VA VA - Michael, 50, Mary, 36, & Jennifer Short, 9, Bassett, 15 Aug 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Monday, August 13, 2007
By GINNY WRAY - Bulletin Staff Writer

Five years after Mary and Michael Short were shot to death and their 9-year-old daughter was abducted and slain, police have no new information to share in the case, according to Rockingham County (N.C.) Sheriff Sam Page.
“I wish I could tell you something” new about the case, “but honestly I can’t,” Page told 157 people gathered at the Jennifer Short Memorial Bridge on Sunday. They had taken part in the fifth annual Jennifer Short Memorial Ride, which began in Henry County and ended on the bridge near where Jennifer’s remains were found in September 2002.

http://tinyurl.com/24omyy

[FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lindsey Henley / WSLS NewsChannel 10[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Aug 12, 2007

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Motorcyclists rev their engines ? hoping the Jennifer Short Memorial Ride will spark someone's memory of what happened five years ago this week. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] "It keeps people thinking about what went on and hopefully someone will take attention and come forward," Jerry Short, Michael Short's brother, said. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Right across the street from where the drivers congregate is the house where Michael and Mary short were found shot to death. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Their nine year old daughter, Jennifer, was found dismembered in a North Carolina ditch about a month later. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] It's a cold-blooded murder that police have yet to figure out. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] "I don't think they've really ever lost any of the people of interest that they had originally," Sheriff Lane Perry with the Henry County Sheriff's Office said. "But they do have people they look at and leads they follow up on." [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] At the end of the memorial ride, some of Jennifer's family members put her picture at the bridge where police found her remains. They hope someone driving by may recognize her and call police with the piece of information that can solve this puzzle. [/FONT][/FONT]

http://tinyurl.com/yohrxh

Wednesday marks the 5th anniversary of the Short family murders. Despite an on-going investigation, no one has ever been charged with the crimes.

WFMY News 2 - Nearly 5 years ago, someone found Michael and Mary Short dead in their home, both with a single bullet wound to their head.

"We presume that she was kidnapped, abducted from her own home after her parents were killed and taken against her will," said an investigator on the scene of the Short family murders in 2002.

It has been 5 years since the discovery of Michael and Mary Short's bodies in their Henry County, Virginia home.

"They were good people, quiet," said a friend. "They never bothered anybody as far as I know. Just down-to-earth, everyday people."

"To brutally murder two people and then not to harm the third person, to take that person, for whatever reason, at this time doesn't make a lot of sense," said an investigator at the scene.

The murders on August 15, 2002 launched a search for the couple's missing 9-year-old daughter, Jennifer.

Efforts by air, on land and under water went on for weeks, while Jennifer's extended family waited for her return.

"We miss you and we love you very much. Please don't give up," a relative said through tears at press conference held shortly after Jennifer's disappearance.

Nearly six weeks later, dogs found remains in Rockingham County. Authorities had DNA results by October 4.

http://tinyurl.com/24awmg

This one needs to be solved. Hoping L.E. gets info to help them in the case.

August 15, 2007

Today marks the five-year anniversary since a Henry County family was brutally killed.
On August 15, 2002 a family friend found Michael and Mary Short shot dead in their home off Route 220. A month and a half later, their daughter Jennifer's body was found in a creek in North Carolina. She was also shot.

At this point not one suspect has been arrested. For years, Gary Bowman was the only known person of interest in the triple murder that sent shivers through Henry County. After his arrest on immigration charges in Canada's Yukon territory, he was deported back to North Carolina.

From the very beginning, Bowman was very vocal, insisting he had nothing to do with the killings of Mike, Mary or Jennifer Short. While investigators aren't going as far as saying he's innocent, they admit it's time to turn their attention elsewhere.
"In Mr. Bowman's particular case, he was someone looked at early on in the investigation" says FBI supervisor Kevin Foust. "The evidence has not panned out to this point... that any indictments or arrests are imminent or pending in the foreseeable future."

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=6933367

In Short family slayings

Wednesday, August 15, 2007
By DEBBIE HALL - Bulletin Staff Writer

A task force assigned to the five-year-old Short family homicide case has developed people of interest, according to Henry County Sheriff Lane Perry.

However, Perry would not elaborate on the people who were identified by the task force, which is made up of ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives), FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigations), Virginia State Police, local and other investigators.

In general terms, Perry described people of interest as having “circumstances surrounding them that need to be proved or disproved.

” Michael and Mary Short were found shot to death inside their Oak Level home on Aug. 16, 2002. Each was killed by a single gunshot wound to the head, police have said.

The Shorts’ daughter, Jennifer Renee Short, who was 9 years old at the time, was missing and presumed abducted.

About six weeks later, her remains were found near a bridge on Grogan Road in Rockingham County, N.C. Forensic tests determined that Jennifer also died from a single gunshot wound to the head.

No arrests have been made in the slayings.

<snipped from same article>

Early on in the investigation, police identified Garrison Bowman, a retired carpenter from North Carolina, as a person of interest in the case. Perry said Monday that Bowman is not a suspect. He declined to elaborate.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=10249

Garrison has been the only named person of interest in this case, and finally, now, after all this time, they are saying he's not a suspect, WOW. I know most of the people I talk to about this case have always felt Mr. Bowman was set-up, I guess now police might think the same???

The sixth annual Jennifer Short Memorial Bike/Car Ride is as important this year as ever, organizers say, but they fear fuel prices and the general state of the economy will keep riders at home.
The 35-mile ride that honors Jennifer Short and her parents, whose killer is still unknown, is scheduled for Sunday, Aug. 10, and the cost is $10 per person.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=14967&back=archives

Investigators continue to probe case

A break in the investigation into the slayings of Michael, Mary and Jennifer Short could be just one piece of evidence away, law enforcement officials told a crowd gathered Sunday to honor the former Oak Level residents.
&#8220;I want to assure you, this is not a cold case,&#8221; Henry County Sheriff Lane Perry said as he stood on a bridge in Rockingham County, N.C., near where 9-year-old Jennifer&#8217;s remains were found almost six years ago. &#8220;... I think we&#8217;re on the verge of it. We just need that last little piece of evidence.&#8221;

1-a-Jshortride1.jpg

(About 170 riders line up Sunday for the return trip to Virginia at a home on Grogan Road in Rockingham County, N.C., near the site where 9-year-old Jennifer Short&#8217;s body was found in 2002. Her parents, Michael and Mary Short, were found shot to death in their Oak Level home weeks before her body was found.) (Bulletin photo by Mike Wray)

Fund now totals $67,000

State, federal and local authorities hope a reward of nearly $70,000 will jog a memory and provide information that will lead to a conviction in the six-year-old Short triple homicide.
“This is a different type of crime,” Henry County Sheriff Lane Perry said Friday at the announcement which coincided with the anniversary of the shooting deaths of Michael and Mary Short and their daughter, Jennifer Short, 9.

The FBI recently unveiled a new Web site to give and receive information on the case at http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seekinfo/short_j.htm, Perry said. A toll-free Tip Line can be accessed at 1-800-225-5324. Locally, CrimeStoppers can be reached at 632-7463 (or 63-CRIME), he said.
http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=15147&back=archives

I hate to admit this, but I didn't realize that the Short murders are still unsolved. This seems ridiculous. It's such a small town, someone had to notice something.

I've often wondered if this is a Joseph Duncan crime. I think I remember that he went to Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia around this time to go diving.

I've often wondered if this is a Joseph Duncan crime. I think I remember that he went to Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia around this time to go diving.

:eek: This would be his M.O., too, based on what he did to the Groenes. Home invasion, murder of parents with a gun, abduction of child and later shooting the child to death, too.

It all fits...If... he was on the East Coast during the time of the murders.

:eek: This would be his M.O., too, based on what he did to the Groenes. Home invasion, murder of parents with a gun, abduction of child and later shooting the child to death, too.
This has reminded me of Duncan since we first learned of him but did he use a gun on Brenda Groene and her boyfriend? I thought it was much more grotesque.

This has reminded me of Duncan since we first learned of him but did he use a gun on Brenda Groene and her boyfriend? I thought it was much more grotesque.

I emailed Steve Huff through the blog he had at the time with this info when the story broke about Duncan (and I am sure I wasn't the only one) to see if he could check into it. I know he did quite a bit of research on Duncan and was tracking his whereabouts for the years preceding the Groene kidnapping. Anyway, I checked back on his blog many times to see if he had made a connection to the Short case and don't think he ever did.

This was the first case I thought about when I heard about Duncan. It happened not very far from here and I still check on it every now and then to see if they ever arrested anyone.

This was the first case I thought about when I heard about Duncan. It happened not very far from here and I still check on it every now and then to see if they ever arrested anyone.
It is, indeed, startlingly similar. I join with everyone here in hoping that they will eventually find justice for this family.

That is interesting about the Duncan connection. I had never heard about that. Has the possibility of him being at Smith Mountain Lake been confirmed?

If he was on the East coast at all, that certainly opens up possible leads in other cases as well. Maybe at this point since he's already facing death he'll start to open up even more about other crimes.

Short case reward brings tips
Thursday, August 28, 2008

A nearly $70,000 reward has sparked interest and information about the Short family slayings, and a local pastor is calling for prayer and a communitywide three-day fast to help solve the case.
Henry County Sheriff Lane Perry said typically, there are more calls preceding the Aug. 15 anniversary of the slayings, but calls were even more abundant this year than usual.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=15336

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back