Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The jury was all on the same page until mitigation.

Either someone bought her sob story or we'll be hearing misconduct rumors soon.

Or it could be as simple as a juror believing they could apply the DP but when the rubber hits the road, they couldn't. Nothing to do with Jodi plea, gag, or the defense team, they just could not do what they thought they could. moo

I have a prediction: It's going to be death. It will be a new jury. One who hasn't spent months "getting to know" jodi arias.

The judge was even chocked up....I agree with you...

JVM o:banghead::banghead:n DR Drew just said JA used her (not exact quote) femine wiles to persuade this jury... Now That is Offensive....

I will give my two cents, knowing that there are other lawyers on this thread who practice criminal law and will correct me if I am wrong. But, this is what I see:

1. Jodi is on lock down, no interviews, while this drags on. That appears to be the same as if she is on death row. This could go on for an extended period due to the next phase.

2. Juan and his office (with input from the family) can offer a plea of life in prison if she gives up her appeals. This would be huge if accepted. Waiving appeals would get us farther than life would have gotten us today.

3. It may take a while, but I believe there are many, many people who are not familiar with this case. Not in that immediate area, but as many others have pointed out, some people have never heard of it.

4. This is not a win for the defense. Even if there is a plea bargain, this is no win for the defense. They are at the mercy of the prosecutors. Even if Wilmot and Nurmi get to leave, JA will be forced, with other lawyers, to move forward if the prosecution decides. I personally believe it would be harder to find a lawyer to accept her case than it would be to find a jury who would hear it.

5. God has a purpose. I know this. The Alexander family will need our prayers and our help, but there is a purpose here. I am so grateful that, whatever the deadlock, it didn't happen until now. THAT IS HUGE. I would much rather have a mistrial now than on any verdict prior to this. She is convicted. That part is done. That is a huge blessing. The same individuals who couldn't agree here could have held out then. That did not happen. Sometimes instead of looking at what has been taken away, we must remember what we have been given. What was given to the Alexanders is huge. They saw this through to her conviction. At this point, other decisions may need to be made. But, she is convicted and MOST IMPORTANTLY Travis' name has been cleared. There is no doubt about that and that is worth more than anything, even JA's death for her crime.

This jury has been a blessing. There is a purpose in this part as well. This will be alright and it will turn out for the greatest good - whatever that may be. I have no doubt there are angels watching over the Alexanders, on earth and in heaven. They are special people. Let us not forget them in our prayers in the months to come. Circle the wagons! - A Mormon pioneer saying :)

You, mormon attorney, have a way with words.
tumblr_masqu1ZKa01rbesz9o1_500.gif

The darn "HOLIDAY" got us again. If it wasnt for this holiday, I think they may have tried another day or 2. They owed it to everyone to keep trying.

It seems another major trial KA had the same problem

:seeya: Yep ... history seems to repeat itself around "holidays" ...

:moo:

I didnt say worse than the Pinellas 12. I said I was more disappointed in this jury. That was my heat of the moment comment.

I'm inclined to believe that the juror(s) who could not vote DP were swayed by the crap about CMJA's family and NOT anything about the CM herself or any of the actual mitigating factors. Someone who focused on CMJA's family (apparently not giving equal weight to Travis'?) and the impact the DP would have on them.

I wonder what they thought when their non-verdict was read today and her family was absent from the courtroom. How does that even happen? The defense is going to argue that her family is her everything now and their lives will be devastated without her and they can't manage to make it because they're sightseeing on the day their family member is being sentenced (theoretically) to death?

Wow.

On the other hand, Travis' family sitting there like they have been every single day. Completely wrecked. Always there for their beloved.

All of this.....guys, this is what everyone needs to read.

I will give my two cents, knowing that there are other lawyers on this thread who practice criminal law and will correct me if I am wrong. But, this is what I see:

1. Jodi is on lock down, no interviews, while this drags on. That appears to be the same as if she is on death row. This could go on for an extended period due to the next phase.

2. Juan and his office (with input from the family) can offer a plea of life in prison if she gives up her appeals. This would be huge if accepted. Waiving appeals would get us farther than life would have gotten us today.

3. It may take a while, but I believe there are many, many people who are not familiar with this case. Not in that immediate area, but as many others have pointed out, some people have never heard of it.

4. This is not a win for the defense. Even if there is a plea bargain, this is no win for the defense. They are at the mercy of the prosecutors. Even if Wilmot and Nurmi get to leave, JA will be forced, with other lawyers, to move forward if the prosecution decides. I personally believe it would be harder to find a lawyer to accept her case than it would be to find a jury who would hear it.

5. God has a purpose. I know this. The Alexander family will need our prayers and our help, but there is a purpose here. I am so grateful that, whatever the deadlock, it didn't happen until now. THAT IS HUGE. I would much rather have a mistrial now than on any verdict prior to this. She is convicted. That part is done. That is a huge blessing. The same individuals who couldn't agree here could have held out then. That did not happen. Sometimes instead of looking at what has been taken away, we must remember what we have been given. What was given to the Alexanders is huge. They saw this through to her conviction. At this point, other decisions may need to be made. But, she is convicted and MOST IMPORTANTLY Travis' name has been cleared. There is no doubt about that and that is worth more than anything, even JA's death for her crime.

This jury has been a blessing. There is a purpose in this part as well. This will be alright and it will turn out for the greatest good - whatever that may be. I have no doubt there are angels watching over the Alexanders, on earth and in heaven. They are special people. Let us not forget them in our prayers in the months to come. Circle the wagons! - A Mormon pioneer saying :)

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using Tapatalk HD

I am going to ask again that folks try to not be so angry with the jury, or believe without any real evidence that someone lied on the voir dire.

THIS jury did 4 months of horrific service.
THIS jury found JA guilty of first degree murder.
THIS jury found aggravating circumstances.

Unless you've been in a jury room...unless you've been the one to hang a jury (and I have), you don't know what it takes to stand there and follow your conviction against 11 other people. To stand there, knowing that you would be the 'bad guy' forever and ever...and still go with what you honestly feel, what you honestly believe. I *have* been there...and while it was not a death penalty, it was still excruciatingly hard to do. And I don't regret doing it.

Please understand that until you've been there, in a jury room, and find yourself going against the grain...until you've had to stand there and listen for 4 days about what a horrible person you are for not going along with things; until you've been there, knowing each day that you have to drag yourself in and dammit all try to find the courage to stand there with your conviction...

Until you've been there, you don't know. It's not lying. It's not misconduct. It's the dammed jury system in all it's failings and glory.

I've done a lot of difficult things in my life. Serving on and then hanging a jury ranks up there as second only to enduring my father's death.

Please step back just a bit. I get the anger. I get the upset; but JA is still convicted. She is still in jail and will be for at least a very, very long time. And there is at least one juror out there tonight who is devastated that they couldn't go against their conviction and find that JA deserved the death penalty.

To that juror(s), I say thank you. Thank you for having the moral courage to stand up and be true to yourself. I've been there, I know what it takes, and I know what you face now and for the rest of your life. Thank you for having the courage of your conviction. And while I may disagree with you on this case, I am proud that you were able to stand there and follow through with what you believed to be right.

This takes NOTHING away from the pain the Alexanders feel, and will feel. This post has nothing to do with them...I feel so horrible for them...and like I said, I disagree with how it came down. But I know what it takes...and I respect the person who stood there, knowing they would get death threats and disappoint everyone and who feels that pressure now and forever.

I'm out of this thread for now...I'm frustrated with folks who are so mad at the juror(s) and are calling them liars. I've been there.

Best-
Herding Cats

She's to stay locked up 23/24 until the new trial and I assume during it according to the sheriff's twitter account.

Thanks for that info. Makes me feel better, but all of the sudden I really feel like crying for a very long time.

I also think that anything she said in her interviews last night should be admissible in a new trial. As I understand it she may have contradicted herself on many things she had said in the trial.

CNN certainly seems to think so:

"There are now tools in the prosecution's favour that they could use in a new trial, which could compel the defence to agree to something like this. All of those news media interviews that Jodi Arias granted ... now they say, can be used, in the prosecution's new penalty phase."

The jury was all on the same page until mitigation.

Either someone bought her sob story or we'll be hearing misconduct rumors soon.

With utter respect: Or, twelve people came to the same conclusion on two very important verdicts - murder 1 and extreme cruelty - but had a difference of opinion on the death penalty. I think it may be as simple as that, although I'm one to wonder about shenanigans, usually. :truce:

I don't blame or envy the jurors. It wasn't her "locks of love" mission or art work that spared her. It was all of the garbage that the DT threw at the wall during this trial.

She is a psychopath/sociopath and she succeeded in doing what she set out to do...twist, contort and manipulate to evade punishment. I fear that when the jurors (or single juror holdout as I believe) gets home and sees who they freed they will be devastated.

She thinks that she has won (which is the most sickening thing) but this is justice delayed, not denied. She's going to get what's coming to her.

Well, they haven't freed anyone........:twocents:

is this true her family was sightseeing at the grand canyon while their daughter,sister,niece whatever was awaiting a verdict of life or death ......

Here's a concise explanation of what happens next:

"Under Arizona law, a hung jury in a trial’s death penalty phase requires a new jury to be seated to decide the punishment. If the second jury cannot reach a unanimous decision, the judge would then sentence Arias to spend her entire life in prison or be eligible for release after 25 years. The judge cannot sentence Arias to death.

Former Maricopa County Attorney Rick Romley has said the case could drag on for several months as the new jury reviews evidence and hears opening statements, closing arguments and witness testimony in a “Cliffs Notes” version of the trial.

However, if the prosecutor decides not to pursue the death penalty a second time, the judge would sentence Arias to one of the life term options, and the trial would conclude.

As the proceedings continue, Arias will remain in the Maricopa County jail system, where she has spent the past five years. Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Thursday she will be confined to her cell 23 hours a day and not be allowed to give interviews.'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...f09540-c407-11e2-9642-a56177f1cdf7_story.html

MONTHS!?
How will the alexanders cope?

(Atleast JA will be in lock up)

Can't we see no more of Abe on Dr Drew .. enough is enough ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980