Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think almost any scenario seems possible at this point, but I can't stop thinking about what 'Survivorman' says regarding getting into a life threatening situation in the wilderness "all you have to do is snap an ankle"....I hope she is found very soon.

This was in response to this question in a former Post:

I am a hiker/runner (female) who spends significant time training for extreme trail running events. By extreme I mean events where the distance is anywhere from 16 - 32 miles of treacherous rocky terrain with significant elevation gains. When training for a big event I typically try to get in at least one long run a week, and several weeks out from a big race I try to get in a run that is around 2/3 of the distance of the actual race... (ex. 26 mile race, I try to get in an 18 mile training run several weeks out to allow for recovery).

With that said, because of the terrain these types of runs are typically run / hikes so I may spend an average of 4 - 6 hours on a typical long training run...run when you can run, hike when you have to.... The purpose / benefit is to build endurance and strength for the actual event. We also use it to assess our gear and "fueling" needs (hydration, food, etc...) Simulating the actual event makes all the difference in success.

That is why it is hard for me to believe she would have attempted to hike one of these trails "unprepared". She was an athlete who completed and knew her body and "limits". Runners are also extremely anal about "tracking" every step, mile, hour.. and monitoring the overall progress. That is how we determine how to adjust and tweak our training. So, I cannot believe she wouldn't have had proper gear. Also, she probably would have left things in her car for after her workout (change of clothes, extra water/food, etc...)

Thank you for explaining this as it is very helpful. I was trying to figure out how long one would actually be able to exercise in that terrain and you explained it beautifully. So from what you are saying, if she did intend to return to her car or not, the contents would give LE a clue.

If her disappearance was accidental, would one infer that she would be found on/along a path or the terrain below? Or if her disappearance is of her own accord, she may be well off the path, similar to how Susan McLean was found...

Hi folks and welcome to all new members.

Please note that WS is a fact base forum so when posting facts an MSM (Mainstream Media) link is required.

Also,it's up to all members to know WS Rules Etiquette & Information So please take the time to review.

Thank you

This case reminds me so much of the California firefighter that went missing after chasing his dog while camping. I believe she is in the park and has become incapacitated, most certainly from climbing/falling. MOO just hope they can find her in time. Wonder if dogs have picked up her scent at all.

Weather on the days she went missing, this relates to if she had an accident on the trail.

Wed. 4/13
Syria, VA
Clear
Hi 59F
Lo 34F

Thu 4/14
Syria, VA
Clear
Hi 63F
Lo 34F

Fri 4/15
Syria, VA
Clear
Hi 64F
Lo 34F

When she first went missing I came across a baby registry for her and her husband. Do they have a child?

Someone posted on the findnicole twitter page that the registry was not created by Steve and Nicole. So who created it then and why? Was this part of the supposed bullying?

Someone (peggyfox and peggyTV) posted on the findnicole twitter page that the registry was not created by Steve and Nicole. So who created it then and why? Was this part of the supposed bullying?

The bump is like a sister site to the knot so when they made their wedding page it probably automatically set up a bump page for her.

No. Most are speculating that they were planning to, or had possibly lost a baby, but the registry looks pretty old and they don't have any children.

There is a.photo on one of the sites with her holding a baby.

The bump is like a sister site to the knot so when they made their wedding page it probably automatically set up a bump page for her.

I once came across a similar blank registry for myself/my husband way before we had kids and, in my case, I'm pretty sure the above was the explanation. It was like the site automatically created a dummy page for us to reserve the url for the future.

What I find very strange in this entire case is all they say is she LOVES her job and would never miss work.

She has a husband I have not heard them mention him at all.

Odd!!!!

Her husband is a very high ranking Officer with the Virginia State Police, who are heading up the entire vestigation. They were currently separated and there are many questions that are not being answered. It is not unusual for the police to keep information from media while an investigation is underway. They sometimes don't even tell the family. The information that has been coming from the police, indicates they have more than they are telling. I understand the terrain they are looking in may be unsafe for the average person to be helping, but they have constantly refused ANY outside inquiries for help. And have repeatedly asked that people stay away. As though they are protecting the integrity of the scene of her discovered vehicle.

