reward money. Talk about Karma, lol

I don't think any info was ever proved about Bowman, the only POI who has been named. He now lives in another state, although LE states they know where he is if they need to get further info.

As far as Lemons, the landlord who was responsible for pointing the finger at Bowman, from what I hear, yeah, he's a nutcase too, and has long been accused of various crimes in his area. He has always interested me more as a POI than Bowman, just not something right there.

Last night, as I was listening to the news, wsls in Roanoke VA, they said theat one of the people responsible for giving false information to LE in order to collect the reward money, has been convicted. I've looked and looked and there is no link as of yet, so I can't give his name or the exact info. If they post the story, I will put it here. I'm interested in trying to get more info on this guy but I can't recall his name, as I was half asleep.

less0305 said:
A POI, who lived in this area, had some possible tie with the family through a mobile home deal with his landlord and who left N.C. for Canada shortly after the murders, was brought back from Canada and appeared at a grand jury regarding the Short murders....but he has never been charged. He is a bit of a local nut - and had a reputation of being nutty with a bad temper before this murder took place. Still and all, I just don't think he is the person who did this. I think a lot of people in this area do believe he is the person responsible, but I'm not one of them. Supposedly he and his landlord had a deal on purchasing/selling a mobile home that fell through - the Short family's business was moving mobile homes - and some say he may have had contact with them to move the mobile home. Jennifer Short's body was found in N.C. in the county where this POI lived and she was found near property where this mobile home was located. So he definately knew the area and the rural location where Jennifer was later found. But so did the landlord that he had the hassle with over the mobile home. And believe me, he's not wrapped too tight either. The police were alerted to this guy by the landlord and the landlord told some tales about the guy, which I don't think ever truly panned out. Some may have, some did not. So why did the landlord guy try to point the finger elsewhere? That's always been the question nagging my brain.

Shadow205 said:
That is the problem with this case, NOBODY talks about it anymore. The POI has since moved to another state, but LE states they know where he is if they need further info from him.

If you ask local LE about the case, they just simply say it's still being investigated, but nothing is hardly ever published about the case anymore.

As I stated in the previous post of mine, there was a bit of news on the case last night, heard it again this morning, but cannot find a link yet. Timothy Sampson was convicted yesterday for giving false info to investigators about the Short family. He was one of I think 2 or 3 people who got together and said they witnessed the murders, and it was all false info. They were trying to collect the reward money. Sure wish they'd post the story:confused:

Jury convicts man of perjury in Short case

A North Carolina man was convicted Wednesday of perjury and other charges in relation to the slayings of members of the Short family.
U.S. Attorney John L. Brownlee said in a release that Timothy Sampson, 41, was convicted of conspiracy to commit perjury, perjury, providing false material and information and subornation (inducing someone to commit a crime) of perjury in relation to the slayings of Michael Short and Mary Short, and the kidnapping and killing of Jennifer Short.

The verdict came after a two-day jury trial in U.S. District Court in Charlottesville.

"Mr. Sampson's conviction makes it clear that we will not tolerate anyone lying to investigators or wasting government resources in this manner," said Brownlee in the release.

more at link: http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/Secondstory.htm

curious_mom said:
Jury convicts man of perjury in Short case

A North Carolina man was convicted Wednesday of perjury and other charges in relation to the slayings of members of the Short family.
U.S. Attorney John L. Brownlee said in a release that Timothy Sampson, 41, was convicted of conspiracy to commit perjury, perjury, providing false material and information and subornation (inducing someone to commit a crime) of perjury in relation to the slayings of Michael Short and Mary Short, and the kidnapping and killing of Jennifer Short.

The verdict came after a two-day jury trial in U.S. District Court in Charlottesville.

"Mr. Sampson's conviction makes it clear that we will not tolerate anyone lying to investigators or wasting government resources in this manner," said Brownlee in the release.

more at link: http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/Secondstory.htm
Good! It is bad enough a family has to go through such awful times without having people try to scam the reward and possibly get an innocent person convicted of a crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Altruistic_Ruin06
Back