Viable Suspect: Terry Hobbs - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Disingenuous? Um, no -- sorry. Simply fact (unless you think facts are "disingenuous").

TH's alibi is no worse than DE, JB, JM, and even JMB's to a point -- this is a bona fide fact.

One quick example being, JB's Uncle claiming DE wasn't even with JB when JB cut his lawn; and that is just one example, and is a direct comparison to DJ saying TH wasn't in his presence when he said he was.

Its disingenuous to change the subject to the wm3's alibis in a conversation about whether or not TH was interviewed in 1993.

Big deal. That's all they did, and that doesn't fill any objective observer with confidence in the investigation.

But it's something. They didn't "completely overlook" him.

Its disingenuous to change the subject to the wm3's alibis in a conversation about whether or not TH was interviewed in 1993.

I didn't bring that up, Zencompass did.

So now, instead of content, were labeling the posting method of people "disingenuous." LOL.

I didn't bring that up, Zencompass did.

So now, instead of content, were labeling the posting method of people "disingenuous." LOL.

Let's get back to content then. Are you now willing to admit that TH was almost certainly not asked to provide an alibi until 2007, and on the slim chance he was asked earlier, his alibi certainly wasn't checked until 2007?

Let's get back to content then. Are you now willing to admit that TH was almost certainly not asked to provide an alibi until 2007, and on the slim chance he was asked earlier, his alibi certainly wasn't checked until 2007?

No, because he and PH were both interviewed together at the time of the murders and no one knows what was discussed at said meeting Or how thoroughly his alibi was probed then. I'll say this though: he should have been as thoroughly investigated as JMB. All of the parents should e.

No, correcting a misconception. There's a difference.

Splitting hairs about the wording of my posts won't change the fact that TH is suspected by many of involvement in the murders of those children. God help him if he's innocent because he'll never be cleared at this stage, and for that he has the WMPD to thank for their original oversight in not clearing him straight away.

No, because he and PH were both interviewed together at the time of the murders and no one knows what was discussed at said meeting Or how thoroughly his alibi was probed then. I'll say this though: he should have been as thoroughly investigated as JMB. All of the parents should e.

So you've conveniently discarded David Jacoby's statement and Mike Allen's statement? Ah well, there's none so blind as those who don't want to see.

He provided an alibi: he was with Jacoby. You probably don't agree with said alibi, but he did provide one.

Do you have sources to the information pertaining to the biological fathers? I know MM's father was supposedly on the road. Still though, the point remains: every father should have been thoroughly investigated, not just TH. JMB was the only one who was. There is zero evidence that TH was "protected" by the WMPD: he was questioned (albeit, not thoroughly) and provided hair and print samples.

Hi Userid,

I know that we disagree about T.H. I disagree that T.H. had "an alibi..." because Jacoby denies seeing him for a good deal of the time.

It is because T.H. was not accountable for his time during crucial periods of time on May 5th evening that he really does not have an "alibi" - at least not
for the crucial periods of time.

I also found it interesting when Jacoby said that T.H. once dropped
him off and said he would return to get him but never did!

IMO either Jacoby realizes he was "used" as an alibi for portions of that evening or he knows more about what went on that fatal night.

Splitting hairs about the wording of my posts won't change the fact that TH is suspected by many of involvement in the murders of those children. God help him if he's innocent because he'll never be cleared at this stage, and for that he has the WMPD to thank for their original oversight in not clearing him straight away.

(To the bolded) Never said it would. Simply stating the fact that, the police did look at him, to an extent.

So you've conveniently discarded David Jacoby's statement and Mike Allen's statement? Ah well, there's none so blind as those who don't want to see.

Your pretentiousness is cute in this post, but neither statment changes the fact that TH and PH were interviewed together at the time of the murders.

If I'm "dismissing" Allen and Jacoby's statement, you're dismissing PH's statment where she admits this. So while we're being pretentious, I'll leave you with these words: look in the mirror for once.