My read of LE's handling of this case is that they have uncovered some possible concerns about her mental status, but nothing particularly concrete and so, maybe especially out of deference to fellow members of the LE community (i.e., her, her husband and her family), they are being very discrete.

Thank you for explaining this as it is very helpful. I was trying to figure out how long one would actually be able to exercise in that terrain and you explained it beautifully. So from what you are saying, if she did intend to return to her car or not, the contents would give LE a clue.

If her disappearance was accidental, would one infer that she would be found on/along a path or the terrain below? Or if her disappearance is of her own accord, she may be well off the path, similar to how Susan McLean was found...

Yes, I agree with your assumptions. I definitely think considering she had an hour and a half drive back to her home that she would have left items in her car that would have indicated her intent.

I've thought about people speculating she may have went off the trail hiking...but from my experience most of us do not conduct our training runs like that. We hit a trail and work on distance, time, pace, etc... It's not likely that one on a training run would venture off into the woods to casually hike or explore. (Now anything is possible, this is just my opinion based on her father stating she may have gone on a training run.)

So when was she last physically seen by someone?

That is a very good question. There has been NO mention what so ever of the last time anyone "saw" her. Just that she texted from Warrenton at 10:50am on Wednesday. And the next reference is she didn't show up to work Friday morning. And when the fire department tried to find her, THAT is when everyone began to realize that NO ONE had seen or heard from her.
And THAT is when the MPR was filed, Friday morning.

Your post prompted a question I have. As I don't hike, run, or cross train, for someone as fit as NM, what would a likely workout scenario be? Does one run for an hour, climb rocks for an hour? What exactly is the purpose/benefit for exercising on one of these trails?

When I rode horses, I would often go trail riding by myself for hours. I didn't tell anyone in my family I was going. I just went. As there were many trail possibilities, if I had fallen and couldn't get up, the horse would have gone back to the barn. However, it would probably take days for anyone to figure out where I had gone. With this said, I understand the need for doing something Isolar, not informing family, being at one with nature. And being at peace. I also understand that I was not very smart at the time.

If I make the assumption she is a dedicated crossfitter, she may or may not have had a routine that someone that is not a crossfitter would recognize. Crossfit means to encompass all sports and all functional movements and activities, with heavy emphasis on metabolic conditioning, olympic lifting based movements, gymnastic movements... Crossfitters are often firefighters (I know several that are female), military, former military. A lot of them are competitors in a particular sport, volleyball, various types of racing, crossfit-type competitions (and I shouldn't overlook the Special Operations folks that train to be better fighters and survive so they can come home to their families). Every workout can be different, with the exception of baseline and named workouts. It looks like poorly controlled chaos at times but to those that can adapt, it's addictive.Many of them are very social, participating in numerous fun events, but there's a quiet one in every class too. At my age I just dabble in it, really lean towards the safe side. I've had both knees and both shoulders operated on from old injuries due to extreme overuse, and I'm trying to just keep in good enough shape to hike in the mountains till the day I die. Your thoughts about running and then climbing are distinct possibilities. When I was her age and "indestructible" I did a lot of crazy dangerous stuff, out where I'd be without hope of rescue if something went wrong. I would on occasion just cut a straight line for several miles, saying to hell with the trails. I don't know her mindset, I would think a female would be more likely to mitigate some of the dangers, but adrenaline is a powerful thing.

My read of LE's handling of this case is that they have uncovered some possible concerns about her mental status, but nothing particularly concrete and so, maybe especially out of deference to fellow members of the LE community (i.e., her, her husband and her family), they are being very discrete.

What does "LE" refer to? Thank you! Sorry.. I am also new to posting here!

I'm ready to abandon the absurd notion that NM drove 2 hours to a secluded trailhead parking lot in the middle of a National Park to get a little middle of the week exercise in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird. I have not seen anything to suggest that she has children.

It is an official webpage has photos of her and her husband her working out there maybe 6 photos there and thenone she is reclyi g in a chair holding a baby. Im at work and cant go looki g for it now but it out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrina