Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This quote,

Investigators are also mum on what piece of forensic evidence links the two cases, though they did say the evidence—which they didn't have following the sex assault in 2005—allowed them to create a sketch of the suspect in the Fairfax case and subsequently the Harrington case

from the link I just posted, puzzles me. Are they saying that evidence they gathered from Morgan's case allowed them to create this sketch? I could be reading this wrong, but they say it wasn't the evidence from the Fairfax case. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

The 2005 victim could have assisted in creating a sketch regardless of any evidence in MH's case; but maybe they found MH's camera.

I'm thinking that maybe they have surveillance video from around the concert area showing this guy. An African American might stand out at a Metallica concert. The rape victim knew the rapist was African American, LE shows her the footage and she picks him out.

The 2005 victim could have assisted in creating a sketch regardless of any evidence in MH's case; but maybe they found MH's camera.

Yes, Walker, that would seem to be the clearest answer available. However, if that were the case, it doesn't seem like this quote:

"...though they did say the evidence—which they didn't have following the sex assault in 2005—allowed them to create a sketch of the suspect in the Fairfax case..."

would make sense.

They clearly say that they did not have to evidence after the 2005 incident. The victim would have been able to provide a sketch after, right? I mean, if it is to be suggested at all that this is the guy, it seems her account of him is playing some role.

From the quote I provided, it seems we need to think about this: what evidence can investigators possibly have NOW, but that they did not have then, that allowed them to draw a sketch. Hmmm... :waitasec:

The victim most likely did not get a good look at his face, but knew race, beard and size ect. Then they find footage of a guy resembling the description and now they have his face. That's what I'm guessing.

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/98116774.html

From the article....
"Police have said the forensic evidence does not name the man in the sketch as the murderer, but he does have some link to Harrington."

"Finally, police say canvassing the area and showing the sketch to people would not be a good use of resources. They say summertime students at the University of Virginia are a new and different crowd, and these students would likely not have many tips.

While they aren't canvassing, police say they do believe they've gotten the information out there to those who need to know it."

My question is....Who has gotten the "information" and what is the information? I assume they are not talking about the sketch because they didn't want to release it in the first place.

I get the feeling they know who this guy is and they're trying to get evidence on him.

The victim most likely did not get a good look at his face, but knew race, beard and size ect. Then they find footage of a guy resembling the description and now they have his face. That's what I'm guessing.

Perhaps he is visible in the footage from the 7-11 where MH went just before the abduction ...

Yes, Walker, that would seem to be the clearest answer available. However, if that were the case, it doesn't seem like this quote:

would make sense.

They clearly say that they did not have to evidence after the 2005 incident. The victim would have been able to provide a sketch after, right? I mean, if it is to be suggested at all that this is the guy, it seems her account of him is playing some role.

From the quote I provided, it seems we need to think about this: what evidence can investigators possibly have NOW, but that they did not have then, that allowed them to draw a sketch. Hmmm... :waitasec:
The only answer I can come up with is, maybe they had a sketch, but didn't have DNA (from the 2005 attack) until some time (maybe years) later. There is a huge back log in DNA processing in most states, Virginia included. At any rate, it looks like this guy has not been convicted of a violent crime (at least not in the past 10 years or so), his DNA would be in the system with a name attached, if that were the case.

I had no idea there were all these serial rapists operating in Virginia. I have lived in Fairfax County for a number of years and had never heard of the east coast rapist, route 29 stalker or colonial parkway murders until looking into this case.

However the sketch is dated 9/26/05. I think the article may have just worded the quote in a strange way. Good thinking outside the box though.

This quote,

from the link I just posted, puzzles me. Are they saying that evidence they gathered from Morgan's case allowed them to create this sketch? I could be reading this wrong, but they say it wasn't the evidence from the Fairfax case. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

If they knew who he was then they would get his DNA and arrest him, as was done with grim sleeper, Drew Plantin, ect.

Does anyone know the name or address for the apartments where the shirt was found. My own pet POI lived in apartments near the John Paul Jones arena, until he was recently incarcerated (according to the sex offender registry). He LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE the sketch, too!

