Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, it appears that it didn't take long at all for the prosecution to present their case or for the Judge to make a decision...what does that say?

I would assume due to the seriousness of the present charge and the fact he has been convicted of 3 prior felonies that that was enough for the judge to see red flags and deny the motion.

NBC29 ‏@NBC29 2m
Randy Taylor's bond hearing is wrapping up. @MarcellaNBC29 has the details coming up at 5.

I hate when they do that!

IMO that means they have nothing more than they have already said...

Yes, cub creek is off of 56... which is also called Crabtree Falls Highway... the property they are searching is a little bit up on cub creek... they are also apparently searching RAT's property too... I know the property owner on cub creek says the tire prints dont match, but LE has not said that... and frankly I dont agree, or buy that... I think LE specifically waited for this day to search... could be for a few different reasons I suppose... but thats just moo :)

Nadine Maeser ‏@nadine_maeser 6m
Randy Taylor waives right to preliminary hearing. Case will go to grand jury on September 26th at 9:30 am.

That puts an even greater amount of pressure on the Commonwealth to gather their evidence and get their stuff together. Ugh.

Yeah that sucks! I hope they find something that will stick very soon if they haven't already! Edited to add I wonder if her hair would be enough to possibly convict him considering the circumstances. Especially since so far she is no where to be found and until proven otherwise he was the last person to see her.

I hate to be so ignorant about the legal system, but what does this mean for Sept 26? Does this mean he'll be tried for abduction on that date? That's a little over one month away. If LE don't find her or anything else (phone, information, etc), he could go back out on the streets???

"Randy Taylor waived his right to a preliminary hearing. The case now goes straight to grand jury on September 26th at 9:30 a.m."

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/bon...day/-/20128466/21572490/-/wtfu25/-/index.html

I hate to be so ignorant about the legal system, but what does this mean for Sept 26? Does this mean he'll be tried for abduction on that date? That's a little over one month away. If LE don't find her or anything else (phone, information, etc), he could go back out on the streets???

"Randy Taylor waived his right to a preliminary hearing. The case now goes straight to grand jury on September 26th at 9:30 a.m."

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/bon...day/-/20128466/21572490/-/wtfu25/-/index.html

No trial on the 26th, the Grand Jury will look at the evidence and decide if the charge (felony abduction) should go to Circuit Court and/or be a greater charge. If all LE has is a single hair (which we are not even certain on that), then it will remain where it is, in J&D Court, if it even goes forward at all.

Man, how awful for Alexis' family to know that this RAT possibly has information about their Alexis, and there's not a darn thing they can do about it to get him to reveal her location. :(

I think its possible his son might unknowingly know something...he is a minor, so we can not discuss him specifically, but I hope (I am sure) LE is talking to him sensitively, with kid gloves, about all his trips with his dad and locations they have frequented. He might actually know more than he thinks he knows. Same with his mom.

They should maybe call in a child psychologist, if they haven't already.

My understanding is that the judge decides whether there is probable cause for someone to be arrested and held on criminal charges. Then the grand jury decides whether there is enough evidence to send the case to trial.

so the way I understanding this... media and family were allowed in but no cameras... hallahan was arguing that there was not enough evidence for the arrest let alone to hold without bail, lead investigator then asks for court room to be cleared, it is cleared, then presents other "sensitive" evidence, and then when Judge White reviews this evidence he then comes back with the decision to hold without bail... imo, this tells me, combined with aunts concern that hearing being public would release info that could jeaporidize investigation, tells me that they got some good evidence going, but dont want it out there to risk investigation or upcoming trial... moo moo mooooo

<Is there a thread for lawyer jokes? I am constantly reminded of them in this thread, you know the one about the bottom of the sea...>

Obviously they have RAT on tape following Alexis out of the gas station, and a hair at his camper that should not be there. Both can be explained away though. So that would be a tough call.

Phone we don't know yet if they found hers, or has there been news yet if hers was one of the ones found?

I wonder if they have RAT approaching Alexis at the gas station and talking to her. That just adds another layer, but still not enough for a conviction.

LE must have more than we know about that is for sure. Has to be.

Obviously they have RAT on tape following Alexis out of the gas station, and a hair at his camper that should not be there. Both can be explained away though. So that would be a tough call.

Phone we don't know yet if they found hers, or has there been news yet if hers was one of the ones found?

I wonder if they have RAT approaching Alexis at the gas station and talking to her. That just adds another layer, but still not enough for a conviction.

LE must have more than we know about that is for sure. Has to be.

Not to bring up CA here, but it seems like nothing is good enough to convict anyone anymore even a dead baby. But let me speed down the road without a seatbelt and they'll get me good! haha. It's not funny but at the same time wth?

OMG what if she ran her fingers through her hair while talking to him at the gas station and one flew out of her scalp and onto his shirt (without anyone noticing) then it stuck to him until he got back to the trailer and came off there?!?! :O

The way it works from here is that the charge that resulted in the arrest will now be presented to a grand jury in lieu of a preliminary hearing. Like a petit jury that tries cases, people from the jurisdiction are summoned for duty on the grand jury that meets at the beginning of each court's "term." The grand jury is sworn in and hears all of the cases for that term. The workings of the grand jury are not open to the public. After hearing evidence on probable cause, they will either return a "true bill" and indict Taylor for that charge (or others). The case will be tried in Circuit Court on the indictment. If a true bill is not returned, the charges are dismissed altogether. I hope this helps everyone understand Virginia procedure:)

so the way I understanding this... media and family were allowed in but no cameras... hallahan was arguing that there was not enough evidence for the arrest let alone to hold without bail, lead investigator then asks for court room to be cleared, it is cleared, then presents other "sensitive" evidence, and then when Judge White reviews this evidence he then comes back with the decision to hold without bail... imo, this tells me, combined with aunts concern that hearing being public would release info that could jeaporidize investigation, tells me that they got some good evidence going, but dont want it out there to risk investigation or upcoming trial... moo moo mooooo

Agreed, It may not feel like it but I think the wheels of justice just took a big turn. It's coming for you RAT. Now lets find Alexis, hoping these searches bring new hope :please:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734