Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are appear to be many parking areas near Old Rag ; The Washington Post article said it was near a "remote area".

There are lots but they fill up quickly--and if someone is hiking the full loop, they could be gone 3-4 hours. The geography of it is very remote for the DC area.

For the folks who are citing Old Rag materials: I haven't hiked White Oak but have done Old Rag. The two trails are different in difficulty--for example, Old Rag bans pets and includes a rock scramble/hand over hand climbing, whereas the maps I've seen for White Oak indicate it's a moderate trail. This is definitely not to say that you couldn't slip and fall over an edge somewhere.

I'm a runner and I highly doubt she'd try to run Old Rag. She was probably trying Whiteoak Canyon, but it's quite a ways to get there. I mean, people do it, I've done it, but it's something I'd def mention to someone.

White Oak, aside from the waterfalls, does not offer much of a training opportunity that she couldn't have found much closer to home. I don't think she drove there.

Been away all day and sad to see she hasn't been found yet - although hopeful, because there's no bad news either.

How far is it from where her car was found to the fire? Could she have started the fire to signal for help? Could someone have gotten her and started the fire for other reasons? Or simply someone camping and not being responsible? Is her phone off? No pings?
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered.

bbm

That was my first thought when I read about the fire. For some reason my brain is refusing to go to foul play, but my second thought was - what if someone is trying to get rid of evidence (in the largest sense of the word)...

I sure hope not. :(

I've hiked/climbed Old Rag (I grew up in Woodbridge) with an ex-boyfriend during a weekday in the early fall. Mentioning that because we were the only ones out there for most of the hike. At one point though on the way back down, we ran into a guy all alone who started following us and I have to say my "hinky" meter went off full blast. So much so that I remember I rushed to get out of there, urging my boyfriend to hurry up and lets get back to the car. Whenever some one mentions Old Rag, I remember how I felt. I have no desire to ever go there again.

White Oak, aside from the waterfalls, does not offer much of a training opportunity that she couldn't have found much closer to home. I don't think she drove there.

Given her job, she would be conscientious about safety, so I'm also doubtful that she decided to go there alone, and without telling anyone. Her father sounded the alert with the media, and the two day delay in reporting support my suspicion that something is wrong with this picture.

Was she suicidal? That's one explanation. If she was not suicidal ...

There have been incidents in the past of people going missing or killed in the Shenandoah National Park. In fact, there have been some theories that link those with the Colonial Parkway murders in the eastern part of the state. I don't agree with that, but I think anyone that visits the park shouldln't go alone. That's just good advice wherever you go.

Is it possible since they are a law enforcement family that they did report her to the police but did not make it public?

Is it possible since they are a law enforcement family that they did report her to the police but did not make it public?

I don't think so. The police report is that she was reported missing on April 15, but the father's social media post states that he last texted with her at 10:50AM on April 13. That appears to be the last contact with her. That information is in the first couple of pages of this discussion thread.

That's a possibility-maybe looking at phone records and trying to trace cell tower info. But it seems like you would want to get the word out asap as people begin to forget when and where as days blur together. Some other thots based on what I've read here. If she was due to start her 24 hour rotation Friday, she most likely(assuming based on bil schedule as fireman) she most likely had Wed and Thurs off, unless she picked up an extra shift or something. I have no idea what a law enforcement officer schedule is like. But working a shift like hers or being awake overnight might have disturbed her sleep/wake cycle so she may have gone to bed Wed am after getting off work, and maybe spent her awake hours in the evening/late night. Somebody mentioned registry for baby items. If she was pregnant, especially with her first child, at least for me, the change in horemones especially in the first trimester, can make you more emotionally labile. Just my opinion.

Was it customary for her to take one or both of their dogs when she hiked? If so, are the dogs accounted for?

lOidrZ3CqbeVjwFwjAmFvu1xgiVcTl7yQJ1TGm9mRssaMqhrs4PM099ldaqBnNEJGrwWzkw15m49k1S0T9wFZEZCzhYN5iPctgwe9QrzAyxMX17BJ6XeDN3ozeYlwNmADeh_yvvU

nicole mittendoff.jpg
Missing: April 15, 2015
Age Now: 31
Sex: Female
Race: White
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Green
Height: 5'6" (170 cm)
Weight: 125 lbs (63 kg)
Missing From: Woodbridge, VA
Details: Maybe driving a 2009 Mini Cooper with a Virginia Registration of WLT1843.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/MissingPersons.shtm

Above is the official police information. The first post is information put together on the family social media site and the missing date is April 13.

The poster includes "Help Save the Next Girl", which originated with Morgan Harrington's parents.

That's a possibility-maybe looking at phone records and trying to trace cell tower info. But it seems like you would want to get the word out asap as people begin to forget when and where as days blur together. Some other thots based on what I've read here. If she was due to start her 24 hour rotation Friday, she most likely(assuming based on bil schedule as fireman) she most likely had Wed and Thurs off, unless she picked up an extra shift or something. I have no idea what a law enforcement officer schedule is like. But working a shift like hers or being awake overnight might have disturbed her sleep/wake cycle so she may have gone to bed Wed am after getting off work, and maybe spent her awake hours in the evening/late night. Somebody mentioned registry for baby items. If she was pregnant, especially with her first child, at least for me, the change in horemones especially in the first trimester, can make you more emotionally labile. Just my opinion.

Where did you read about a possible pregnancy?

Where did you read about a possible pregnancy?

Someone found a link to a baby registry for the couple. Wasn't clear to me from when though, but she used her maiden name. So it can't be too recent. (Idk if we can post the link but it's not hard to find).

Someone found a link to a baby registry for the couple. Wasn't clear to me from when though, but she used her maiden name. So it can't be too recent. (Idk if we can post the link but it's not hard to find).

I want to dismiss the idea of pregnancy for now, because it seems odd to be training for a triathlon while pregnant.

Her wedding blog was delightful and they are/were registered for baby gifts. She sounds incredibly smart and athletic and I really hope they find her car, so they can find her. Have they issued a Silver Alert or whatever they do for missing young women?

This is where someone mentioned her and her husband registered for baby gifts on page one (or 2?).

I think I've seen a trail running friend post on facebook once that he ran Old Rag. Some of us will run some crazy places. Of course we won't run the most steep and rocky stuff (we'll be hiking), but I think some people would be surprised what we'd run. I have local loop that is very tough, super steep and rocky. I often see day hikers struggling to walk down the rocks and they are in complete disbelief when I run down past them. Not sure if Nicole would try to run there, but maybe. Still seems more likely that she'd run the easier trail, but I don't know. I'll often going to more challenging stuff because even hiking uphill provides an awesome workout.

It is definitely not. I'm an avid hiker and grew up at the base of Old Rag. It's my favorite hike, but you have to plan ahead. I once hiked it with my son, who was quite young at the time. We started in the afternoon, which turned out to be a big mistake. It's a long hike (if you do the full circuit). I underestimated how much slower the pace would be with a kid his age. The sun was setting as we had reached the top. It took more than an hour to get to the parking area from there. We got off the mountain but it was pitch black when we reached my car. If I hadn't put him on my back and broke into a sprint while there was still some dim light, we wouldn't have made it and would have been lost.

I don't know if NM went to Old Rag, White Canyon or either, but if she did, she didn't plan it right. Since she lives in Woodbridge, it would have taken her some time just to get there. This could have delayed her start which could have put her in the same trouble I found myself. At this point, though, we don't know if she drove there or even had intended to be in the area. I'm inclined to think she didn't. I would guess with her training in emergency response, she wouldn't take the chance to drive an hour to hike alone and not even tell anyone.

There are lots but they fill up quickly--and if someone is hiking the full loop, they could be gone 3-4 hours. The geography of it is very remote for the DC area.

For the folks who are citing Old Rag materials: I haven't hiked White Oak but have done Old Rag. The two trails are different in difficulty--for example, Old Rag bans pets and includes a rock scramble/hand over hand climbing, whereas the maps I've seen for White Oak indicate it's a moderate trail. This is definitely not to say that you couldn't slip and fall over an edge somewhere.

I'm a runner and I highly doubt she'd try to run Old Rag. She was probably trying Whiteoak Canyon, but it's quite a ways to get there. I mean, people do it, I've done it, but it's something I'd def mention to someone.

I've hiked/climbed Old Rag (I grew up in Woodbridge) with an ex-boyfriend during a weekday in the early fall. Mentioning that because we were the only ones out there for most of the hike. At one point though on the way back down, we ran into a guy all alone who started following us and I have to say my "hinky" meter went off full blast. So much so that I remember I rushed to get out of there, urging my boyfriend to hurry up and lets get back to the car. Whenever some one mentions Old Rag, I remember how I felt. I have no desire to ever go there again.

Thanks everyone for sharing your local insight and experiences! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member