Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What I don't understand is if there was a suicide note in the car and LE picked up her car on Saturday, why did it take until Thursday to acknowledge the suicide note and find her then. Why the delay?

That's a good question. I am hoping that, in time, the whole story will be told. It may only be then that we will understand what happened.

Wow! I'm more shocked by the manner.

Hanging is fairly common. I've followed five missing person threads on WS that ended in suicide (I didn't follow Nicole's until she was found). Three used hanging and two were women (Leanne Bearden and Jennifer Huston). While that's not a statistically accurate number, and it surprised me the first time, it doesn't now. However suicide is accomplished, it saddens me each time.

Jeff Goldberg ‏@abc7jeffg [video=twitter;723615189766135810]https://twitter.com/abc7jeffg/status/723615189766135810[/video]
BREAKING: Medical Examiner releases cause of death for Nicole Mittendorff: "suicide-hanging".

Does that mean she hung herself from a tree or rock? That is so horrible.

This is so sad. She was beautiful, smart, kind, talented, athletic, great job, loving family and friends, so much to offer in the world.

What could have possibly have been so bad in this young woman's life that she felt there was no way out?

I have family members that fight depression daily. It's so hard to figure out what triggers the dark side.

I wish someone could have seen this in her and intervened to get her some help.

What were the documents the family was trying to download?

Just like Leanne Bearden. Both strong, athletic, beautiful and loved by so many people :(
I recall reading the statics and methods up thread someone shared and it did say hanging was on the rise. I have a medical background and I guess knowing Nicole had EMT and fire my mentality assumed she would overdose on a medication or something.

That's a good question. I am hoping that, in time, the whole story will be told. It may only be then that we will understand what happened.
The family's privacy. Our interest to know doesn't outweigh that right. As someone mentioned upthread, what if she hadn't gone through with it but we all assumed she had based on the note. What pieces do you think are missing?

I want to know why she took her own life.

I'm curious, too, but we may never know. Even with a note, it's possible that her family may never truly know the reason why. (Without know the contents of the note, it could've been more of a 'goodbye' than an explanation.)

What I don't understand is if there was a suicide note in the car and LE picked up her car on Saturday, why did it take until Thursday to acknowledge the suicide note and find her then. Why the delay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm disturbed by this fact, actually.

As an avid trail runner, I see nothing unusual about calling in sick to work and driving 2 hours to run trails. It was alarming to me that the was found 300 yards from the trail, because being off trail a mile into a distance run *is* abnormal: to read that (without knowing about the suicide note), it immediately makes one think she was attacked -- and that's a scary thought for any female trail runner.

I don't understand why there was an appeal to the public to help find her if they had a suicide note. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Am I missing something?

I'm disturbed by this fact, actually.

As an avid trail runner, I see nothing unusual about calling in sick to work and driving 2 hours to run trails. It was alarming to me that the was found 300 yards from the trail, because being off trail a mile into a distance run *is* abnormal: to read that (without knowing about the suicide note), it immediately makes one think she was attacked -- and that's a scary thought for any female trail runner.

I don't understand why there was an appeal to the public to help find her if they had a suicide note. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Am I missing something?

They still had to find her, even if they knew it was very likely that she committed suicide.

First post. Presumably this link is considered MSM. I apologize in advance if that's not the case.

http://wjla.com/news/local/concern-...refighter-found-dead-was-a-victim-of-bullying

Thank you for this link! This is what we have suspected for days.

"Concern that Fairfax County firefighter found dead was a victim of bullying

In the past several hours however, we have become aware of online message boards in which Mittendorff's name has been used in an extremely negative manner.

Some of the posts purported to have been written by members of the Fairfax County Fire Department, where she worked for three years.

We have been told the department is aware of this online activity, but today they focused solely on coping with this very recent tragedy."

http://wjla.com/news/local/concern-...refighter-found-dead-was-a-victim-of-bullying

They still had to find her, even if they knew it was very likely that she committed suicide.
And they very explicitly did NOT make an appeal to the public. They very clearly said don't come help.

Thank you for this link! This is what we have suspected for days.

"Concern that Fairfax County firefighter found dead was a victim of bullying

In the past several hours however, we have become aware of online message boards in which Mittendorff's name has been used in an extremely negative manner.

Some of the posts purported to have been written by members of the Fairfax County Fire Department, where she worked for three years.

We have been told the department is aware of this online activity, but today they focused solely on coping with this very recent tragedy."

This is horrible. Why in the world would anyone bully her? I suppose only jealous people. This is upsetting. I didn't know this.

Everything is allowed until it's not. And everything isn't allowed until it is. Easy!! LOL. J/k! It can be very confusing.

clip_image001.gif

Admin Note

We understand the rules can be confusing, and frankly, MzOpinion8d is correct. The Rules and TOS here are necessary to keep order and to preserve the integrity of any investigation and/or search. They exist so that rumors don't muddy the discussion and distract from the facts; so that innocent people's names aren't inserted causing their lives to be opened for sleuthing and prompting "google hits"; ....for more reasons than I could ever begin to list here. Though the rules may seem oppressive on the surface, they are here to protect ALL of us as well as the victim/investigation.

That said, we understand that rarely are things black and white. More often than not, there are plenty of grey areas. We're flexible and willing to bend & make exceptions, when necessary. We are keenly aware of the cyberbullying aspect of this case - we are not simply ignoring the "elephant in the room". We are extremely opposed to any kind of cyberbullying and are personally aware of the effects it can cause people to endure. It is about setting the parameters. What we are not going to do is permit websites that allow cyber-bullying to occur to be linked or mentioned by name. We are adamant about not giving any type of site like that any exposure and certainly no "hits" linked via WS.

However, Cyber Bullying is real and it should be discussed. Discussed often and as openly as possible without linking to cyber-bullying sites.

Please continue the discussion. Since it has now been confirmed by msm that Nicole did suffer from people cyber bullying her it's fine to discuss.

At some point, we may start a new thread in our cyber bully forum but for now, it's important to talk about Nicole's tragedy and hopefully make those people who did the cyber bullying realize there are consequences when you Cyber Bully someone.

MSM link, WUSA9 has also now picked up the story. Forgot link, came back to edit but haven't figured out linkage button yet, sorry!
http://www.wusa9.com/mb/news/local/...sing-firefighter-nicole-mittendorff/149881285
Mods... Please review article (and my post) and edit if not appropriate. Thank you in advance (still getting my newbie participation bearings).

Personally I am happy the topic came up earlier in the threads, even if some broke the rules of the forum. This may have never have been brought to light publicly. Any other WS members that gave the DC media a heads up, I shake your hand. I hope in turn now with media presence on the topic, something other than a quick talking to will be done. It could very well have saved the next.
With that said, I have read the other ghastly forum again for the latest, I couldn't help myself to see what the latest is there now that the media has broke the important story of bullying in the work place. I won't return, and implore fellow WS from being tempted to engage... think before you do. This is a very emotional topic as it is. Some of us have personal first hand experiences and are passionate about it. BUT, by not engaging in similar behavior, prevents our own actions or words on a screen, to coming close to the very definition of bullying. All we can do now is lay trust in the powers that be to handle it appropriately. Fingers crossed.

P.S. It is nice after several years of lurking, then a lurking member to partake in the WS family. :)

This is horrible. Why in the world would anyone bully her? I suppose only jealous people. This is upsetting. I didn't know this.

It's just crazy and so unnecessary. I know there are a lot of reasons that people would bully, but this really seems to be a pack mentality & idiots trying to "be" someone in front of their peers. It's just disgusting and I hope they are ashamed of themselves. Although I'm sure they are rationalizing their behavior away and minimizing their role in her depression.

P.S. It is nice after several years of lurking, then a lurking member to partake in the WS family. :)

Dear CFlow,
Welcome to the Websleuths family. Glad you finally jumped in and joined the discussion.
Tricia

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaspurrjax