Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And in this case, the snap must have been caused some what by the victim. Because who does that. Right? This is where I burn.

The DA never introduced the tire slashing because there wasnt a police report, correct?

Sort of reminds me of the OJ jury not hearing Nicole's 911 call when he was bashing in the windshield of her car. IIRC.

The police report about the tire slashing was posted here. BUT Jodi was not named in that report.

Do we know if it was the 4 woman for life and 8 men for death?? I don't have the time to read and catch every news source and have fallen behind!

I don't understand all the hate for HLN. Sure they make money and speculate just as many do here and other places. That's the world we live in now. Nancy didn't miss a beat on her show last night and her sharp wit is what makes me continue to love her despite her few faults! I don't even mind JVM as I think she makes interesting points.

I guess this penalty phase verdict is proof of the weaknesses in our justice system. I commend the jurors who held strong for death! God bless them! I would be afraid her sentence would be reduced at some point with life and she would get parole, but being realistic, statistically speaking, I could probably accept LWOP, although people have gotten out with that sentence. I do think Jodi's attractiveness works in her favor.

Just throwing this out there and I am in no way a lawyer, jmo. The problem with the abuse issue is that the state was held to a higher set of standards on what could be presented to the jury (rules of evidence?) than what the DT could present. We would have had a completely different outcome if the following had been allowed;

~Clancy Talbot testify to bathroom issue
~Slashed tires and Lisa to testify to what happened in CONTEXT
~Sky Hughes to testify given her concerns and direct conversations with Travis--especially 1) the fake inmateA stalker email, 2) the ENTIRE email that the DT used only part of, 3) inmateA threatening suicide if Travis left her and 4) the refusal of inmateA to leave her house after being told to do so as well as finally kicking inmateA out permanently
~Ex roomate of inmateA testifying that JA had a revolving door of men during the 6 months that they roomed together and then asking inmateA to move out

IIRC it was said that these things were TOO PREJUDICIAL yet inmateA was allowed UNSUPPORTED allegations of physical abuse and pedophilia. So it is my opinion that if a defense is allowed to make claims without evidence, then the state should be allowed to present facts that WITH actual evidence .

With all due respect (and I love our system), this part of our justice system IS BROKEN but not because it isn't good. But because it has not evolved to address the "woe is me" defendant, nor the gender-bias issues that come to bear. Clearly, there are the "woe is me" issue with males but it is the female defendant that we are not equipped to safeguard our legal system from. We live in a world where defendants like inmate Arias exist, this NEW type of female criminal is on the rise over the last decade, they are cunning and exploitive. They will stop at nothing to exploit the rights they are afforded in our justice system with excuses, lies and pretty faces. We have to reform the justice system accordingly.

I want the info on Jodi's hard drive unsealed :twocents:

Some info regarding the gentleman who did the video.

Carl ToersBijns Since his retirement from corrections in April 2010, Carl has been performing the role of an activist in the area of public awareness of mental illness and the incarceration of war veterans and the severely mentally ill persons. He is also currently a senior advisor to the LEOAC (Law Enforcement Officers Advocacy Council) that works closely to issues related to personnel and legal issues. Carl is also a current board member of David's Hope Inc. a non-profit organization for the mentally ill and a member of the Arizona Criminal Justice Mental Health Coalition. Carl, a retired deputy warden, started with the New Mexico Department of Corrections in the year 1985.

His experience working inside the New Mexico prisons spanned from 1985 through 2005 when he re-located to Arizona to go work inside the Arizona prisons from June 2005 through April, 2010. Carl has an Associate Degree of Arts - Criminal Justice Administration w/ honors from the American InterContinental University and graduated in 2006. A native of Columbus Ohio, he recently moved to Riverside California where he spends his time writing short stories and various articles for Yahoo Voice, Corrections.Com and other publications.

Carl's war experience consists of spending two years in the U.S. Army as a combat medic serving a 1 year tour in Vietnam during the period of 1967 to 1968. He earned the Combat Medic Badge while engaged with the Americal Infantry Division. Mr. ToersBijns has previously authored two books titled Wasted Honor and Wasted Honor2 - Underground Power that describes his experiences as a correctional employee in both New Mexico and Arizona prison systems.

They decide the way one is chosen. In my experience they volunteer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd call it self-promotion ;) Some people make it obvious from Day 1 that they want to be the foreperson and campaign for the position. Based on his comments suggesting that it was "(his) jury", I think it's safe to say that the jury foreman in the JA case promoted himself throughout the trial and that it was a given that it would be "his jury". :moo:

Oh, I'm sure they'll manage. It won't be easy, but somehow it will happen. That wave is building speed as we speak. I'm figurin' on a 60' monster. Gonna grind Einstein right into the coral.

Really, I know a lot of people who don't listen to or watch news or read the paper. And I haven't talked to anyone where I am that knows diddlysquat about this trial. True, I'm not there locally. But it can be done, imo.

I don't know why this juror was chosen as the foreperson -- it would be nice to know more about the process of choosing one. Does one volunteer? Do they take a vote?

I have been seated on 3 trials. By the way I don't expect to ever be seated again because of my experience! But anyway, for each of the three that I was on ... the four person was a volunteer. That was the way it was for each one.

If I was ever on another jury trial I would say let's vote on who we think it should be. Vs volunteer. And then combine the two.

ETA the last that I was on ended after I submitted a question which was very succinct .. I was taking a class in law school at the time and called out something as to why is this so ... this is not the law..can I tell the other jurors about it.. "

10 minutes later we were notified the parties had settled.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

All I can say is thank you to the jury for finding her guilty of Murder 1. I'm disappointed with this verdict too and cannot imagine 4 jurors considered life with the possibility that the judge could have given her LWP. It's mind-boggling.

But they found her guilty and found it to be especially cruel, so I really hope they do not get harrassed or threatened - they did a great job, by all accounts they took it seriously and they were not fooled by Jodi. I'm not angry at any of them, just really confused and sad for Travis' family.

I have been seated on 3 trials. By the way I don't expect to ever be seated again because of my experience! But anyway, for each of the three that I was on ... the four person was a volunteer. That was the way it was for each one.

If I was ever on another jury trial I would say let's vote on who we think it should be. Vs volunteer. And then combine the two.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

In my experience, the first person who volunteers for a position like that is not likely the best candidate. Ego is often the primary motivation. :cow:

I really think a law should be passed that when it comes to a jury deciding on sentencing, all evidence involving the defendant comes in. There is no such thing as too prejudicial.

And when the professional jury makes decisions that you don't agree with, then what? Because they will.

I believe a professional jury will not be a hung jury, because they will know the law, and more importantly they will understand the law. They would be like judges, they will not let their personal feelings decide how they vote.

Really, I know a lot of people who don't listen to or watch news or read the paper. And I haven't talked to anyone where I am that knows diddlysquat about this trial. True, I'm not there locally. But it can be done, imo.

I don't like the idea of people sitting on a jury who have no interest in what's going on in the world around them. That's just my opinion.

...not to cry over spilled milk... I'm upset 8 wasn't there...and to want know why 5 was dismissed...

But let's face it I will cry over the milk and the Cheerios...

Jodi was the worse thing that ever happened to Travis. At the end of the day, this is what I walk away with.

Last night, when I heard Mike Galanos tell the story of two female jurors who walked past Travis' family, crying and one of them looking up and mouthing 'I'm so sorry,' I felt as if she had voted for the dp. The other woman just looked down, so that was a life vote. I know it's silly, but I want to know how the split was divided. JMO, of course.

Yeah, what you say makes sense. I just feel like enough is enough for this family, how much more can they take! Of course if they want to go ahead with a trial I'll be here for them. I wonder if it's up to them, do they get any say in what happens? I know Juan Martinez always considers them, but will his boss?

i know the county attorney said they'd go forward with this, but let's see what that's going to involve because the DT has to be re-energized and ready to stomp on the brakes----doing everything they can to make this as difficult and expensive for the state as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaggieX