Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have stated before, this case, like NO Other, reminds of the Nat. Holloway case. For Many reasons.........
I'm wondering if LE has thourghly interviewed all of the bands "roadies" and etc. WHAT IF, while standing in the bathroom line, she met a guy who "claimed" to be with the band and able to get her a meeting with them.? Why else would she have left the building before the band started to play???????????????? And another question, wasn't she tracked as to moving around the perimeter of the arena, in that bus parking lot....could the band's Bus have been parked there or could some guy have convinced her that it was even if it wasn't? Or her home computer will tell all, a meeting with an online boy????????

Not to discount the roadie/backstage entrance hypothesis, as I think it's a plausible one for what might have happened after MH was outside the arena, but according to a UVA spokesperson earlier (not LE), the Lannigan Field lot is used for R.V.s during sporting events, but reserved for athletes who have lost their regular parking to arena goers at JPJ events.

This explains (to me at least) why the eyewitnesses who had a brief interaction with MH in the Lannigan Field lot left in their own vehicles (plural according to LE) shortly afterward...they were not likely there for the concert.

It makes sense to me, though I don't know this, that buses and equipment trucks for the bands would be parked behind JPJ, away from where MH was seen walking. fwiw.

respectfully snipped

Any ideas why the person who dropped/threw the phone did not take the entire phone?

MOO.

People have said that this could be to avoid "pings" on cell towers as a locating device, but with the battery out maybe that doesn't make sense.

Battery -

1) could have fallen out of phone, upon dropping or because of a broken back cover (this or something with battery happens frequently, according to DH), but was the cover back on the phone when it was found?

2) was consciously taken out by MH (to avoid pinging or to avoid running low battery down further...mine searches for reception constantly and runs down the battery)

3) was consciously taken out by someone other than MH (pinging avoidance and/or preventing MH from contacting someone and/or to dispose of photos or other evidence), but was SIM card also gone when it was found?

that's all I can surmise as options...any others?

An ametuer who had some reason to panic and hurt Morgan may not have thought all of this out........he(?) removed the battery and he(?) succeeded somewhat in that no further calls could come in or out. WAS the SIM card intact? If so, LE has more info than they are letting on...........and the whole "morgan calling her friend with the non-chalant comment, I've been locked out....no worries....I'll find a ride home or I'll meet you after the show" is SUCH BS it's not even funny!!!!!! HOW in the world did her so called "friends" buy this story??? Reminds me of the saying "with friends like these, who needs enemies". Her "friends" let her down. SHAME ON THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JMHO

Small point of clarification, with which I don't mean to take anything away from your points. The call at 8:48 was placed by one of the friends when MH didn't return from wherever she was going (smoking, bathroom, mistaken exit, unknown meeting), not by MH. LE adds that there were no further calls sent/received before 9:30 (but apparently there was unrevealed texting).

People have said that this could be to avoid "pings" on cell towers as a locating device, but with the battery out maybe that doesn't make sense.

Battery -

1) could have fallen out of phone, upon dropping or because of a broken back cover (this or something with battery happens frequently, according to DH), but was the cover back on the phone when it was found?

2) was consciously taken out by MH (to avoid pinging or to avoid running low battery down further...mine searches for reception constantly and runs down the battery)

3) was consciously taken out by someone other than MH (pinging avoidance and/or preventing MH from contacting someone and/or to dispose of photos or other evidence), but was SIM card also gone when it was found?

that's all I can surmise as options...any others?

Thanks for your reply! Very good question about the battery cover...was it found in place in the phone? Was it found anywhere in the area? Is it still missing?

Please, what is a SIM card? I assume "sim" is the short form of "simulation," but beyond that I haven't a clue. Does my Nokia (purchased ~2006) have one? TIA.

I agree that Morgan was probably an anorectic. My youngest sis is Morgan's age, and became anorectic her sophomore year of high school. She (my sis) initially had a curvier body type like Morgan's in the earlier photos, and after the eating disorder had a body that looked a lot like Morgan's in the prom photo (that hollow cheeked, kind of anemic look). I will also say that due to her anorexia my sister ended up changing schools herself, just for a "fresh start" kind of thing, so I think this is a viable reason that Morgan would have changed schools. It would also account for Morgan blacking out. My sister would drink way too much too fast and black out, cry, scream, and the next morning would remember nothing about it. Just my experience with the disease - it is very common these days - and it would account for Morgan changing schools, as well as her low tolerance for alcohol/drugs/behavior at the concert. Not, I guess, that this is really any of our business, but if Morgan was still having eating issues it would give some insight into her mental state and also her likelihood toward either going off with someone or running away. (Not giving up hope yet that she's not alive - I still think it's a strong possibility.)

Thanks for your reply! Very good question about the battery cover...was it found in place in the phone? Was it found anywhere in the area? Is it still missing?

Please, what is a SIM card? I assume "sim" is the short form of "simulation," but beyond that I haven't a clue. Does my Nokia (purchased ~2006) have one? TIA.

My answer will be the short version, as I am tech. challenged, but, modern cell phones have this tiny chip thingy inside called a SIM card. It's a "memory card" of sorts. Around 2005, my cell phone company MADE me upgrade my cell phone (I had a basic old Nokia too) cause they claimed ALL phones had to have a SIM.......guessing your 2006 Nokia has a Sim card.

I've asked over and over, but no one here knows....about whether Morgan's phone, found missing it's battery was also missing it's battery cover????????

SIM - Subscriber Identity Module.

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid40_gci1230028,00.html

Talking with little knowledge here, but I believe the SIM card is the "guts" of a cell phone/smart phone, and is analogous to your phone's home locale. In other words, one option for placing local calls in a foreign country is to buy a SIM card when you get there and swap it in. If I recall, U.S. phones buried their SIM cards, at least in the past, making it hard to do this, while it was standard practice on Asian and European phones. Maybe it's different now or with certain phones, but since we don't know the make/model of MH's phone, it's kind of academic. Without a SIM, though, phone won't work.

Are pictures stored on the SIM or elsewhere in a phone? Can you access them without the SIM, if stored elsewhere on the phone?

My answer will be the short version, as I am tech. challenged, but, modern cell phones have this tiny chip thingy inside called a SIM card. It's a "memory card" of sorts. Around 2005, my cell phone company MADE me upgrade my cell phone (I had a basic old Nokia too) cause they claimed ALL phones had to have a SIM.......guessing your 2006 Nokia has a Sim card.

I've asked over and over, but no one here knows....about whether Morgan's phone, found missing it's battery was also missing it's battery cover????????

No info that I have seen on this whatsoever. Battery is the only thing I've heard was missing.

i know that the last few phones that i have had the battery is part of the phone - there is no separate cover ...

Thanks for the blink on crime reference (that I can't quote for some reason), but the link didn't work for me. I can try to find it in a search, but just wanted to let you know that.

[Update: Reference has now been deleted? Did it violate a rule/term of service?]

If you post a link and it has stars in the link then it is a site that cannot be posted here. HTH

I know LE has asked for people to look in their own personal photos from the concert to look for Morgan but I have to wonder how many people still don't know about Morgan's disappearance. IMO, I think it would be worthwhile to send out a letter to all of the ticket holders asking for them to look through their photos. Not sure if LE can do this or if they can get addresses from whoever sold the tickets but someone HAS to have caught her on film! I cannot believe that she was not captured in a picture anywhere or seen in security video. This really bugs me.

I keep going back to the supposed sighting the next day at the Sheetz in Orange. While no Amtrak trains were running, and none that do stop at Orange, the tracks from Charlottesville do end up there after about 30 miles. From the Orange train depot to Sheetz is under .6 miles. Buckingham Branch Railroad uses that track for freight, but from what I can discern only M-F.

Also, Orange is at the juncture of 15 and 20, two routes north out of Charlottesville and its surrounding areas (the southeast portion, near Comfort Inn, State Farm Drive, Pantops Mountain, new Martha Jefferson construction site...names familiar from earlier searches by LE, or Boyd Tavern, Woolen Mills, Rivanna river...names coming up in some of the psychic stuff) both of which bisect 33, which would be the road to Harrisonburg/JMU from there if catching a ride. 33 crosses both south of Orange, but if one missed the turnoff, they'd end up in Orange. And 15 is the "James Madison Highway," so maybe it's easy to assume that takes you to JMU.

But, if there was an abductor, why would she be allowed to be alone outside the Sheetz, and why wasn't she (nor the eyewitness) seen on video?

Finally, now there's a kid coming forward to say he and his dad spotted MH at the Metallica concert in Charlotte that Sunday night (the same day as the supposed Orange sighting), with a guy and a younger girl, but there's no official confirmation of either of these sightings, and they occurred 301.33 miles apart.

