VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you @acehard for those stills. They are so clear. They tell me yes, the logo on all photos are taped over, there is no LL Bean logo, and while I thought it was female, now I agree male. Is that a very narrow bridge of nose I see?

Someone upthread mentioned a hit type killing. I am leaning this way also. It was all so prepared, clothing all black and logo taped, no suspects for a year now. (I watched The Americans so I may be biased)

It was stated Scott had a corporate sales job. Do we know where?

Thank you @acehard for those stills. They are so clear. They tell me yes, the logo on all photos are taped over, there is no LL Bean logo, and while I thought it was female, now I agree male. Is that a very narrow bridge of nose I see?

Someone upthread mentioned a hit type killing. I am leaning this way also. It was all so prepared, clothing all black and logo taped, no suspects for a year now. (I watched The Americans so I may be biased)

It was posted upthread along with his LinkedIn... I think it was Konica Minolta.
He was 24 and a graduate of Radford (more athlete than CIA recruit IMO). I don’t think his career was a factor. Is it possible he has a family member who could have been the target of such an act (eg kill your son to send a message), I don’t know. It seems more likely there was a crazed stalker / jealous type but what do I know? It’s all very unusual.

I agree with others: no sign of break in, perpetrator was most likely known, or lived/worked in building, or had a key. He let them in or they came in without breaking in the apartment door. So why hasn’t he been caught?
His roommate would have known building people/vendors to ID suspects, his girlfriend would have known the jealous types for the most part, his dad would know about corporate threats (but if it was a hired gun, he wouldn’t necessarily know the individual). Who could be a suspect that others might not know... Gym contacts, work contacts, college contacts, a crazed person at a place he goes alone like lunch place, doctor’s office, coffee shop?? Just brainstorming!

I stopped following this thread until I saw flyers about this case in the area.
Another thing that confuses me about this is how initially the police once said they didn't believe there was a threat to the public. This led me to believe they thought it was someone he knew and they were closing in on them. Now that we know that immediate friends and family have been ruled out and they don't know who did it, how can that statement still apply? It makes no sense.

I am wondering if the logo was taped over because it had a company name? My son uses a backpack that I was given thru my job and has our company's logo on it. I can't identify the brand, and I think unfortunately a lot of brands of backpack offer customization with company logos these days. I wish this was getting more attention in local news - the more local people see this, the better the chance at an ID.

I am wondering if the logo was taped over because it had a company name? My son uses a backpack that I was given thru my job and has our company's logo on it. I can't identify the brand, and I think unfortunately a lot of brands of backpack offer customization with company logos these days. I wish this was getting more attention in local news - the more local people see this, the better the chance at an ID.
Good point!

This is definitely what I thought as well, a customized company logo backpack.

Also the whole bike messenger attire angle is really interesting to explore. There are a lot of couriers in the DC area. The question is, is it the suspect's profession or just a disguise?

A couple things, a lot of the gear the suspect has appears to be related to running. The backpack though, I suspect is North Face. Perhaps the borealis model. Also, Justice For Scott said that they have a suspect in mind, which means they must have an idea of what happened, and why. I would love to hear more about this "suspect", even if it's just a small explanation as to why they think this "suspect" is worth looking into.

That is a very strange hoodie. What kind of hoodie is that? Imo, it's ugly.

Is this a bicycle rider outfit? The material is shiny.

Also, is it possible he's wearing glasses?
Learning as I go..

It may be impossible to identify the clothing and backpack the POI was wearing with any real degree of certainty, as most of the items are black or black camo in color. The pixelation makes identifying the details difficult, and then you've got the possibility of duct tape... But I'm sure that in addition to the body size, shape and gait characteristics, LE is hoping that somebody out there in the public might be able to identify the person in the video and video stills by recognizing what he was wearing.

They might remember a family member, friend, associate or co-worker who owned and/or wore similar items or combinations of items. Then again, the clothing could just have been purchased by the perp for just this one crime, and immediately discarded afterwards.

