Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sad right now for Travis' family and friends that this gets dragged out even more.
I think the jury in the end did the right thing. Seems like Travis' family wants death so its good that they came back hung. Maybe they can get the sentence they want in the end.
Has this ever happened before? How easy would it be to use this with any appeals after the sentencing is done?
Will they have to go through the whole trial again? Or is there only certain things they can go over now?

Yes, it has happened before, at least 5 times since 2002 according to the article below. Four times the state asked for a new jury and three of those new juries came back with a death penalty verdict.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizona/articles/20130522arizona-juries-that-couldnt-decide-on-death-penalty-prog.html

I think if he gets life, it will be without parole. I may be in the minority here but I just don't see Jodi thriving in prison. I dont see her recycling project ever happening. She will continue to donate her hair but it will be against her will. I think most will hate her. I get pleasure out of picturing her miserable because she isn't the center of attention. Gangs are already established and I don't see her being welcome. Of course she thinks they will love her but when reality sinks in, it won't be pretty. Her sense of entitlement will go over like a turd in the punchbowl.

At the current expense to the AZ taxpayers of $1.6 Million (and climbing) for this trial, isn't it time we consider professional jurors. Or at least have some professional jurors per each jury.

I propose that the professional jurors must be well versed on a variety of judicial proceedings, have a high educational background, be certified, understand the concept of "standardization" per comparison for verdict/penalty, be licensed and thoroughly screened for competency, yadda, yadda, yadda. Professional Jurors would be a full time job with benefits.

And I think we should abolish the DP because it is too costly and clogs the judicial system.

We really need to have our judicial system work in a more efficient manner.

:banghead:

As I understand it she's still convicted of murder 1. The deadlocked jury just means that if they still want to try for the death penalty they have to have a whole new trial. It doesn't mean that she'll never get the death penalty. I believe these are the choices the state faces right now:

1. Re-try her with a new jury that is only going to decide death penalty or Life. If the jury decides LWOP the judge can pick with or without parole.

2. Remove the death penalty from the table and let the judge decide to sentence her to LWOP with the possibility of parole or without the possibility of parole.

If there is anything else they can do let me know. The talking heads are saying she'll probably ask for new council and get it. I'm guessing that will delay the new trial for about a year.

How far off am I?

I'm just reposting this because I haven't gotten an answer yet. Can someone please verify or correct me on this? TIA

Sending my prayers and words of encouragement as well, to the Alexanders.

IMHO the CKJA is upset because she knows the next jury WILL see those media interviews. Karma, baby, karma!

CKJA showed no remorse in her allocution statement nor in those media interviews. Also, the jury will see her wearing her prison stripes, thanks to those media interviews.

The next jury will have that mental image in their minds, as well as her condescending words ringing in their ears.

I believe the next jury will be sequestered.

FYI, here is a link about a foster mom who got sent to jail for using a wooden spoon as discipline:

:jail:

A Connecticut foster mom pleaded guilty Monday to paddling a 4-year-old with a wooden spoon in January. The mother faces 100 days in prison.

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Cultur...cience+Monitor+|+Living)&utm_content=My+Yahoo

in terms of jury selection. The point of jurors with no knowledge of case is to preserve the defendants "innocence" until conviction. We're dealing with a convicted first degree murderer with aggravating circumstances so what really are the jury qualifications? It's happened a few times so I'll have to try & read about it.

You don't have to find jurors (in any trial) that haven't heard about the case, just need jurors that can set any opinions they may have formed aside.

I have a prediction: It's going to be death. It will be a new jury. One who hasn't spent months "getting to know" jodi arias.

Ugh, does this mean we must re-watch a month (or more) of retrial?

67uovl.jpg

This man knew what true love meant. Selflessness, kindness and humility. However Travis (per family/friends)also believed in Justice and would want Jodi to get the DP if she had done this to someone else. This information came from someone very close to Travis so I will say it but with caution. Moo

Jodi was the opposite of Travis. She doesn't see things like us, or like Travis. She sees this as a win, she will find her way into a comfy, cushy spot through the next 50+ years with the satisfied feeling that no Jury convicted her to death. That is a lot of years for something to happen. To the population of prisoners or parole through law changes, appeals etc.. That's where her brain is. She will continue to be able to do interviews. She is allowed around people. That is enough for her. Moo

For the health, well being and future of the Alexander family Jodi Arias needs to be placed on Death Row. Will she ever be put to death? Who knows but at least she was PUT there by the public. She did not win. And she will not have nearly the opportunities within the system as she would if she got life.

Steven and his family need to no longer have to look at Jodi, think of her murdering the rest of his family and he needs to be able to sleep. Samantha needs to get back to her job and continue to crawl up the latter of success. Most of all they all have to get back home, to their families with no concern that there will be appeals or parole for the next 50+ years. They can bury those horrible photos for good and stop having her effect them. It needs to END. The Death Penalty is the only answer in the name of Justice. Moo

Yes, she got Murder 1 Conviction but that is only a piece of it. A GOOD piece but it's not the whole picture. That is why they can't simply feel grateful she got that and go on with their life. Moo

Honestly, I could absolutely care less what the mother thinks or feels, and am sick to the point of vomiting having to hear more excuses or lies from any Arias about why they didn't do the right or decent thing. STFU, all of them.

I love this whole post but I love that last part the most.

I just want to apologise for my earlier guffaw of asking 'what is the significance of that date' in reference to june 4th.

I extremely stupid and embarrassed

Sent from my 'alternate reality' using my hippocampus

Are you kidding me? Don't be sorry! This trial has drained me so much that I forget my own name at times! :seeya:

I wonder how honest the new jury will be when asked if they have heard of this case....

Do Willmott and Nurmi still get to represent her? or will they have new lawyers do that?

Will this next phase move along quite quickly or will it be years before the trial resumes? Thank you for any answer.

July 18

Sent from my 'alternate reality' using my hippocampus

I think she'll get death when all is said and done. In some jurisdictions if there's no a unanimous verdict for death, the penalty defaults to life w/o parole. At least that's not the case in Arizona.

I admit I am not too invested in the penalty -- I think justice is served with the conviction and with whichever sentence is ultimately imposed.

So does this (censoring myself) stay where she is or is shipped off to Perryville until whatever comes next?

And Sheriff Joe --Please, for the love of God, do NOT let her give any more interviews. She may be entitled to 1st amendment rights, but I notice you're pretty singular in translating that into national interviews of a convicted 1st degree murderer.

I'm asserting my right and that of many to not be subjected to any further cruel or unusual punishment, which having to seeing her face again surely is.

There is no way she'll ever be free on appeal, I'm certain of that! The evidence against her was SO strong! There were no criticisms of the investigation or police work, nothing compromising any of that. She had more than a fair trial, and now will have two juries having a say in her verdicts. She'll never win an appeal, and will never be paroled if given LWP.

No matter what her ultimate punishment is... her life is over and her life will SUCK in prison.

I really want to believe that's right! However I don't have a lot of trust left for the justice system. Jodi can say that she didn't get an adequate jury or that the new jury didn't know the whole story. She will attempt anything to prove the grounds for a successful appeal. If that's a possibility, I worry about the risks of going for the DP under a new jury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosty_gal