Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To repeat: "Friend" is vague. "Cleared" is vague. No matter what they are totally and completely innnocent (= "cleared") until proven guilty under our law. LE used a vague phrase: "The friends are cleared." Who does that mean? Cleared of what? They just don't want the companions to be harassed, which is also against the law.

LE never ruled out additional companions on the trip to C'ville that night; nor did they rule out additional cars.
snipped by me...

Walker, you continue to refuse to accept facts that have been established, vetted and moved on from as being an issue by LE in Virginia. For your information the VSP did not say her friends were cleared. They went even further to say they were not involved in MH disappearance. See point number three on the link below. And don’t even go there when you say that it is a reporter paraphrasing Lt. Rader’s comments. For your information reporters have to run articles by an editor. No editor is going to publish an article which puts words into a police spokespersons mouth, nor would they allow a police spokesperson to be misquoted. To answer your question, “what does that mean, cleared of what”? To LE, the family, Morgan’s friends and the rest of the free world, the statement by LE means the friends were not involved in Morgan’s disappearance. Also, how is it that you know that no one wants the companions harassed? Who close to the case shared this piece of strategy with you, but not with anyone else?

And how exactly again do you know that LE never ruled out additional companions or other cars on the trip that night? Please post a link showing those statements being made by LE. I could be wrong but I don’t think you’ll be able to find one.

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/80358212.html

Ghostmaster, you make a very important point for people who look to media articles for information on these cases. Just because a police source isn't quoted directly (with words in quotation marks) doesn't mean that WHAT THE LE SOURCE SAID is inaccurate. Even more salient to your point is that journalistic training and ethics emphasizes not misquoting or misrepresenting a source. A paraphrase, linguistically speaking, is a statement that is semantically equivalent in content to another statement. Thus, when reporters paraphrase they must be careful to represent the original meaning. There is nothing inherently better about a direct quotation than a paraphrase, if there is attribution to the source (the source is named or indicated by position, e.g., "a source from the X Police Department). Where the rubber meets the road is in what happens after a story appears. If the reporter misrepresented, there will be corrections and clarifications printed or aired in the media.

As LE said, MH's car was definitely driven to C'ville that night, but perhaps by someone else. LE said that someone in the arena had a set of MH's keys,
Walker, please post a link that shows LE saying that "someone" had a set of Morgan’s keys that night. It has been stated repeatedly that Morgan’s friend Dan, who drove that night held on to the keys. The link below is one of many that state this. Where did you find the statement that referred to "someone" and not her friend friend Dan, had a set of keys ?

http://rockvillemag.blogspot.com/2009/12/morgan-harrington-metallica-fan-still.html

MeoW, just because the friends were cleared by LE does not rule out a crime happening at the car. Perhaps Morgan did have a door key to the car, went to her car when she couldn't make it back inside JPJ, and was abducted from with in the car. We do not know if she had at the very least a door key to her car (I know if it were my car, and some onme else was doing the driving, I'd at least have a door key on me). Saying a crime was committed at the car DOES NOT imply the friends were involved.

Originally there was so much confusion about where the car was that entire weekend, and as much movement of the car as there was before LE was even notified Morgan was missing, from what I understand, LE gave the car only a cursory investigation.

Not too mention the Harrington's have stated that the car had been washed and cleaned by them several times since Morgan vanished.

So to say the location of where the car was parked is simply wearing blinders. I do believe the friends had/have nothing to do with Morgan's vanishing, although I would love to see from an actual source that they are remaining quiet because they have been asked to (mostly attributed to a request by Dr. Harrington but some say LE made the request).

Walker, if a crime happened in Morgan's car don't you think that they would have sent forensics in to check out the car not to mention that would imply her friends had something to do with it.
They were all cleared by LE. You seem to have no faith in LE whatsoever.
The friends had her car & keys, the 3 friends are cleared by LE most likely since the beginning. Where the car was parked is irrelevant IMO.

I just saw the show Disappeared on ID discovery last night. A young woman had been at the bar with a male friend, who was delayed in the men's room because there was a line (who knew? I thought that never happened!) She had her car, in which she left her purse and other items. When the friend got back from the men's room, she had already left with two guys she had been talking with earlier. He had her keys and took her car home. She never made it back because one of the men she left with killed her. So, if Morgan left her car and keys to get a ride with someone else, that's happened before. It's not impossible.

If Morgan said she was going to catch a ride with someone else, it is unlikely that she returned to the car. She didn't have the keys. We need to know (1) who she thought she could catch a ride with, and (2) who she DID catch a ride with. Cell phone and text messages might provide a clue in the first instance, but who knows about the second?

Walker, you continue to refuse to accept facts that have been established, vetted and moved on from as being an issue by LE in Virginia. For your information the VSP did not say her friends were cleared.

Link:

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/80358212.html

VSP Lt. Joe Rader updated reporters on the case Wednesday afternoon. Among the highlights of that briefing:

1) Harrington was drinking and "she wasn't acting rationally that night. Normally she would have acted differently."

2) Harrington may have been drugged or injured in a fall but she hadn't willingly consumed drugs.

3) Her friends were not involved in her disappearance.

4) Police have searched all along I-64 from Charlottesville to Augusta County as well as stretches toward Richmond. They've also searched parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway and conducted searches at other Metallica concerts.

5) Police are looking for a red digital camera Harrington had that night. It may have been a Kodak.

6) Harrington was either abducted or willingly got into a car on the Copeley Road bridge where she had been spotted hitchhiking.

7) Police say people should call if they see a "change in behavior" among anyone who attended the Oct. 17th Metallica concert.

"This is not a cold case," Rader said.

They went even further to say they were not involved in MH disappearance.

The known companions were obviously involved in an indirect way; not necessarily culpable, but they were the last people known to have interacted with her before she suddenly vanished. We can reasonably state that they were involved as at least partial witnesses.

See point number three on the link below. And don’t even go there when you say that it is a reporter paraphrasing Lt. Rader’s comments.

Clearly the "highlights" are not direct quotations from Rader.

For your information reporters have to run articles by an editor. No editor is going to publish an article which puts words into a police spokespersons mouth, nor would they allow a police spokesperson to be misquoted.

The comment is vague, not necessarily incorrect. Obviously, whoever kidnapped/abducted/killed MH is not a "friend."

To answer your question, “what does that mean, cleared of what”? To LE, the family, Morgan’s friends and the rest of the free world, the statement by LE means the friends were not involved in Morgan’s disappearance.

"Friend" is so vague. Some "friend" could have interacted with her in the smoking area without the companions' knowledge.

Rader never defined the set of "friends."

Note: Rader may have defined exactly who was cleared and specified which crimes in the actual text; but the reporter may have left this info out.

Also, how is it that you know that no one wants the companions harassed? Who close to the case shared this piece of strategy with you, but not with anyone else?

Strategy? By LAW, each one of those companions is 100% innocent until proven guilty. No one has the right to harass them for any reason. One of my suggestions is that there may have been other people involved in a suspicious way (ex. an angry BF unknown to the companions).

And how exactly again do you know that LE never ruled out additional companions or other cars on the trip that night? Please post a link showing those statements being made by LE. I could be wrong but I don’t think you’ll be able to find one.

The burden of proof is on you to find statements confirming that the same exact four and only four people traveled together in one single car to C'ville that night, and that after MH left the remaining three were the same exact persons who had arrived with MH that night.

Sometimes young people's plans are "fluid;" they may tell friends that they are going somewhere & "we'll see you there." Or they may have traveled in two cars, then parked one on the street someplace to save money on parking fees, and therefore actually arrived squeezed together all in one car. Or someone may have jumped into someone else's car at any point. We don't really know. Given that we have not been specifically informed that the group remained cohesive the entire night, we may assume the contrary.

Not too mention the Harrington's have stated that the car had been washed and cleaned by them several times since Morgan vanished.

:confused:

LE should impound the car right now, and do complete testing.

You are right when you suggest that she could have been abducted from her parked car as she waited for the companions to return after the concert.

Was Ms. Harrington an heiress to any significant fortune? Sometimes a will stipulates that the beneficiary must be a certain age (21?) before officially inheriting part of someone's estate.

MeoW, It was I, not Walker that posed the idea that perhaps Morgan had a least a door key to her car, not Walker.

Can you find a link that Morgan didn't have an extra set of keys to HER car?

Again, you are assuming just because the friends have been cleared, that means the car has been cleared also. Morgan could have very easily returned to the car when she could not get backt into JPJ, and been assualted, abducted, or visited by little green men. We do not know.

LE has said they gave the car a cursory glance, AFTER it had been washed and cleaned by the Harringtons. Who knows what, if any, evidence of a crime NOT committed by the friends, but against Morgan by some unknown person or persons, was in and or around where the car was parked at UVA.

The friends being involved and the car being involved ARE TWO seperate incidences that need(ed) to be investigated.

The burden of proof is on you to find statements confirming that the same exact four and only four people traveled together in one single car to C'ville that night, and that after MH left the remaining three were the same exact persons who had arrived with MH that night.

Walker, it is not up to me to prove anything buddy. The names of the four individuals who were in Morgan’s car on the way to the concert and the three that were there on the way back are contained in the official VSP record of the events surrounding this case. Perhaps you aren’t familiar with the work that goes into an official report. Before statements are entered into a report they have to be vetted. This is usually done by several different means in order to ensure accuracy. Official reports are extremely important because they can be and are entered in courts of law . The report also contains information regarding the car itself. The VSP did not send the vehicle to Richmond, VA to their crime lab because they didn’t have to. They didn’t have to because it is not considered important to the investigation.They know that for a fact. Why can’t you accept that? You continue to second guess experienced LE in each of your posts. Why? You didn’t exactly answer my questions I put to you and continue to ignore established facts. Instead, you simply repost my comments and try to give credibility to your own statements; which you fall far short of. Read the VSP report Walker; Morgan D. Harington, Case record # 09-83020523. Then read your posts again. You’ll see what I mean.

[I]
Again, you are assuming just because the friends have been cleared, that means the car has been cleared also. Morgan could have very easily returned to the car when she could not get backt into JPJ, and been assualted, abducted, or visited by little green men. We do not know.

LE has said they gave the car a cursory glance, AFTER it had been washed and cleaned by the Harringtons. Who knows what, if any, evidence of a crime NOT committed by the friends, but against Morgan by some unknown person or persons, was in and or around where the car was parked at UVA.
[/i]

Dr. Harrington has stated on the family forum that he got the car back from VSP after they had gone over it. They informed him it had not gone to their crime lab. Please post a link that backs up your comment stating that LE said they gave the car a cursory glance and this had been done after the car was washed. You will not find LE stating any such thing. If the car wasn’t cleared, LE would have never given it back to the family. Do you think this is the first missing person case LE has handled? They know far better than you what they are doing.

I would love to see from an actual source that they are remaining quiet because they have been asked to (mostly attributed to a request by Dr. Harrington but some say LE made the request).

If you go to the family’s forum you will find numerous posts from people there who know the friends. It is they who have said that the friends have been asked by LE not to discuss things. You will not find it in an article anywhere.

Ghostmaster, the vast majority of posters that respond to this claim it's because Dr. Harrington has made the request, not LE. Either way, as you put it, "people who know the friends" is nothing but heresay. Untill I see the claim made by Dr. Harrington himself. or in a VSP statement, I just do not buy it. Heck, I might even believe it if I saw official statements from the friends stating LE has asked them not to discuss the details.

I do not believe the friends were involved, but for their silence to be attibuteable to a request by either Dr. Harrington, or LE is <redacted>

If you go to the family&#8217;s forum you will find numerous posts from people there who know the friends. It is they who have said that the friends have been asked by LE not to discuss things. You will not find it in an article anywhere.

Walker do you sometimes ask questions to stir up the pot a little? A lot of your questions have been answered by facts, which you refuse to believe.

Find us the link where Morgan had 2 sets of keys, did you make that up or is it fact?

Find the link in which it states that MH had one and only one set of keys. Would be rather odd were that true. Most people have two sets of car keys. We cannot just assume that it was impossible for her to just go and sit & wait inside her car that night.

Morgan's friends had her car keys and car. They are not involved in anything criminal regarding Morgan.
That is why the car doesn't need to be impounded or go to forensics.
You have to think outside of the box. One possible scenario: A non-friend sees MH sitting & waiting inside her car on the street or somewhere in C'ville. The non-friend abducts her.

A beneficiary??? Walker sometimes you post really good points and other times i think you post to just post and it just doesn't make sense.

Sometimes its better to try and get positive attention than negative.
If MH were considered independently wealthy (or soon to be wealthy), she could be a target of criminals.

Go with your good ideas that fit with what has been cleared by facts, otherwise it's not helping this case, it's muddying the waters that are already murky by all these rumors and halfcocked theories.
The truth will come out in the end.

The only way that we could possibly help with the case is to examine the facts objectively as one would a mathematical problem.

1. two sets of car keys (or at least a door key) = possible;
2. abducted while sitting in car = possible;
3. targeted for expected wealth (+ jealousy factors?) = possible.

respectfully snipped

The truth will come out in the end.

The only way that we could possibly help with the case is to examine the facts objectively as one would a mathematical problem.

1. two sets of car keys (or at least a door key) = possible;
2. abducted while sitting in car = possible;
3. targeted for expected wealth (+ jealousy factors?) = possible.

respectfully snipped

Walker, agree about outside the box thinking. Here's my take on your themes.

Two sets of keys. LE says she didn't have keys. If the car was parked in the JPJ lot and she had keys, why was she wandering away? If the car was parked elsewhere, perhaps. Agree it's possible, since we don't know where the car was parked.

Abducted while sitting in car. Only if this was after reports of her hitchhiking or if those reports are false, right? The continuing focus on something happening at her car flies in the face of this "official" fact, imho.

Targeted for expected wealth. While this could be a stretch, I agree that outside the box approaches merit consideration, especially if they haven't been considered. Motivation for profit is obviously one of the key things that could lead to something like a disappearance, but it would seem to me that then there would be a ransom request...it seems more likely to me, to extend your scenario, that someone would try to prevent her from collecting something (e.g., by turning 21) that would otherwise go to him/her. Plus the whole "was she overdrawn" thread suggests that independent wealth is not a current feature of her life. Someone may have perceived her that way, but I would think more for her jewelry, camera, cash, and belongings that night and the immediate gain than for extortion or ransom (which I think is what you were suggesting). I think a robbery/mugging gone bad after MH was reported hitchhiking is certainly plausible, but I doubt it was for inheritance reasons. moo.

Knock off the personal attacks, people.

Respond to what is posted, not to the poster.

Thanks,

Hoppy

Walker, agree about outside the box thinking. Here's my take on your themes.

Two sets of keys. LE says she didn't have keys. If the car was parked in the JPJ lot and she had keys, why was she wandering away? If the car was parked elsewhere, perhaps. Agree it's possible, since we don't know where the car was parked.

LE only said that someone inside the arena had a set of her keys. How could they rule out the possibility that she had an extra set of keys or a door key with her?

We definitely do not know where her car was parked; but if it were in the Emmett/Ivy Parking garage, her route that night leaving the arena would make perfect sense.

Targeted for expected wealth. While this could be a stretch, I agree that outside the box approaches merit consideration, especially if they haven't been considered.

If someone came up with a theory that Elizabeth Smart had been abducted by a crazed street preacher who wanted her for a second wife, they would probably have been ridiculed; that is, until she was actually found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18