GUILTY VA - Noah Thomas, 5, Pulaski County, 22 March 2015 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the language used by the Southwest Times . . . That is a very small paper. It publishes only five times a week, and it doesn't have as many employees as the Roanoke Times, which is much larger.

However, the Southwest Times is attentive to local needs, and their reporters are "boots on the ground" for local meetings, breaking news, court cases, etc. Their articles might be more informal, but it's still a paper with strong community ties. At a time when so many local papers are dying out, I hope they stick around.

The informality may be irksome, but I think they're doing the best they can for keeping up with this case. I wouldn't have any reservations about citing them in relation to Noah Thomas.

Thank you for your insight, Tamora1. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: the language used by the Southwest Times . . . That is a very small paper. It publishes only five times a week, and it doesn't have as many employees as the Roanoke Times, which is much larger.

However, the Southwest Times is attentive to local needs, and their reporters are "boots on the ground" for local meetings, breaking news, court cases, etc. Their articles might be more informal, but it's still a paper with strong community ties. At a time when so many local papers are dying out, I hope they stick around.

The informality may be irksome, but I think they're doing the best they can for keeping up with this case. I wouldn't have any reservations about citing them in relation to Noah Thomas.

I don't, in any way, doubt the veracity of their reports. I find the smaller, local papers often do a better job of keeping faithful to the truth. However, I believe *all* journalist, in the largest and smallest markets, have an obligation to be keepers of the language. I fear the degradation of our language and believe journalists may be our last line of defense.

But, I completely agree that there should be no reservations in citing the paper as a reliable media outlet. If you look in the media thread, I took the time a while ago to label and explain the relationship between the different papers for people not from Virginia who may be wondering how each MSM relates in proximity Dublin/Pulaski County/Virginia. I actually think the online version of the Pulaski County Patriot has been one of the more objective sources, so far (and they must have a tiny staff!)

I don't, in any way, doubt the veracity of their reports. I find the smaller, local papers often do a better job of keeping faithful to the truth. However, I believe *all* journalist, in the largest and smallest markets, have an obligation to be keepers of the language. I fear the degradation of our language and believe journalists may be our last line of defense.

But, I completely agree that there should be no reservations in citing the paper as a reliable media outlet. If you look in the media thread, I took the time a while ago to label and explain the relationship between the different papers for people not from Virginia who may be wondering how each MSM relates in proximity Dublin/Pulaski County/Virginia. I actually think the online version of the Pulaski County Patriot has been one of the more objective sources, so far (and they must have a tiny staff!)

You're preaching to the choir (teacher here), but I do get irked when online commentators read informal language as either a sign of ignorance or a reason to ignore the message. (Not saying you did that, of course; I'm just spending too much time on Facebook!)

The editor of the Pulaski County Patriot is a veteran journalist. He used to be the publisher/editor of The Southwest Times, in fact. You can expect some serious experience there, as well as high standards for journalism. Expect him to also know all the local rumors; however, unlike the WDBJ7 journalist who "parted ways" with his employer, don't expect information to be passed along until they can be thoroughly verified.

The downside to the Patriot is, yes, its tiny size. It also publishes only once a week and is available free at local restaurants and other outlets. Its "bread and butter" is also a strong focus on local churches and religion, in addition to obituaries and other community news. The interior columns, as well as reader-generated letters and articles, tend to have a very conservative and/or heavily Christian viewpoint.

I hope that this doesn't strike people as too off-topic; considering all the rumors and the debate about certain journalists' SM postings, I think it's great that people are looking hard at these sources. It does my researcher's heart good. :)

The "getwaway" location I went to this weekend had rentals that had septic tanks. So I took a tour to inspect and learn more due to this case and thread. I'm attaching photos on this post and following ones. The cover was plastic, with the same weight and thickness you might find in a lid of a 30 gallon pail. It had 6 areas for screws. AND THEY WERE NOT SCREWED ON. I could lift the lid easily with my foot to move it. It would be easy in the dark to trip over this sticking out of the ground, and if my foot caught the lid just right, I can see how the cover could easily be kicked totally off. The opening was about 2 feet across, and my entire body would fit through this hole. I was too anxious to take the lid off totally for inspection. And yes indeed management for the rental property is getting the photos, the links to the stories re Noah, and my :twocents: as to this safety hazard.

2015-04-26 10.47.08 (1).jpg

2015-04-26 10.43.56 (1).jpg

More photos

Attachments

• 2015-04-26 10.44.57 (1).jpg
    2015-04-26 10.44.57 (1).jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 2015-04-26 10.44.13 (1).jpg
    2015-04-26 10.44.13 (1).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 66
2015-04-26 10.44.25 (1).jpg

ETA: I am seeing an ad within my post :thinking: Tried to remove it lol but cannot.

I think it's safe to say that the only fact we have about septic lid covers is that safety regulations or practices are dangerously inconsistent.

That only reinforces my belief that it was a quick place to stash him, not that he fell in. That lid wouldnt replace itself. If a child was missing and the lid was off, that is the FIRST place the police and concerned parents would check. I would INSIST on it if my child was missing and there was an open hole in the back yard. But, it is quite convenient to get rid of something you dont want anyone to find.

Hello, all! I apologize if this question has already been addressed and I missed it.

Why did Noah's mom need to drive his dad to work that day? Why didn't he just take the car? Did she have plans? Did he not drive?

Hello, all! I apologize if this question has already been addressed and I missed it.

Why did Noah's mom need to drive his dad to work that day? Why didn't he just take the car? Did she have plans? Did he not drive?
I haven't heard a definitive reason but dad has dui on his record and I believe they only own one vehicle. I haven't read anything that said "AW drove him because...."

The majority of this case is conjecture.

That only reinforces my belief that it was a quick place to stash him, not that he fell in. That lid wouldnt replace itself. If a child was missing and the lid was off, that is the FIRST place the police and concerned parents would check. I would INSIST on it if my child was missing and there was an open hole in the back yard. But, it is quite convenient to get rid of something you dont want anyone to find.

This is where I am stuck. I have heard that the lid was off, hence why two good Samaritans tried to check it. I have also heard it was nailed down and covered with sod. Sorry but I don't know how anyone can make definitive declarations of guilt at this point.

This is where I am stuck. I have heard that the lid was off, hence why two good Samaritans tried to check it. I have also heard it was nailed down and covered with sod. Sorry but I don't know how anyone can make definitive declarations of guilt at this point.

If we're to take Orly Salina's (ex reporter for WDBJ news) at face value, he was told that it popped off like Tupperware. This was supposedly within twenty minutes of the missing report being called in. IIRC. If that's so, then would it have been pushed back into place or would it fall down and seal like a Tupperware lid? So confusing since that's really all we have.

The "getwaway" location I went to this weekend had rentals that had septic tanks. So I took a tour to inspect and learn more due to this case and thread. I'm attaching photos on this post and following ones. The cover was plastic, with the same weight and thickness you might find in a lid of a 30 gallon pail. It had 6 areas for screws. AND THEY WERE NOT SCREWED ON. I could lift the lid easily with my foot to move it. It would be easy in the dark to trip over this sticking out of the ground, and if my foot caught the lid just right, I can see how the cover could easily be kicked totally off. The opening was about 2 feet across, and my entire body would fit through this hole. I was too anxious to take the lid off totally for inspection. And yes indeed management for the rental property is getting the photos, the links to the stories re Noah, and my :twocents: as to this safety hazard.

View attachment 73876

View attachment 73877

Oh my goodness! This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I'm so glad that you're taking action. Hopefully the owners will screw the lids down, like they're supposed to be! Thanks for sharing this and for the pics.

Just popping in to check on PT's bond appeal...I know it was scheduled for only 13 minutes ago...but I am impatient.

Just popping in to check on PT's bond appeal...I know it was scheduled for only 13 minutes ago...but I am impatient.
as am i :D

i can't believe there has not been an update........with ashley white's appearance, everyone's seat had not even had a chance to get warm before they released the findings of her appeal :gaah:

i'll keep digging :lookingitup:

In other news, there are a lot of famous people named "Paul Thomas"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members