Weren't the apartments located at 15th and Grady?

It appears his MO is to attack women at random who are out on a secluded area and incapacitated in some way (carrying groceries, inebriated) and not so much on the prowl for a certain look or feature like Ted Bundy preferred...

I agree he wanted it found.... There is a dumpster across the street from the bush where the t-shirt was found...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...51&ll=38.039946,-78.49751&spn=0,0.001316&z=20

enter Grady Ave & 15th St NW, Charlottesville, Virginia 22903 on google maps

and take the little yellow guy down to the street and take a look around...

Bump of the map where tee shirt was found.

If they knew who he was then they would get his DNA and arrest him, as was done with grim sleeper, Drew Plantin, ect.

In this case it might not be enough. If the DNA is associated with the t-shirt, it's far from conclusive as to whether it has anything to do with Morgan's murder. It could have been lying around someone's apartment being used as a rag before it was found.

In this case it might not be enough. If the DNA is associated with the t-shirt, it's far from conclusive as to whether it has anything to do with Morgan's murder. It could have been lying around someone's apartment being used as a rag before it was found.
Hi, I thought I heard Breaking News this afternoon they had found her remains in a field. Well, they are speculating it is her.

My mind has been on Kyron's case but thought that is what I heard. xox

I agree, the two sketches look very similar. And to the person(s) who brought up the East Coast Rapist -- I would like to assume that a DNA comparison was done in the 2005 assault. Too much to hope for? What do you think? Also, I wish I knew what the other victims look like, to see if this cretin has a "type" he goes after. I wish we could figure out what he does for a living -- and -- I think, at this point (if they haven't done so already), there should be a group that specifically looks into all cases of missing young women in the east coast area. How do we know this perpetrator wasn't in South Carolina at any point? The truth is, we don't know where he has been. I am not surprised the farmer did not recognize him, because I think he is skillful at altering his look. Also, I think he is adept at sizing up opportunities to keep hidden when committing his heinous deeds -- for example -- finding a remote, hidden area in the dark of night on a rural farm
I would think that LE has done a DNA comparison between the east coast rapist and the oxford row rapist (the one that is linked to Morgan's case). There seem to be some similarities between all of these cases....or at least that's my opinion.

The following gives some information on the ethnicity of the rape victim in 2005...

“We both noticed marks around her neck,” says Jenkins, who says the woman told them her assailant had choked her until she lost consciousness. “She thought she was going to die, then all of a sudden, she came to, and he wasn’t there,” says Jenkins, mentioning the passerby who scared the attacker away— perhaps in the nick of time.

Jenkins says her son returned with a man and a woman who comforted the victim, and the three communicated in what she believes was Urdu— a language primarily spoken by Muslims in India and Pakistan. The young woman “felt more comfortable speaking in her language,” says Jenkins, who says she never saw the young woman again but heard she had moved in with family somewhere nearby.

http://www.readthehook.com/blog/ind...irfax-case-connection-offers-hope-fresh-fear/

Hi, I thought I heard Breaking News this afternoon they had found her remains in a field. Well, they are speculating it is her.

My mind has been on Kyron's case but thought that is what I heard. xox

BBM. I must be reading this wrong.

Are you referring to Morgan? They DID find Morgan's remains in a field. Almost 6 months ago...

The tee shirt has Morgan's DNA and a rapist's DNA.. No this was the killer who left the shirt for someone to see. I don't think he thought it would be tied to him, but it is. This will be his downfall and he will be caught.

Yes, how much DNA could one find on the back of the seat where MH sat in the JPJ arena? Or what if MH washed her clothes in a public laundramat? Plus, the suspect could have been framed.

Still, the coincidence is very strong. Even if the suspect were framed, he might know who was trying to frame him --- which makes me wonder if he isn't already dead.

Could LE do DNA tests on murder victims meeting the criteria cited in the "wanted" poster who were killed during the time period (for example) 10/17/09 - 11/11/09, when the tee appeared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member