Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have misinterpreted, Upper Hawksbill is on Skyline, it's the triangle to the left below Big Run Overlook. Your map (big dot) does confirm the location of the lower parking area for Old Rag/White Oak Canyon.
I was just clarifying what the reporter had circled that is what is on the map that dot is where he stated the car was found I could be reading the map incorrectly I just took the image from the television I am going to look at the overall map and try and edit the picture correctly thanks for pointing that out

For the locals, if she went off trail she could've went toward Old Rag, maybe got lost between the two areas? I've just been wondering about the downloaded files, the family thinks they might be maps. If you don't have cell service you can still look at the maps. She was also training for a triathlon, and she's a swimmer.

Just in case it's of use - a map of Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park

Part of this map was used in outspoken311's previous post indicating where Nicole's car was parked.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/whole_park.pdf
This was the exact map the reporter used it showed the whole park. I know that I could see whatever lot the car was parked at route 608 led into the lot thanks for this link having trouble editing the other post

Teenagers grab a backpack to runaway. Wouldn't there be some kind of evidence she was leaving long term missing from her home? She just has so much going on besides work, an upcoming event she was training for, and she doesn't have any kids. She could just pack up and leave, leaving a car to make it look like she got lost doesn't make much sense to me. I can see leaving her car to meet someone and something happened more likely, or abducted from the area between there and Warrenton.
I've been wondering if she's a backpacker. If she knew what she was doing she could easily, totally, disappear for a week. There's plenty of water, and a week's worth of dehydrated food for her would weigh a few pounds at most. She would have to be pretty p/o'd to do that, and if she knew what kind of work is going on to find her, well I don't know if she'd feel guilty and want to hide longer or if she'd want to come out immediately, or if she'd care at all at this point. So it doesn't fit together for me. It's an effective way to scare people if that's all you wanted to accomplish, but you would have to deal with a lot more stuff when you came out.

You have misinterpreted, Upper Hawksbill is on Skyline, it's the triangle to the left below Big Run Overlook. Your map (big dot) does confirm the location of the lower parking area for Old Rag/White Oak Canyon.

Thank you for clarifying that. I was very confused for a moment.

My husband and I used to be frequent Old Rag hikers, but in more recent years we've just hiked up and down the back side (to avoid the rock summit which I never really liked - even in my youth). So, I'm quite familiar with the parking area where her car was found, though we've always parked a bit further in -- within the park boundary, at Berry Hollow, I think it is. The last time we did that hike was on a Thursday (we never go on the weekends anymore) and we only saw two people on the trail itself, one of whom was a Ranger. We did see a few more people (4?) at the summit, however. The park is VERY different on week days -- much less crowded than weekends.

I just wanted to chime in and thank the locals for their insights. I lived in northern Virginia for all of the 1990's and explored much of the state. Visited the DC area 3-4 times a year from 2000 until my mother's passing in late 2014. Although I'm back in my birth state (Louisiana) a little part of my heart still considers Virginia home. (That's why I'm especially interested in VA cases here on WS.)

Thank you, locals, for painting a vivid picture for those of us who live miles and miles away. :tyou:

I've been so worried about Nicole since I started reading here this past weekend. My initial thought was maybe someone had harmed her but now I am definitely leaning towards her harming herself. I really hope that's not the case as she's a young, beautiful woman with the world in her hands. I don't imagine that this dedicated, hard working woman would intentionally disappear, causing not only her job to be concerned but her direct family.

I wish there was more released that could help in creating a better idea of what may have happened but the fact that details aren't forthcoming, only increases my fear that she has harmed herself. I was hoping she may have gone of trail injured but now we are approaching a week with no sign of her.

Are there bridges in or near the park by chance?

Praying that she is found and praying for her loved ones. I cannot imagine.

I've been so worried about Nicole since I started reading here this past weekend. My initial thought was maybe someone had harmed her but now I am definitely leaning towards her harming herself. I really hope that's not the case as she's a young, beautiful woman with the world in her hands. I don't imagine that this dedicated, hard working woman would intentionally disappear, causing not only her job to be concerned but her direct family.

I wish there was more released that could help in creating a better idea of what may have happened but the fact that details aren't forthcoming, only increases my fear that she has harmed herself. I was hoping she may have gone of trail injured but now we are approaching a week with no sign of her.

Are there bridges in or near the park by chance?

Praying that she is found and praying for her loved ones. I cannot imagine.

Yes there are bridges over the various creeks and runs, but they are not tall bridges.

This is very mountainous terrain, so there are a lot of cliffs, gullies and drops.

Just a thought here!

Could she have quit her job?
And they are just saying she called out sick?

Maybe so she would come back.
they keep saying she LOVED her job would never miss work yet she called out sick.
maybe she had enough.

Something is not being said in my opinion.

A new day here in Australia and still no sign of Nicole. 😦 I am also onecof those wondering if she decided to harm herself, knowing she called in sick only reinforces the possibility for me. I would love to know her state of mind in the days prior.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Let's please keep Nichole's husband out of this. You can discuss what's in MSM re: him, but No Rumors.

Thanks!

In the government you only have to send an email to request sick leave. Technically she could have been missing since Tuesday (at the time her supervisor received the request) or before.

I can not speak for that Fire Departments protocol but in the one I am acquainted with you either have to be hospitalized or go to the "infirmary" which is located within a hospital. Again not sure of what they require but in a fire or police department I doubt that a phone call or email is enough...JMOO.....

The park fire was first reported on 4/16 at 1pm, fire covers lots of evidence. Wonder if they are related incidents? Just seems so physically close in location, timeline, and convenience.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4689/

It's hard to say. We have a had a lot of fire warnings out in our area due to low humidity and high winds.

The fire is an absolute tragedy in itself - so many bears and other mammals have young out at this time of year.

One of the big problems for survival right now is the low nightime tempertaures - been close to or below freezing recently. Also, keep in mind that temperatures at Skyline Drive level at typically at least 10 degrees lower than at normal level.

There are so many missing pieces to this case, so many.

<modsnip>

I can not speak for that Fire Departments protocol but in the one I am acquainted with you either have to be hospitalized or go to the "infirmary" which is located within a hospital. Again not sure of what they require but in a fire or police department I doubt that a phone call or email is enough...JMOO.....

They can call out sick in Fairfax. They don't have to be hospitalized to call out sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
primelectrics