Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also hope they do this test. This is a critical piece of information, and it is imperative that the public receive the most accurate information possible. With a cunning and slippery perpetrator like this, we need every detail available in order to accurately assess potential suspects.

Now what would make the local police tell the public they have no need to worry? Can someone offer some insight about that?

FYI

Va. to Begin Taking DNA After Arrests For Felonies; Prosecutors, Rights Activists Split on Database Expansion

January 1, 2003

Virginia is to begin collecting DNA samples today from anyone charged with a violent felony, launching the most aggressive effort in the country to catalogue genetic samples of people not yet convicted of crimes.

Under a law passed last year, a saliva or tissue sample is to be taken from anyone arrested and charged with such crimes as murder, rape and assault. The DNA profiles of those arrested will be entered into the state's DNA database -- along with the profiles of convicted felons -- for comparison with evidence gathered at crime scenes.

Also any person arrested for a federal crime is subject to DNA sampling under the Violence Against Women law of 2006.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-232095.html

Virginia Code sections 19.2-310.2 through 19.2-310.7:

19.2-310.2. Blood, saliva or tissue sample required for DNA analysis upon conviction of a felony; fee.

19.2-310.2:1. Saliva or tissue sample required for DNA analysis after arrest for a violent felony.

http://www.ncstl.org/search/results/view/28238?category=4
http://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/...teLawsonDNADataBanks/tabid/12737/Default.aspx

http://www.dnaresource.com/documents/statequalifyingoffenses2007.pdf

I didn't hear about this until this morning...I was half asleep when i heard it on the news. I guess her name woke me!

This case has always bothered me, and I am thinking about Morgan every day, hoping they catch the monster that did this to her:(

If they have his DNA, then they can tell his race - but only through a separate, expensive and very controversial test.

Here's some articles relating to said testing:

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/magazine/16-01/ps_dna

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/10/dnaprint?currentPage=all

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-16-dna_x.htm

From top link:
------------ x ---------------
Tony Clayton, a black man and a prosecutor who tried one of the Baton Rouge murder cases, concedes the benefits of the test: "Had it not been for Frudakis, we would still be looking for the white guy in the white pickup." Nevertheless, Clayton says he dislikes anything that implies we don't all "bleed the same blood." He adds, "If I could push a button and make this technology disappear, I would."
------------ x ---------------

Wow.

I am speechless.

A proven tool, not used because it might offend people?!

:banghead:

well we finally got something back on the dna good news at last.well sleuthers we can all check SO databases to look for possible suspects.its likely or not he could be a SO with no dna on file.im not sure if LE can run a national database search for possibles or not.but we can look at every county in the U.S. the sad part is he very well may not be in the database i will be keeping my fingers crossed.the good feeling i have is this monster now knows the cage is beginning to close in.he may be able to hide for awhile but not forever.im sure he has other crimes other than these two so time will tell.everyone have a great 4th.and above all JUSTICE FOR MORGAN.

I am wondering about the Showalter case? I wonder if any dna found from this murder also be involved with this guy? That case is also unsolved.
I don't understand why the use of a tool so great could be excluded because it costs to much!! When there is no problem spending billions on space travel...and war..and hookers ..and...ok I'll stop...
The knowledge that if you commit a crime and your dna..fingerprints are put in a central unit that can spit out perps..sounds like the way to go....people would consider their out come a little more if they knew...it would be that much easier to find and convict them.
The killing of children and people in general has just got out of control.! You can't pick up a paper without reading some horrific story about some father or mother killing and abusing their child or mass killings..etc..why can't we just choose to get along?Just do the right thing...it's that simple...do what you should do to better our way of life and I"ll help...
Our big blue and green ball we live on has everything needed to produce happy,full people...plenty of food to feed everyone...rubies,gold,silver,diamonds..just laying in the earth..no need for poverty...why can't we just share?
These killings,such a waste of resources...such a total waste of life,beauty,creatativity...so sad...Let's start a movement...spend money to protect our citizens...if dna can single out criminals and put them away so we are protected..I would rather see the money spent on that than for more "haircuts on Airforce one" sic...
People of this earth unite..learn to see beyond the physical..and work to better our life and the generations to follow...time to stop thinking "this place is not my home,I'm just a passing through" this mentality has ruined our water...air and resources....
If you believe we can change contact me..Ill do what ever ...we need to be civilized again.

Police: 50+ Harrington Tips Received after Release of Sketch

05+fairfax+assault+suspect1.JPG

Following the release of the sketch on Thursday, many people said they haven't seen the wanted poster.

"This should be plastered all over those places, everywhere," said Matthew Hines, referencing key places in the Harrington case.

In North Garden, where Anchorage Farm is located, no posters have been posted, but police are hoping people in Albemarle County will pay close attention to the picture, as investigators remain confident the suspect is familiar with the North Garden area.

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/97683674.html

I was looking at a few possibles here (Virginia Wanted SOs), and some of them does not seem to have their DNA on file.
It says "DNA: NEEDED".

Off-topic: My apologies for breaking TOS in my last post, everyone is here for Morgan and I didn´t mean to be rude to anyone.

I'm not sure what post you're referring to (rude) - I totally let cases like this get the best of me...and I'm sure it was someone else, but just in case, I didn't think you were rude. I appreciate that you distinguished the difference....I just wanted to tell you thanks! =)

Not just convicted, arrested.

Virginia May Collect DNA in Every Arrest for a Felony
By FRANCIS X. CLINES
Published: February 17, 2002

RICHMOND, Va., Feb. 11 — Virginia is on the verge of making a quantum leap in amassing DNA evidence by requiring that everyone arrested on suspicion of a violent crime yield genetic samples for possible matches in unsolved cases.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/17/national/17DNA.html?pagewanted=1?pagewanted=1

Hey guys, it seems as though they only collect DNA on sex offenders who were convicted of FELONIES.

The guy I'm looking at, and about whom I informed VSP, was convicted of a high misdemeanor sexual battery, so his DNA might not be on file.

The knowledge that if you commit a crime and your dna..fingerprints are put in a central unit that can spit out perps..sounds like the way to go....

The problem with DNA is that it is so easy to frame someone. The real perp(s) could just follow any individual whom they know has a history, and then take some item he has discarded (like a can of soda), and plant the DNA from it at the scene. If the DNA came from the tee shirt, one wonders how the perp was smart enough to know about cell pings, but would deliberately place the tee where it could be found? But, even if he is being framed, this individual might still know something valuable to the case. The 2005 crime might have been a gang initiation.

I was looking at a few possibles here (Virginia Wanted SOs), and some of them does not seem to have their DNA on file.
It says "DNA: NEEDED".

Off-topic: My apologies for breaking TOS in my last post, everyone is here for Morgan and I didn´t mean to be rude to anyone.
Your kind words are appreciated. I wasn't here and don't know what went on. LOL However, welcome to WS! We look forward to more post from you, Morgan's thread(s) have been so quiet until recently. We welcome newbies!
icon7.gif

I hope they will do that test now especially with him being tied to the murder of Morgan.
:(

I certainly agree, Evelyn. Although I'm not positive they will, especially if the test if really expensive. Does anyone know how accurate these types of tests are (percentage wise)?

O/T but I love your 'avatars'. Hot chocolate in the winter that looked delicious, and now for the summer a cold pitcher of lemonade. Love it!

Thank you arielilane and Truthful Lies.
I´ve been "lurking" here a long time and let´s just say it´s frustrating when nothing happens in these cases,
and everyone deals with it differently.

I just hope they find this guy SOON. And hopefully not after he´s done it again, which I think he will. : (

The recon picture does make him appear to be of mixed descent -- but the blood test indicated African American. Oh yeah, he'll kill again, and I think he's responsible for other missing women up and down the east coast. Alas if we can't locate these remains no testing can be done. He's a cunning SOB, and confident in his ability to catch his prey either without others seeing and/or in getting away before police can catch him. Dangerous, evil and wicked.

The recon picture does make him appear to be of mixed descent -- but the blood test indicated African American. Oh yeah, he'll kill again, and I think he's responsible for other missing women up and down the east coast. Alas if we can't locate these remains no testing can be done. He's a cunning SOB, and confident in his ability to catch his prey either without others seeing and/or in getting away before police can catch him. Dangerous, evil and wicked.

Something about him looks familiar. Like I've seen a similar sketch on somebody else's thread.

I am so happy that we have movement in this case. I hope that the 50+ leads they have since they released the sketch will lead to an arrest soon. I bet if they did collect the DNA from every violent offender in Virginia they would find him.

Thank you arielilane and Truthful Lies.
I´ve been "lurking" here a long time and let´s just say it´s frustrating when nothing happens in these cases,
and everyone deals with it differently.

I just hope they find this guy SOON. And hopefully not after he´s done it again, which I think he will. : (

Hi, Alice. Welcome to the ranks of the former lurkers. You are right--it is very frustrating when nothing happens. Now, at least there is a bit of movement in Morgan's case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member