Hi Userid,

I know that we disagree about T.H. I disagree that T.H. had "an alibi..." because Jacoby denies seeing him for a good deal of the time.

It is because T.H. was not accountable for his time during crucial periods of time on May 5th evening that he really does not have an "alibi" - at least not
for the crucial periods of time.

I also found it interesting when Jacoby said that T.H. once dropped
him off and said he would return to get him but never did!

Jacoby denies it, but nonetheless, TH gives that as an alibi. Whether it's true is another argument.

I can see why you would view him suspiciously based on Jacoby's non-collaboration. I view the WM3 in a similar light based on JB's Uncle's non-collaboration.

First of all, to counter all rumours and disinfo of possible contact between the wmpd and TH, please read this:

http://callahan.8k.com/hobbs_pasdar/l_mitchell_depo.pdf

I will transcribe this soon. Main points:

TH gave fingerprints, and palm prints.
TH did not give blood samples.
TH did not give hair samples.
TH was not interviewed, investigated, or contacted in any way before 2007.

The Hobbs house and adjoining premises were never searched.
The 1600 block of S.Mcauley was not canvassed.

Hobbs was a "natural" suspect, any failure to investigate him was a disgrace and his 2007 police interview was a farce.

As for Jacoby, I can't see him have anything to do with the murders, or transport or whatever. I think it's quite possible he lied for Hobbs, which would mean he probably suspected that Hobbs was not "clean". This in turn would mean he must have had doubts about the guilt of the WM3, that must now weigh heavy. After reading the Hobbs/Jacoby declarations for about the 50th time, I now think that it's possible that Hobbs left AH at home alone with the Two and later Three boys and went to Jacoby on his own on the first visit to play guitars. Jacoby was initially instructed to say AH was with him, and that the 3 boys were also seen (which Jacoby later declared as a dream, rather than a lie). This was in case PH later asked questions. At this time the boys were still alive, but when TH returned back to the house, the three boys were playing up the road, and had left AH alone. This, together with the fact that CB had maybe made further advances on AH, made him blow his top. Just speculation, but maybe a new angle.

Oh and another peculiar thing about the evening, in his police interview Hobbs says this:

Terry Hobbs: I, I believe I drive around a little bit more looking for them and then go back to David and Bobby's house and I drop Amanda off there

The peculiar thing: He hadn't been to the Jacobies before on this evening yet he say's he went back!

As for Jacoby, I can't see him have anything to do with the murders, or transport or whatever. I think it's quite possible he lied for Hobbs, which would mean he probably suspected that Hobbs was not "clean". This in turn would mean he must have had doubts about the guilt of the WM3, that must now weigh heavy. After reading the Hobbs/Jacoby declarations for about the 50th time, I now think that it's possible that Hobbs left AH at home alone with the Two and later Three boys and went to Jacoby on his own on the first visit to play guitars. Jacoby was initially instructed to say AH was with him, and that the 3 boys were also seen (which Jacoby later declared as a dream, rather than a lie). This was in case PH later asked questions. At this time the boys were still alive, but when TH returned back to the house, the three boys were playing up the road, and had left AH alone. This, together with the fact that CB had maybe made further advances on AH, made him blow his top. Just speculation, but maybe a new angle.

Oh and another peculiar thing about the evening, in his police interview Hobbs says this:

The peculiar thing: He hadn't been to the Jacobies before on this evening yet he say's he went back!

All of this we are bringing up now really leads me to the question: Why is TH being protected?

What do we know about his background? Wasn't his father some sort of religious leader? What else do we know about his background?

As many posters on WM3 boards, I found it hard to believe that TH was not investigated. This document seems to confirm the fact that he wasn't. I've transcribed the first 20 pages of the document with Lt. Mitchell's deposition. I think this is very important information, and like myself, I know a lot of people haven't got the time to sift through 80 page pdf's .

Terry Hobbs v. Natalie Pasdar, et al Deposition of: Larry Mitchell 11/10/2

EXAMINATION BY MR. WELLENBERGER:

Q. Okay. Lieutenant Mitchell, would you state your full name for the record, please?

A. Larry Kent Mitchell.
Q. And Lieutenant Mitchell, you are with the West Memphis Police Department?
A. Correct.
Q. And you are here today in response to a subpoena for the deposition of the West Memphis Police Department; is that correct?
A. Correct. Yes, sir.
Q. Let me show you what I’ve marked as Exhibit 1 and ask you if you recognize this document.
A. Yes, sir, I do recognize it.

BY MR. WELLENBERGER:

Q. And that is the subpoena or the deposition notice for your deposition today, correct?
A. Yes, sir.
Q. Now, you are designated by the West Memphis Police Department as their witness for this deposition?
A. Correct.
Q. And what did you do to prepare Cor the deposition?
A. I looked through various parts of the case file and as they pertain to the questions that were -- I was going to be asked that are in this notice of deposition.

Q. Did you also interview any of the other police officers or former police officers concerning the subject matter?
A. Did I interview anybody on it?
Q. Interview, discuss any of this with anybody else?
A. Yes, sir, briefly.
Q. And who did you talk?
A. Assistant Chief, Kike Allen, and Captain Brian Ridge and Officer -- excuse me. Sergeant Johnny Moore.
Q. Now, the first area of inquiry that we have is all communications that occurred before January 1, 2007 between the west Memphis Police Department and Terry Hobbs concerning his activities during the time in question. Time and question, as a defined term, that is from 3:00 p.m. on Kay 5, 1993 and ending at 10:00 p.m. on May 6th, 1993. Were there communications with Mr. Hobbs about his activities during this time period?

A. There were limited contacts with Mr. Hobbs. . Primarily the first contact was -- involved our dispatch log where contact was made with him on May 5, 1993 of the 3:00 to 11:00 shift. And that contact would start at 9:19 when the call was received, dispatched at 9:21. It's on Page 6 of that log.

Q. All right. And I'm going to hand you what's marked as Exhibit 5 to your deposition.
(WHEREUPON, THE ABOVE-MENTIONED DOCUMENT WAS PASSBD TO THE WITNESS.> BV MR. WELLENBERGER:

Q. Is that the log that you're referring to?
A. Yes, sir, it is.
Q. All right. Any other communications that occurred before January 1 between the West Memphis Police Department and Terry Hobbs concerning his activities during the time in question?

A. No other contacts with him before -- during that time period.
Q. All right. Okay.
A. Excuse me.
Q. The second area of communications
were between West Memphis Police Department and Terry Hobbs during the time in question. In other words, communications during the time in question as opposed to concerning his activities during the time in question. Do you understand that distinction?

A. Yes, sir, I believe so.
Q. And are there any communications other than those reflected in Exhibit 5 that you’re aware of that occurred during that time period?
A. No, sir, not during that time period.
Q. Next area of inquiry is, any videotape surveillance of the West Memphis Police Department offices during the time in question that would or might show the comings and goings of persons entering those offices. Are there any videotapes that might show comings and goings into the West Memphis Police Department on May 5 and May 6th, 1993?

A. No, sir, there are not.
Q. Were there ever?
A. No, sir. There was no recording, to my knowledge. After checking the records, there's no indication that there were any type of surveillance or recordings at any time during those years.

Q. All right. The next area of inquiry is, any background check made concerning Terry Hobbs at any time before January 1, 2007 in connection with the murders. And the murders are the three little boys whose bodies were discovered on May 6th.Was any background check made concerning Terry Hobbs at any time before January 1, 2007 in connection with the murder investigation?

A. The only records -- the only thing I could find viewing the case file was where Mr. Hobbs was fingerprinted; and that took place on January the 15th,1994.

Q. Okay. I'm going to hand you Exhibits 3 and Exhibits 4 to your deposition.
{WHEREUPON, THE ABOVE-MENTIONED DOCUMENT WAS PASSED TO THE WITNESS.)
BY MR. WELLENBERGER:

Q. Are those the records that you're referring to about fingerprints?
A. Yes, sir. Exhibit 4 is the set of prints both rolled inked -- fingerprints and palm prints that were done January 15th, 1994. And the Exhibit 3 is a list of test prints, sheets that were filled out by the West Memphis Police Department with not only Mr. Hobbs but also Pam Hobbs, Melissa Byers and Timothy Branch.

Q. Do you know who Timothy Branch is?
A. No, sir. I don't have any other information on him.
Q. Thank you. There was no NCCI (sic) report taken for Mr. Hobbs that you're aware of?
A. Are you referring to NCIC or...
Q. NCIC.*

A. Okay. No, sir, not that I've not that I've seen.
Q. And no blood samples?
A. Not that I've seen, sir.
Q. No hair samples?
A. Not that I've seen.
Q. And again, we're talking about before January 1, 2007.
A. Yes, sir.
Q. All right. Any investigation of Terry Hobbs related to the murders undertaken at any time before January 1, 2007?
A. Could you repeat the question? I'm sorry.
Q. Was there any investigation of Terry Hobbs related to the murders that was undertaken at any time before January 1, 2007?
A. I've not found anything of that nature in the records file.
Q. Okay. Did you have any communications with residents to the 1600 block of South McAuley Street that were conducted before January 1, 2007?

A. We have checked. There were area canvases done. Everything, though, was north of that particular area. Nothing on the -- nothing in the 1600 block of South McAuley.

Q. Okay. Now, have you brought with you every document that you were able to locate that's responsive to the documents to be produced section of the notice of deposition?

A. Yes, sir, everything that I'm aware of .
Q. All right. And there's one document that's left that we haven't discussed, and that's Exhibit 2. Would you tell us what Exhibit 2 is, please, sir?
(WHEREUPON, THE ABOVE-MENTIONED DOCUMENT WAS PASSED TO THE WITNESS.)

A. Yes, sir. This is a transcription of an interview done with Mark Byers on April -- excuse me, May 19th, 1993. And the investigators that were conducting this interview were Detective Brian Ridge and Lieutenant James Sudbury.
BY MR. WELLENBERGER:

Q. And in that -- you brought that statement because it refers to Terry Hobbs?
A. There are a couple references to Terry Hobbs in this statement, so that is why that was provided for you.
Q. And based on your review of the records and the conversations that you had with others at the West Memphis Police Department, do you believe that these are all the documents that you have relative to any investigation of Terry Hobbs or about Terry Hobbs before -- that existed before January 1, 2007?

A. That's correct, to the best of my belief.

MR. WELLENBERGER: I pass the witness.

EXAMINATION BY MS. DAVIS:

Q. Just to be clear, Lieutenant, there is no documentation anywhere in the West Memphis Police Department file that shows that Hob was -- Hobbs was investigated in any way regarding the murders prior to January 1st, 2007; is that correct?

A. Not that I've been able to locate, ma'am.
Q. My statement is correct? There's no -- there's no documentation that would show any investigation of Hobbs prior to January 1st, 2007?
A. Again, best -- none to my knowledge.
Q. There's no documentation anywhere in the West Memphis Police Department files that would show that Hobbs was even formally interviewed by the West Memphis Police Department prior to January 1st of 1007, correct ?
A. Correct.
Q. And there is no documentation anywhere in the West Memphis Police Department file that would show that any background check was done on Terry Hobbs by the West Memphis Police Department prior to January 1st of 2007?

A. Correct, to the best of my knowledge.

MR. WELLENBERGER: I'll pass the witness. Cody?
MR. THOMAS: This is Ted Thomas.
MR. WELLENBERGER: Ted, any questions?
MR. THOMAS: Yes, I have just a few .

