Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamfish, you bring up a very good point, and if it is the case, that would explain her friends actions that night.
The lack of buddy system, worrying, and just accepting the that she said she would find a ride back home.

If she was a type like that and they were used to behavior from her that is similiar, then possibly they wouldn't think that much about her leaving them.

IMO, especially this day and age with more media coverage and known crimes and the population larger (more crimes) i would still look out for the "wild child" just in case, especially since they were wilder out of the bunch and may need an extra eye. I'm not making excuses for her friends, however if there needs to be an "excuse" what you describe is very fitting.

Thanks. And by "wild child" I don't mean my friend was out breaking the law, doing drugs, going crazy. She was just adventurous, somewhat of a rebel, a bit of a rule-breaker. She was willing to try things the rest of us hesitated about (skipping school, for example).

This is the only way I can resolve the friends not seeming concerned about MH. I don't feel there was anything malicious about it at all. Just relating it to my own experience and circle of girlfriends.... if I were the one left outside and didn't show up for the ride home? My friends would have immediately called someone..... the police, my parents... someone. But had it been our beloved little rebel? Nah... we'd have assumed she figured something out, we'd catch up with her later and she'd tell us the whole crazy tale.

I came across an article which elaborates a little better on the context of the phone call between Morgan and her friends:

"Harrington left her seat during the concert to go to the bathroom, her friends told police officers, but then ended up outside. She was denied reentry to the arena between 8:20 and 8:30 p.m., because she did not have her ticket stub. Bystander reports place her outside the arena near the ticket booths until 8:48 p.m.
At that time, he said, one of her friends inside the arena called her, and Harrington informed her of the situation. Her friend suggested other points of entry to the arena that Harrington might try to access, but Harrington then indicated to her friend that if she could not reenter, she would try to find a ride home from friends who live in Charlottesville, Rader said.
Multiple witnesses reported seeing someone matching Harrington’s description in the vicinity of the exterior of the arena as late as 9 p.m., Rader said."
http://www.cavalierdaily.com/2009/10...99s-movements/

The sentence I highlighted in red further convinces me that I may have this pegged right.

I keep reading and rolling this case around in my brain. It certainly is confusing and mystifying... :(

I read that too and I'm not sure what to think about it. Any theories?

I do remember reading that Morgan was seen with the bb players across from Lanigan field lot so it makes sense that her purse was found at the Cage Lot where she WAS with them. Now I wonder if she made it to the bridge at all.

She might have left with one of them. JMO

I was wondering if we know what time the pruse was found and what time the calls were made. The purse was found by a maintenance man - what if he took the battery when he found the phone and purse? Then the phone would have rang until whatever time the purse was turned in. :waitasec:

This is the first I've seen any identity of who found the purse. Where did you see/hear it was a maintenance man?

Separately, if it was found in the Cage parking lot, as opposed to Lannigan Field parking, that's a difference of at least 100 yards, and is much further from the bridge.

So, unless MH dropped or left her purse there before walking with the bb players to Lannigan Field parking and hitchhiking on the bridge, it was placed, dropped, or thrown there sometime later. People parking in the Cage lot that night would have been concert goers (that's why the athletes were displaced and had to park at Lannigan), and it's strange that nobody else would have seen the purse after the concert. Makes me think it was put there much later, fwiw...

Edited to add: Okay, so I just looked at the map again. Depending on where the purse was found in the Cage parking lot (if indeed it was found there), it could have been very close to the railroad tracks or to the apartments that are right there...but it doesn't look to me like it could have been very close to the bridge, or to Copeley Road, nor in a place where an abductor could have thrown it from a moving vehicle (e.g., on Copeley).

In most articles i've read it's said that the purse was found in the grassy overflow area of Lannigan Field.

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=11402082
"9:10 pm - 9:20 pm - Lannigan Field Area - Between 9:10 and 9:20 she was spotted in the Lannigan Field grassy parking lot, which is also where her purse was found. She appeared to be with or near a group of people. They left without her."

The timeline is outlined by the VSP (Virginia State Police).

Sighting #5 of her is right around the same area in Lannigan Field where her purse was found.

If you want to take into consideration #6 on the bridge, being the last sighting if it is true; then possibility someone grabbed her purse in the Field area (causing one of the straps to tear if that is true) and she ran towards Copeley Bridge Rd area to get away from a perp (giving a scenario here)
Possibly while going that way the perp got into a car and either picked her up near the bridge, or somewhere past that point.
or
She never made it to the bridge to begin with and possibly the sighting is false. Unless she is on video, i'm not sure what to make of all the sightings. If they have several different witnesses who've seen her and don't know each other and they describe her down to a science with info that wasn't released that police know, they possible some sightings are accurate.

This is the first I've seen any identity of who found the purse. Where did you see/hear it was a maintenance man?

Separately, if it was found in the Cage parking lot, as opposed to Lannigan Field parking, that's a difference of at least 100 yards, and is much further from the bridge.

So, unless MH dropped or left her purse there before walking with the bb players to Lannigan Field parking and hitchhiking on the bridge, it was placed, dropped, or thrown there sometime later. People parking in the Cage lot that night would have been concert goers (that's why the athletes were displaced and had to park at Lannigan), and it's strange that nobody else would have seen the purse after the concert. Makes me think it was put there much later, fwiw...

I am trying to find where i read that. I have read so much and heard so much I may be crossing wires...although I don't think so. Sorry to add something without a quote. I try to be really good about that.

I'm pretty sure that the purse was found at Lannigan but I believe the call and turnover of the purse to LE was at the Cage ....

I am trying to find where i read that. I have read so much and heard so much I may be crossing wires...although I don't think so. Sorry to add something without a quote. I try to be really good about that.

It would make sense it would be a maintance man, as they are there working starting in the morning to make sure things are in good condition, cleaned up etc. Even on a Sunday, the area would need to be readied for Monday.

I will accept that a maintance man found the purse and turned it in, it is a logical scenario.
The only other type person i could see who would have the possible potential to find it is an early morning jogger around the track.

Maintance man on grounds finding it would explain why it was found so quickly and turned in.

I'm pretty sure that the purse was found at Lannigan but I believe the call and turnover of the purse to LE was at the Cage ....

It was originally found at the Lannigan Field area, near where sighting #5 of Morgan was, according to LE.

..sometimes that blink site has inaccurate info..

IMO, maybe the more important question is how did her pocketbook/purse get there to begin with?
Rather than who turned it in. I would think if there was any question about the person who found it, LE would have said something by now. They did turn it in as soon as it was found, all in a reasonable length of time.

How did her purse get there? That is the big question, how and why?
Did she do it?
Did a perp leave it there?
Was it there due to a struggle or something else?

From what it sounds like not everything was in her pocketbook/purse and LE are still looking for some more articles..

When somebody goes missing there is always something. A disgruntled husband or boyfriend. A shady past. Employment. And then there are the clues. The phone call, the he said she said.

What makes this case so very mysterious is there is none of that. No stalker. No family problems. No employer.

She had a loving family, friends and a bright future. She was a young girl living her life.

It is like somebody said earlier Morgan seems to have vanished into thin air.

There is a similiar case of a missing girl who "vanished" in Canada right now; Mariam Makhniashvili, all the evidence of that one is her bookbag that was found..

It's very doubtful the cases are related, however both only evidence of bookbag/pocket books left behind and that is it.

Hi everyone, I've spent the last few weeks reading over all of these threads. I don't have much to add, I think a lot of good ideas and thoughts have been thrown around here.

In regard to closed rest stops, there are two (one on the north side and one on the south side) closed at mile marker 232 on I-81 which is between the I-64/I-81 interchange and Harrisonburg to the North (where JMU is).

There is also one closed at mile marker 158 on I-81 which is between the I-64/I-81 interchange and Blacksburg to the South (where Virginia Tech is).

Here is a map of the status of rest stops all over the state: http://virginiadot.org/travel/map-rest-area.asp

I also wanted to add that I was up on Skyline Drive November 1st and there seemed to be more ranger activity than usual. I've visited a few times this summer/fall and had not seen anyone patrolling the area (specifically overlooks) before. Driving through, yes. Pausing at various overlooks, no. This definitely could be a coincidence. I'm going back up tomorrow or Sunday so I'll take note.

Lastly, I was pleased to see today that someone in the Harrisonburg Walmart parking lot had taped a Missing poster to the back of their car.

read your source more carefully your statement is incorrect.

Fyi the "logs" where posted on WS at least a week ago. The thinking here was the cage location was where the report was made or call in and the location of the purse was where LE has stated.

I am confused about where the purse was found but it occured to me if the purse was indeed found in the Cage lot could it have been thrown from the bridge? I am not familiar with the area but looked on a map and it seems possible.

http://www.roanoke.com/datasphere/wb/xp-224154

We stood on that bridge and I coudn't have thrown anything that far. The map makes everything look closer than it seems when you are there. I am terrible with distances so I won't even try to guess how far it is...maybe another local can help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC