GUILTY VA - Nabra Hassanen, 17, killed on way home from Sterling mosque, 18 June 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I live in the area, attended vigil etc. <modsnip> Must be so horrible for her friends.

The vigil was absolutely beautiful and touching. I was able to attend as I live nearby (as in, I walked there). The outpouring of support and love, as well as the recognition that violent crime is not ever going to be accepted as "part of modern life" in Reston, was definitely the silver lining of this horrific event. And the statue of Robert E Simon, founder of Reston, was sitting on a park bench smiling through it all. I was proud of our community.

Washington Post: Local
Suspect in Killing of Muslim Teen Had Been Accused of a Previous Assault, Report Says

"A week before Darwin Martinez Torres was arrested for allegedly abducting and killing a Muslim teenager near a Virginia mosque, a woman arrived at a hospital emergency room and reported that a man — later identified as Martinez Torres — had punched, choked and sexually assaulted her and was a member of the MS-13 street gang, according to two people familiar with the woman’s account."

. . .

"At the emergency room, she claimed that she had been punched in the stomach and choked, and she remained overnight at the hospital because she also said she feared the man, the report said. The woman also said the man who attacked her was an MS-13 gang member whose violence against her had been escalating, according to the report."

. . .

"The chief also said police are trying to determine whether Martinez Torres is a member of MS-13."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...rid_collaborative_1_na&utm_term=.d8fa7d7e808a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A hearing in the high-profile slaying of a Fairfax County girl killed near her mosque was temporarily suspended Friday after her father yelled at the defendant and her mother hurled a shoe at him across the courtroom.

The loud outburst occurred as the preliminary hearing for 22-year-old Darwin Martinez Torres was set to begin before a courtroom packed with roughly 250 supporters of the victim, 17-year-old Nabra Hassanen.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...abb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.b484552f43f1

“An already disturbing case about a 17-year-old Muslim girl killed as she walked to her mosque took another unsettling turn after an indictment alleged the victim was raped as well.

The indictment Monday includes capital murder and rape charges and will allow prosecutors to pursue a death-penalty case against Darwin Martinez-Torres, 22, of Sterling.”

https://apnews.com/0a1346d0484a4dd0...//apnews.com/0a1346d0484a4dd0a050f9baef83549d

Expert: Man set for trial in killing of Muslim teen may be too impaired to face death penalty

“Defense attorneys declined to comment, but they wrote in their motions that a neuropsychologist who evaluated Torres, 23, of Sterling, found he had significant cognitive limitations, poor memory and severely impaired judgment. He is also functionally illiterate and does not have a high school diploma.
&#8233;Their investigations in Torres’s home country of El Salvador determined he was exposed to mercury, cyanide, arsenic and potentially other neurotoxins in utero and in his early years, possibly slowing his brain development, according to the motions. They do not disclose the exact source of the pollutants.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...cad52a-5929-11e8-858f-12becb4d6067_story.html

Expert: Man set for trial in killing of Muslim teen may be too impaired to face death penalty

“Defense attorneys declined to comment, but they wrote in their motions that a neuropsychologist who evaluated Torres, 23, of Sterling, found he had significant cognitive limitations, poor memory and severely impaired judgment. He is also functionally illiterate and does not have a high school diploma.
&#8233;Their investigations in Torres’s home country of El Salvador determined he was exposed to mercury, cyanide, arsenic and potentially other neurotoxins in utero and in his early years, possibly slowing his brain development, according to the motions. They do not disclose the exact source of the pollutants.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/expert-man-set-for-trial-in-killing-of-muslim-teen-may-be-too-impaired-to-face-death-penalty/2018/05/17/ffcad52a-5929-11e8-858f-12becb4d6067_story.html

From the article linked above:

One of the teens looked back to see Torres standing over Nabra, who was lying on the ground, according to a search warrant. Police said Torres hit Nabra with the bat at some point and then loaded her into his Pontiac sedan.

He drove Nabra a short distance, raped her, killed her and dumped her body in a pond near his Sterling apartment complex, police said. Torres returned to the scene of the abduction and was apprehended by police.

IANAL, neither am I psychiatrist or any other MD or PHD, but reading the except above looks like the alleged perpetrator had enuff presence of mind to get rid of the evidence of his crime in a fairly thoughtful way -- he dumped the "evidence" in a pond. He didn't just leave her where he raped her or where he killed her, and then go home -- he took some time to try to avoid being found to be the alleged perpetrator. I may be too jaded to make what might be a milder or more fair comment, but those are my thoughts. JMO

Prosecutors want to put on evidence that Nabra Hassanen’s alleged killer was suspected MS-13 member
Prosecutors plan to introduce evidence during a capital murder trial that the man accused of the high-profile killing of a Muslim teen in Virginia last year had been suspected of being a member of the violent MS-13 street gang, according to recent court filings.

Darwin Martinez Torres’s brother-in-law “believed” the 23-year-old was an MS-13 associate as a juvenile in the years before authorities said he abducted, sexually assaulted and brutally killed 17-year-old Nabra Hassanen, according to the filings.

Prosecutors are not alleging the slaying is related to Torres’s affiliation with the gang. But they hope to present the testimony as evidence of Torres’s potentially dangerous conduct if he is convicted at his January trial in Fairfax County and the jury weighs whether to sentence him to death.

A northern Virginia man pleaded guilty Wednesday to raping and killing. The plea deal allows Darwin Martinez-Torres, 25, to avoid a potential death penalty for the June 2017 murder of 17-year-old Nabra Hassanen of Reston.

The plea deal will mean Martinez-Torres gets life without parole when he is formally sentenced in March.

Guilty plea in Muslim teen's death with life sentence in prison

Wow -- Thanks for the good news, JerseyGirl!

A horrible crime, but he is going to prison for the rest of his life. A life that that he didn't allow Nabra to have after she was a slight 17 years old. I hope he is haunted by what he did to her every night. He will eventually get used to his prison life, and he will be controlled, but he will still have more control over his minutes, hours and days that his victim had in her last hours.

Excellent.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​
Virginia man sentenced to life without parole in rape, murder of Muslim teen
FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) — A man has been sentenced to life in prison for raping and killing a Muslim teenager as she walked back to a mosque with friends for pre-dawn religious services.
The life sentence without possibility of parole imposed Thursday on Darwin Martinez-Torres of Sterling was a formality after his guilty plea last year in the June 2017 slaying of 17-year-old Nabra Hassanen of Reston. That plea bargain required a life sentence but eliminated a potential death penalty.

Virginia man sentenced to life without parole in rape, murder of Muslim teen

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back