Like JusticeforScott, I think the shoes may be 2018 Nike Free RN. But strangely, there's no white swoosh logo on the shoes .. Yet I don't believe that in 2018 they produced a black model with a black swoosh. Maybe the shoe logos are covered by duct tape?

There's definitely no duct tape on the gloves, which are clearly Under Armour brand.

The pack could be anything. I agree that it's not LLB. Light reflected off of either tape or a reflective strip in that area on the back gave the illusion of a logo. Actually, in my online searches for backpacks, I have found almost NO backpacks even have a logo in that location - so I'm currently leaning toward it being a reflective strip - and not duct tape - which I think would've also been conspicuous.. but jmo

No way to ID the mask.

As others have opined, I think there's a possibility that the perp was wearing glasses (or even safety glasses). Something clear though - not sunglasses (which on its own seems odd, as you'd think that wearing sunglasses would be a no brainer for any person trying to disguise themself).

My best guess on the jacket/hoodie and pants? black Under Armour Coldgear Swacket Jacket and Swacket Pants in black (sorry I can't provide a link using my phone - maybe somebody can help me out?). Two rows/seams at the top of the hood (and hood brim that does overhang a bit), double hand warmer pocket out front, full zip, high end coated (sorta shiny) fleece material with weatherproof properties, and modern fit.. Dark gray and black. Don't know if some may have a very small logo on left chest (but this also could've been taped up - maybe we can get a close up of left chest to see if there's tape or a logo..).

Swacket Pants can be bought in the same material and colors as the the jacket. They are also modern fit, with pockets on the sides, and appear to have tapered legs leading to close cuffing at the ankle.

Jmo

What do you guys think?

Men's ColdGear® Swacket Pants. Link to pants

Men's ColdGear® Swacket
https://underarmour.scene7.com/is/i...on,on&bgc=F0F0F0&wid=566&hei=708&size=566,708

My best guess on the jacket/hoodie and pants? black Under Armour Coldgear Swacket Jacket and Swacket Pants in black (sorry I can't provide a link using my phone - maybe somebody can help me out?). Two rows/seams at the top of the hood (and hood brim that does overhang a bit)
https://underarmour.scene7.com/is/image/Underarmour/V5-1320710-001_SC?rp=standard-0pad|pdpMainDesktop&scl=1&fmt=jpg&qlt=85&resMode=sharp2&cache=on,on&bgc=F0F0F0&wid=566&hei=708&size=566,708

Swacket Pants can be bought in the same material and colors as the the jacket

Last edited:
I stopped following this thread until I saw flyers about this case in the area.
Another thing that confuses me about this is how initially the police once said they didn't believe there was a threat to the public. This led me to believe they thought it was someone he knew and they were closing in on them. Now that we know that immediate friends and family have been ruled out and they don't know who did it, how can that statement still apply? It makes no sense.

I don't know if immediate friends and family have been ruled out. I think the 'threat to the public' statement could be that, it's not a terrorist attack and no random gun nut running around. This is a high concentration building(s) with a 1k people and there were some riots, political incidents happening then.

Want to comment on how suspect got in the building. Does the building have multiple entry ways other than front door of building ? Suspect likely tailgated someone into a side entrance or front of the building and took elevator, walked into an unlocked apartment and commited the homicide. It’s not uncommon for Uber Eats drivers to walk into apartment buildings in Ballston and deliver food to someone’s door..

Also want to touch on video surveillance of the POI. He ran towards the DARPA building which has an abundance of CCTVs. Has the federal government released those tapes yet to ACPD? Were they even relevant ? Would of shown his path running towards Golds Gym or down N Quincy

Why go duct tape the logo of the backpack but then choose gloves with such an obvious logo? Leads me to believe the backpack had something unique (initials embroidered, after market patch, company name, as was mentioned previously here). If it were North Face for example, why cover it up? The counter-argument to this, is that maybe he wore this backpack regularly but not the gloves so people might think of him when seeing these images (that he knew were going to show up on CCTV). Maybe he purchased to gloves for this crime but based on the lengths he went to be non-identifiable, I doubt he'd purchase them soon before the crime. But if they were bought for this crime, it brings me back to why gloves with highly visible logo?

Maybe he stole the gloves because of hand wounds, thinking knife maybe was weapon and Scott wrestled knife away and cut him, so he needed to cover them up with gloves from the apartment or building?

Learning as I go..

It may be impossible to identify the clothing and backpack the POI was wearing with any real degree of certainty, as most of the items are black or black camo in color. The pixelation makes identifying the details difficult, and then you've got the possibility of duct tape... But I'm sure that in addition to the body size, shape and gait characteristics, LE is hoping that somebody out there in the public might be able to identify the person in the video and video stills by recognizing what he was wearing.

They might remember a family member, friend, associate or co-worker who owned and/or wore similar items or combinations of items. Then again, the clothing could just have been purchased by the perp for just this one crime, and immediately discarded afterwards.

Like JusticeforScott, I think the shoes may be 2018 Nike Free RN. But strangely, there's no white swoosh logo on the shoes .. Yet I don't believe that in 2018 they produced a black model with a black swoosh. Maybe the shoe logos are covered by duct tape?

There's definitely no duct tape on the gloves, which are clearly Under Armour brand.

The pack could be anything. I agree that it's not LLB. Light reflected off of either tape or a reflective strip in that area on the back gave the illusion of a logo. Actually, in my online searches for backpacks, I have found almost NO backpacks even have a logo in that location - so I'm currently leaning toward it being a reflective strip - and not duct tape - which I think would've also been conspicuous.. but jmo

No way to ID the mask.

As others have opined, I think there's a possibility that the perp was wearing glasses (or even safety glasses). Something clear though - not sunglasses (which on its own seems odd, as you'd think that wearing sunglasses would be a no brainer for any person trying to disguise themselves).

My best guess on the jacket/hoodie and pants? black Under Armour Coldgear Swacket Jacket and Swacket Pants in black (sorry I can't provide a link using my phone - maybe somebody can help me out?). Two rows/seams at the top of the hood (and hood brim that does overhang a bit), double hand warmer pocket out front, full zip, high end coated (sorta shiny) fleece material with weatherproof properties, and modern fit.. Dark gray and black. Don't know if some may have a very small logo on left chest (but this also could've been taped up - maybe we can get a close up of left chest to see if there's tape or a logo..).

Swacket Pants can be bought in the same material and colors as the the jacket. They are also modern fit, with pockets on the sides, and appear to have tapered legs leading to close cuffing at the ankle.

Jmo

What do you guys think?

Using a still frame published in an article by ARL Now, I am certain it's a North Face backpack; likely the Recon based on other angles showing the large mesh section in the center.. North Face backpacks have a unique band (for lack of a better word) on both straps located around the shoulder region. If you zoom in on the photo of the POI this is clearly visible. Unfortunately, North Face backpacks are very common.

As for the hood, I would say a hood with two seams is uncommon, and that a hood with two pronounced and protruding seams in very uncommon. The first is a jacket made by North Face but the seams are not as pronounced, and the second is made by Burton which has the two pronounced seams (select the darkest color when viewing.) Owning a different color of the Burton jacket myself, I can attest that the hood hangs over my head in a way that almost covers my eyes.

Maybe he stole the gloves because of hand wounds, thinking knife maybe was weapon and Scott wrestled knife away and cut him, so he needed to cover them up with gloves from the apartment or building?
Assuming what others of speculated about two of the clips being from before the murder and two after, I don't think he stole the gloves after stab wounds. I just don't think a man that goes through this much effort to conceal his identity would enter the crime scene without gloves.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ty1220
Back