GUILTY VA - Noah Thomas, 5, Pulaski County, 22 March 2015 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Came to see if any updates and see someone pasted Jury Selection Today. Marking my spot.

Noah Thomas case: Jury selection to continue Tuesday
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2016 5:41 pm | Updated: 5:41 pm, Mon Feb 8, 2016.

By Jacob Demmitt jacob.demmitt@roanoke.com 381-8621
<snip>

PULASKI – More than 100 potential jurors filed into the Pulaski County courthouse on Monday as the trial process for the mother of Noah Thomas began with jury selection.
At the end of the proceedings Monday, 15 potential jurors were chosen. On Tuesday, it was decided that seven more would be added to that group, if possible. From that group of 22, a jury of 12 and two alternates would be chosen, based on the discussions in court on Monday.

The case would start Tuesday if the jury selection continues as planned.

White's attorney has argued the trial shouldn't be held in a community that has been exposed to what she says have been months of prejudicial news coverage ever since 5-year-old Noah was found dead in a septic tank in March.
But a judge ruled that there will be an attempt made to seat a jury in Pulaski County — and that process began Monday morning.
In a move not common in jury selection, potential jurors are being questioned in groups of three. Each group was been questioned for an average time of about 30 minutes Monday.
Facebook usage was an issue during questioning. Potential jurors who have acknowledged that they posted on the social media platform about the Noah Thomas case were dismissed Monday. ***(JMHO with all cases, especially high profile cases this is the new normal and should be addressed, for purposes of most unbiased jury as possible and keep from being an Appeal issue upon convictions)

Many of the questions to potential jurors focused on what they had heard in newspapers, on television and through social media. Numerous potential jurors questioned before Monday said they had followed the case in the news, and two said that would affect their ability to remain impartial.
White is charged with two Class 6 felony charges of abuse and neglect relating to Noah and the care of his infant sister. Class 6 felonies are punishable by a maximum of five years on each charge. A grand jury also indicted her on a Class 4 felony charge of abuse and neglect relating to the care of Noah. A Class 4 felony is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

More at link: http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/p...cle_1f0bdac6-2e4a-5708-b18d-2b775c538478.html

Posted: Monday, February 8, 2016 2:12 am

Noah Thomas case: Ashley White trial to start today

PULASKI — The mother of a Virginia boy who died in a septic tank is due in court on abuse and neglect charges.
Online court records show 31-year-old Ashley White's jury trial is scheduled to begin Monday in Pulaski County Circuit Court. The trial is scheduled to take up to five days.

White and 32-year-old Paul Thomas are accused of leaving their 5-year-old son, Noah Thomas, and infant daughter, Abigail, home alone on March 22 of last year. The boy's body was found in a septic tank near the family's home in Dublin four days later. The medical examiner determined that the boy drowned and that hypothermia contributed to his death.
Thomas also is charged with felony child abuse and neglect. His one-day bench trial is set for March 9.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/p...cle_fbfe8406-4008-552e-acaa-00edd21a0a0e.html

A video from last night. AW got emotional during jury selection when two potential jurors either brought up a memory of Noah or how they honored him after his death. Interesting question asked by the defense..."Do you think a mother has a bigger responsibility in raising a child just because she is the mother?" Arguments ensued and it was agreed to add the word "should".

http://www.wdbj7.com/video/ashley-white-gets-emotional-in-noah-thomas-trial/37900762

Hi. I'm new to this thread and I'm not able to link the story right now, but it was just announced that AW will have trial with judge instead of jury. Www.pcpatriot.com

Sorry for poor form I'm hiding in the bathroom at work haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the article...

News outlets report that after struggling for two days to seat a jury for Ashley White&#8217;s trial, lawyers agreed Tuesday night to proceed with the case later this week, but without a jury present.

The change came after Pulaski County Circuit Judge Bradley Finch found that the jury pool had been too tainted by media coverage since 5-year-old Noah Thomas&#8217; body was found in a septic tank near his Dublin home in March 2015.

http://pcpatriot.com/?p=16834

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/bench-trial-for-ashley-white-to-begin-thursday/37939286

"The owner of the property rented by Noah Thomas' family said the boy "was like my own." Gary Meadows lives next to the property he rented to Ashley White and Paul Thomas. They leased it from him in 2010, when Noah was just a baby. Meadows said he often spent time with Noah and became very emotional as he testified about their relationship........ Meadows described Noah as an "outside kid" who was learning to play basketball and was often by himself.

BBM... Sad.. "Often by himself". Just as I had been told he was. :(. I work, but you don't know how much I WISH I could afford to stay at home with my kids. So that I could play with them in the yard and take them to the park during the week. To imagine that his Mother was home and he was, at least "often", outside alone, infuriates me. I WANT to have that time with my kids and can't. And she not only squandered it, but killed him with her lack of attention. (IF that's all it was. ). Grrrr.

The special agent also talked about the lid of the septic tank where Noah Thomas was found. She described the tank as being 10 to 12 feet from the back of the trailer. The septic tank had a black plastic lid on it, which she was able to remove easily.

"The investigator testified that she looked inside of the tank with her flashlight but saw nothing but sewer water.

When it turned daylight on March 23, she looked at the lid closer and found that there was one screw connected to the lid. She testified that metal detectors were used to try and locate the other screws, but they weren’t successful.

BBM... Was the screw there when she first "removed" the lid? If she removed it, as the statement is worded, that sounds like no to me. But there was one the next time she looked? I wish if it's just a matter of wording, I wish they would have clarified this. Either she "removed" the lid (away from the pipe opening), "slid" the lid aside (with it being connected with one screw, or, the screw was just dangling through one of the holes in the lid, but not connected to the screw hole on the edge of the pipe.

Nevertheless, she "removed" the lid. I really want to know about this screw.. The lid must have looked like it was on correctly and not overly disturbed, because she felt more that a look inside wasn't necessary. I still can't swallow that he fell in himself and managed to get the lid back on in such a way that it appeared in a normal, undisturbed position. Especially if it was connected with one screw. That would eliminate the magical flipping lid possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I told myself I wouldn't come back here. Seeing Noah's face in pictures tears me up. I still believe he deserves justice he isn't going to get, and I wish I could just let it go as an accident. But I can't.

I am in the county over from where this happened and from what I have heard being said she would be better off in jail. This case gets me too. The only thing is if she doesn't pay here on earth she will when her time comes. Justice for Noah

http://m.roanoke.com/news/crime/pul...b54-8897-54ba-bcaf-09ca21dfb88c.html?mode=jqm

Two of the charges, one for each of White's children, pertain to the period in which prosecutors say that she had left the 5-year-old and 6-month-old home alone. The third charge, Fleenor said, pertains to the period later that morning when she allegedly took a nap and Noah went missing....

a major question the court will have to decide is whether or not falling asleep while children are home qualifies as a willful act of neglect.

Surely not... Can falling asleep in front of the tv when your kids are in the house really be a crime?

An investigator with the Claytor Lake Drug Task Force testified that in his opinion there was a small marijuana growing operation inside of Ashley White&#8217;s home...

Carolyn Guerin with the FBI testified that when she arrived at Ashley White&#8217;s home and opened the door of the trailer, smoke came out...

Another special agent testified that when she entered the trailer it was full of cigarette smoke. Two team members who have breathing issues had to put masks on before entering the trailer...

White's lawyer began questioning [landlord and neighbour Gary] Meadows about the septic tank where Noah's body was found. Meadows said he had a retired plumber make some repairs to the tank in 2014 and that he didn't know a permit was needed for the work...

White's attorney told Meadows that it was a class 1 misdemeanor to have work done on the septic tank and not have it inspected by the health department. Meadows said he was not aware of that.

http://m.wdbj7.com/news/local/bench-trial-for-ashley-white-to-begin-thursday/37939286

http://m.roanoke.com/news/crime/pul...b54-8897-54ba-bcaf-09ca21dfb88c.html?mode=jqm

Surely not... Can falling asleep in front of the tv when your kids are in the house really be a crime?

At the time, I'm sure it was reported that she had said she actually went to bed - in her bedroom - leaving Noah to watch tv in another room. That is very different to accidentally falling asleep with them.

That's if it even happened that way - who knows what the really story is.

Shall we re-ignite the debate about whether it's okay to accidentally fall asleep when watching your kids? :wink:

SW was no "mother of the year" by anyone's estimation. Just hearing the landlord discuss how he had to clean the trailer once they moved out gives just an inkling into how they all lived. WTH? A grow operation in that tiny sh??-hole of a trailer? (No disrespect meant for any one else living in a trailer!)

RIP Noah. And may all of he goodness of the world be bestowed to your sister.

:bump: as trial has begun and many posters may not know? ( I just realized this morning it started yesterday?)

I have RL today and Monday, yeah I can help with tweets starting next Tuesday.

Shall we re-ignite the debate about whether it's okay to accidentally fall asleep when watching your kids? :wink:

SW was no "mother of the year" by anyone's estimation. Just hearing the landlord discuss how he had to clean the trailer once they moved out gives just an inkling into how they all lived. WTH? A grow operation in that tiny sh??-hole of a trailer? (No disrespect meant for any one else living in a trailer!)

RIP Noah. And may all of he goodness of the world be bestowed to your sister.

There's a few debates with this case that make me weary just thinking about them, lol.

BBM:

Fleenor called two final witnesses from social services to talk about the kind of mother White was to her two children.

One social worker testified that she had spoken with White in the days after Noah went missing. When asked why White had left the 5-year-old boy alone with his 6-month-old sister the morning he went missing, White reportedly said that "Noah was responsible."

The social worker said she then explained that Noah was a child who did not need to be responsible for an infant.

These kinds of parenting decisions have been the backbone of Fleenor's case against White.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/p...cle_18cb561e-d856-5ebf-86d1-021a05a387c7.html

A bit more of what she told the social worker (Squires):

White also told Squires what happened when she woke up and discovered Noah wasn&#8217;t there. She said she put a diaper on the baby and tried to find him. When she couldn&#8217;t, she called authorities.

Squires asked White if she was prescribed anything, and White said she was on Suboxone. Suboxone is typically used to wean a person off opiates. A forensic toxicologist testified Thursday that Suboxone can make people drowsy.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/ash...22?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_WDBJ7

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
distrustHUMANS24
Back