Vatican calling for Boycott of Da Vinci Code

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
TisHerself said:
What do you believe Catholics believe his life was? How do you know according to them he did not have much of a life?
Well, because you haven't got him doing anything much until he was 33, that's a third of someone's life time lol

I'm sure you guys think he didn't have any family....when it's pretty well common knowledge anywhere but in the Bible, that he did.

narlacat said:
Well, because you haven't got him doing anything much until he was 33, that's a third of someone's life time lol

I'm sure you guys think he didn't have any family....when it's pretty well common knowledge anywhere but in the Bible, that he did.
Really? And where did this common knowledge come from? Practically all surviving Christian writings of the first century are found in the Bible. Most scholars will agree that the authors of the New Testament Gospels were writing as theologians, not biographers.

Sure.
The Bible has been edited to suit.
I can't quote any one source as to where I get my information, I'll check my bookshelf out and get back :D
I forget where I read stuff..
You probably won't accept my sources as legit anyway....

narlacat said:

Were else does it say he has a family? What common Knowledge?

And anyway that is not what I asked you, I asked you what is it you Think Catholics thought Jesus Life was? Since you seem to be so knowledgeable in telling us what we know. What exactly do we think his life was? Who exactly do we think he was? What exactly do we think he was doing here on earth?

narlacat said:
Sure.
I can't quote any one source as to where I get my information, I'll check my bookshelf out and get back :D
Narla--

Before you get pummeled you best keep track of where you read something. "The Bible" has been edited in the sense that there are numerous versions.

Catholics have their own version. Regardless, I doubt one would find ANY version that said Jesus was MARRIED or UNMARRIED. There is just no mention.

There is a version mentioned in a link I provided earlier from a Hindustani article that there are writings suggesting Jesus had a brother, which the article suggested shot a hole in the Virgin birth theory. (Coptic Gnostic Gospel as source)
http://www.essene.com/Gospels/GnosticGospels.html interesting link for anyone interested.

I believe in miraculous birth. Christians are one tradition that has such teaching, it is not an exclusively Christian view.

TisHerself said:
Were else does it say he has a family? What common Knowledge?

And anyway that is not what I asked you, I asked you what is it you Think Catholics thought Jesus Life was? Since you seem to be so knowledgeable in telling us what we know. What exactly do we think his life was? Who exactly do we think he was? What exactly do we think he was doing here on earth?
Lots of questions, I'll disregard the first two seeing that is not what you asked me :p

I don't quite know exactly what you guys think of Jesus...have you checked out my siggy Tis :confused: lol
I think you think he was the Son of God and believe in the whole trinity thing...
I think you believe in the immaculate conception.
I think you believe in the resurrection.
I think you think he came to save humanity.
I could be wrong.

All I know is what I have read....alot of his teachings have been purposely left out, like who he studied with and just what he was doing when he wasn't getting mentioned in the Bible.
One book I do know to mention is "The Book of Urantia" but I doubt you will accept that as a source.

windovervocalcords said:
AND again from INDIA:

Flavious Josephus, the prolific historian of the Jews during the period 100 BCE (Before Common Era) to around 100 CE, writes about the horrible Roman colonisation of Palestine but there is not even a credible mention of Jesus.
Josephus wrote about Jesus, and referred to him as the Messiah.

narlacat said:
Lots of questions, I'll disregard the first two seeing that is not what you asked me :p

I don't quite know exactly what you guys think of Jesus...have you checked out my siggy Tis :confused: lol
I think you think he was the Son of God and believe in the whole trinity thing...
I think you believe in the immaculate conception.
I think you believe in the resurrection.
I think you think he came to save humanity.
I could be wrong.

All I know is what I have read....alot of his teachings have been purposely left out, like who he studied with and just what he was doing when he wasn't getting mentioned in the Bible.
One book I do know to mention is "The Book of Urantia" but I doubt you will accept that as a source.
I looked up the "Book of Urantia" BTW. Interesting....

The Urantia Book does not advocate organized religion, neither does it oppose it.

Adherents of The Urantia Book have been alleged by some critics as being involved in a cult, however, in practice, characteristics normally associated with cults are not present.

There is no central charismatic figure, no hidden mysteries, no rituals or ceremonies, and there is not a teaching that the book's followers are chosen people whereas all others are lost.

The Urantia Book teaches friendliness, non-violence, and a life of unselfish ministry toward others.

windovervocalcords said:
Narla--

Before you get pummeled you best keep track of where you read something. "The Bible" has been edited in the sense that there are numerous versions.

Catholics have their own version. Regardless, I doubt one would find ANY version that said Jesus was MARRIED or UNMARRIED. There is just no mention.

