VA VA - Smithfield, UnkMale 17-23, Found In The Woods, Sept' 18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

victoriarobinson642

Reaction score
Added to NAMUS:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

----

Demographics
Sex - Male
Race / Ethnicity - Uncertain
Estimated Age Group - Late Teen/Young Adult
Estimated Age Range (Years) - 17-23
Height - 4' 11"-5' 6"(59-66 inches) , Estimated

---

Location Found Map

Location - Smithfield, Virginia
County - Isle of Wight County
Found On Tribal Land - No
Circumstances of Recovery - A man walking in a wooded area found skeletal remains; he took them home and did not alert police. They were found 20 years later by his ex-wife cleaning out the garage. DBF listed is the date law enforcement was made aware of the remains. It is unclear what the exact date was that they were found.

---

So the man originally found them sometime in 1998?
I have so many questions. Is the man still alive? If so, was he questioned? Does the ex-wife remember anything? Did she know he brought a body back home back then? If not, how did she know he was the one to bring them?

What really happened?
Did he take them from an old graveyard, or are they medical specimens, and he doesn't want to admit it?
I can't see finding bones randomly outdoors and taking them home for your garage storage instead of just going home and calling police.
It doesn't make sense.

But if it did happen, then a family has been missing their loved-one for approximately 20 years.

There's several missing males from the nearby Virginia Beach area in the late 90s/early 2000s. Here's a couple that look like close fits:

Gerald Bradshaw The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Age 21, missing since April 1982. At 5'8" only slightly above the height estimate.
Last seen in Virginia Beach.

Marcus Barrell The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Age 22, missing since 2001, also from Va. Beach. Slightly taller

GB's case makes me so sad.
MB doesn't seem to have a thread here. I'm going to create one.

I can't see finding bones randomly outdoors and taking them home for your garage storage instead of just going home and calling police.
It doesn't make sense.
If there's one thing I've learned since becoming interested in unidentified remains, it's that this is WAY more common than you would think.

It seems that some people, if they come across old-looking clean bones in a remote area, just assume they're ancient bones and it doesn't occur to them that it would be a police matter. Also, especially in the time before DNA could be used to identify older remains, people might assume it was impossible to identify a person from bones. So human bones found lying around might be viewed as an interesting curiosity, but unknowable and anonymous. Almost like finding a deer skull in the woods.

I'm not justifying this behaviour, just trying to understand where it might come from.

@snowgoose Thanks for the insight. I can see how it could happen more now.

@Curious_in_NC
Thread for MB:
VA - VA - Marcus Sesrell Barrell, 22, Virginia Beach, 10 Dec 2001

I'll be surprised if this is MB, though, because it sounds like he is a victim of premeditated homicide whereas the UID could possibly be a victim of misadventure/ death from natural causes/ or a less-planned homicide and panicked leaving him in the forest, but that just my initial speculation... ETA : I also think MB is probably too tall at 5'9" - 6'0".

It would help to have more info on this story. The man may not have trusted the police or perhaps he had been in trouble with the law in the past, about one thing or another and didn't want to call them about it. Yeah, it's odd to keep human remains in your garage but maybe he intended to look into them more one day and it just never happened. He may indeed have assumed that they were ancient remains. Hmm.

I found this man who went missing 3 years before 1998, when he could have died.
Original

His Name is Sean Crispin (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs))
I'm not gonna bother making a table as there is barley anything on Sean or the Doe. Missing from Virginia Beach, about an hour away.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back