GUILTY Vanderbilt Rape Retrial - Brandon Vandenburg, and Cory Batey

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The roommate was in the room part of the time. He said he was asleep and kind of drifted in and out of sleep and then got up and left. He did not participate in any part of the crime. It's not illegal to be asleep in bed and someone else is doing something illegal. His defense could easily be he didn't know a crime was being committed -- remember he didn't see them carrying her into the room, he didn't see her drink, he didn't know what condition she was in, he was asleep in the top bunk.

Should he have helped? Yes, but he admitted on the stand he was scared. That's not a crime either. The state would not be able to successfully charge and prosecute him with anything. I'm not comfortable painting him with the same brush as the others.

Thanks for the clarification. I was't sure of the (bbm) facts you listed. I thought perhaps he was in the room, saw her unconscious body being carried in, and witnessed/listened to the multiple rapes.

That's the story he told and stuck with, so if he's lying about it, it's never been discovered. You obviously can't be responsible for what someone else does and certainly not when you're asleep. He didn't aid and abet, he didn't coerce anyone, he didn't obstruct justice, he had nothing to do with the young woman, didn't touch her, talk to or about her, and didn't interact with anyone, including the other players.

It would be akin to holding someone in a store responsible if a robber came in and robbed the place and the person who was in the store when the robber came in left and got out.

Hopefully after this conviction the other perps will take a plea & save the victim from having to go through three more trials. I'm guessing they care only for themselves. Their actions are inexplicable. No sentence could be too harsh.

Glad to finally find a discussion for this trial...a few observations and would welcome comments from those that followed this retrial.

Where in the world did Ms. Teasley come from. If I hear her say okay or shuffle papers and repeat the answers I will smash the computer...she is so inexperienced and clearly ill prepared for this trial. Why as this was imploding did the lead attorney Robinson (not much better) not insist on taking over....I have seen some strange stories about how she came on board and she has her own law firm but wonder what people have heard.

The last day was to my way of thinking not honestly fair for either side...Teasley wants to use it for appeal with the rush on everything but I am not so sure it did not work to their advantage. First it started with the craziness surrounding Batey testifying...I agree with the judge (Mr. Calm) that the decision was anticipated and should have been made in advance and everyone on board...maybe it was and he insisted. When he got up on the stand and blurted out about his 15 month old son that was so calculated...and honestly could have been a reason for jury to go light on him. But at the end the judge doing the speed reading and jury going that late after a very long day could have an impact either way...maybe they were just too tired to argue and gave in to many lesser as that is easier on the conscience? I don't think they should have pushed that hard the last day.

I feel bad for the victim she has made a statement and honestly with everything right there on video she (nor I) can understand why the full maximum charges were not upheld??? I think this sends a very bad message and I wonder how many women will even come forward again?

Now there is the circus that will be Vandenberg if he even goes to trial...his slick father will get him off someway...and this girl will have to get involved again.

And then all the "guys" that saw this and there are probably many more makes you really wonder what is the norm in these dorms???

Sad trial all the way around.

agree Colonel...I was shocked when I saw this cocky hipster look...clearly he has not let the first trial get him down...time to father a child...was wondering if that girl that got up and said she was his girlfriend for 2 years is the mother? and the look...In the first trial there were times I just thought he seemed like a decent kid (young) that got in way over his head and got caught...but this time he looked so different...way older and like he really did not care at all about what he did. Last time I believe he apologized...this time I saw no remorse and yet this jury went lighter on him....I think they were sleep deprived and expected to be home on Sat. one way or another. Not sure I am for sequestered juries after this one.

Also someone mentioned the roommate sleeping in the top bunk...he was on the stand and his family got him lawyered up immediately...got off pretty easy. He did mention that the girl was unconscious so he knew it was not normal...do kids go unconsious routinely in dorms? Sad. As for the masturbation on the towel..sorry but this guy heard some of this stuff and got excited...again what is going on here? He did not even know Brandon..got him as a roomie probably due to football connection...and just put up with this. Unconditionally I can say Brandon and probably the rest have done stuff like this before...not the first time only first time they got caught and then only a fluke because of the video being reviewed due to something else. I think Brandon used date rape drugs routinely.

1. Did the roommate testify as to when he um, deposited his semen on that towel? Or was is assumed it happened that night.

2. MasterBatey is not getting off easy. He was convicted of the most serious offense AND of other (yes lesser included) offenses. His minimum time in prison will be 15 years, but he could get many more. I don't consider that getting off easy. That said, I do think there was plenty of evidence for the jury to convict him of all charges, but they made their call.

3. What rush? The trial came to the point where the defense had no more witnesses to call other than Batey. At that point it was his choice to take the stand or not. As was said by others, including the judge, this was not a surprise to the defense. They knew this point in the trial was coming. Further, Batey got this 2nd chance (re-trial) that he shouldn't really have gotten, but due to the 1 juror from the previous trial, there wouldn't have been a mistrial at all. I don't think an appeal on this issue will be deemed valid by an appellate court.

4. Vandenburg is not going to get off, no matter what his daddy does. The charges aren't going away, there will be a new/different jury, and once again the video plainly shows Vandenrapey. The facts don't change and I don't know of anyone who thinks Vandenrapey is innocent in this case. In addition, the others will testify against him. In some ways (but not all ways), Vandenrapey comes off worse than MasterBatey because he's the one who in the first place orchestrated and directed this whole rapefest of someone he should have been protecting. He's going down, of that I have no doubt.

Also someone mentioned the roommate sleeping in the top bunk...he was on the stand and his family got him lawyered up immediately...got off pretty easy. He did mention that the girl was unconscious so he knew it was not normal...do kids go unconsious routinely in dorms? Sad. As for the masturbation on the towel..sorry but this guy heard some of this stuff and got excited...again what is going on here? He did not even know Brandon..got him as a roomie probably due to football connection...and just put up with this. Unconditionally I can say Brandon and probably the rest have done stuff like this before...not the first time only first time they got caught and then only a fluke because of the video being reviewed due to something else. I think Brandon used date rape drugs routinely.

bbm

I have wondered about those things (bbm) ever since the first trial -- it certainly wouldn't surprise me that it was not the first time for either of those things to have happened before this particular night. I also wondered if the roomie did hear some of the goings-on for some of the time.

Vandenberg was the director and master of doings at this party and he should be considered an accomplice to everything that happened and of course, more than that. Whatever sentences he gets for his ring-leadership and the rest of the charges, let's hope, I'll say again, that "consecutive" is indeed in the vocabulary of Tennessee jurisprudence. Grrrrrr.

JMHO.

http://www.tennessean.com/videos/news/2016/04/09/82828756/
'
If you were so drunk, that you don't remember what you were doing, how do you remember that you felt forced'?

I'm glad for his son that he is going to prison, and I hope for a long time. Can you imagine what a young boy would learn from this 'father'?
All MOO only

Vanderbilt rape jury negotiated compromise with holdout

Jurors heard from a man who saw the rape and watched part of it themselves in graphic videos, but one of the 12 still wasn't convinced.

Eleven of the jurors were in favor of convicting former Vanderbilt University football player Cory Batey on all seven counts as charged, according to two jurors who spoke to The Tennessean.

One juror was a holdout, the jurors said, and the verdicts had to be unanimous. After 2 1/2 hours there was compromise in the deliberation room.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...-jury-negotiated-compromise-holdout/82954312/

Hopefully the judge will make it all up at sentencing.

Jury chosen for Vandenburg’s retrial in Vanderbilt rape case

A jury has been selected for the retrial of Brandon Vandenburg in the Vanderbilt rape case.

The selection process started Wednesday in Memphis and wrapped up Thursday evening. The group consists of nine women, five men, and two alternates.

The jury was selected in Memphis after the case garnered so much attention both locally and nationally. Jurors will be brought to Nashville where they will be sequestered during the duration of the trial.

They were told to prepare for up to seven days away from home.

Vandenburg, a former Vanderbilt University football player, will go on trial for a second time for the alleged rape rape an unconscious female in June 2013.

http://wkrn.com/2016/06/08/jury-selection-for-vandenburg-re-trial-to-begin-in-memphis/

His retrial has been set to begin Monday at 9 am.

[video=twitter;742349302148804608]https://twitter.com/bundgaard2/status/742349302148804608[/video]

Defendant Brandon Vandenburg with family members and one of his lawyers for first day of #vandytrial @WKRN

They will. With all the bad press the stupid judge in the stanford case got, you bet people in general are pretty darn aware of their duty. he will be convicted and i bet you the book is going to hit him in the smug face so fast he won't even have time to blink.

p.s. totally watching the live stream at http://www.courtchatter.com/#!brandon-vandenburg-retrial-live-stream-2/c1kie

hope it's ok to post...

Thank you for the links to the trial. I've been gone from Websleuths for a while (had to have em email my username and everything!) but have been following this case intently for a long time. I don't believe it's getting the publicity it deserves. I believe he will be convicted again, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared that he might not be convicted of the harshest charges due to fact that he was unable to "perform." I hope it is seen as in the first trial, that his participation is equal and binding per the law. According to the analysis I have read, it is treated as the same as if two people rob a store and harm someone, they are both equally responsible, even if only one did the injuring. Is this how you've interpreted it? Thank you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevewho
Back