Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see familial DNA being used to see if a deceased suspect whose remains are no longer available is most likely the right person, in order to close a case, if DNA is discovered after a suspect dies. That seems like it would be useful.

It was obvious his employment was based around autos due to fact based accounts; that he liked cars. An anonymous person stating he was "an avid car buff" is not a fact; it is Anon's view of RAT's fondness.

And his criminal record is public. An "anonymous" and un-named source mean nothing to me. I could care less what one neighbor's opinion is of him- especially an un-named one.

I am entitled to my opinion and how and what I wish to view as important pertaining to any case on WS.- per the TOS of this site. Agree to disagree; roll n scroll.

Agree to disagree. I am moving on.:seeya:

I do agree though that the media tends to sensationalize hot topics. But I honestly feel the article was trying to write a story about his overall purported character. <snip>

That is exactly why the Commonwealth's Attorney wanted the bond hearing closed

Marilyn and Sam Sheppard. Sam Sheppard's conviction for murdering Marilyn was reversed by the Supreme Court in 1966 because of the prejudicial publicity surrounding the trial

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9777359&postcount=300"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #6[/ame]

http://www.wset.com/story/23242986/fundraiser-for-alexis-murphys-family-saturday-in-roseland

Nelson Co., VA - Alexis Murphy's family is preparing to mark the three week anniversary of her disappearance Saturday.

Law enforcement officials say they've searched 10 - 12 different properties in Nelson County alone and located several cell phones, some along the Route 29 corridor and some along route six. What they won't say is whether one of those cell phones belongs to Alexis Murphy.

Investigators don't believe those tire tracks were involved in Alexis' disappearance. Those tracks don't match Randy Taylor's vehicle, and they've actually located the person who left them.

There was also some initial speculation that Randy Taylor was the Route 29 stalker, but investigators say that is not the case. Taylor was incarcerated during that period of time.

Marilyn and Sam Sheppard. Sam Sheppard's conviction for murdering Marilyn was reversed by the Supreme Court in 1966 because of the prejudicial publicity surrounding the trial

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #6

Fair enough. I agree we do not want to convict on the court of public opinion. However, this case really is not receiving much attention in the Charlottesville area. UVA students are just returning and no one I have talked to has even heard of the case. There are no flyers in the places I shopped today. There was a brief mention on NBC29 of the AM case regarding her mother's inability to work at this point and a fundraiser in Nelson county to help AM's family.

Regarding familial DNA: I don't think they are talking about DNA from a RAT family member. I think they are talking about familial DNA from a relative of Alexis.

Wasn't the reason for early FBI involvement down to familial reasons and we all wondered what that meant?

VIRGINIA VICTIM ASSISTANCE NETWORK - (formerly the Virginia Network for Victims and Witnesses of Crime, Inc.
Mailing Address: and Contact Information
9616 University Boulevard
Richmond, VA 23229
PHONE: (804) 674-3081 ext. 1180
FAX: 804-674-3284
Becky Sirles ........................................................................................................... (804) 363-6709
President
Victim Advocate (Retired)

http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/victims/documents/victimAssistanceDirectory.pdf

Regarding familial DNA: I don't think they are talking about DNA from a RAT family member. I think they are talking about familial DNA from a relative of Alexis.

If - and this is a big if - the two stories are connected (familial DNA and the Alexis Murphy case) it wouldn't be from a relative of hers because the familial DNA case says the person has been arrested. This arrest was done by comparing the familial DNA to DNA at the crime scene and then to the suspect's DNA.

Thank you. This case is really bothering me. Mainly because they should've come up with something by now, no matter how small. If they were looking in the right direction, that is. I've seen missing people get found much quicker in the 1970's and 1980's -- with less technology, if any. Something is wrong here.

Main Street, welcome to websleuths.
Although the actual number is unknown, it is estimated that there is over 100,000 missing person cold cases in the USA. Many of these missing persons have been missing for decades.. The (NCIC) Missing Person File was not implemented until 1975. Those missing before this date aren't included.
Many will be found by hunters, fishermen, hikers, landowners, and other outdoorpersons, SARs, etc... But sadly many may never be located..

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nc...n-and-unidentified-person-statistics-for-2012

NCIC Missing Person and Unidentified Person Statistics for 2012
Pursuant to Public Law 101-647, 104 Statute 4967, Crime Control Act of 1990 Requirements

NCIC Missing Person File

The National Crime Information Center’s (NCIC) Missing Person File was implemented in 1975. Records in the Missing Person File are retained indefinitely, until the individual is located, or the record is canceled by the entering agency.

Thank you. This case is really bothering me. Mainly because they should've come up with something by now, no matter how small. If they were looking in the right direction, that is. I've seen missing people get found much quicker in the 1970's and 1980's -- with less technology, if any. Something is wrong here.

There were plenty of missing people in the 1970s and '80s who were never found or who weren't found within a few weeks or months. If you want, I can start to rattle off dozens and dozens of such cases. One involves an Orlando girl who disappeared in the early 1970s. There are several girls, who are thought to be victims of the Green River Killer, who have never been found. I respect your opinion, but I'm not sure it jives with the facts.

By the way, regarding another post you've made, I know of nobody who thought or wanted the Boston Marathon bomber to be a crazy white guy. Almost everything I read or heard after the bombings talked about dark-skinned individuals, possibly African American, and there was a lot of conjecture about terrorists.

It is a rush to judgment when people make accusations without facts. But we do have facts in this case, and one of those facts is that police have charged RAT with abducting Alexis. Law enforcement officers can be wrong. But I generally give them the benefit of the doubt when they make an arrest. False arrest is a serious matter which can lead to lawsuits and all sorts of issues.

By the way, it would be might coincidental for one person to be the last known individual to see a teenage girl in two different cases. Consider how unlikely that is for a moment. I would put the odds at possibly 1 in 10 million.

Keep trying to post, keep getting bumped, taking chances here, but must say.

Deleted.

Too many computer problems. See ya'll when it is not risky to be on here anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momrids6 View Post

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #6

Fair enough. I agree we do not want to convict on the court of public opinion. However, this case really is not receiving much attention in the Charlottesville area. UVA students are just returning and no one I have talked to has even heard of the case. There are no flyers in the places I shopped today. There was a brief mention on NBC29 of the AM case regarding her mother's inability to work at this point and a fundraiser in Nelson county to help AM's family.

RAT, will get his day in court and imo, prejudicial publicity was not the primary reason for the Judge sealing search evidence, nor the Commonwealth's Attorney wanting the bond hearing closed. A verdict reversed by the Supreme Court in 1966 because of prejudicial publicity would have little bearing on this case imo.

RE: this case really is not receiving much attention in the Charlottesville area. UVA students are just returning and no one I have talked to has even heard of the case.

Jediva, imo, you answered the question as to why there an attempt by the justice system to silence Alexis Murphy's abduction case.. Ted Bundy's attack on FSU coeds in January, 1978
were prior to the return of students from Christmas break. Many parents refused to send their daughters back to FSU once the ms media was alerted..
The last known serial killer who abducted an FSU nurse was in 2007. LE denied that a sk was active in the area due to the lessons learned in the Bundy case. Once the sk was captured after taking another victim in GA, all evidence was sealed or redacted by the judge. Deja vu?
Ironically, FL is known as the 'Sunshine' state...

snopes.com: Tallahassee Decapitation Serial Killer
E-mail claims that several homicides in the Florida/Georgia area are all the work of a single serial killer who dismembers his victims.
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/nohead.asp

If - and this is a big if - the two stories are connected (familial DNA and the Alexis Murphy case) it wouldn't be from a relative of hers because the familial DNA case says the person has been arrested. This arrest was done by comparing the familial DNA to DNA at the crime scene and then to the suspect's DNA.

I haven't been following much of this stuff for the past few days. So I only read a few comments about this familial DNA thing. It looks like the story says the DNA is from a family member of the suspect.

Hi, it's just after 2am on Saturday in England, Alexis has now been missing 3 weeks. My heart goes out to her family. I can't imagine what they are going through.

It must be horrendous also for LE. There seems to be such a huge radius where RAT could have stashed Alexis, or buried her body, it must be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I hope she's found soon for her family's sake.

http://www.wset.com/story/23242986/fundraiser-for-alexis-murphys-family-saturday-in-roseland

Nelson Co., VA - Alexis Murphy's family is preparing to mark the three week anniversary of her disappearance Saturday.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that lead sentence rather insensitive. I am not related to Ms Murphy, but I feel it almost an impossibility to prepare to mark a three week anniversary of a missing child's disappearance. I doubt her mother and siblings have accepted tomorrow will come without her. They'll only accept it once tomorrow comes, not before. It's autonomic...a coping mechanism. Sigh...

Apologies...just had to vent that out.

I haven't been following much of this stuff for the past few days. So I only read a few comments about this familial DNA thing. It looks like the story says the DNA is from a family member of the suspect.

Bear in mind, there has been absolutely no acknowledgement by LE of this having anything to do with RAT or this case. It is believed by many that it very well may be somehow linked to RAT in some way or another though.

:crazy:
It is one thing to question the validity of people quoted in a newspaper story. It is something different entirely to do so in a way that is condescending.

Thanks! I thought it was a bit snarky myself. Being new to the forum I had no idea if I did something offensive. Anyway I presume the forum to be based on speculation and facts, hence sleuthing. It is fun to gather everyone's perspective, like pieces of a puzzle, and come up with your own theory as to what happened. Everyone has offered different and viable hypotheses, which makes this forum highly addictive.

It is a rush to judgment when people make accusations without facts. But we do have facts in this case, and one of those facts is that police have charged RAT with abducting Alexis. Law enforcement officers can be wrong. But I generally give them the benefit of the doubt when they make an arrest. False arrest is a serious matter which can lead to lawsuits and all sorts of issues.

By the way, it would be might coincidental for one person to be the last known individual to see a teenage girl in two different cases. Consider how unlikely that is for a moment. I would put the odds at possibly 1 in 10 million.

He'd be the most unlucky SOB alive. I think it's beyond hinky!

I went to the rockingham co fair (from Richmond) on Aug, 15th. We stopped for gas in waynesboro and I saw missing Alexis posters hanging up.

I think it's being publicized, but not a lot of young people pay attention to this type if thing. I'm 28, my daughters babysitter is a college student (21) at VCU and had no idea about Alexis.

I'm young, i hesitate using age as an excuse, but some people just don't follow the news, you know?

*edit: it's that "I'm young and untouchable...nothing bad can happen to me" way of thinking! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member