GUILTY VA - Noah Thomas, 5, Pulaski County, 22 March 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a problem, and it is common, but I guess the answer is she can't sleep. If it is a life critical thing - like, she literally hasn't been able to sleep in 48 hours, it's time to call in help. This is why being good parents is so very very hard - you can't sleep while you have children up and running around that age. Maybe the silver lining here, as with all tragedies, is this serves as a cautionary tale. Like when children die in hot cars, the subject comes up how to prevent that. And now it's being discussed whether moms can take long naps with a 5 year old in their sole care. My guess is, this conversation is going on a LOT of places whether it's appropriate to leave a 5 year old unsupervised for 2 hours. And this conversation will continue if it's found that it is exactly as the mother said - she was sleeping, and didn't know what happened to him and her curious child fell down a septic tank and drowned - and at that point, whether charges of parental neglect are appropriate which will stir further more focused debate on whether it's okay for the parents in charge to nap. So I think this conversation will grow and grow through this tragedy.

For me, a nap is something which lasts around 20 minutes, not 2 hours.

Sleeping from around 8.00am to 10.30am is just, that: "sleeping". Not napping. And sleeping in a different room to the one your child is in, does mean that he/she is unsupervised, and is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

I know some people were saying its no different to a parent sleeping at night, when you wouldn't know if your child woke up and went outside - but the difference is, your child is more likely to sleep at night after being active all day. And another difference is, when you go to bed, your child is already asleep. A child who has only been up for a couple of hours, and who is left to roam the house whilst you are sleeping in another room, is far more likely to meet an accident, than a child who unexpectedly wakes up in the night. In my opinion.

I'll never forget reading John Walsh's take on this. He has experienced this - we haven't. His take was that it is the public who craves seeing the grief of the parents, and his wife Reve would put her face out there in order to keep Adam's story in the news, as the reporters shouted gruesome things about her missing son so that she would vomit and they could take close up pictures. Sharon Rocha describing how she did not want to be on camera and the family all shirking the responsibility of it so she was all that was left, even though it half killed her to do it. Think about why you guys want to see that kind of grief *advertiser censored* and demand it of the parents. Since I don't know what it feels like to be in that position, I listen to the people who have been there and they describe that process as horrific. It disgusts me when a child is killed and people immediately judge the appearance of the griefstricken on camera. I also think about Terri Horman who looked thrilled to put on a grief show for the cameras. It's all so disgusting.

I rarely watch interviews with family in these cases. I like to read and draw my conclusions without interference and making judgments about people I know nothing about. I have a couple of the twitchy disorders like anxiety and OCD and I promise you if I gave an interview on tv about a new post office route, you all would think I was guilty of something because of my mannerisms. To me, they are mostly useless as a tool to figure anything out. Also, I've seen countless cases where a parent gave an interview and was totally suspected of all kinds of things, only to find out a total stranger had done the deed. Trauma wears many faces and people don't always 'look like they should' when under duress.

Accidents happen. Tragic, horrible accidents happen. Maybe this was one of them. Maybe this one started when the mom slept longer than she "should" have. Maybe she regularly sleeps while Noah hangs out and watches TV. Maybe it was the first time she slept rather than napped. We don't know.

If this was an accident, I doubt this mother will EVER recover. I say that because I don't think I would be able to function knowing that this mistake I made took the life from my son. I'd rather die.

For me, a nap is something which lasts around 20 minutes, not 2 hours.

Sleeping from around 8.00am to 10.30am is just, that: "sleeping". Not napping. And sleeping in a different room to the one your child is in, does mean that he/she is unsupervised, and is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

I know some people were saying its no different to a parent sleeping at night, when you wouldn't know if your child woke up and went outside - but the difference is, your child is more likely to sleep at night after being active all day. And another difference is, when you go to bed, your child is already asleep. A child who has only been up for a couple of hours, and who is left to roam the house whilst you are sleeping in another room, is far more likely to meet an accident, than a child who unexpectedly wakes up in the night. In my opinion.

Most of us lock the doors at night too.

I agree the PD have a lot on there hands already, but it was very evil to write such a thing and she should be held accountable because now she has put someone else's life in danger.

LE does not owe us any information. It is not their job to satiate our want for information. They have a body, they have an autopsy, they are not the only law enforcement involved. Don't you think an investigation involving the FBI a d other agencies, is probably quiet for a reason? I don't think they really give a flip right now what anyone is thinking.
After following the Hannah Graham case, I changed my mind about this. LE does owe the public information. They sensationaize the case, ask for information, get us emotionally involved. The public gets used in a sense by the LE. Once they get what they need, they clam up.
Not to say they should jeopardise the case by giving out too much information, but the way they emotionally involve the public in the beginning should require them to resolve things in public in a way that respects that we have become invested. The Jenise Wright LE did this well.

I'll never forget reading John Walsh's take on this. He has experienced this - we haven't. His take was that it is the public who craves seeing the grief of the parents, and his wife Reve would put her face out there in order to keep Adam's story in the news, as the reporters shouted gruesome things about her missing son so that she would vomit and they could take close up pictures. Sharon Rocha describing how she did not want to be on camera and the family all shirking the responsibility of it so she was all that was left, even though it half killed her to do it. Think about why you guys want to see that kind of grief *advertiser censored* and demand it of the parents. Since I don't know what it feels like to be in that position, I listen to the people who have been there and they describe that process as horrific. It disgusts me when a child is killed and people immediately judge the appearance of the griefstricken on camera. I also think about Terri Horman who looked thrilled to put on a grief show for the cameras. It's all so disgusting.
I don't see it in the same way you do. I don't want to see grief for pleasure. I don't necessarily want to visually see grieving parents.
It can be a clue as to what happened, when you don't see grief happening. Guilty parties hide away, grieving people don't think about anything more than their grief. They don't worry about being seen in tears. It's also been told that it can help the public to get involved emotionally, which can help solve the case, if they can put faces to the family, relate to them.

This makes me question why this isn't happening here. Not saying it's a definite indicator that the parents are involved, but it's unusual to not rally for your child in public when you are desperate for information leading to his whereabouts. After they found him, I understand not seeing them on camera. But when he was just "Missing" - I would expect a representative from the family to make a statement or plea to find the child.

After following the Hannah Graham case, I changed my mind about this. LE does owe the public information. They sensationaize the case, ask for information, get us emotionally involved. The public gets used in a sense by the LE. Once they get what they need, they clam up.
Not to say they should jeopardise the case by giving out too much information, but the way they emotionally involve the public in the beginning should require them to resolve things in public in a way that respects that we have become invested. The Jenise Wright LE did this well.

I don't know, themom. I don't think LE owes the public anything except information of a public safety nature. Like, if this were a case of a stranger or other person who can potentially harm other neighbor children, the public needs to be WELL aware of that. If this is a case where either the mom did it, or it was an accident, I don't know that LE owes the public immediate answers.

I am as guilty as anyone of being overly interested in true crime/missing persons stories, but I recognize that my desire to know more is kind of a soap opera thing. I do get interested in the people, and the story, and the intrigue, and want to know the continuing saga details.

But I don't think I have an actual right to. Those who came out and searched, I believe, have the right to know he's been found deceased in the septic tank, after this vigorous search, but except for when court records that are available to the public come out, I don't think the public has a right to further details in the story. It's easy to view this as a fascinating story and forget the unbelievable pain the family is experiencing and their need for privacy.

I agree the PD have a lot on there hands already, but it was very evil to write such a thing and she should be held accountable because now she has put someone else's life in danger.

TOTALLY agree, I'm sorry if I came across differently. I am angry at her for doing that because, yes, she does have to be held accountable. And the PD has a full plate and shouldn't have to deal with nonsense. (WHAT she did is not nonsense. THAT she did it, is nonsense.) IMO

I think it fits both. She should be outed publicly I agree, to even think that's a way to seek revenge on someone using an innocent child who is deceased. So sick and wrong. And hacking couldn't she be charged for that too? Get her for that too.

Tox takes much longer. Must be something obvious... Drowning or obvious intentional injury. Ugh...

He must not want us to talk about it over the weekend. I am sure all the rumors have stopped on his say-so. Seriously, does he think he can control the thoughts and actions of all people following this case?

Mamame No don't be sorry. I totally understood what you meant I was just rambling on. I feel the exact same as you.It is Nonsense your right.

So does crap flow up hills? Is it me or does the septic tank look like it is higher than the trailer?

Don't ask me to explain, but our brand new septic system does go up hill. I don't understand at all how it all works even though it was explained to me.

You know, even if the parents want to grieve in private or are shy to be out in front of the camera....someone surely has told them it looks bad to be hidden away and there are other options: they could write a statement that's released, in their own words...they could send a relative to speak for them who doesn't mind being in the spotlight, etc. So many options.

Agreed- they could have a relative/friend to address the public. They could read statements from the parents expressing their feelings, maybe thanks for all the LE and community support-etc..
I think they have a lawyer and they are being told not to say anything.

I rarely watch interviews with family in these cases. I like to read and draw my conclusions without interference and making judgments about people I know nothing about. I have a couple of the twitchy disorders like anxiety and OCD and I promise you if I gave an interview on tv about a new post office route, you all would think I was guilty of something because of my mannerisms. To me, they are mostly useless as a tool to figure anything out. Also, I've seen countless cases where a parent gave an interview and was totally suspected of all kinds of things, only to find out a total stranger had done the deed. Trauma wears many faces and people don't always 'look like they should' when under duress.

Last night I was thinking about this, and I know I'd look incredibly guilty in TV interview. I have a terrible time with eye contact, and I have trichotillomania. I pull the hair on my eyebrows compulsively. To the average person I'd probably look like a tweaker or something.

When Noah was found in the septic tank they also found his Pokemon tin.
This is a tin box that holds Pokemon playing cards.
How did they get there? If he was murdered isn't it kind of personal thing to find an item/toy?
Does this help profile who did it? Was it someone who was close to him?
Just thinking out loud.

That's interesting...I hadn't seen that it was found with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattooteena