Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to share these images from yesterdays searches. 6 y/o Rika.

BSSjlLeIUAANKxP.jpg

BSUwPx_IcAAGr_x.jpg

https://twitter.com/KLOVEREPORTER

Puppppppppy!!!

DO want!!!!

(Have to keep reminding myself that I don't have the time or space for a dog right now....)

You can't make an arrest on familial DNA, and the fact so many people take it that way is one of the big concerns about allowing it to be used for law enforcement purposes. Just because somebody's related to a criminal doesn't make them guilty of the other person's crimes.

You are correct, however, I doubt it will be widely used by law enforcement - the cost would be prohibitive and so far seems to be used only in cold cases where several are linked by similar DNA which isn't found a state's database. Only a handful of states use it. I'm sure it will be controversial from a defense viewpoint.

The last paragraph in this excerpt from an article in Forensic Magazine tells how they go from familial DNA to obtaining a suspect's DNA. I would imagine the courts would be involved in having a suspect agree to be swabbed for DNA.

http://www.forensicmag.com/news/2013/08/familiar-dna-leads-arrest-virginia#.UhfZFLxpcy5

Some states have shunned the controversial approach to track violent offenders because of privacy or fairness concerns. It was approved for use in Virginia in 2011.

Virginia, a national leader in DNA testing, requires that persons convicted of certain crimes provide a sample of their DNA for inclusion in a state databank. When DNA found at a crime scene does not match any genetic fingerprint in state or national databases, investigators often run into a dead end in important cases that have gone cold.

Under the familial DNA program, genetic profiles left at crime scenes can be used to find near-matches in databases that could be a suspect’s close relative. Then investigators hunt down the suspect to get his or her DNA sample for a traditional DNA test.

unless you know RAT personally, you probably can't guess where he goes and when he goes there. But if anyone has seen him around any of these places, then it would be very much appreciated if you posted it. No one, especially me, is accusing any of these salvage businesses of collaborating with a serial
killer! On the other hand, hiding a body, by the criminal, not the biz owner, in one of these places, has happened without owners knowledge! also, as we know, people hide bodies on unwitting people's property.

Why post info here? If anyone has a tip, they should call LE. :twocents:

Regarding familial DNA: I don't think they are talking about DNA from a RAT family member. I think they are talking about familial DNA from a relative of Alexis.

Hi all,

The Hook (August 22) edition has an interesting article on RAT. The article cites personal experiences with RAT in the past. The man who filed a criminal complaint in August 2004 of brandishing a weapon and stalking gave an account of the incident. He stated that RAT was driving a red Toyota, which followed him to the corner of Georgetown Road (where RAT once lived). He pulled out a black pistol and pointed it at him.

Another person who accused RAT of curse and abuse, also in 2004, stated that RAT yelled the words, 'Don't get out of the car you punkass motherf***er.'

Another former friend said RAT enjoys watching crime shows, especially 48 Hours and CSI. The friend also said he was a car buff. RAT apparently hung out with a group of guys who shared his intense interest in cars. RAT even once drove a 20 year old Chevy Caprice (the same type of car he claims CRD drives).

A former neighbor in Orange County (where RAT lived at the same time SC disappeared) described RAT as creepy. She even stated that RAT spat at her husband and his friend several times out his car window whilst making unfriendly statements. She would not let RAT near her home.

It appears a lot of his violent streaks happen while in the car.

Hi all,

The Hook (August 22) edition has an interesting article on RAT. The article cites personal experiences with RAT in the past. The man who filed a criminal complaint in August 2004 of brandishing a weapon and stalking gave an account of the incident. He stated that RAT was driving a red Toyota, which followed him to the corner of Georgetown Road (where RAT once lived). He pulled out a black pistol and pointed it at him.

Another person who accused RAT of curse and abuse, also in 2004, stated that RAT yelled the words, 'Don't get out of the car you punkass motherf***er.'

Another former friend said RAT enjoys watching crime shows, especially 48 Hours and CSI. The friend also said he was a car buff. RAT apparently hung out with a group of guys who shared his intense interest in cars. RAT even once drove a 20 year old Chevy Caprice (the same type of car he claims CRD drives).

A former neighbor in Orange County (where RAT lived at the same time SC disappeared) described RAT as creepy. She even stated that RAT spat at her husband and his friend several times out his car window whilst making unfriendly statements. She would not let RAT near her home.

I'll stick with facts.

Haven't I seen this mindset before? Yes, right after the Boston bombings. People hoped to the point they were certain the bomber was a crazy white guy. But you see you who they found it was. I'm not trying to anger anyone but I am seeing the same basic mentality: it's definitely the grubby white guy who lives in a camper. No evidence yet but we know it's him. We can tell.

I'm curious about something else. The mother & aunt and I think a couple of other family members have spoken on camera, and are prominently mentioned in most of the news stories. But nothing, not a word, from or about the father.

I'm sorry but that really stands out to me. There must be a reason.

Welcome MainStreet, guests and all new members :)

:welcome:

The personal accounts are consistent with the facts. The point is that people who specifically knew of him throughout the years and in different locations report him to be very unfriendly. I can only recall one person who stated he was nice and that was probably because she was actively paying him for his services.

Welcome MainStreet, guests and all new members :):welcome:

Thank you. This case is really bothering me. Mainly because they should've come up with something by now, no matter how small. If they were looking in the right direction, that is. I've seen missing people get found much quicker in the 1970's and 1980's -- with less technology, if any. Something is wrong here.

Thank you. This case is really bothering me. Mainly because they should've come up with something by now, no matter how small. If they were looking in the right direction, that is. I've seen missing people get found much quicker in the 1970's and 1980's -- with less technology, if any. Something is wrong here.

I'm thinking the reason it is taking so long to find Alexis is because we are dealing with a very developed and experienced perp. I think LE is really trying, and has committed a lot of manpower and resources to this case, but they just really have their hands full with this one. :( JMO.

The personal accounts are consistent with the facts. The point is that people who specifically knew of him throughout the years and in different locations report him to be very unfriendly. I can only recall one person who stated he was nice and that was probably because she was actively paying him for his services.

It is opinion, imo- and for me, has zero to do with finding Alexis, just MSM pot stirring.

It sure does, doesn't it?

It seems that he may do a lot of enraged thinking in his car and must spend a ton of time in it. I would venture to say he spent more time in his car than in his camper.

It seems that he may do a lot of enraged thinking in his car and must spend a ton of time in it. I would venture to say he spent more time in his car than in his camper.

And so many occupations involving cars...repo man, car wash, auto detailing, painting, car lot, mechanic...

I have stated here in several posts that I think this relationship to cars is important, and could hold the key to Alexis's (and perhaps others') whereabouts.

I still think he has a man cave / garage type place somewhere that LE hasn't found yet. He would just have to (unless his house served as this place). This location maybe even has a second room, false wall, or underground area for his "other" activities. JMO.

Also, obviously some of his acquaintances may be in this same industry as well.

It is opinion, imo- and for me, has zero to do with finding Alexis, just MSM pot stirring.

The fact that he was an avid car buff may attest to how RAT proceeded in concealing AM. Several sleuths on this forum have already tried to make the connection upstream citing junkyards and his experience in working at a used car lot. His past personal encounters could be used in a criminal trial, especially those he was convicted of (brandishing and stalking). So in that regard it could be used to help convict him of at least abduction.

The fact that he was an avid car buff may attest to how RAT proceeded in concealing AM. Several sleuths on this forum have already tried to make the connection upstream citing junkyards and his experience in working at a used car lot. His past personal encounters could be used in a criminal trial, especially those he was convicted of (brandishing and stalking). So in that regard it could be used to help convict him of at least abduction.

It was obvious his employment was based around autos due to fact based accounts; that he liked cars. An anonymous person stating he was "an avid car buff" is not a fact; it is Anon's view of RAT's fondness.

And his criminal record is public. An "anonymous" and un-named source mean nothing to me. I could care less what one neighbor's opinion is of him- especially an un-named one.

I am entitled to my opinion and how and what I wish to view as important pertaining to any case on WS.- per the TOS of this site. Agree to disagree;

I do agree though that the media tends to sensationalize hot topics. But I honestly feel the article was trying to write a story about his overall purported character. FYI, it was not even the headline story. Children going back to school lead the paper. I think that is disappointing.

There was an interview with Alexis' father. He surfaced in Harrisonburg during the first few days after she went missing. He said he had posted fliers locally and thought he should expand his own personal search. He has said little more.

Something that concerns me:
It appears that dad, Troy Brown, has ties to Roseland, too. RAT's family, via his child, are in Roseland, too. That is also the area where RAT was spotted on the Monday after Alexis went missing. Just yesterday, searches were also conducted in the general area near Roseland.

Most of us have felt that RAT honed in on Alexis over a period of time and that this was not simply a crime of opportunity but a planned/premeditated interaction. But given that her father has ties too the same small town as RATs extended family it just seems like Alexis' disappearance may also have been very targeted...perhaps some type vendetta.

Recently, I said I thought LE should look for Alexis right near her family residences. Now, I think they should look very near her father's residence as well. (The fact that the car was left right near her paternal grandmother's apartment seems calculated to me.)

This RAT may be very sadistic and that would be an extra blow to the family who are his extended victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StuartGotz