Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also curious where you saw this? If she does, I would wonder why LE and everyone who knows her in those functions are referring to her as Mittendorff then? If she's know under her maiden name it would make more sense to use that one while alerting people to look out for her.

Apparently she does go by Mittendorff. There were very early postings that had her maiden name more prevalent. Maybe because her father was the original poster and was using the same name as his?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 59
Strange...why can I see it. I guess because I am a registered FB user. Basically, Nicole's sister in law make a comment on another post that her brother (Nicole's husband) was the one who heard from her on Wednesday. I know there has been a lot of speculation that the Dad received the last contact.

We need to be cautious about referencing social media of family. Don't want to make unnecessary work for our wonderful admins and get our threads taken down...
But, welcome SpyderGirl and a few new members, (there are way too many cases in VA!) and guests!

Ah okay. Thank you. What are the rules? Can information be relayed from social media (without posting links)? Or is that prohibited?

I don't think we're allowed to post her sister in laws FB but yes she confirms that her brother, Nicole's husband, was the last to hear from her on wed

You're fine:) SpyderGirl we're all here to help Nicole. Don't let that stop you from sleuthing and posting. The Mods really are wonderful and will help clean up the little glitches.

Thanks. I don't want to cause anyone any grief. As an avid hiker myself, his story has bothered me since her dad shared the first notice (I saw it on the Appalachian Trail Hikers) FB page. Things don't quite add up. I hope she is found soon, safe and sound.

This is my first time posting on this site, so please forgive me for anything that I may do incorrectly. One thing that has plagued me about this case is the VSP's use of the term "MISSING AND ENDANGERED ADULT". As far as I know, VSP has said that foul play is NOT suspected at this time. If this is the case, why are they using the term "endangered"? Could this be known mental instability of NM?

I live in Charlottesville, about an hour south of where Nicole's car was found. I wanted to address a few common themes here...

The fire: Forest fires in the park or around this area aren't uncommon. I feel like I hear about one every few weeks in the warmer months. It has been pretty warm and dry the past few days and got to 90 here in Cville today. Given that this fire is in the western part of the park and nowhere near where her vehicle was found, I really think it's just a coincidence. But maybe I'm wrong.

Accidents/animals: I haven't hiked White Oak Canyon, but Crabtree Falls, another popular waterfall hike in VA, is notorious for hikers going off trail, slipping on the rocks and falling to their deaths. 29 deaths total, per Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crabtree_Falls). I don't know exactly where she'd end up if this happened at the falls near where her car was found, if her body would be easily visible to others or not.

It's also possible she encountered a venomous copperhead or rattlesnake and was unable to get a signal to call for help, but probably someone would have found her. It also seems likely that a bear attack would leave behind evidence.

Suicide: You never know what's going on in someone's head. Even if her friends and family thought she seemed happy and her usual self, I will not rule out suicide until LE proves something else.

My TV report on the search for missing Fairfax County, VA Firefighter #NicoleMittendorff on.wusa9.com/1Tg1yRA #FindNicole

Stephanie Gailhard reporting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I am going with a fall. I just hope she is found soon.

I don't use social media, so all the references to Facebook are completely meaningless. Yes, it has been suggested that an account is not required to see the page, but I can assure you that the comments are not visible to non-facebook users. I feel like I'm reading pages of references to Facebook rather than anything of substance.

Could someone please bring me up to speed on what information on Facebook is relevant?
Thanks

What kind of device are you using? I've logged out and can see comments and replies to comments on both laptop and android. The problem with recapping it here is that it's basically against the rules... Just trying to help find a way for you to see it.

ETA the problem with this case is it seems like it is been playing out mostly on social media (Facebook). Maybe now that more MSM have picked it up it will be easier to just use those links.

Just catching up here, but is there any other reason to assume she went on the trails other than her vehicle being found at/near a trailhead? I know she is an athlete and going on trails may not be uncommon for her, but did she mention she was heading there to anyone before or at least during her long drive there? Though the following answers will likely be kept close to vest, I wonder if LE have been able to verify whether or not any of her workout clothes and/or running/hiking shoes are missing as well. Was post trail hydration and etc. found within her vehicle as well? I don't like where my head is going with this.

This is my first time posting on this site, so please forgive me for anything that I may do incorrectly. One thing that has plagued me about this case is the VSP's use of the term "MISSING AND ENDANGERED ADULT". As far as I know, VSP has said that foul play is NOT suspected at this time. If this is the case, why are they using the term "endangered"? Could this be known mental instability of NM?

Welcome to Websleuths!

It could have to do with mental instability, but it is often used when their whereabouts are unknown or thought to be involuntary as well. If she did happen to have an accident while on/off trail and couldn't return to her vehicle then it would certainly be involuntarily... thus, missing and endangered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot!