Verdict Watch Discussion Thread

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is looking for the killer of Caylee Anthony or Nicole Brown Simpson either. Being acquitted does not mean "not-guilty". In Canada, unlike the US, we do not have double jeopardy and I believe the Crown can appeal an acquittal.

MOO

Yes the Crown can appeal a verdict here. It's actually one of the things I question about our system. The state has a lot of power and, when they want to, effectively unlimited resources. Perhaps we should be expecting the system to get it right the first time rather than retrying verdicts they don't like. IIRC an appeal is how Guy Morin got wrongfully convicted.

Well, I want MB to be charged criminally for her part in all of this. o/t I wonder what RB thinks about his sister for what she has done?

She certainly seems to have engaged in many instances of Obstructing Justice in this case and should have been charged accordingly. IMO we're going to be seeing more of the same when the WM trial comes around. She will likely be a witness in that one too. Wonder if she'll ever make it to the stand for that one?

http://yourlaws.ca/criminal-code-canada/139-obstructing-justice

MOO

Curious if the Jury has asked Judge Goodman any questions as they are deliberating today ? I know they did last night before 8;30 when they stopped! I know they have been discussing the case and trying to reach a verdict since early this am( I think 10;00am - 8;30 tonight...I am anxious like all of you to hear the verdict. Any guesses as to how long you think they will take? I remember vaguely the verdict was reached in Tori Strafford ( horrendous trial) I think ...it was in the evening of the 2nd day....what are ppl opinions here?...How much longer? ...Just want Justice for Tim Bosma and his family....concerned....Robynhood....I am sure when they reach a verdict it will be plastered all over the news in Ontario...Praying....Riobynhood

Well DM has some sort of inexplicable "charisma" so anything's possible and it seems that both men and women could fall under his spell. I hope that woman was just intently studying DM to gain insight about an alleged cold-blooded killer.

All MOO.

Some women go for bad boys....others its a tool belt and safety boots.....and still others pant over a suit or uniform. No accouning for what turns a woman on ;)

No one is looking for the killer of Caylee Anthony or Nicole Brown Simpson either. Being acquitted does not mean "not-guilty". In Canada, unlike the US, we do not have double jeopardy and I believe the Crown can appeal an acquittal.

MOO

The U.S. 5th Amendment protects against double jeopardy. O.J. did not face double jeopardy, he faced a civil suit for wrongful death where the burden of proof is a balance of probabilities rather than proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

The exact same thing can happen here in Canada.

I feel like the jury must have been so annoyed by the disruption. They were taken into court to tell them there is no evidence of Tim getting gas. Is that not exactly what they were told last night?!

Not really. Last night the judge was just referring to his notes when he gave that answer. And then the judge and the lawyers reviewed the audio tapes of the testimony and discovered for certain that there had been no testimony regarding Tim going for gas. The jury had to be updated in that regard.

MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you watch the LH video, it's suggested there.

http://www.chch.com/deliberation-begins-tim-bosma-trial/

Wow, wow, wow! The behind the scenes comments from court staff were very revealing regarding DMs antics. Regarding the 'insect like' demeanour, the child like temper tantrum over not being allowed to bring his serial killer book/religious materials to his trial and his outburst over MS taking the stand, it doesn't sound like he has progressed beyond the attention seeking oddball child that his classmates referred to after he was arrested. Little did they know that he would become an 'alleged' serial killer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish Lisa would have elaborated about what she meant about using (twisting) things said in legal arguments during his testimony...

.....if it was stating that DM had "other" uses for the truck besides going to Mexico for the Baja race (like the drug smuggling stuff - trailer modifications/etc) then to me that isn't a huge deal....more of a frustration that a lot of bad character evidence wasn't allowed (and IMO wanting the truck to pull the modified trailer to smuggle drugs speaks to motive....so not sure why it wasn't allowed)....

....if it was something more....and I wouldn't even know where to start guessing.....then that could be much more meaningful (at least to me)....

As always...MOO

Well said. I saw lots of MSs testimony. IMO, I would see him be asked questions (in cross) that he couldn't really answer because he wasn't allowed to. Eg. I saw him start answering and look at the judge before continuing to make sure he could proceed. During a recess IIRC he was asking if he could comment on IIRC something to do with gun(s). I felt like at times "his hands were tied" ps Please excuse the wording

To me, I didn't look at it at all the way LH described. However, she may be referring to a time that I missed. However, I have a feeling it is moreso a difference of perception. Speculation : what LH may have looked at as cunning, I looked at as being detail oriented and/or precise (in certain statements) especially when Sawchuk was cross examining him and IMO asking somewhat inappropriate and nonsensical questions repeatedly, MS seemed detail oriented and careful- kept answers brief as I'm sure he was coached to

The CBC moderator Conrad Collaco for today's FB chat asked the panel why so many people who didn't even know TB or his family connected to this trial.

CC: "What do you think it is about this story that so deeply connects with people?"

bbm I love AC's response! "Because Tim is everybody. Everyone out there has tried to sell something online. Everyone has done something as innocuous as he was doing. Everyone can put themselves in his shoes. And I think that's what makes it so terrifying for so many people is 'cause they can all place themselves right there with him and that makes it just so terrifying."

All MOO.

Wow, wow, wow! The behind the scenes comments from court staff were very revealing regarding DMs antics. Regarding the 'insect like' demeanour, the child like temper tantrum over not being allowed to bring his serial killer book/religious materials to his trial and his outburst over MS taking the stand, it doesn't sound like he has progressed beyond the attention seeking oddball child that his classmates referred to after he was arrested. Little did they know that he would become an 'alleged' serial killer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it also crossed my mind that maybe the only truth MS spoke while giving evidence was when he called DM out as being a lunatic and being scared and confused. I don't believe the scared and confused for a second but maybe there was some truth in the fact that he was acting like a lunatic.

This guy is beyond creepy. Wow.

This is my first post although I've been following this trial since the beginning.

I think the jury will be out for at least 2-3 weeks, perhaps a month or more based on my own experience serving on a jury.

This case I served on (not famous, years ago)...[snipped for space]

Hope this answers some questions people have had about juries.

All in MOO, if anyone else has served on a jury more recently, they may be aware of changes I'm not.

Welcome! There are usually a number of good people that roll out the welcome wagon (including flashy gifs - sorry, I don't know how to do this) when there is a first-time poster. Especially for such a good post. Thanks for sharing your experience serving as a juror. There has been so much action on WS today, so sorry if I missed this.

MOO

Canada does actually prevent Double Jeopardy - it's just defined differently than in the US.

I actually like the Canadian version better - which is that certain type of errors can be corrected on appeal. I feel like in general (not always) it leads to better results.

Welcome! There are usually a number of good people that roll out the welcome wagon (including flashy gifs - sorry, I don't know how to do this) when there is a first-time poster. Especially for such a good post. Thanks for sharing your experience serving as a juror. There has been so much action on WS today, so sorry if I missed this.

:welcome: Purr ... complete with colourful flashy gif! :)

Ugh, I keep trying to watch this but my work computer is sucking hardcore! And my phone won't load it either :tantrum:

Get yourself to the library, then! It's worth a watch, even though most of it has been recapped by WS posters. It has a video playing the background of Tim playing around/dancing with his baby that is worth seeing.

Ewww lets hope she is not "enamored" with DM.

eh I doubt it. It's more likely she's pondering the evidence against him. Or better yet thinking "you're done mother *advertiser censored*cker" ;)

Nothing about the reports of him at this trial strike me as endearing. Only creepy/inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member