MISTRIAL Vanderbilt Rape Trial - Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I find it a little suspicious that the defense says this just after the verdict is issued. Could they have known beforehand and kept quiet so they could have a reason to contest the verdict
Per Channel 5's Chris Conte, Live Report~ one of the jurors was raped 20 years ago and didn't disclose that. Fletcher Long, says he will be filing a motion to vacate this Jury. DA Funk said he is quite confident that this will not happen. Nothing will probably be said or done tho, until sentencing.

I do believe the defense kept this ace in their pocket, ready to use it in case they needed to (talking about the intel on the juror who had been assaulted 20 yrs before).

I didn't watch the Dr. Phil interview because, what's the point. Batey was going to do his "I'm a victim" schtick, and I don't want to give these rapists any more attention.

thanks for the link...watched it.....he is pathetic...kept repeated some jargon his inept attorney gave to him about this "not being representative of who i am"...just kept repeating this phrase which is really not something that just rolls off a college student. His trying to distance himself from Brandon also an unsucessful tactic and then he tells Phil he would like to "hang with him again" that was too much for Phil. Unless he can convince the victim herself to reduce his sentence I trust the judge to do what is right here and I believe that is 15 years. Sorry Corey but that is how it works.

Agree with you guys on the Dr. Phil interview. It is all about him. Batey does not get it at all and I think this interview will show the judge just that.

thanks for the link...watched it.....he is pathetic...kept repeated some jargon his inept attorney gave to him about this "not being representative of who i am"...just kept repeating this phrase which is really not something that just rolls off a college student. His trying to distance himself from Brandon also an unsucessful tactic and then he tells Phil he would like to "hang with him again" that was too much for Phil. Unless he can convince the victim herself to reduce his sentence I trust the judge to do what is right here and I believe that is 15 years. Sorry Corey but that is how it works.

I thought the sentence for all charges combined could be up to 145 years?

He got emotional talking about his mother, his father, and himself. He defended Vandenburg's "good character." And the victim? No emotion, just hopes she forgives him because that's not really who he is and he wishes he could tell her in person. No tears, no shame, no remorse. I don't believe he's sorry at all.

And the thing about telling the coach. Because staying on the football team matters most.

JMO.

He got emotional talking about his mother, his father, and himself. He defended Vandenburg's "good character." And the victim? No emotion, just hopes she forgives him because that's not really who he is and he wishes he could tell her in person. No tears, no shame, no remorse. I don't believe he's sorry at all.

And the thing about telling the coach. Because staying on the football team matters most.

JMO.

BBM. Because after all, Vandenburg was a generous host. :puke:

Enjoy jail, loser.

I'm not sure if he was ever taught right from wrong, or if he was, he just doesn't have the depth of feeling to really get it.

He has BIG issues IMO. Anybody who can rape and pee on someone and say it was for 300 years of slavery is cuckoo, I don't care how much they've had to drink. Something did not form correctly in their soul. And actually, that goes for all of them--it is crazy that they all came together on that night.

I would like to get an answer to Dr. Phil's "How did he know?" question.

Can you imagine these two guys -- used to good meals, a nice dorm, great training equipment, tutors if needed, all the attention, etc., etc., etc., and now they're being served jailhouse food, sleeping in beds that are much smaller than the ones they prolly had at Vandy (at least the athletes had longer & wider beds than the "regular" students when I was in college), no beautiful campus to admire and enjoy, etc., etc., etc. What a quick turn-around for them. Talk about prolly crying oneself to sleep -- I wouldn't be surprised. It will take 'em a while to get used to that -- but they will -- they'll have plenty of time...

I don't think the judge will do them any favors at sentencing time. What they did was disgraceful, horribly cruel and with no regard for the victim's feelings or her dignity as a person, nor women in general IMO, just pure selfish lust and showing off in front of each other. She was not a human being in their eyes, IMO, she was just a party favor which allowed them to be Big Men. Grrrrrr.

Many people will be watching this sentencing, IMO. I hope and feel that His Honor will do the right thing for the young woman and set an example for our society to say that this type conduct will not be tolerated and will be punished.

Night, night, boyz, and sleep tight.

i believe in this state allows the sentences to run concurrently.

WKRN ‏@WKRN 37m37 minutes ago
A Calif. man charged with tampering w/ evidence in the #Vandytrial will appear in court today http://wkrn.tv/1KNKbCV

Chris Conte ‏@NC5_ChrisConte 1h1 hour ago
Miles Finely in court today. Seems his attorney is in Putnam County. Not sure when he'll be here #VandyTrial @NC5

WSMV-TV, Nashville ‏@WSMV 6m6 minutes ago
Update on Miles Finley hearing: RT @WSMVHayleyMason: Court is still in recess. Could be another hour

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by rob

i believe in this state allows the sentences to run concurrently.

But is concurrent sentencing required or is it within the judge's discretion? (In NC, I see all types of variations and it is within the judge's discretion to decide whether "concurrent" or "consecutive.") Does anyone know how it works in Tennessee?

But is concurrent sentencing required or is it within the judge's discretion? (In NC, I see all types of variations and it is within the judge's discretion to decide whether "concurrent" or "consecutive.") Does anyone know how it works in Tennessee?

From what I remember during the gavel to gavel coverage, I thought the lawyer with Nick Beres said it would be concurrent.

WKRN ‏@WKRN 2m2 minutes ago
Case against man charged with evidence tampering in Vanderbilt rape continued; Miles Finley did not appear in court: http://wkrn.tv/1KNKbCV

Finley’s attorney appeared in court Thursday. Finley himself did not appear. The case was continued.

Question if anyone happens to know or knows someone who knows:

Let's say a college student rapey rapist sends you (the royal you in this example) a picture or video of what appeared to be going on like in this case. Your phone receives the message/video because it's set to automatically receive incoming content. You think it could be some kind of spam or maybe a virus and you don't open or watch whatever was sent and just delete it.

Have you committed a crime of evidence tampering? Or is it only evidence tampering if you *know* you've got something that would be considered evidence and that thing you now have could implicate someone in a crime and you decide to delete it after seeing it. In other words, what's the standard that must exist to make it a crime versus just deleting something unwanted and uninvited you were sent, digitally?

Does watching or looking at what you were sent make a difference? Or is the difference being alerted to a potential crime and then getting rid of the file sent to you, which you did not solicit, to protect the person who sent it?

From what I remember during the gavel to gavel coverage, I thought the lawyer with Nick Beres said it would be concurrent.

Bummer.

(Thanks for the reply, ~Lyric~ !)

Question if anyone happens to know or knows someone who knows:

Let's say a college student rapey rapist sends you (the royal you in this example) a picture or video of what appeared to be going on like in this case. Your phone receives the message/video because it's set to automatically receive incoming content. You think it could be some kind of spam or maybe a virus and you don't open or watch whatever was sent and just delete it.

Have you committed a crime of evidence tampering? Or is it only evidence tampering if you *know* you've got something that would be considered evidence and that thing you now have could implicate someone in a crime and you decide to delete it after seeing it. In other words, what's the standard that must exist to make it a crime versus just deleting something unwanted and uninvited you were sent, digitally?

Does watching or looking at what you were sent make a difference? Or is the difference being alerted to a potential crime and then getting rid of the file sent to you, which you did not solicit, to protect the person who sent it?

You can get in trouble just for having child *advertiser censored* on your computer even if it was never viewed--not sure if it is the same for the situation you outlined or not.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2015/02/17/st-amendment-groups-seek-join-suit-vanderbilt-rape-records/23578147/ Two First Amendment groups have requested permission to file briefs in support of a public records lawsuit brought by The Tennessean and other media organizations that goes before the state's Supreme Court in May seeking evidence in a rape case against four former Vanderbilt University football players.

The Tennessean, eight media organizations and the Tennessee Coalition for Open Government filed suit against Metro Nashville last fall seeking access to records in the case that were not created by government entities but were in the hands of police. Those records include text messages between Vanderbilt football coaches and players.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2015/02/12/case-co-defendant-vanderbilt-rape-delayed/23315117/

Vandenburg and Batey are scheduled for sentencing March 6. That date will likely change because of scheduling conflicts among the seven attorneys working the case.

When Finley's case came up before Judge Monte Watkins on Thursday, Finley was not there. That was apparently the result of confusion among the attorneys. Since Finley must be present for the hearing, it was rescheduled to April.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back