VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 43, Part 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm beat for today. It's a little encouraging that the jury stayed late today. I've spent the last hour watching interviews the trial foreman gave immediately following the hung jury on sentencing. He actually believed all the mitigating factors!! Imagine that? He also met with Defense team prior to this sentencing phase to advise them not to put Jodi on the stand because she hurt herself during the trial by being on the stand those 18 days.

I'm wondering if he or any of the earlier jurors on this case have been seen in the courtroom. I know Juan brought one of the jurors to meet the Alexanders but were any others there?

Darren Mack received the death penalty and the killing was not as brutal and sadistic as what this murdering monster did to Travis.

This case is one of the worst I have ever seen as far as the level of cruelty other than when Black Widows strike and keep their victim in constant agonizing pain for weeks on end until they finally die.

And her cruelty didn't stop when she murdered Travis. It has been never ending. She spent the next 4+ years driving the 'knife' into the hearts of the Alexander family.

I think SP more than likely suffocated Laci when she was asleep in her bed. JMO

IMO

One of the things that has kept me awake at night was the discussion on here that CMJA may (allegedly) have used a stun-gun on TA before stabbing him. IMHO this fits in perfectly with her character because she is a coward and her OWN safety would always come first. I agree with the posters here who thought it possible that she subdued him first with the stun-gun before stabbing him. To me, that is so horrific I cannot even imagine what type of evil mind could do something so cruel. I also believe that there are a large number of things that have been kept from the public during the trial and that after this debacle they will be given the light of day.

Atleast now if they ever reach a verdict, the higher the chance that it will be DEATH.

Why would the DP-supporters ever agree to a Life-verdict, when standing behind their convictions would ultimatelly yield the same result: life?

Or life with possibility of parole, appeal, enactment of legislation, commutation, pardon, escape, etc.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 21s22 seconds ago
They took the jurors out a different exit for the first time since deliberations started . #jodiarias
---

They probably had their fill of being stared at like bugs by the media.

honestly it is about time they did..that march out in front of the family to me did not seem right.

I haven't posted here since the last JA trial in 2013. I've been following this one with increasing horror. No matter what the jury come back with let's just remember that JA will likely never be set free amongst civilians again.
She may be smirking now, but inside she is filled with rage. All the things she used to enjoy have been taken away from her:

CMJA is vain and her looks are very important to her - she loved dressing up seductively, wearing makeup and perfume, and she had two cosmetic surgeries that we know of: a breast enlargement and rhinoplasty. In prison she will grow old quickly due to poor diet, no expensive cosmetics or skin creams and she'll always have pasty prison pallor. Her fake breasts will need replacing in 10 years time and I am sure the prison system will not allow her to have that procedure.

CMJA loved to travel. She will never be able to go to Italy and enjoy the Amalfi Coast or the Sistine Chapel. She will never take a honeymoon with a man she loves to Bora Bora, or wait at an airport to board a flight to some awesome destination.

CMJA will never get dressed up in a pretty dress to go on a date, or get to wake up in the arms of someone who loves her (and Big Bertha does NOT count!!). Heck, she won't even be able to get up at midnight and go to the fridge for a peanut butter sandwich if she feels like it.

CMJA is a mediocre artist and she can read all the books she likes so she can try to impress people with her grammar and phony-intellectualism, but its a complete waste because the Big Bertha's in the slammer aren't going to give a darn about her spelling and pretentious book-smarts. If she tries that carp with them the only sandwich she'll be getting is a knuckle sandwich.

She knows all this. She is probably humiliated that all her dirty deeds came to light and that everyone saw through her pretense. She's not nearly as clever as she thinks she is, and any victories she may have during this time are inconsequential. Her life is essentially over and whether she gets LWOP or Death, she's going to rot in a smelly building, living a life of Groundhog Day.

What a wonderful post and just what I needed to hear today. I was feeling really down after my visit to the hospital but you have put everything about this evil woman into perspective.

She will not get her implants replaced, perhaps removed if they are causing a medical problem but not replaced. At least it doesn't happen in Missouri Prisons. But she complained in an motion against Sheriff Joe about not getting proper medical treatment because one of the implants was leaking. This is a common occurance and does need to be addressed. I just imagine the medical personel at the jail explained to her if they did anythng they would remove the implant but not replace it. She declined and then reported the Sheriff for not attending to her leaking breast and fungus on her mouth. She is in for a real awaking when she gets to Perryville, it's not like the medical care out here. Too bad so sad.

But everything else you said was correct. No husband, no wonderful trips, no great restaurants and wonderful food, just bland prison food. I don't care what the commissary carries, it won't be Olive Garden or Red Lobster, or the Savoy Grill, and it makes me so happy to think about that. Ever been to a hospital at night after the cafeteria closes and all you have are those vending machines? That is JA life and it won't even be that good. Think of all the chocolate deserts she won't ever get to have.

Christmas time will be dismal in there. Not like Sheriff Joes jail house idol. No matter what she is going to be in that little ugly cell for the rest of her pitiful life just getting older and grayer every day. I love it. You are right her looks are important to her, and they are fast going away just as marrisa devault and the others are. No dye in prison, she will just get more and more grey hair and lip hair. LOL

It is going to get HOT in there this summer and I will be thinking of her cooking in her cell and her cage. It should remind her of HELL where she is going after this little trip.

However they still have to all decide it fits the crime. IT is not just since she is eligible it is obvious kind of thing. Otherwise there would be no need for jurors to deliberate it. It is a decision made by the jurors and they have to believe that it is what she deserves for her crime.
I think there are a lot of people like me who think they could give the DP and believe in it but when it comes time, may not vote for it because it does not fit for them.

For me it is the very heinous manner in which she murdered TA. She didn't just shoot him and he died, didn't just stab him and he died. She followed him around the bathroom and down that hallway stabbing and stabbing and stabbing. Shot him then resorted to stabbing him over and over again. Watched him struggle to stand and struggle to get away and stabbed him over and over again not stopping when he fell to the floor and tried to crawl away. Just relentless stabbing. Torture. Then the 'Coup de grais" pulling his head back and slicing his neck down to the spinal cord. This was a very calculated, most painful way she could imagine, heinous crime. She intended to inflict the most pain she could possibly inflict. She really, really wanted him to suffer. That is why she deserves the death penalty.

I haven't posted here since the last JA trial in 2013. I've been following this one with increasing horror. No matter what the jury come back with let's just remember that JA will likely never be set free amongst civilians again.
She may be smirking now, but inside she is filled with rage. All the things she used to enjoy have been taken away from her:

CMJA is vain and her looks are very important to her - she loved dressing up seductively, wearing makeup and perfume, and she had two cosmetic surgeries that we know of: a breast enlargement and rhinoplasty. In prison she will grow old quickly due to poor diet, no expensive cosmetics or skin creams and she'll always have pasty prison pallor. Her fake breasts will need replacing in 10 years time and I am sure the prison system will not allow her to have that procedure.

CMJA loved to travel. She will never be able to go to Italy and enjoy the Amalfi Coast or the Sistine Chapel. She will never take a honeymoon with a man she loves to Bora Bora, or wait at an airport to board a flight to some awesome destination.

CMJA will never get dressed up in a pretty dress to go on a date, or get to wake up in the arms of someone who loves her (and Big Bertha does NOT count!!). Heck, she won't even be able to get up at midnight and go to the fridge for a peanut butter sandwich if she feels like it, or even go to the toilet privately without eyes on her (eww)

CMJA is a mediocre artist and she can read all the books she likes so she can try to impress people with her grammar and phony-intellectualism, but its a complete waste because the Big Bertha's in the slammer aren't going to give a darn about her spelling and pretentious book-smarts. If she tries that carp with them the only sandwich she'll be getting is a knuckle sandwich.

She knows all this. She is probably humiliated that all her dirty deeds came to light and that everyone saw through her pretense. She's not nearly as clever as she thinks she is, and any victories she may have during this time are inconsequential. Her life is essentially over and whether she gets LWOP or Death, she's going to rot in a smelly building, living a life of Groundhog Day.

BBM. Hey, I did that!

Darren Mack received the death penalty and the killing was not as brutal and sadistic as what this murdering monster did to Travis.

This case is one of the worst I have ever seen as far as the level of cruelty other than when Black Widows strike and keep their victim in constant agonizing pain for weeks on end until they finally die.

And her cruelty didn't stop when she murdered Travis. It has been never ending. She spent the next 4+ years driving the 'knife' into the hearts of the Alexander family.

I think SP more than likely suffocated Laci when she was asleep in her bed. JMO

IMO
BBM. I think he strangled her with the lamp cord, then sat on her.

I am out peeps. Time to whip up some chocolate cake. I have a feeling tomorrow will be the day..

Wait, I think I said that before. :)

I can not fault people for having a horrible time deciding on the DP for someone. Hopefully tomorrow they can come together.

Chocolate cake? Now youre talking! Night

They sat in the lobby where the Alexander family usually sits at the end of the day before the jury comes out. When Alexander went up to have a seat, the Arias Clan was already there.

Wild About Trial 2 ‏@WildaboutTrial2 1h1 hour ago
5 Arias supports scatter throughout front row of lobby where Alexander family has been camped. #jodiarias

I don't understand the significance of these chairs and I thought it was weird that they were taking up post there every day around the time the jury finishes for the day. Is the family waiting outside the jury room waiting for them to come out? Someone said they sit there so the jury would notice them. I remember yesterday or Friday posters saying that they hoped the Alexanders sitting in those chairs didn't backfire on them, so I don't get why now it is such a horrible thing for the other family to sit there. Maybe it'll backfire on them. To be quite honest if I was a juror I wouldn't appreciate having the victim's family (or the killer's for that matter) sitting there waiting for me to come out at the end of the day. I would feel like they would be putting a significant amount of pressure and somewhat of a guilt trip on me. If they were sitting there all day long I wouldn't think it was weird but to move there at closing time is just odd to me. Maybe the Arias' didn't realize that was where the family sat. As I understand it, they aren't in the courthouse unless something is happening.

I don't think you are going to get people who don't believe in the DP for her to change their minds. I think this ends up LWOP. I think that is the end of it and I will be glad.

Yes...of course...happy...

However they still have to all decide it fits the crime. IT is not just since she is eligible it is obvious kind of thing. Otherwise there would be no need for jurors to deliberate it. It is a decision made by the jurors and they have to believe that it is what she deserves for her crime.
I think there are a lot of people like me who think they could give the DP and believe in it but when it comes time, may not vote for it because it does not fit for them.

I respect that. I really do. However, in this particular case, what earth shattering evidence (not lies) did the Defense Team present during their penalty phase that would make anyone swing differently towards a life sentence VS the DP?

The way I see this case is the DT did not present anything new, except more lies. So what we knew before the case started is what we know now.

And therefore, if you didnt feel at the beginning of this phase that she deserved the DP, then a person should NOT have been on this jury. Because the DT did not present anything new and that means a person would have never had a chance to give her the DP.

Then there is APPARENTLY something very SERIOUSLY wrong with either the "vetting" system, OR the way Sherry picks a jury panel in SECRET!

Well, I'm beat for today. It's a little encouraging that the jury stayed late today. I've spent the last hour watching interviews the trial foreman gave immediately following the hung jury on sentencing. He actually believed all the mitigating factors!! Imagine that? He also met with Defense team prior to this sentencing phase to advise them not to put Jodi on the stand because she hurt herself during the trial by being on the stand those 18 days.

I'm wondering if he or any of the earlier jurors on this case have been seen in the courtroom. I know Juan brought one of the jurors to meet the Alexanders but were any others there?

that guy was a total stealth juror when it came to the sentence and dp. probably another one o this jury or Nurmi is way more convincing in person that we realize

I respect that. I really do. However, in this particular case, what earth shattering evidence (not lies) did the Defense Team present during their penalty phase that would make anyone swing differently towards a life sentence VS the DP?

The way I see this case is the DT did not present anything new, except more lies. So what we knew before the case started is what we know now.

And therefore, if you didnt feel at the beginning of this phase that she deserved the DP, then a person should NOT have been on this jury. Because the DT did not present anything new and that means a person would have never had a chance to give her the DP.

But, The people on this jury were not in on the first trial. They did not see everything and only got a snapshot of a trial to show them things that applied to the DP. So going in they could have no idea what she deserved or what they could vote for only that they could give the DP if warranted.

They were seeing it all for the first time and not even all that we saw. I have to say I was more ready for the DP after the first trial. I may have voted for DP then. I know this all sounds so odd. I am pretty perplexed by it all tonight. But I feel like today, I could not vote DP. I just feel like in this case justice is LWOP. Her never ever ever leaving that prison.

F'in kill you b!tch. I always thought what she accused him of, was actually her projecting herself onto him. She also claimed his traits for herself. She's almost a girl Tom Ripley.

Agreed. This would distort her perception of 'interpersonal relations' and her journal records ... female 'Tom Ripley' seems an apt description of the 'chameleon' character in this case. My opinion only.

Right. It's one thing to feel the death pensltu should only be given to serial killers or child killers, but I think if you do feel that way you should not be on a jury on a case that definitely had none of those factors because you have already predetermined that person should not get death because they are not serial killers or child killers.

But I guess it's a tricky thing. If you are asked if you could give death you are not being dishonest really. Even if you say you could, but only in certain cases. That could mean anything.

I believe in being totally honest with the court and the questions asked.

When I was asked if I could vote for death if the evidence/aggravators supported it... I had already done my own soul searching beforehand before the question was asked. We all knew already if selected to be on the case it was going to be a death penalty case. If I had had reservations of any kind I would have told the court. I would never ever want to be the reason for a hung jury because I had backtracked from my answer before the case even started.

As we know the majority of the time if it is a hung jury it is one lone wolf holdout when it comes to getting death. One vote shy of being unanimous. Now of course I know the first sentencing phase in this particular case was 8-4 with 8 wanting death. I wasn't shocked by that due to the defendant being a white female. I would have been absolutely shocked if it had been unanimous. But one cant say they will uphold their oath and then in deliberation room....all of a sudden decide they cant put someone to death after all. That mentality has cost millions of taxpayer dollars .........not only in this case but other deadlocked death penalty cases.

Its just not fair to the court system, the victim or the taxpayers.

Even though I didn't know I would be a selected juror on the death penalty case..... I knew there was a possibility when I received my summons for jury duty. It was then I began to think about it and had already reached my decision before jury selection. And all of these jurors also knew beforehand they would be sitting on a death penalty case. They had time to reflect and think about it from the moment they too received the jury summons.

I just believe in being totally honest and above board with the court even if it had meant I was not qualified to serve on a death penalty case. I would never want to sit on any case where I felt I could not fulfill my ethical civic duty that was asked of me.

I'm not a legal professional, but it's my understanding that to qualify for a DP jury you have to agree both that you can consider the DP, and that you can consider giving life. If your mindset before the trial even begins is that a guilty verdict automatically means the DP then you don't qualify any more than someone who refuses to vote for the DP.

I don't understand the significance of these chairs and I thought it was weird that they were taking up post there every day around the time the jury finishes for the day. Is the family waiting outside the jury room waiting for them to come out? Someone said they sit there so the jury would notice them. I remember yesterday or Friday posters saying that they hoped the Alexanders sitting in those chairs didn't backfire on them, so I don't get why now it is such a horrible thing for the other family to sit there. Maybe it'll backfire on them. To be quite honest if I was a juror I wouldn't appreciate having the victim's family (or the killer's for that matter) sitting there waiting for me to come out at the end of the day. I would feel like they would be putting a significant amount of pressure and somewhat of a guilt trip on me. If they were sitting there all day long I wouldn't think it was weird but to move there at closing time is just odd to me. Maybe the Arias' didn't realize that was where the family sat. As I understand it, they aren't in the courthouse unless something is happening.

IMO
I can help answer the BBM ones based on what I read.

For 1st part, they were waiting in a spot where the jury would normally walk by when leaving for the day.

For 2nd part, I agree with you. I dont think either side should do that.

For 3rd part, No, the JA clan definitely did it on purpose and stole TA families spot.
But the joke was on them because jury went out the back. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member