There is a version mentioned in a link I provided earlier from a Hindustani article that there are writings suggesting Jesus had a brother, which the article suggested shot a hole in the Virgin birth theory. (Coptic Gnostic Gospel as source)
http://www.essene.com/Gospels/GnosticGospels.html interesting link for anyone interested.

I believe in miraculous birth. Christians are one tradition that has such teaching, it is not an exclusively Christian view.

An editorial in a Hindu newspaper is probably not the place I would go if I were looking for information on Christianity.

Aramaic had no word for cousin, brother was used.

Critical Views
The Urantia Book has received limited published or formal critical analysis. Likely the most common points of contention include:

It claims to be a revelation from celestial beings and is written as if directly presented by these celestial beings.
To those who assert that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, it denies some Christian doctrines that are held to be true and therefore is not acceptable.
From a scientific point of view, parts of the science it describes conflict with modern theories.
Some of the concepts are alleged to have been plagiarized.

Eoanthropus Dawsoni said:
An editorial in a Hindu newspaper is probably not the place I would go if I were looking for information on Christianity.

Aramaic had no word for cousin, brother was used.
I just like to read. India interests me.

I am not really "looking for information about Christianity". There are numerous ways Josephus is interpreted.

Maral said:
Critical Views
The Urantia Book has received limited published or formal critical analysis. Likely the most common points of contention include:

It claims to be a revelation from celestial beings and is written as if directly presented by these celestial beings.
To those who assert that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, it denies some Christian doctrines that are held to be true and therefore is not acceptable.
From a scientific point of view, parts of the science it describes conflict with modern theories.
Some of the concepts are alleged to have been plagiarized.
At the very least, it has some sweet aspirations. It may not be your cup of tea but seems acceptable for some "others".

It may not be my cup of tea either, but it has a soft feeling about it. Some other religions are difficult to "snuggle up to" IMO.

"The Urantia Book teaches friendliness, non-violence, and a life of unselfish ministry toward others."

Do you not recognize a mission of peace and brotherhood in this quote?

windovervocalcords said:
I just like to read. India interests me.

I am not really "looking for information about Christianity". There are numerous ways Josephus is interpreted.
You quoted an editorial which is comprised almost entirely of falsehoods, so I responded.

<<and therefore is not acceptable.>>

Yeah, you got that right :)
Nothing is acceptable to you guys lol.

The Da Vinci Code is not acceptable.
Having an abortion is not acceptable.
Being gay is not acceptable.
Taking the 'Lords' name in vain is not acceptable.
The list goes on and on and on.............:rolleyes:

I am a Catholic. I grew up in an anti-Catholic town and when I was a child I was beat up simply because I was Catholic. My ancestors were Polish Jews. Because my surname is "Jewish" I have also had to contend with the Anti-Semitic idiots. Therefore I have a low tolerance for bigotry. If someone quotes bigoted editorial as a source of information about my Faith, I will respond.

Bigotry is not acceptable.

Eoanthropus Dawsoni said:
I am a Catholic. I grew up in an anti-Catholic town and when I was a child I was beat up simply because I was Catholic. My ancestors were Polish Jews. Because my surname is "Jewish" I have also had to contend with the Anti-Semitic idiots. Therefore I have a low tolerance for bigotry. If someone quotes bigoted editorial as a source of information about my Faith, I will respond.

Bigotry is not acceptable.
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!

narlacat said:
<<and therefore is not acceptable.>>

Yeah, you got that right :)
Nothing is acceptable to you guys lol.

The Da Vinci Code is not acceptable.
Having an abortion is not acceptable.
Being gay is not acceptable.
Taking the 'Lords' name in vain is not acceptable.
The list goes on and on and on.............:rolleyes:
Obviously it is too much to ask of you to follow what we see as God's laws, but it works for us just fine. (Especially using His name in vain.) He deserves our best effort, not the easy way out.

narlacat said:
Sure.
The only time the Bible was edited to suit was by Martin Luther during the "Reformation."

windovervocalcords said:
At the very least, it has some sweet aspirations. It may not be your cup of tea but seems acceptable for some "others".

It may not be my cup of tea either, but it has a soft feeling about it. Some other religions are difficult to "snuggle up to" IMO.

"The Urantia Book teaches friendliness, non-violence, and a life of unselfish ministry toward others."

Do you not recognize a mission of peace and brotherhood in this quote?
You're right, Wind. I do recognize a mission of peace and brotherhood in that quote. What I do not accept is the validity of its claims to be a revelation from celestial beings and written as if directly presented by these celestial beings.
The Catholic Church rejects nothing of what is true and holy in different religions. She has a high regard for the manner of life and conduct, the precepts and teachings, which, while differing in many ways from her own teaching, nonetheless often reflect a ray of that truth which enlightens all men.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat
Back