Battery: My son's phone the battery is attached to the cover. She may have had a phone that did not have a seperate back, and the battery just came off.

sim card: not all companies use sims cards.. I know sprint does not. We now have at&t and they use sims cards. you can set your phone settings to save pictures and contact info to the sim card or the enternal phone memory. so if she had a phone with a sims card there could be info on the card or the phone. If the card is in the phone then they would be able to replace the battery and download all info from the phone.
if she had sprint or another phone service that did not use sims cards then they can put a battery in the phone and download all te info.

So the only like hood that LE does not have the info from the phone is if the sims card was missing from the phone.

I want to say that all text massages are stored on a server somewhere (at least for awhile they must have to periodically delete them) so regardless of the condition of the phone they should be able to get that information. I'm not sure this is true but I think i've read more than once of this being done. Does anyone know for sure?

o yeah, le singe, i think i remember that from the casey anthony case. great point!

hi nervouse nellie,

yes, i do have more thoughts about this theory. let me try to tread very lightly here, but the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when i read a post about a witness to morgan's illness at the concert. i cannot recall if it was here or on facebook, but it seemed odd...and could be intended as a red herring. it has been said by morgan's family and friends that she was not feeling that well, went to the bathroom, and/or went for a smoke. none of them or any other witnesses spoke of seeing her visibly sick (i guess like throwing up or acting like she was about to)...we have heard of possible witnesses seeing her stumble. that is different than seeing her sick. anyway, this weird poster said he/she was speaking for a school administrator (they did not say teacher) that was sitting in the same area as morgan and friends. said person witnessed morgan so sick that her friends had to assist her out of the seating area. huh. ok. poster said the witness did not want to post personally bc of their position. ok. then the poster said something about the fact that this witness has more credibility because of working in a school with students and being accustomed to seeing diff behavior. i don't know. seems a little hinky.

again, anyone sitting in the same area in the arena as morgan and the girls could possibly be in photos that le want to keep under wraps.

all of this is my very own opinion and i am not pointing fingers at the supposed school administrator. the person could be make believe for all i know

Yes, the SIM card will contain contacts, text messages, videos, photos, basically anything stored on her phone. If a replacement battery is put in, it should work.
Also if she has a cell phone contract (not sure about prepaid phones) the phone company would provide her call records to LE.
The removal of the battery sounds like something a perp would do so that the phone couldn't be pinged and also to buy time in finding out what calls went out or came in on that phone.

No info that I have seen on this whatsoever. Battery is the only thing I've heard was missing.

Which is weird, it's as if someone took out the battery and then replaced the cover. So if it does have a back cover for the battery, it would kind of rule out the battery just falling out and morgan not realizing as the back cover would still be on the phone. If battery and cover fell, why not just pick up both?
I think a perp took the battery out.

It's interesting searchers were told to look for a camera. Morgan may have had a digital camera that is missing. She could have a camera cell phone and a digital camera. The cell phone was found, minus battery. Camera wasn't found.
I really think she was abducted and he took her camera and the battery as "precautions". We have no idea if she had her camera out and may have gotten a shot of the culprit..

My 2 cents about the phone battery is this. I have Verizon & my last phone there was a battery cover but if you dropped it the cover would come off & it didn't take much for the battery to come out. Depending on what kind of phone she had & how long she had it (meaning my battery & cover always loosen over time) they battery could have fallen out by accident.

I am 32 so I am a decade older than Morgan but most of my friends are between 25 - 35 -- I would think most college students have phones that have web access since almost all of my friends do. I believe from what I read about her family - MH would have had a very nice - up to date cell phone w/ web capability. That being said - I get emails from my friend's cell phones all the time when they meant to text my cell phone. I wonder if her email account has been checked for outgoing messages that night.

Hi All.

Frusturating day. Starbucks shops all over Arlington have taken down the Missing Posters I gave them.

I really think she was abducted by a stranger. Oddly enough 24 girls are missing form Alexandria, VA...a 16 year old went missing from Woodbridge a few days ago...these places are about 2 hours from Charlottesville. I wonder if something bigger is going on...is there a ring of criminals taking these girls?

Is the FBI involved? I read on another post that the FBI will get involved in certain cases that fall under their "jurisdiction" meaning that if it has to do with organized crime (which could be a part of human trafficking) or gangs.

I wish they would find poor Morgan. I am so frusturated, I can't imagine how her family and friends must feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeMi2019