EXAMINATION BY MR. THOMAS:

Q. Sir, is Terry Hobbs a suspect for the murder of those three little boys who was killed on -- in May of 1993?

MR. WELLENBERGER:
I'm going to object to the question. It's outside the scope of this deposition. And the West Memphis Police Department was not called to testify concerning that. And it's outside the scope of this deposition.

MS. DAVIS:Can we have an agreement that objection on behalf of one Defendant is good for all so that I don't slow things down by joining in, Ted?
MR. THOMAS: Okay. That's fine .
MR. WELLENBERGER: I can't instruct this witness not to answer. I'm just saying that it's outside the scope and if we're going to go outside the scope and try to get in to 2007, 2008, 2009, we're going to have a different deposition than we've got right now.

MR. PEEPLES: Well, and I'm not going to let him answer anything that's beyond what we've been noticed of to do here. So if you want to restate your question, maybe we can talk about it then.

BY MR. THOMAS:
Q. Do you know Ron Lax?
COURT REPORTER: I'm sorry. I didn't hear him.
MR. PEEPLES: Can you restate that?
BY MR. THOMAS:

Q. Do you know Ron Lax?
MR. WELLENBERGER: Again, I'm going to object to the question is outside the scope of the notice.
MR. THOMAS: Well, if the scope of the notice is the extent to which Terry Hobbs has been investigated, this is relevant to that question.

MR. WELLENBERGER: I think you were served with the notice and it has to do with the West Memphis Police Department, not Mr -- Lieutenant Mitchell's personal knowledge. And he's here to testify today on behalf of the West Memphis Police Department on certain designated categories of information, none of which have to do with Ron Lax.

MR. THOMAS: They do have to do with Ron Lax because Ron Lax assisted the defense and if Ron Lax had problems with the investigation conducted by the West Memphis Police Department about the manner that which the investigation was conducted, then he should have told the West Memphis Police Department about those back when he was helping the defense.

MR. WELLENBERGER: I'm not certain what you're trying to get at there, Ted, but I think that's outside the notice of this -- outside the scope of this deposition.

MR. THOMAS: The scope of the deposition pertains to the investigation of Terry Hobbs prior to January 1st, 2007, then suggestion from other persons as to what should have been done in the course of that investigation is relevant to the scope.

MR. WELLENBERGER: You can certainly rephrase the question to ask that. But that's not what you asked.

MR. THOMAS: Well, I have to make a foundation that he even knows Ron Lax before I can ask if Ron Lax communicated to him about the quality of his investigation.

MR. WELLENBERGER: I think that the West Memphis Police Department is the witness here, not Lieutenant Mitchell. And I think you -- you know, I think you can ask the question about what the West Memphis Police Department did or did not receive. Lieutenant Mitchell wasn't with the West Memphis Police Department before 2007, I don't think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

THE WITNESS: I've been with them since 1991.

MR. WELLENBERGER: 1991. I'm sorry.

BY MR. THOMAS:

Q. Lieutenant Mitchell, are you awa of any communication from any représentât of any of the three persons convicted to those crimes?
A. Repeat that for me, please, sir.
Q. Are you aware of any communication from any representative of the three persons who were convicted of the crime that suggest that you examine Terry Hobbs as a suspect for the crime?

MR. PEEPLES: And during what time frame is that question?

BY MR. THOMAS:

Q. From the date of the murders until, say, the year 2000.
A. No, sir, I'm not.
Q. Are you aware of whether or not -- scratch that.
MR. THOMAS: I'm going to check him with something past the 2000 frame. I believe that's all I have.
MR. WELLENBERGER: Okay. I think we're done.
(WHEREUPON, THE DEPOSITION CONCLUDED AT APPROXIMATELY 1:18 p.m.)

*NCIC : The National Crime Information Center, or NCIC, has been called the lifeline of law enforcement—an electronic clearinghouse of crime data that can be tapped into by virtually every criminal justice agency nationwide, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKP
Back