VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, they can give her one of the other sentences can't they. They don't have to declare that they are only hung on DP. Did that make sense?

Nope, life or death. The judge rules which kind of life sentence if it's life. Life would be the sentence either by the jury's verdict or deadlock.

From Cathy:
Katie Conner ‏@KatieJConner · 40s41 seconds ago

#TravisAlexander brother just walked into courtroom.

#JodiArias family also here #abc15

Am I correct when I say that DP is not their only choice. They have LWOP and LWP. So if they can't give her DP what is their problem with one of the others. Are they confused and think DP is their only choice or am I confused?

They have three choices. Life, death, or can't agree. If they hang or decide on life then the judge decides on if it's life without parole or life with parole after 25 years.

Yep. That's why it took so long yesterday and why the judge had to give the modified Allen charge. If she seems in any way to be pushing the jury to reach a verdict, it could be appealed on the grounds that since only the jury can find death, she's pushing for the DP, because hung = life.

I don't think so. I feel like all she wants them to do is see if they can come to a decision unanimously. That is all that charge means.It has no directive of what to decide. I will be very very surprised if they come back with death.
Still pondering today what I think and how I would vote.

I feel that this judge bombed this trial on purpose, and this phase pretty much proved it. I thought here where I live the legal system is bad but no where what this is in AZ.

What would the purpose be to do that?

From Troy:
Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 · 3m3 minutes ago

Other members of Alexander family waiting in the hall. #jodiarias

I have been spending my time while I am waiting for the verdict re-watching some of the original trial. Day 21 of her testimony is so unbelievable and smug. I wish these jurors could have seen it...

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 4m4 minutes ago

Jury in jury room.

Some Alexander family on the 5th floor opposite media.

Sandy Arias standing in between,next to elevator. #jodiarias

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Awkward! (quote snipped by me)

Good morning sweet justice seekers! :coffeews::heartbeat:
Candle is lit. Today is the day I'm sure. Prayers and good thoughts headin' up for the Alexander family as well as the jurors.

I have been looking around to find stats on what percentage of juries that were deadlocked and given the Allen Charge were able to come to a unanimous verdict--I am not having much luck. However, in my search I found this Florida Bar article on the Allen Charge being given and the potential for successful appeal. For those interested here is the link http://www.floridabar.org/divcom/jn/jnjournal01.nsf/Author/21AC5A6D2909065085256ADB005D62F6

After reading this, should the jury tell JSS that they are still deadlocked she needs to accept that and declare a hung jury. Nurmi has clearly anticipated the potential for yet another appeal issue as it relates to the Allen Charge UGH.

At the end of the day, if this jury hangs, the world and JA will know that some jurors believed, and refused to yield otherwise, that she deserved to die for her crime. And I hope to hear from these jurors in the future.

Here's a 2001 article from the ABA Journal (All About Allen) it states some percentages:

https://books.google.com/books?id=A...can a judge give allen charge to jury&f=false

RT by Tammy rose 5 & 6 are apparently mitigating factors.

I.M. Important ‏@freelancewoman 10m10 minutes ago

@debbngene They wanted "clarification" on 5&6, were NOT "hung", just asking! JSS cannot give them that, so had to read empasse. #jodiarias

What is #5 & #6. tweeter said the judge can't clarify that so that is why she read the empass statement.

The jurors had sent out 4 questions previously so the assumption is these are their fifth & sixth questions.

This is a sincere question. I've been looking for the section of the AZ State Constitution that Judge Stephens violated when she allowed secret testimony.

Does anyone know? AZL?

Because Sheppard v Maxwell https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/384/333/case.html From SCOTUS overturned Sheppard's conviction because he was not allowed to testify in secret.

I'd also highly recommend Reynolds Slow Cooker liners. It's almost like a condom for your crockpot! It's a clear bag-like thing you put in & around the crockpot. Put food in & cook. To clean, just pull bag out & throw it in the trash. I usually wipe it out w/a damp paper towel. They're in the store near the aluminum foil. So easy!
I just tried these for the first time yesterday. What a life changer! I'll never cook without them again!

I'll be back for the Cooper Harris case when it comes up.

does anyone know what this means? they werent hung after all?

Tammy Rose retweeted

I.M. Important ‏@freelancewoman · 12m12 minutes ago
@debbngene They wanted "clarification" on 5&6, were NOT "hung", just asking! JSS cannot give them that, so had to read empasse. #jodiarias

:seeya: I am following both Holly's case and the Mcstay's case ... but I am committed to the end of this "Circus" !

Looking forward to seeing y'all on those Forums as soon as this "Circus" is over !

:seeya:

Of course I'm all over the Holly Bobo case. I've got her pinned on my twitter asking just where is the Justice for Holly~

Like you, I'm here till the very end as well.

But, they can give her one of the other sentences can't they. They don't have to declare that they are only hung on DP. Did that make sense?
They can also be unanimous for Life, but then JSS takes it into LWOP or Life with possibility of release after 25 years. But most believe even with the latter, she's going nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee